Cornwall Football Forum

Percy stevens cup

Whats peoples thoughts on the new format for the cup,I for one dont like it at all,crazy and bizarre idea.Why wasnt the clubs asked to vote on the idea? Alot more games where some teams are struggling already and as we all know there is alot of games now with no refs available,Also only 1 team going through in the group makes alot of games dead rubbers with some teams having nothing to play for if they have already lost a game or 2 and cant reach top spot so may find teams just giving there opponents the walk over. If it aint broken why fix it? straight KO! format should still be in the percy stevens cup.

6 hours ago, fudge said:

Whats peoples thoughts on the new format for the cup,I for one dont like it at all,crazy and bizarre idea.Why wasnt the clubs asked to vote on the idea? Alot more games where some teams are struggling already and as we all know there is alot of games now with no refs available,Also only 1 team going through in the group makes alot of games dead rubbers with some teams having nothing to play for if they have already lost a game or 2 and cant reach top spot so may find teams just giving there opponents the walk over. If it aint broken why fix it? straight KO! format should still be in the percy stevens cup.

Initially there were complaints over the size of leagues meaning not enough fixtures and season would be over by March. This gives teams at least 4 additional games, a knockout would only have provided 1 game to half of the clubs and only 2 games to a further 1/4. 2 going through to a last 16 phase would add further fixtures, which you already state you are against. For a long time, divisions were 14 teams, meaning 26 League games plus  PSC/Arthur Pearce and Divisonal Cup, so 28 games at least. Your complaint is that you are being asked to play 23 games and that's too much? It has also been argued that the PSC very much just replicated the West Draw of the Junior Cup

The "dead rubber" argument is equally applicable to the League games, as is the lack of referees. As a League, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't

If you have strong opinions and wish to influence the decisions there have been a vacancies on the League Committee for quite some time and I'm sure your declaration of interest would be welcomed

4 hours ago, peggy78 said:

Initially there were complaints over the size of leagues meaning not enough fixtures and season would be over by March. This gives teams at least 4 additional games, a knockout would only have provided 1 game to half of the clubs and only 2 games to a further 1/4. 2 going through to a last 16 phase would add further fixtures, which you already state you are against. For a long time, divisions were 14 teams, meaning 26 League games plus  PSC/Arthur Pearce and Divisonal Cup, so 28 games at least. Your complaint is that you are being asked to play 23 games and that's too much? It has also been argued that the PSC very much just replicated the West Draw of the Junior Cup

The "dead rubber" argument is equally applicable to the League games, as is the lack of referees. As a League, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't

If you have strong opinions and wish to influence the decisions there have been a vacancies on the League Committee for quite some time and I'm sure your declaration of interest would be welcomed

Thanks for your reply,Just feel that the clubs should of been asked to have there say/vote,dead rubbers in leagues are different because always played league football so we know what were buying in to,Im sure alot of people are keen for this and im also sure a few like me are against it,But like you said and i know full well its inpossible to please everyone.ive always loved the junior cup and the buzz it gives so the psc for me As KO format as you say similar to the junior cup was fantastic im which i always looked forward to the draw and hope of progressing to the next round,Unfortunatly seeing this today has made feel the opposite to buzzing.But like we agree you cant keep everyone happy.

I feel it just takes away the magic of a cup competetion as a club in div 4 could beat a club in the prem and lose there remaining games and go out,Just nice for clubs to have a chance of a upset and the excitement of the next round draw.I may be old fashioned before my time thou

Correct me if I’m wrong.Your  team St.Ives Mariners(Div3) are in a group with Helston(Div4) Caharrack (Div2) and Prem league high flyers Troon and Ludgvan.You say it would of been nice to cause a upset against a higher league team and progress-I would say the players should be wanting to test themselves against so called “better” teams as many times as possible.Therefore you have not just one chance but 3 of doing this.If you were to beat one of the Prem teams it would give Mariners a big chance of going through.If not you still have. Second fixture in which to achieve this.

Like you say Fudge no format would please all but I everyone I have spoke to are grateful for the extra fixtures and more than 1 opportunity to play different league teams.Bearing in mind. Most league fixtures are due to finish by the end of March-some teams even before that-at least this will keep the players active in to April.

Next year with the restructuring and possibly bigger leagues with 14-16 teams it will be looked at again I’m surez

Best of luck mate

15 hours ago, Mr Justice said:

I think if some clubs make it to the end of the season fulfilling all league fixtures let alone a multi group cup competition we will be lucky. 

Yeah my thoughts exactly and i also feel for dave james having to fixture another 130 odd matches 

4 minutes ago, StarsAndStripes said:

Correct me if I’m wrong.Your  team St.Ives Mariners(Div3) are in a group with Helston(Div4) Caharrack (Div2) and Prem league high flyers Troon and Ludgvan.You say it would of been nice to cause a upset against a higher league team and progress-I would say the players should be wanting to test themselves against so called “better” teams as many times as possible.Therefore you have not just one chance but 3 of doing this.If you were to beat one of the Prem teams it would give Mariners a big chance of going through.If not you still have. Second fixture in which to achieve this.

Like you say Fudge no format would please all but I everyone I have spoke to are grateful for the extra fixtures and more than 1 opportunity to play different league teams.Bearing in mind. Most league fixtures are due to finish by the end of March-some teams even before that-at least this will keep the players active in to April.

Next year with the restructuring and possibly bigger leagues with 14-16 teams it will be looked at again I’m surez

Best of luck mate

Thanks mate.yes my club is st ives mariners,I just simply like KO football and the buzz it gives as ive said ive also loved the junior cup as a player and now player/manager and the same format as the PSC CUP.