Callington Town  P-P        Penzance 

Camelford            1-2       Dobwalls 

Liskeard Athletic    2-1      Newquay 

St Dennis             P-P        Mullion 

Wadebridge Town    2-2    Launceston 

FA VASE, FOURTH ROUND

Brixham          2-0        Raynes Park 

Bodmin 0-6 St Blazey

The first Friday Night Football of 2023 and my first visit to Priory Park this season!

Obviously a much changed Bodmin Town side than the last time I watched them and tonight they came up against a much more experienced and stronger outfit in St Blazey who were always going to win this contest.

However, I thought there were some useful looking players in the Bodmin side, youngish as well, and I would hope the lads stick together, give it a go, don't worry too much about tonight and be patient.

St Blazey were always going to win as much stronger going forward. Andy Watkins got a hat-trick - a penalty, a far post header and a 12 yard shot which was was too strong for Ryan Rickard to keep out. Luke Cloke got two and Rio Ward, on as a sub, hit home the last goal of the evening.   

Doubt if Gunnislake's opponents are travelling from far away. Personally thankful for an early call,1030am from Callington. We've had a few games in last 2 or 3 seasons called off at halftime at Bere Alston,hour before the game at Marjons and St Austell where players are already there. Involves a lot of unnecessary costs.

Charlie Farley Penzance afc secretary

2 hours ago, karaoke said:

Gunnislake is on 4 miles away.

Gunnislakes under pitch heat mat was obviously worth the money then 🤣🤣🤣 nanpean v sne is on today whereas our pitch which is less than 4 miles away is sodden due to the snow n ice we've had, different soil types I'm guessing.

22 minutes ago, silly billy said:

Liskeard 2-1 Newquay. Newquay should of won it but that's the way cookie crumbles. Liskeard dug out very vocal, not doing themselves any favours. 

Newquay have taken 6 points from the 8 games played against the 6 teams above them, none of which was against St Blazey. Top 4 looks a forlorn hope.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - FRIDAY & SATURDAY 20 & 21 January 2023

People on here say Newquay should of won it vs Liskeard maybe they would of if Liskeard hadnt put in Players like Sam Borthwick ,Ryan Richards Reuben Kane ,thies shouldnt of been allowed they should of had to use some of there talented young reserves it seems teams are doing all they can to get into the top 4 you had Blazey signing the brilliant Andy Watkins , Wadebridge signing every Striker who is going you got Bude signing a player from a higher league who is on a hell of a lot of money and also signed Orlando who will just go anywhere for money .

About Time Newquay borrowed players well they have just signed Jay Davie ex G player and hes not going to score loads of goals they want to go for someone like Matt Lloyd a proven goalscorer 

Travelled from Newquay to watch the game Vs Liskeard. Cant believe mints didnt get more from the game. Fink a draw wouldv been fair both GK’s were on top form. But Nqy didn’t create enough chances. Worry that these great players will go if dont go up. I read lot of negative about liskeard on here every week, I have nothing but positive comments for the club after visiting, good team passionate people good hospitality.

My point McQ Why didnt Liskeard play some of there young reserves in instead of getting in outsiders like Borthwick ,Richards and Kane i love Liskeard and the people there ,but teams seem to be getting desperate to get into the top 4 all the teams at the top are going out and signing players or borrowing players to make sure they go up only team that is not doing it is Newquay and the brilliant Wendron who just go on quietly not signing any big players just keeping with there loyal players .Why didnt Liskeard have ex G Goalie Adam Rowbatham in goal vs  Newquay instead of Sam Borthwick Adam was playing for the reserves vs Newquay Academy and still had  a goalie on the bench 

I really admire Wendron its how a club should be run i really would love to see them win the league and also win a cup as well .What a team they are and with the brilliant Ethan Fern in goal they cant go wrong really 

Was at Liskeard v Newquay game today. I really don’t get people saying Newquay should’ve won the game. It was a very even game & could’ve gone either way. Liskeard are a very good footballing side & Newquay  matched them. Regarding bringing players in. The only player ‘brought in’ was Richards. I think you’ll find Kane left Bodmin last week & has signed full time with Liskeard has Borthwick. Due to Gwillans injury keeping him out longer than 1st thought 

it’s all about results & the result went for Liskeard today. Just like last Saturday they should’ve beat Wendron by a few but couldn’t put the ball in the net. 

22 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

My point McQ Why didnt Liskeard play some of there young reserves in instead of getting in outsiders like Borthwick ,Richards and Kane i love Liskeard and the people there ,but teams seem to be getting desperate to get into the top 4 all the teams at the top are going out and signing players or borrowing players to make sure they go up only team that is not doing it is Newquay and the brilliant Wendron who just go on quietly not signing any big players just keeping with there loyal players .Why didnt Liskeard have ex G Goalie Adam Rowbatham in goal vs  Newquay instead of Sam Borthwick Adam was playing for the reserves vs Newquay Academy and still had  a goalie on the bench 

I really admire Wendron its how a club should be run i really would love to see them win the league and also win a cup as well .What a team they are and with the brilliant Ethan Fern in goal they cant go wrong really 

i think you’ll find there’s still a big gulf in quality between the ECPL and SWPL so it’s a big ask asking them to step up and play to the quality of certain players out. like someone’s already stated both kane & borthwick in full time by the looks of it.  

Bude 1-3 St Austell

well done St Austell, great win at a torrid place. Chucking the money about doesn’t always work does it Bude?? That’s £1000 wasted this week on just one player and they couldn’t grab a win, manager must be secretly livid. Embarrassing if I must say at SWP level. *********  tactics don’t always work, and a good footballing side in St Austell won deservedly so.

And if you take too many players from your reserves, likely the best ones to step up two leagues, you leave the Reserves struggling to raise a side themselves, or at best a less competitive one for their own fixture. It’s about balance and you need two big squads with players understanding the bigger picture sometimes. Not easy. Both Liskeard teams won today so I bet their committee and management teams are delighted. 

56 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Lee signed Sam Borthwick full time whilst Luke Gwillam is injured. Adam Robatham has signed to play for the reserves. Lee signed Reuben Kane full time to play for the first team.after he contacted Lee as he was unhappy at Bodmin. 

Only player “brought in” as you put it was Ryan Richards was to replace James Lorenz who is injured. Unable to take too many reserves players as that would be to the detriment of the reserves!! Finn Bartlett carrying a few knocks so doesn’t have 90 in him but still getting his chance at playing step 6 football

Can't imagine torpoint are over the moon with a player that has missed loads of games for  them injured now  turning out for a team in the lower league. 
It is what it is tho no ropes broken etc. If you bring Darren Gilbert in to the setup your actually getting his phone contacts. Worth more then any player 😂 

17 minutes ago, Toroloco13 said:

Lee signed Sam Borthwick full time whilst Luke Gwillam is injured. Adam Robatham has signed to play for the reserves. Lee signed Reuben Kane full time to play for the first team.after he contacted Lee as he was unhappy at Bodmin. 

Only player “brought in” as you put it was Ryan Richards was to replace James Lorenz who is injured. Unable to take too many reserves players as that would be to the detriment of the reserves!! Finn Bartlett carrying a few knocks so doesn’t have 90 in him but still getting his chance at playing step 6 football

Is Lee back involved with the 1st team? I thought he was only doing the women?

1 hour ago, Football Follower 456 said:

Bude 1-3 St Austell

well done St Austell, great win at a torrid place. Chucking the money about doesn’t always work does it Bude?? That’s £1000 wasted this week on just one player and they couldn’t grab a win, manager must be secretly livid. Embarrassing if I must say at SWP level. Shithouse tactics don’t always work, and a good footballing side in St Austell won deservedly so.

anyone heard from bude🤷🏻‍♂️🐷 must be trying to figure out how he cost £450 when tornado plays for free🎣💰😂

For what's it worth, I think Liskeard just about deserved to win this afternoon.

What a start they had, two up in 13 minutes through Harry Jeffery and Dan Jennings and looking as if they were going to steamroll over their opponents! DJ looked as if he was applying a shoot on sight tactic! However Newquay got back into the game and went in at the break having pulled one back through Jack Rapsey. A good turn and powerfully struck shot giving Sam Borthwick in goal no chance.

Sam has signed, along with Ruben Kane, as presumably 'permanent' players while today Ryan Richards played again as Torpoint had no game. We could argue the case as to whether Ryan should be used or not, but lets be honest, for years and years clubs have disregarded their reserves side and although Liskeard have used some of theirs this season, if you've got the chance of playing a striker of the calibre of Ryan, it's a no brainer. Winning is what its all about at the end of the day, and especially this season to get into the top four to guarantee a place in next season's Step 5 Western Peninsula.

And looking at it from Ryan's position, I would imagine he would be keen to get in game time following his injury earlier in the season. He looked as if he's pretty much fully recovered I'm glad to say and I'm sure Dean at Torpoint will be glad his striker has got another 90 minutes under his belt.

The second half had chances at both ends, but both keepers - Sam and Harry Ashton - put in good blocking saves. Liskeard rode out the early second half Newquay pressure and then in the end looked likely themselves to score on the break but that final ball didn't quite go their way.

In the end apart from Jarrad Woods going off quite early with an injury, I would imagine Liskeard will be happy with the day's results considering Wadebridge dropped two point and Bude lost.

The top of the table now looks like this:-

P W D L F A GD PTS
1 Wendron United 21 17 2 2 69 22 47 53
2 Wadebridge Town 23 16 2 5 65 23 42 50
3 St Blazey 17 15 0 2 56 13 43 45
4 Bude Town 22 13 3 6 57 38 19 42
5 Liskeard Athletic 17 10 4 3 52 21 31 34
6 Dobwalls  18 10 2 6 36 30 6 32
7 Newquay 18 9 4 5 35 23 12 31

Also, being purely selfish I'm so glad, as a Liskeard boy born and bred, that my jinx on the Blues this season has been broken - I reckon this was the first time of seeing them win in five attempts!

Excellent tasty pasties too :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Can't imagine torpoint are over the moon with a player that has missed loads of games for  them injured now  turning out for a team in the lower league. 
It is what it is tho no ropes broken etc. If you bring Darren Gilbert in to the setup your actually getting his phone contacts. Worth more then any player 😂 

His phone contacts were probably the downfall of Bodmin. Left to Dane to rebuild now.

13 hours ago, Football Follower 456 said:

Bude 1-3 St Austell

well done St Austell, great win at a torrid place. Chucking the money about doesn’t always work does it Bude?? That’s £1000 wasted this week on just one player and they couldn’t grab a win, manager must be secretly livid. Embarrassing if I must say at SWP level. Shithouse tactics don’t always work, and a good footballing side in St Austell won deservedly so.

Such an odd take. Bude missed a host of chances in the first half and should have been ahead. However, they were out played and out worked in the second half by a talented young St Austell side who I was really impressed with.  So much so that the 20 or so supporters where I was standing clapped the St Austell players off the pitch. 

Such a lazy and easy swipe to slag off  Bude (Torrid place 🤣)  when in reality the game was hard fought on the pitch and in the bar afterwards there was plenty of mutual respect and chat between players from both sides and supporters.   Maybe spend more time bigging up an exciting group of youngsters at your club rather than being desperate to spread negativity about the opposition. 

13 hours ago, Football Follower 456 said:

Bude 1-3 St Austell

Another belter comment from someone who obviously gets a nose bleed north of Bodmin!

For such a “torrid” place, another match able to take place thanks to Bude’s amazing groundsman, when most other matches were called off. 

I bet Phil Hiscox wouldn’t mind a league full of Bude’s pitch. 

2 hours ago, Blues1995 said:

Another belter comment from someone who obviously gets a nose bleed north of Bodmin!

For such a “torrid” place, another match able to take place thanks to Bude’s amazing groundsman, when most other matches were called off. 

I bet Phil Hiscox wouldn’t mind a league full of Bude’s pitch. 

paying £450 a game bud you should be putting away teams on that cabbage patch really💰🤷🏻‍♂️

So Liskeard have signed Sam Borthwick and Reuben Kane permanently i bet they will both  be gone when Luke Gwillian and Max Gilbert returns because they wont be able to replace the quality of those players .

You got to give some praise to Bude they have done brilliant in there 1st season and the money they have spent on players has got to be just rumours Tornado doesnt get a penny for playing his manager said that on the Pod Cast 

Clubs should just follow Wendrons example to how a club should be ran St Austell are relying on youth now and its beginning to work and now they have signed the brilliant Matty Walker from the now disbanded Godolphin Atlantic who i miss very much but they will be back 1 day I maybe not be around to see it but i will be looking down on them kicking every ball .

Looks like Launceston manager Neil Price is building a good team there getting a draw at Wadebridge i had it down for a 6-0 win to the Bridger but im crap at predictions , Will see how good Launceston are on Saturday vs Newquay at Mt Wise when Newquay will unveil they new star signing Jay Davie yes you heard it right ok most of you have never heard of him well he played for the G and hes not a bad player but they still need a proven goalscorer young Jack Rapsey is finding his feet now and is started scoring for Newquay but i would like to see Matt Lloyd in  a Newquay shirt ,well they have got about 20 strikers at the bridgers ok i exagerated a bit but they seem to sign a striker every week .

Have a good week everyone see you at Mt Wise next week and if anyone else says to me Smokie should have a coat on i will bloody scream the bugger wont wear a coat i try every week without any luck .

Ok thats all folks 

1 hour ago, Blues1995 said:

The delusion is real… put down the sun newspaper and have a break from Facebook as your two main sources of educating yourself pal

i dunno what’s worse out the three mate, £450 a game, the lie of tornado playing for free or the state of the toilets jeeez😮

Why people keep going on about figures bude players are being payed with out actually seeing them been given a sun each week. Who actually cares. Other clubs have paid stupid money over the years to get someone in and it will continue to happen if it’s there to pay. Can’t blame a player for saying yes and in all fairness the progress bude has made on the pitch the last 4/5 years is there to be seen. Money or not. How can people sit behind a screen and knock a club for wanting to be better I don’t get that. Life’s too short. Enjoy it and do as much as you can good luck to bude don’t see the issue myself it’s all rumours not hard facts or proof of 450£ going in his hand each game. 

I’m a life long Liskeard fan. What I’ll say is Lee isn’t helping himself as he’s been telling people recently that he’s gonna come back in as the manager. But I will agree with Jan that he is a club man & does try his best for the club. My own opinion is him & Jan have the clubs best interests at heart. But I can’t see him having any input in the team especially as Gilbys now involved 

@100%cornishWendron have been building their club for over 20 years. It's only in the last few years that the first team have got to the level they're at. They are also in a position where they can field all their teams at one base (albeit some pitches are a bit of a walk away) therefore all teams feel part of the club I would imagine.

That model doesn't work for everyone. 

Ah remember the good old days when the forum was a place for fixtures/results, match reports or finding managers/players for clubs! Instead of my dads bigger than your dad and people being bitter about a ‘smaller’ team doing well in the higher leagues and running people down!! 
what a time to be alive!! 

On 22/01/2023 at 00:21, Martin McHugh said:

Money has ruined it.

It doesn't matter what people say, certain players might get cash, incentives,  holidays, boots,  travel expenses,, it goes on and on.   We are all greedy ******** at the end of the day but are you going to benefit from short term gains,,,,

You all know my thoughts!!!

MQx

The worse thing about players getting money is some actually think they r better than what they actually r n try to hold clubs to ransom.