Cornwall Football Forum

As posted on Facebook by Tom Blewett on behalf of Penryn Athletic

CAN YOU HELP? 

“Penryn athletic urgently seek players for the rest of this season to play in the St pirans league for the first team. We have amazing facilities including bar, quality changing rooms an amazing pitch worked on by a brilliant groundsman.  The club also has gained a new young club commiteee with new ideas and working plans for the future. After a manager departure along with several players also leaving, the side faces withdrawal from the league if we cannot pull together and help save Penryn Athletic. Alongside players, if you are a local manager who wants to take over the side for the rest of the season and work on a project to maintain the side going into the future, share this status and spread the word and I always welcome messages from new  managers or players who want to sign for the club or just simply want to get their boots on for a few games. Also please feel free to contact anyone from the committee including Kevin Quintrell, prynner or Matt young 

Tom”

I think the situation will worsen until things change. As many have said before, players signing for one club and one club only would be good approach to take. At least managers will have a good grasp of who they actually have available. At present, there are so many players signed for a club in each league, you don’t know where they’re going to turn up. It doesn’t benefit anyone. Add to that a ruling that it takes say 6 weeks to transfer to another club, I believe it would stop all of this movement. A similar rule worked well for the cricket league years ago. A lot of players these days believe they have ability on a par with Kylian Mbappe. The slightest hint of them being dropped or rotating the squad results in them looking to move to another club or playing in the lowest leagues. Perhaps if they knew they had to wait 6 weeks,  they might stay and fight for a place. 
Proof is in the pudding. All of the lads who were playing for Penryn are still playing football, just not at Penryn when they are in their hour of need. 
I wish Penryn all the best and hope they can rectify their problems.  Always a place I’ve enjoyed going to and some great people involved over the years. 

4 hours ago, Reesy said:

I think the situation will worsen until things change. As many have said before, players signing for one club and one club only would be good approach to take. At least managers will have a good grasp of who they actually have available. At present, there are so many players signed for a club in each league, you don’t know where they’re going to turn up. It doesn’t benefit anyone. Add to that a ruling that it takes say 6 weeks to transfer to another club, I believe it would stop all of this movement. A similar rule worked well for the cricket league years ago. A lot of players these days believe they have ability on a par with Kylian Mbappe. The slightest hint of them being dropped or rotating the squad results in them looking to move to another club or playing in the lowest leagues. Perhaps if they knew they had to wait 6 weeks,  they might stay and fight for a place. 
Proof is in the pudding. All of the lads who were playing for Penryn are still playing football, just not at Penryn when they are in their hour of need. 
I wish Penryn all the best and hope they can rectify their problems.  Always a place I’ve enjoyed going to and some great people involved over the years. 

I can see the logic in that, but conversely I can see even more clubs folding with a one player one club rule; with the level of commitment of players these days, clubs will need squads of 20 players in order to get 11/12 out each week. Games off for teams unable to raise a side will be commonplace where there is no reserve side to draw on 

2 hours ago, MattP said:

I can see the logic in that, but conversely I can see even more clubs folding with a one player one club rule; with the level of commitment of players these days, clubs will need squads of 20 players in order to get 11/12 out each week. Games off for teams unable to raise a side will be commonplace where there is no reserve side to draw on 

I agree. I think some clubs will struggle initially. But I think something like this is needed to break the cycle of what’s going on right now. Managers will have to start to use the players who show some loyalty and commitment, over the ones who will just mess clubs around at the drop of a hat. I can think of a few players who have already had 3 clubs in the St Pirans League just this season and we’re not even at Christmas yet. That can’t be right. 

11 hours ago, MattP said:

Saying this, we was due to play Penryn saturday just gone, and their reserve team still managing to get out a decent side, does St Piran not take priority over Trelawney 4? Most of them more than capable in stepping up...

39 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Quick glance at Full Time shows the Penryn St Piran's side have 68 players registered, with 38 having made an appearance this season.  Makes me wonder how many players that sign for various clubs in the numerous leagues are actually active and available.

Majority at Falmouth DC by the looks of things, stepping down 4 divisions just for a bit of glory..

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Quick glance at Full Time shows the Penryn St Piran's side have 68 players registered, with 38 having made an appearance this season.  Makes me wonder how many players that sign for various clubs in the numerous leagues are actually active and available.

One of the problems I'm told about the players being shown as registered is that once on there, you cannot delete them if they've decided not to play anymore! 

13 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

One of the problems I'm told about the players being shown as registered is that once on there, you cannot delete them if they've decided not to play anymore! 

If you de-register them/remove them from your club on WGS then they should no longer appear on full time 

Really hope Penryn Ath get someone in to finish off this season and hopefully turn their fortunes around at end of the season. Spend a lot of years at Penryn and they are far too big a club to fall by the way side. Hope they manage to pull a side together in time for Dec 17th, hopefully someone will step in if only short term to give them the time they need to put something more permanent in place. Nice to see the fresh faces on the committee, all are top people and have the club at heart 👍

2 hours ago, Lifeintheolddog said:

Really hope Penryn Ath get someone in to finish off this season and hopefully turn their fortunes around at end of the season. Spend a lot of years at Penryn and they are far too big a club to fall by the way side. Hope they manage to pull a side together in time for Dec 17th, hopefully someone will step in if only short term to give them the time they need to put something more permanent in place. Nice to see the fresh faces on the committee, all are top people and have the club at heart 👍

Totally agree really hope these new faces can pull it out the bag, and repair the damage of the YEARS that have gone on before . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2022 at 10:18, Keith B said:

A very profound post Asterix. What do you base this assertion on ?

Sorry I hadn’t been on here to reply. 
It’s not a dig at Cornish football, it’s a conclusion I feel could rapidly be the outcome. 

The likes of clubs with development structures will survive, but there’s more and more fixtures being cancelled or conceded, teams not willing to travel, or players not committed. 

Two conceded fixtures in succession a month or so ago. 

The desire to play and the hunger to play isn’t the same as it was in 1990s, 2000s 

The standard also isn’t the same there’s a big gap. It’s only an opinion of mine, the decline is real 

Really sad to see Penryn in this situation a fine club with real pedigree over the years, fantastic playing surface people should want to play there. Lets hope they can see the season out, not worry about results just look at getting through the season and regroup in the summer. Good luck to all involved.