Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - BOXING DAY 26 December 2022

Ashton & Backwell Utd    4-0    Keynsham Town
Bridgwater United            2-2    Clevedon Town
Buckland Athletic            3-2    Wellington
Ilfracombe Town            0-3    Barnstaple Town
Millbrook                    0-0    Torpoint Athletic (att 233)
Mousehole                    3-0    Helston Athletic (att 274)
Saltash United                1-3    Falmouth Town (att 262)
Shepton Mallet                3-1    Welton Rovers
Street                            1-1    Sherborne Town

Saltash really didn’t turn up today. Falmouth the better team and deserved the win. 
This result been coming for sometime for saltash I feel, some very tight wins and not been playing well for some time (in my opinion). 
The news the club not wanting to take promotion possibly having an influence on the players and performances and seem to give up today after going 2-1 down.
Also coaching wise Saltash seem to have no plan B or C, screaming out for someone with coaching experience/qualification to step into the coaching team to influence changes in game. 

Saltash United 1. Falmouth Town 3.

Great result again for Town. Barnstaple last game and now Saltash. Unbeaten in the league since September and now up to 9th.

Having lost JBE and Charlie Davis it was looking worrying. Unaware of the long-term impact but short-term, all seems ok. Good luck to JBE but having Luke Brabyn back playing down the middle seems to have benefited the team. His pace and work-rate providing a different challenge for the opposing defenders.

First half finished at one-nil with Brabyn missing from the spot after a break in to the box from Luke Barner resulted in Duffy bringing him down for the penalty. Soon after, Saltash went one-up with a typically clinical finish from Adam Carter.

Second half and Town continued to slightly outplay their higher ranked opponents but without really threatening. The game seemed to turn with swapping Olly Walker and Tim Nixon around along with the introduction of Marcello Jones, back from his college football in the US for Christmas. His overall quality seemed to galvanize Town and Tim Nixon equalised at the far post from a run down the left from Ollie Walker.

2nd goal with a good move leading to Marcello drawing the keeper, trying to play in Brabyn but instead deflecting the ball off the keeper and in to the goal.

Great third goal after deep cross from Brabyn down the right found Ollie Walker who headed across Duffy to score.

In the end it was a well-deserved win which belied Towns 10th position in the league.

Bridgewater Town next on Monday to possibly open up the league further.

UP THE TOWN!!!

1 hour ago, quiksilver said:

Saltash really didn’t turn up today. Falmouth the better team and deserved the win. 
This result been coming for sometime for saltash I feel, some very tight wins and not been playing well for some time (in my opinion). 
The news the club not wanting to take promotion possibly having an influence on the players and performances and seem to give up today after going 2-1 down.
Also coaching wise Saltash seem to have no plan B or C, screaming out for someone with coaching experience/qualification to step into the coaching team to influence changes in game. 

As I said from the start to be fair, Good players don’t always make good managers. Had the feeling there would be an upset there today and the decision to not get promoted means player will be leaving shortly I’m sure. 

The third goal definitely should go down for Marcello Jones, was a deflection for sure but pretty certain the shot was on target.

I was down in Saltash for the Christmas period so popped across for the match, and was really surprised by how poor Saltash were, given their position and form. Falmouth outplayed them pretty much throughout, and even though Saltash had a lot of the ball they didn't really do a huge amount with it. They scored once, hit the post, and Ryan Barnes made a good save from a Callum O'Brien header, but that was about it in terms of goal threat.

Not only did Falmouth score three but they also had a penalty saved. The key difference between the teams was the pace and incisive passing of Walker, Brabyn and Nixon (and then Jones when he came on). Jones and Nixon in particular seemed to have the full backs pretty nervous every time they ran at them.

On a different note, every time I see Saltash, they always look a lot worse if/when Henry Wilson goes off.

Pictures from the match are here: Saltash United 1 - 3 Falmouth Town

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - BOXING DAY 26 December 2022
19 minutes ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

Great result today,must admit I wasn't expecting it.Unbeaten in 7 league games must mean we're doing something right !

On another note,anyone know why we were wearing Saltash shirts ?

By the way GRTourist,really loved the photos.

' Up The Town '

Your team took the field in your white away shirts, then (it looked as though) the referee requested a kit change because it was quite hard to distinguish from the Saltash shirts which have white backs. There was a two minute delay before kick off while a Saltash kit man ran out with their blue kit and your players changed on the pitch!

A great performance from Falmouth today. 
To clear up the 2nd goal. I personally never like to see a goal given as an own goal. I would rather credit the player who made it happen. To me it looked like Marcello unselfishly rolled it across the area and defender stuck his leg out. Marcello deserved to be credited with the goal. 
I don’t want to speak to soon but since  JBE has gone there seems to be a lot more flexibility in our forward line. We just look so dangerous with the ball. 
Another cracking game to look forward to next week. 
Truly loving this season 💛🖤

13 hours ago, GRTourist said:

The third goal definitely should go down for Marcello Jones, was a deflection for sure but pretty certain the shot was on target.

I was down in Saltash for the Christmas period so popped across for the match, and was really surprised by how poor Saltash were, given their position and form. Falmouth outplayed them pretty much throughout, and even though Saltash had a lot of the ball they didn't really do a huge amount with it. They scored once, hit the post, and Ryan Barnes made a good save from a Callum O'Brien header, but that was about it in terms of goal threat.

Not only did Falmouth score three but they also had a penalty saved. The key difference between the teams was the pace and incisive passing of Walker, Brabyn and Nixon (and then Jones when he came on). Jones and Nixon in particular seemed to have the full backs pretty nervous every time they ran at them.

On a different note, every time I see Saltash, they always look a lot worse if/when Henry Wilson goes off.

Pictures from the match are here: Saltash United 1 - 3 Falmouth Town

Good call on Henry Wilson. He is that sort of player who doesn't get noticed when he plays, but is missed when he doesn't . Sits in midfield, wins the ball and gives it simply but effectively (bit like Christian Pople, thought that he would have made a great replacement for him at Parkway a few years back).

Millbrook 0-0 Torpoint Athletic

Toolstation Western League, Premier Division 

Att: 233

It was a goalless stalemate at Jenkins Park for the Boxing Day Derby in the first ever Western League fixture between the local rivals which was fought on a heavy pitch in front of a good crowd of 233, with the home side ending up with ten men and the visitors failing to take their chances.

The first 20 minutes of the match was even with both sides having half chances in the final third. Taylor Love-Holmes for the hosts and Ryan Richards for the visitors both breaking past the midfields but failing to edge past the defence for either side.

On the 25th minute a cross into the area by the visitors through Paul Heveran found Curtis Damerell to head wide at the far post from 10 yards.

With five minutes remaining of the first half, Jake Foster for the home side shot just over the cross bar from the edge of the area after some good build play by the home sides midfield.

To make matters worse for the pitch, there was a heavy shower at the half time break to make the pitch even more heavy for the both teams to navigate in the second half.

On the hour mark Sean Thomson for the home side shot just over the bar when he was set up by some lovely passing moves by the hosts midfield.

Five minutes later Thomson was shown a straight red card for an incident in the area with a visiting defender when the home side was setting up for a free kick.

On the 75th minute Jake Foster had a shot on goal for the hosts when Sam Hillson, in some last minute defending cleared the ball of goal line.

With time slowly ticking down, Jack Alexander on the 85th minute for The Point ran down the left wing cut in towards the area beating two home defenders to see his effort go just wide.

Four minutes into stoppage time Ryan Richards crossed a pinpoint ball onto Curtis Damerell in the area to shoot home from ten yards,but the linesman flagged for offside on a very close call.

Mentioned before about Danny Lewis at Saltash needing a strong assistant beside him. You can’t carry on playing as  a manager  and expect to make tactical changes and crucial decisions from the pitch . Needs to concentrate on one or the other 

you do worry about a run of bad results coming for Saltash. 

56 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Mentioned before about Danny Lewis at Saltash needing a strong assistant beside him. You can’t carry on playing as  a manager  and expect to make tactical changes and crucial decisions from the pitch . Needs to concentrate on one or the other 

you do worry about a run of bad results coming for Saltash. 

The team sheet showed Danny Lewis as a sub yesterday. They have a strong experience squad which shouldn’t need much man management. Every team has a wobble, and it usually occurs around Christmas. They’ll be fine.

22 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

The team sheet showed Danny Lewis as a sub yesterday. They have a strong experience squad which shouldn’t need much man management. Every team has a wobble, and it usually occurs around Christmas. They’ll be fine.

Why does he need to be a sub or even play  ?  Just concentrate on management. He hasn’t got Shane there now to make decisions 

Danny didn’t play nor was named as sub yesterday. 

The Twitter gif was done in advance and team changed before sheet was exchanged! 

Fair play to Falmouth- came and did the job. Just a pain I’m up to my neck in two kits washing! Three if you add in the reserves from the friendly this morning. 

Good to see and chat to George McCaffery from the league in attendance. 

Funny reading the Falmouth comments about JBE. JBE makes every side stronger that’s a fact. Falmouth not better without him. He could’ve gone even higher but went to mousehole for the professionalism and the sport science equipment. Falmouth should be respectful he was only there one season and was the best player by a mile. 

46 minutes ago, Cornishfootyfanatic said:

Funny reading the Falmouth comments about JBE. JBE makes every side stronger that’s a fact. Falmouth not better without him. He could’ve gone even higher but went to mousehole for the professionalism and the sport science equipment. Falmouth should be respectful he was only there one season and was the best player by a mile. 

JBE was excellent last season for Falmouth but this season, even after a lot of games back from injury he just didn’t seem to get going! Higher opposition maybe? Who knows! 
Can’t wait for Falmouth v Bridgewater game next!  
💛🖤

2 hours ago, Cornishfootyfanatic said:

Not sure how many Falmouth games you watched but having seen almost every one I would not agree. Great player at SWPL level yes. Best player?  No. Others were generally more influential. Albeit not as high profile.

Good luck to him at Mousehole though. Great attitude and worked his socks off every game for Town. His commitment could never be questioned from the fan's  perspective.

17 hours ago, Cornishfootyfanatic said:

🤣🤣 nowhere near the best player ! Seemed to be struggling at western league level , that’s having watched every Falmouth game he played in ! 😳

Didn’t take long to turn on him did it? I’m sure if anybody could be bothered to trawl back through all the F-Troop posts and there are plenty, then you would be led to believe that JBE could walk on water too. And they say there is no player loyalty??? We wait with baited breath to read that Charlie Davis wasn’t all that either 🤣🤣🤣