Cornwall Football Forum

Any thoughts on the restructuring taking place?

• Dave Deacon changed the title to Any thoughts on the restructuring taking place?

As Dave said on the pod, there may not be noticeable changes from the outside but I think streamlined committee has to be the way forward coupled with removing players registering for multiple Clubs across multiple leagues.

I do agree with Dave that it would help if the League's were ran by the Cornish FA. Would be good to hear from some Clubs that voted against the change. We can all be blinkered in our own views at times.

Personally, I think they need to learn the lessons from what has happened in Cornish Cricket where a similar restructure has essentially created super clubs mainly in towns with up to 5 teams at the expense of one team village sides in the area who have disbanded which has a devastating effect locally.  I want to know how that will be addressed. 

I know some clubs won't like what I'm going to say here but I think there potentially needs to be a limit on how many teams one club can enter into the new proposed league.

Seems a great idea in principle. In practice, I think it might put far greater pressure on the new league’s fixture secretary/s, so can definitely understand the suggestions that this needs to administered by County. Expecting a volunteer, however had-working and dedicated as they no doubt are, to administer the fixtures once players potentially “locked in” to only one team is a massive responsibility.

Limiting dual registration will be a progressive move, IF clubs have regular Saturday fixtures. As an example, Falmouth Town Reserves in the period 6/8/22 - 22/10/22 had 4 Saturday fixtures out of a possible 12 Saturdays.

In a landscape of dwindling participation, a team for whatever reasons, only playing a Saturday fixture 1 week in 3, can’t possibly be helping. So, I do think clubs should be careful of the unintended consequences of this move.

Also, these changes do seem to put multi-team clubs such as Wendron and Torpoint at significant competitive advantage too, IMO. I can understand if some would argue deservedly so…

The current levels in the St Piran League's are so poor.

Step 6 - 18 teams

Step 7 Prems - 16 teams

Div 1's - 16 teams

Div 2's - 14 teams

Step 7 HAS to have 16 sides, possibly even 18 but that may be too much of a stretch depending on facilities. I would worry about where the new Step 6 sides are coming from though.

3 hours ago, L.Gibbons said:

Step 6 - 18 teams

Step 7 Prems - 16 teams

Div 1's - 16 teams

Div 2's - 14 teams

Step 7 HAS to have 16 sides, possibly even 18 but that may be too much of a stretch depending on facilities. I would worry about where the new Step 6 sides are coming from though.

Step 7 (St Piran) can only be more than 16 if most have floodlights.

6 hours ago, L.Gibbons said:

Step 6 - 18 teams

Step 7 Prems - 16 teams

Div 1's - 16 teams

Div 2's - 14 teams

3 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Step 7 (St Piran) can only be more than 16 if most have floodlights.

Specifically for St Piran the minimum for a NLS Feeder League is 14 per division at the commencement of the season.  The ideal is 16's but, as @bighairydaverightly states it can increase to 18's if 'the great majority have lights'.  There are no plans/suggestions to have more than 16 per division.