Cornwall Football Forum

Applicants for St Piran 2023-24

With the deadline now passed for applications for promotion to the League for 2023-24 season to be received I can confirm that the following clubs have applied for promotion to the St Piran League at the conclusion of the 2022-23 season.

ECPL

Liskeard Reserves

North Petherwin

St Columb Major

Combination League

Pendeen Rovers

St Ives Town

St Just

For any club that is unsuccessful in their bid for promotion to St Piran by League position, their promotion application will be considered to be an application to fill a vacancy should any exist once normal promotion and relegation matters have been settled.

Edited by Steve Carpenter

31 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

What are the requirements Steve? Imagine there's a little bit of work to do for some if there is. 

They run to about 6 pages in the current version of the document but we're waiting on the latest version from the FA.  It sounds a lot and clubs may find some aspects challenging plus, as we all know, even the comparatively small jobs can be expensive to complete.  We'll be carrying out grading visits soon so that clubs can get everything in place.

20 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:
ECPL

Liskeard Reserves

North Petherwin

St Columb Major

Would be great to have Liskeard back in the League, they'll continue to go from strength to strength this season. Hopefully North Petherwin and St Columb can meet the grading, the East needs more teams!

You'd hope over the coming seasons that Wadebridge, Newquay, St Blazey, St Dennis all form squads that can compete in a Step7 League. Foxhole would be a good addition as well, a shame they haven't applied this year with how competitive they are in the ECPL.

On 17/01/2023 at 13:21, Steve Carpenter said:
With the deadline now passed for applications for promotion to the League for 2023-24 season to be received I can confirm that the following clubs have applied for promotion to the St Piran League at the conclusion of the 2022-23 season.

ECPL

Liskeard Reserves

North Petherwin

St Columb Major

Combination League

Pendeen Rovers

St Ives Town

St Just

For any club that is unsuccessful in their bid for promotion to St Piran by League position, their promotion application will be considered to be an application to fill a vacancy should any exist once normal promotion and relegation matters have been settled.

Have St. Ives sorted out their pitch yet? Last season it was by far the worst in the St Piran West, dangerously bad even.

On 17/01/2023 at 15:30, Byron10 said:

Liskeards pitch is the only one from the ECPL that should even be considered. Jesus Christ 

To be fair big boy seen you at major this year how you play the level you do is considered the same 

Seems a team is considered not good enough on everything else other then on the pitch which is odd 

foxhole won’t need to apply as they’ll win the league  or at minimum finish second in the ecpl they also are a cracking bunch of boys and have a decent set up 

Byron 10 is upset because he plays for a third team so most games in winter get called off cause they use one pitch meaning they have mostly home games towards the end of the season and 1st and second team players to use no wonder they did well last year 🙈

Liskeards pitch is the only one from the ECPL that should even be considered. Jesus Christ 

Why does it matter to you?

The way you are free falling through the Torpoint teams you'll be lucky to drag your little tikes tractor 🚜 around the cemetery pitch.... if you're lucky. 

15 hours ago, Hawks91 said:

foxhole won’t need to apply as they’ll win the league  or at minimum finish second in the ecpl they also are a cracking bunch of boys and have a decent set up 

Byron 10 is upset because he plays for a third team so most games in winter get called off cause they use one pitch meaning they have mostly home games towards the end of the season and 1st and second team players to use no wonder they did well last year 🙈

Foxhole would've needed to apply to go up just like everyone else, but they have chosen not to as they want to stay in the ECPL.

Across the whole league in December and January so far only 15 fixtures have taken place so we've all had home games postponed. We have played at home more recently than you too. Dunno why I'm biting at that one.

Have you actually looked at last year? Or just guessing? In a 31 game season we had 5 senior players on 6 appearances total. Not much to moan at. We had far more appearances from 3rd team players playing up and no one moans when we turn up to games without them. Same will happen again this weekend too. It's how a good club with 2+ teams would run.

Torpoint Athletic 3rd Team | Combellack Vehicle Recyclers East Cornwall Premier League (thefa.com)

10 hours ago, St George said:

Getting a bit tasty on here! Glad to see the previous comment from Byron10 was taken down but I’’m def making my way down to St Columb for the fireworks that the cup semi vs Torpoint looks likely to produce….

Removed it myself because I refuse to bite at a team who have pop up tents for dugs outs so that’ll do from me on the topic. All the best with your application 👍 

On 17/01/2023 at 16:07, Steve Carpenter said:

They run to about 6 pages in the current version of the document but we're waiting on the latest version from the FA.  It sounds a lot and clubs may find some aspects challenging plus, as we all know, even the comparatively small jobs can be expensive to complete.  We'll be carrying out grading visits soon so that clubs can get everything in place.

When will clubs find out what's required Steve and how long to put it in place? 

• 4 weeks later...

Personally think if you win the league you should go up that’s the whole idea of have a system. Foxhole will win that league and comfortable hold their own in the next league up. Plus they have the perfect set up and people who run the club. 
knocking st columb is crazy they have come from the bottom and built back up to east Cornwall through hard work. They have a manager that is born and bred st columb breathes the village. Sometimes you go to respect what a club has achieved. 
torpoint will always be a good well run club along with wendron they show everyone in Cornwall how to run 3/4 sides and keep improving. 
interesting semi final coming up. 

I was speaking to someone today that said at Trelawney level when they go to saint piran they only have 40 spaces but there is currently 48 teams and that entry fee is going to be £150 per team surely that is a joke because there are clubs with two or three side in that league fromsaint Piran down it will bankrupt them is there any truth in this or can i tell my contact to stop talking tosh

31 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

I was speaking to someone today that said at Trelawney level when they go to saint piran they only have 40 spaces but there is currently 48 teams and that entry fee is going to be £150 per team surely that is a joke because there are clubs with two or three side in that league fromsaint Piran down it will bankrupt them is there any truth in this or can i tell my contact to stop talking tosh

If teams can only just about afford an entry fee of £150, it’s probably best they don’t try and join a league.

9 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Don't forget each league that is due to dissolve will have league funds available to do with how they see fit. One idea is to give their member clubs enough each for their affiliation fee to the new merger, which I think is a great idea. Among others that will be discussed and decided.

Personally I don't think the merger at Step 7 and below should/will affect the Step 5 house of cards because they're separate topics. Convenient to happen at the same time yes, but one failing shouldn't derail the other IMO.

9 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Foxhole will win that league and comfortable hold their own in the next league up. Plus they have the perfect set up and people who run the club. 

Foxhole haven't applied to go up.

If you add the Referees Appointment Fees - which teams in Trelawny League pay in addition to an annual subscription - £150 could well be a cheaper deal. However, no fees have yet been set for next season.

The top two divisions in both East & West are proposed to have 16 teams and below that, 14 teams. There will be room for all current teams to be included!

When was the last time you visited North Petherwin? pretty disrespectful to all the hard work which goes on at those 'smaller clubs'.

I would question Torpoints allowance in the ECPL after what we had to experience at that Horsin pitch this season

4 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

16 team leagues is the way forward at this level. 14 the minimum I hope. Less than 26 league games and I'd be asking for supplementary cups.

the current 16 teams in the ECPL seems to work well Cal i agree.

i still believe through this we are underestimating how many teams/clubs will fold as a consequence 

i also believe the SWPL needs to find a balance, take the west division this season, reduced to 16 teams, lots of mid week games played at the start of season acted like a normal season now some teams have 5 or 6 games left of their seasons and gaps in fixtures. 

5 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Don't forget each league that is due to dissolve will have league funds available to do with how they see fit. One idea is to give their member clubs enough each for their affiliation fee to the new merger, which I think is a great idea. Among others that will be discussed and decided.

Personally I don't think the merger at Step 7 and below should/will affect the Step 5 house of cards because they're separate topics. Convenient to happen at the same time yes, but one failing shouldn't derail the other IMO.

Foxhole haven't applied to go up.

That was what I’m saying if you win the league you should go up and that they are more than capable holding their own in league above. 

5 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

This is where there seems to be a bit of a stumbling block in the system where a team still has to apply to move up! 

Shouldn’t need to Dave I don’t think. Surely you go into each season to win the league and be competitive in every competition you enter at the end of it if you do win the league you get promoted automatically shouldn’t be promoting 2nd or 3rd based on first not applying to go up. Makes a mockery of the league else. 

5 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

Shouldn’t need to Dave I don’t think. Surely you go into each season to win the league and be competitive in every competition you enter at the end of it if you do win the league you get promoted automatically shouldn’t be promoting 2nd or 3rd based on first not applying to go up. Makes a mockery of the league else. 

I agree. I didn’t make it clear in my post that I too don’t think champions should have to apply otherwise they can’t go up! 

Just now, Dave Deacon said:

I agree. I didn’t make it clear in my post that I too don’t think champions should have to apply otherwise they can’t go up! 

I’m not sure if it’s down to foxhole not wanting to go up or not knowing they had to apply even if they won the league. Below the top league foxhole are much like illogan always right up there and have cracking set ups to push on further 

15 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

14 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

I’m not sure if it’s down to foxhole not wanting to go up or not knowing they had to apply even if they won the league. Below the top league foxhole are much like illogan always right up there and have cracking set ups to push on further 

Having to apply is all to do with the Feeder League status.  Foxhole made it clear at one of the meetings that they didn't want promotion due to the number of local derbies they currently have.  They have applied in the past and I'm sure they would be a great addition should they chose to do so again.  If the procedures change then they would have no choice.

3 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Having to apply is all to do with the Feeder League status.  Foxhole made it clear at one of the meetings that they didn't want promotion due to the number of local derbies they currently have.  They have applied in the past and I'm sure they would be a great addition should they chose to do so again.  If the procedures change then they would have no choice.

I do think it’s wrong that the best team that wins the league gets to choose they stay in the league effectively promoting a weaker side that didn’t win the league. Rules are rules though 

8 hours ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

but Torpoint 3rds main pitch at Horson field is the worst facilities in all of ECPL. Looking at the league rules I'm not sure that pitch complies with the requirements but happy to be corrected.... how have they managed to get the league to agree to this? Although I think Torpoint representatives sit on some of the league committees.
It's impossible for 3 Saturday teams to play at the Mill all of the time. 

We've used Horson twice this season vs North Peth in August and vs St Dennis a few weeks ago. A 3rd is scheduled, so 3/15 home games isn't a main pitch is it Borat?

To imply my league committee role has anything to do with any leniency is just as disrespectful as any other comment about facilities as it's a personal dig at me. Take your head for a ****!

As already stated, The Mill is still the primary facility for our ECPL side with Horson the nominated back-up and agreed with the League. I won't butter it up and say it's the best by any standpoint but ECPL football has been played there since before our time with Edgcumbe. We have been in constant communication with Cornwall Council to find a solution for having the changing facilities updated but as I'm sure most will appreciate, there's always the financial challenge and leasing agreements to think about.

If Horson is "the worst in the League", I'm happy from a Club standpoint that The Mill is the best available (IMO) at the ECPL level.

I won't lean too much into Callum's, vital, involvement in the running of the ECPL as his comments above hit the nail on the head. If only we had more willing volunteers from member clubs.

7 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

We've used Horson twice this season vs North Peth in August and vs St Dennis a few weeks ago. A 3rd is scheduled, so 3/15 home games isn't a main pitch is it Borat?

To imply my league committee role has anything to do with any leniency is just as disrespectful as any other comment about facilities as it's a personal dig at me. Take your head for a ****!

3 hours ago, L.Gibbons said:

As already stated, The Mill is still the primary facility for our ECPL side with Horson the nominated back-up and agreed with the League. I won't butter it up and say it's the best by any standpoint but ECPL football has been played there since before our time with Edgcumbe. We have been in constant communication with Cornwall Council to find a solution for having the changing facilities updated but as I'm sure most will appreciate, there's always the financial challenge and leasing agreements to think about.

If Horson is "the worst in the League", I'm happy from a Club standpoint that The Mill is the best available (IMO) at the ECPL level.

I won't lean too much into Callum's, vital, involvement in the running of the ECPL as his comments above hit the nail on the head. If only we had more willing volunteers from member clubs.

Apologies chaps, no offence intended or to bring your club into it. 

I get frustrated every time I read one of byrons posts (even if I've seen it before). Any reaction unfairly brings other entities in. I've deleted. 

35 minutes ago, BoratSagdiyev said:

Apologies chaps, no offence intended or to bring your club into it. 

I get frustrated every time I read one of byrons posts (even if I've seen it before). Any reaction unfairly brings other entities in. I've deleted. 

Truth hurts, I’m not knocking anyone’s efforts to better pitches/clubs and I apologise if that’s how it has come across but standards are standards at the end of the day are they not and the league above should represent that with pitch qualities etc etc, and may I add IMO theres clubs in the st pirans that are lucky to be in that league due to the above reasons so it’s not a personal dig at 2 clubs either. maybe reveal yourself pal so we all know which club you are associated with instead of being a little baby about my posts. 

1 hour ago, Byron10 said:

IMO theres clubs in the st pirans that are lucky to be in that league due to the above reasons so it’s not a personal dig at 2 clubs either. 

All of the clubs in the St Piran League have grounds and facilities that meet the FA criteria for Feeder Leagues.  The necessary ground grading checks of the promotion candidates have now been completed with only minor works identified.  You are of course entitled to your opinion but it is just that, your opinion.  We have to work to the laid down criteria and I am lead to believe that from next season ground grading will be carried out by the Football Foundation.  We have no detail on how that will work as yet other than the FA will still set the requirements.  Whether it happens next season or not only time will tell.

There are, and I've said this before, no enforceable ground grading criteria below feeder league level.  Leagues can insist on clubs having 'reasonable' facilities such as changing rooms, showers and toilets but that's about it.

For 2023-24 the aspiration is to pay an advisory visit to all of the Division One teams in the east and west, bar those that are known to meet the criteria, during the course of season to identify what work, if any, clubs would need to carry out to secure promotion.  In subsequent seasons those teams promoted to the Division One's will also be visited.  The hope is that this will give clubs much more time to plan and complete any works.

17 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

All of the clubs in the St Piran League have grounds and facilities that meet the FA criteria for Feeder Leagues.  The necessary ground grading checks of the promotion candidates have now been completed with only minor works identified.  You are of course entitled to your opinion but it is just that, your opinion.  We have to work to the laid down criteria and I am lead to believe that from next season ground grading will be carried out by the Football Foundation.  We have no detail on how that will work as yet other than the FA will still set the requirements.  Whether it happens next season or not only time will tell.

There are, and I've said this before, no enforceable ground grading criteria below feeder league level.  Leagues can insist on clubs having 'reasonable' facilities such as changing rooms, showers and toilets but that's about it.

For 2023-24 the aspiration is to pay an advisory visit to all of the Division One teams in the east and west, bar those that are known to meet the criteria, during the course of season to identify what work, if any, clubs would need to carry out to secure promotion.  In subsequent seasons those teams promoted to the Division One's will also be visited.  The hope is that this will give clubs much more time to plan and complete any works.

If the clubs meet the criteria and are accepted then that’s it nothing more to be said, it’s done and congratulations to those that have made the step up. However like you’ve said it’s just my opinion (which seems to upset people that hide behind fake names mostly) 

4 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

In subsequent seasons those teams promoted to the Division One's will also be visited.  The hope is that this will give clubs much more time to plan and complete any works.

And also handy as it will give them time to consider whether it will be viable to proceed with the work.

14 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

he necessary ground grading checks of the promotion candidates have now been completed with only minor works identified.  You are of course entitled to your opinion but it is just that, your opinion.  We have to work to the laid down criteria and

Only minor works? Not to sound disrespectful but North Petherwin have old almost derelict changing rooms definitely too small and no hot cold water or toilets, and st Columb don’t even own their own so surely their ability  to rebuild would be impossible … last time I was there you had to pee in a shower of which there was not the required 4 or use the single public loo, plus nowhere near the size of space needed from what I have seen in the grading sheets…Plus how can that car park be adequate when it’s almost always full with village cars? Major works.. not minor…and 3 months to complete? Tall order if u ask me

41 minutes ago, Finesman10 said:

Only minor works? Not to sound disrespectful but North Petherwin have old almost derelict changing rooms definitely too small and no hot cold water or toilets, and st Columb don’t even own their own so surely their ability  to rebuild would be impossible … last time I was there you had to pee in a shower of which there was not the required 4 or use the single public loo, plus nowhere near the size of space needed from what I have seen in the grading sheets…Plus how can that car park be adequate when it’s almost always full with village cars? Major works.. not minor…and 3 months to complete? Tall order if u ask me

I should have mentioned that St Columb Major withdrew their application a few weeks ago.  They have a plan to get their facilities up to standard in time for an application for 2024-25 season.  The requirement is for 3 shower heads per changing room not 4.

North Petherwin changing rooms exceed the 12 square meter requirement.  They have an extra shower head to put in each set of showers and some signage to do.  Other than that they are pretty much there.  They also have some impressive and well progressed plans to further improve facilities on the site.

1 hour ago, Steve Carpenter said:

I should have mentioned that St Columb Major withdrew their application a few weeks ago.  They have a plan to get their facilities up to standard in time for an application for 2024-25 season.  The requirement is for 3 shower heads per changing room not 4.

North Petherwin changing rooms exceed the 12 square meter requirement.  They have an extra shower head to put in each set of showers and some signage to do.  Other than that they are pretty much there.  They also have some impressive and well progressed plans to further improve facilities on the site.

Thanks Steve, yes we have approval for the attached new clubhouse which is exciting and have made other improvements to the ground, such as new toilets being installed, safety netting behind the goal to protect supporters and vehicles, dugouts have been built and we had to replace the whole roof on the changing rooms due to it being damaged in last years storm.

whilst we are not to the levels of Launceston or a Torpoint we are trying to make make improvements to improve the facilities for the community    

clubhouse.jpg

1 hour ago, Finesman10 said:

yes breaking news water has finally made its way to North Petherwin

18 minutes ago, The Badger said:

Thanks Steve, yes we have approval for the attached new clubhouse which is exciting and have made other improvements to the ground, such as new toilets being installed, safety netting behind the goal to protect supporters and vehicles, dugouts have been built and we had to replace the whole roof on the changing rooms due to it being damaged in last years storm.

whilst we are not to the levels of Launceston or a Torpoint we are trying to make make improvements to improve the facilities for the community    

clubhouse.jpg

Sounds like positive moves Badger looking forward to seeing them on the 4th.

53 minutes ago, The Badger said:

clubhouse.jpg

Well done North Petherwin, good to see fellow village clubs progressing 👏🏻

8 hours ago, Finesman10 said:

As Steve has mentioned before at Redruth United we are on a council pitch and 

Just now, Postman Pat said:

As Steve has mentioned before at Redruth United we are on a council pitch and have fulfilled all requirements for the league.

On 23/02/2023 at 09:56, The Badger said:

clubhouse.jpg

Looks brilliant can’t knock a club showing ambition club has come a long way. 

On 23/02/2023 at 07:58, Finesman10 said:

Penzance AFC dont own their own pitch , its rented off Penzance Town Council , and they play in a higher league 😉

On 23/02/2023 at 09:56, The Badger said:

clubhouse.jpg

Fantastic mate,if Ur struggling for water give me a msg as we drill water boreholes daily and it would save u money in the long run especially as there are grants going around for them at the minute as sww want to ease the strain on the local reservoirs so it may be worth looking into.

On 23/02/2023 at 08:43, Steve Carpenter said:

Out of interest Steve who made that rule up of needing 4 shower heads as opposed to 3? Surely any shower is better than no shower and if people can't wait an extra 5 mins for a shower then they shud push a brush around the changing rooms whilst waiting to break up the wait lol.

3 shower heads in St Piran; 4 in SWPL!

2 hours ago, davegrose said:

Fantastic mate,if Ur struggling for water give me a msg as we drill water boreholes daily and it would save u money in the long run especially as there are grants going around for them at the minute as sww want to ease the strain on the local reservoirs so it may be worth looking into.

Out of interest Steve who made that rule up of needing 4 shower heads as opposed to 3? Surely any shower is better than no shower and if people can't wait an extra 5 mins for a shower then they shud push a brush around the changing rooms whilst waiting to break up the wait lol.