Cornwall Football Forum

Callington lose manager

Shame to see Shaun step down always regard him as a genuine sort of guy. Don't know the reason for his decision, but I felt for him last Saturday against Wendron as didn't deserve the 8-1 defeat scoreline and surely there should be someone else available to do the likes of teamsheet duties etc. 

Where do Callington go from here? Do they try and ride out this season and then look to change their policy and revert to a more local set-up?

9 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Shame to see Shaun step down always regard him as a genuine sort of guy. Don't know the reason for his decision, but I felt for him last Saturday against Wendron as didn't deserve the 8-1 defeat scoreline and surely there should be someone else available to do the likes of teamsheet duties etc. 

Where do Callington go from here? Do they try and ride out this season and then look to change their policy and revert to a more local set-up?

I think the chairman burnt his bridges with a local set up with the WhatsApp fiasco couple seasons ago when local players were told they were not wanted,with the players they have used last few years from Plymouth etc they are no better off in the league than they were back few seasons ago,what happens now is the question, with  many players there only because of Shaun,....going to a local set up which I feel they should , as there are plenty good players locally, and more local interest........it will be a interesting few weeks , but I will be watching gunnislake and st Dominic for my local football fix I'm afraid......

Ok we know I'm the Chairman of Callington Town but who are you. Seem to know a lot about Callington perhaps a little obsessed to honest. At no time have local players been unwelcome at Callington if they prefer playing for Gunnislake or St Dominic good luck to them have friends in both Clubs and wish them and thier chosen clubs all the best. Very pleased to be St Dominic's chosen pitch contractor. 

9 hours ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Ok we know I'm the Chairman of Callington Town but who are you. Seem to know a lot about Callington perhaps a little obsessed to honest. At no time have local players been unwelcome at Callington if they prefer playing for Gunnislake or St Dominic good luck to them have friends in both Clubs and wish them and thier chosen clubs all the best. Very pleased to be St Dominic's chosen pitch contractor. 

Times have certainly changed when callington can’t even entice players playing football for gunnerslake or st Dominick . Sounds like the club needs a re think.  

• Dave Deacon changed the title to Callington lose manager
10 hours ago, tamar.man said:

I think the chairman burnt his bridges with a local set up with the WhatsApp fiasco couple seasons ago when local players were told they were not wanted,with the players they have used last few years from Plymouth etc they are no better off in the league than they were back few seasons ago,what happens now is the question, with  many players there only because of Shaun,....going to a local set up which I feel they should , as there are plenty good players locally, and more local interest........it will be a interesting few weeks , but I will be watching gunnislake and st Dominic for my local football fix I'm afraid......

Feel obliged to reply, from my point of view the club on the pitch is in a better condition than when i joined, i think consecutive bottom 3 finishes before that if im not mistaken, finished 9th last year, clubs highest in the Premier division, i think i can hold my head high, its not success but its all relative, and this season Callington lads Jake Mead Crebbin, Dan Paton, Ben Langton, Kev McCallion have all represented the club, Andre Rudyukov has re signed and Tavistock lads Harry Eaton and Alex Lowe are regulars, its not for the want of trying, many thanks 

50 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Although with St Dominick and Gunnislake going well, why should any of their players feel the need to move?

The facilities at callington r way above st Dom n gunni at the moment,but I'm guessing both clubs will be making improvements as they climb the leagues.

It's when they climb the leagues that things go pear shaped.

Its ok winning games in their current leagues as the standard is so poor, but when they get out of their relevant league and into a more competitive league where the standard is better and the travel becomes longer, that's when you find things out.

They might get away with it however as facilities wise, both are restricted as to what they can do so they might be confined to their current leagues for a while and can enjoy winning 10-0 every week.

But back to the matter in hand, local players from what I have seen are not good enough, you could argue a case for McCallion and Langdon maybe but both have struggled to hold down clubs at this level, the GK has got lots to prove, Paton rarely ever started, Rudyukov was finished years ago. Eaton and Lowe are Tavistock lads so that doesn't count.

I don't envy any Manager coming into the club, club has lots of potential but never going to win the race against local players v city players.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

In what way has it? Surely without good enough players, it has very little potential!

Bottom line is money Dave.  Callingtons location means the better players don’t have to travel far to get paid much more than callington can offer.  It’s really as simple as that. 

for callington to attract those players they would need to at least start matching what those around them can pay and that’s probably not sustainable for them.  

I do agree with the sentiment above about the amounts some players demand to play.  Some of the conversations I found myself having earlier this season was quite staggering. 

What’s the average player asking for these days Dane? I’ve heard some horror stories mate!! If you were getting £50 back in my day you were a top player!! Bet that’s peanuts now ain’t it mate? Always felt guilty if I played 💩 crap! Used to think I’ve just cost the club 10 spectators coming through the gate to play like that!! 🥺 Lovely to see clubs put money into their facilities these days, clubs like Mullion and Bude getting floodlights etc. I know talented players deserve a few quid but some of the sums are crazy, just need a bit of perspective on it. Like you said though Dane, if you’re not competitive you get left behind don’t you mate!! Unless you’re Wendron! 😀👏🏼👍

I think we’re at a real crossroads in Cornish football. The step 5/6 restructure, changing of the step 7 status and funding access at that level, restructure of leagues from St Piran down (change to one player one club registration), cost of living crisis and the general malaise in player commitment will be leading many clubs to consider their options. For those of us in the St Piran League or those smaller Peninsula clubs, do we push on and try to compete with the “money clubs” that will be left paying players (lunacy next year in my opinion) at step 6, or do we stay where we are and consolidate? I applaud the likes of Callington, St Dennis, Godolphin, Bude, Mullion etc in improving their facilities and making the jump up, but it terrifies me in terms of the additional costs and workload involved and how fragile many clubs are when players can up sticks and leave them in the lurch for a quid. Makes me wonder what Cornish football will look like in 5 years’ time. 

Will be interesting to see how Wendron progress at step 5 level next season (looks very likely that this is where they will be). Understand that they don't pay their squad, but how will this stand up when they are competing with the likes of Mousehole (assuming they don't go up), Helston and Falmouth in their immediate area for players required to bolster their ranks and keep what they have now ( will they become vulnerable to raids from other clubs splashing the cash).

19 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Will be interesting to see how Wendron progress at step 5 level next season (looks very likely that this is where they will be). Understand that they don't pay their squad, but how will this stand up when they are competing with the likes of Mousehole (assuming they don't go up), Helston and Falmouth in their immediate area for players required to bolster their ranks and keep what they have now ( will they become vulnerable to raids from other clubs splashing the cash).

Wendron don't appear to have a detrimental problem holding on to their players at present despite Mousehole, Helston and Falmouth all at the higher ranking and all being in the vicinity of the club.
Of course what if, should they and could they will always come in to the equasion, but Wendron appear to have a team of lads who are pleased to be associated with the club and actually play for the love of the game and the club and not the love of money.
A lesson to be learned at this level perhaps ?

Callington, like a number of clubs, in my view, are guilty of wanting overnight success. Patience is the key, and signing loyal players (local’ish if possible) on an upward trajectory. It’s great what Neil Price is doing at Launceston from more or less nothing. The recent draw at Wadebridge seems to be a good indication in which directors the club is going, from an extremely difficult start. If he’s their manager for the next 2/3 years, it wouldn’t surprise that the club will be in a very strong position on and off the field, plus I think they would start to attract players that would probably have looked at Callington first.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Will certainly be interesting to see how Wendron get on next season. On the topic of spending, although they have had organic success this season (and in the last season or two), they havent always been successful at this level. It takes time for a club paying no money to have success.... clubs just dont want to wait these days

19 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Callington, like a number of clubs, in my view, are guilty of wanting overnight success. Patience is the key, and signing loyal players (local’ish if possible) on an upward trajectory. It’s great what Neil Price is doing at Launceston from more or less nothing. The recent draw at Wadebridge seems to be a good indication in which directors the club is going, from an extremely difficult start. If he’s their manager for the next 2/3 years, it wouldn’t surprise that the club will be in a very strong position on and off the field, plus I think they would start to attract players that would probably have looked at Callington first.

The approach that Neil Price is taking at Launceston is, logically, the only way to go for Cornish clubs (he has said it himself in interviews). He did have an advantage in that he came in with a with a clean slate in terms of not knowing much about the local scene or personalities, and also that Launceston's expectations are not that of the likes of Blazey and Bodmin for example.

On 24/01/2023 at 19:13, MattP said:

I think we’re at a real crossroads in Cornish football. The step 5/6 restructure, changing of the step 7 status and funding access at that level, restructure of leagues from St Piran down (change to one player one club registration), cost of living crisis and the general malaise in player commitment will be leading many clubs to consider their options. For those of us in the St Piran League or those smaller Peninsula clubs, do we push on and try to compete with the “money clubs” that will be left paying players (lunacy next year in my opinion) at step 6, or do we stay where we are and consolidate? I applaud the likes of Callington, St Dennis, Godolphin, Bude, Mullion etc in improving their facilities and making the jump up, but it terrifies me in terms of the additional costs and workload involved and how fragile many clubs are when players can up sticks and leave them in the lurch for a quid. Makes me wonder what Cornish football will look like in 5 years’ time. 

If you knew the budget at St Dennis, you would fall of your seat.

Likewise, the success Wadebridge seem to be having is due to money being paid out.

9 hours ago, teflon123 said:

If you knew the budget at St Dennis, you would fall of your seat.

Likewise, the success Wadebridge seem to be having is due to money being paid out.

Please help us avoid the embarrassment of falling off our seats and diviluge what you obviously know to be the St Dennis budget !
Whatever it is, it doesn't appear to be having any affect with their results as yet.

The only people who know what the true budgets are, are the people putting their hands in their pockets and giving cash, taxable cash (declared), incentives, boots and training kit, "travelling expenses", beer money, holidays, money off vouchers for their company`s etc etc etc,,,, the list is endless and will never be honestly divulged for fear of embarrassment, tax implications and many other factors.

MQx 

Who was it who said, "The love of money is the root of all evil"?

Few Clubs can sustain a large "budget" over a number of years, relying upon generous benefactors - who can walk away at any time; investing in the infrastructure, as Wendron (& a few others) have, is a far better use of available funds.

In an 18 team league there is only 1 winner and 17 losers: can spending large sums on players really be justified?

5 hours ago, John Mead said:

Who was it who said, "The love of money is the root of all evil"?

The apostle Paul wrote to his diciple Timothy " The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil " and that quotation is now frequenty used in our everyday language.
Criminal activity is often driven by the need for money to live a particular lifestyle.    (  Not intended as a reflection on footballers )
On an entirely different note John Mead, congratulations on your association with Penzance for 60 years, it would be unlikely that anyone can equal that term of office let alone beat it.
It's to be hoped that the C.C.F.A. will recognise your association with football if they have not already done so, well done!.

On 24/01/2023 at 16:24, RAPPO said:

What’s the average player asking for these days Dane? I’ve heard some horror stories mate!! If you were getting £50 back in my day you were a top player!! Bet that’s peanuts now ain’t it mate? Always felt guilty if I played 💩 crap! Used to think I’ve just cost the club 10 spectators coming through the gate to play like that!! 🥺 Lovely to see clubs put money into their facilities these days, clubs like Mullion and Bude getting floodlights etc. I know talented players deserve a few quid but some of the sums are crazy, just need a bit of perspective on it. Like you said though Dane, if you’re not competitive you get left behind don’t you mate!! Unless you’re Wendron! 😀👏🏼👍

Your boy has played for Wadebridge and Newquay recently so not sure why you're asking Dane what players are getting paid 🤔

Step Six clubs have to find £150 for match officials at all home games. Add fuel and pitch marker getting the pitch ready, winter training costs, affiliation fees, player and club insurance, (club house and ground insurance £1,500 a year). Add match balls, kit, water and electricity bills. Then travel for example a 120 mile round trip for away game, Callington to Wendron. 

12 minutes ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Step Six clubs have to find £150 for match officials at all home games. Add fuel and pitch marker getting the pitch ready, winter training costs, affiliation fees, player and club insurance, (club house and ground insurance £1,500 a year). Add match balls, kit, water and electricity bills. Then travel for example a 120 mile round trip for away game, Callington to Wendron. 

Nobody should believe that running a club of any size and structsure is just a case of turing up on matchdays and at the end of the game pack up go home with no further things to do until the next match.
The workers behind the scenes are the real people who the clubs depend on to ensure their financial survival, unless of course there is sugar daddy in the background.
A good background staff is critical if continual financial survival is a club policy.

8 minutes ago, We Two said:

Nobody should believe that running a club of any size and structsure is just a case of turing up on matchdays and at the end of the game pack up go home with no further things to do until the next match.
The workers behind the scenes are the real people who the clubs depend on to ensure their financial survival, unless of course there is sugar daddy in the background.
A good background staff is critical if continual financial survival is a club policy.

Have written on here before about how one yardstick of a club's success (and standing) is how many active committee members and volunteers they have. 

23 hours ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Don’t forget also the expenditure of paying bang average players more than what they’re worth week in week out.

22 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Have written on here before about how one yardstick of a club's success (and standing) is how many active committee members and volunteers they have

Never tire of stating the obvious WOTP, in the hope that it will one day be the norm for a club to acknowledge that they need to build a successful team off the pitch first and foremost.

On 26/01/2023 at 08:28, We Two said:

Please help us avoid the embarrassment of falling off our seats and diviluge what you obviously know to be the St Dennis budget !
Whatever it is, it doesn't appear to be having any affect with their results as yet.

£1800 a game mate just a tad more than Bude but nowhere near as much wadebridge or blazey but we're trying to catch them up in spending crazy 💸💸💸💸💸