Sticker 0-6 Torpoint Athletic

West Division

Hayle 4-3 Mousehole Development

Helston Athletic P-P Illogan RBL

Penryn Athletic P-P Porthleven

Perranwell P-P St. Agnes

St. Day P-P Redruth United

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

As at 11.00 am Friday morning Penryn v Porthleven still showing as on, but there could be a problem with the home side unable to raise sufficient numbers and so anyone intending to watch this game might want to check before you travel. 

This game has been postponed for the reason stated above.

17 minutes ago, Bantona said:

What’s going on at Penryn? Another excellent club, shame to hear they cannot get a side for SPL. 

Likewise, what’s going on at Saltash? Another excellent club, shame to hear they cannot get a side for SPL.

What is going on for so many clubs to be struggling for players?

Just now, Dave Deacon said:

Likewise, what’s going on at Saltash? Another excellent club, shame to hear they cannot get a side for SPL.

What is going on for so many clubs to be struggling for players?

It seems a pattern. Clubs like Port, Perranporth, Penryn and Ludgvan have all struggled in recent times. Good facilities. Good people behind the scenes. Player numbers continue to drop is my only guess? Shame to see. Hayle 2s in the combo is another one I mentioned the other day. I’d love to be playing still! I picked up the Cornishman newspaper today for the first time in years- 15 - 20 years ago, local football featured heavily. Couldn’t see anything today (I may have missed something as it was a quick scan). Without sounding extremely old, it’s such a shame seeing the demise of local football. Hopefully these clubs can pull through.   

12 hours ago, Bantona said:

What’s going on at Penryn? Another excellent club, shame to hear they cannot get a side for SPL. 

But coincidentally they’re reserves do really well when the 1st team don’t play? Some strange erratic results but with the crazy dual signing rules it happens in lots of Clubs, Dropship reserves makes intriguing reading as well.

Un fortunately the Cornishman I believe also the Cornish Guardian have stopped doing footy and that fantastic paper the Sunday Independent stopped I believe in January. It seems like the owners ran the paper into the ground by offering peanuts to reporters, not just football and basically had one person doing huge great stories about the top sports clubs and ignoring their bread and butter readers.   We know that social media has been a major problem but to ignore your regular readers was a huge mistake.  To think they were the only local paper who could do up to date stories for anything that happened on the Friday and Saturday for the non sporty people but chose not to.  

45 minutes ago, THEMAGPIE said:

But coincidentally they’re reserves do really well when the 1st team don’t play? Some strange erratic results but with the crazy dual signing rules it happens in lots of Clubs, Dropship reserves makes intriguing reading as well.

Listened to the podcast last night and the one of the reasons behind the merger of the leagues is the avoidance of dual signings - can only be a good thing for one club players from step 7 down.

2 hours ago, Bantona said:

Listened to the podcast last night and the one of the reasons behind the merger of the leagues is the avoidance of dual signings - can only be a good thing for one club players from step 7 down.

My concern however is this will create a situation which has happened in Cornish cricket where village clubs with one team end up going under by town clubs with 5 teams. 

Cracking game at Hayle (Hayle 4 Mousehole Development 3) - went along assuming that it would be on the artificial pitch but they played on the grass which held up brilliantly.

I thought Mousehole just about shaded the first half but failed to turn enough of their superiority into opportunities and goals, with the scoreline 2-2 at the interval. The second half was more even with both teams having spells of dominance. Mousehole took a 3-2 lead on about 75 minutes but Hayle scored directly from the restart then on 82 minutes Hayle took advantage of a Mousehole defensive error to score the winner. 

Sticker AFC Reserves 0-6 Torpoint AFC Reserves

Torpoint XI; Brown, Bouch, Coutts, T.Manuel, Martindale, Haslam, Payn, Larsen, Taylor, J.Manuel, Stearnes.

Subs used; Bark, Murray, Gibbons, Bays

Scorers: Stearnes (2), J.Manuel (2), Larsen, Bays

10:30 confirmation, the two most special words in local football "GAME ON". After a postponement already for our ECPL side we shortly learnt that we were off in the TWL. Travelling down to Sticker, Ian and I were certain, like many other local games, it'd be called off on arrival. When we did arrive, I was surprised that there was no surface water on the pitch and it looked in incredible shape. Our warm up area however...

To the game. Sticker came out of the traps early forcing Brown into a point blank save. We weren't able to avert this early pressure when Sticker were in again, this time Brown was able to parry the first before getting to his feet and saving again before we were able to clear. Sticker would've been left kicking themselves to not be at least one up with a lot of joy coming from their left hand side. From here, we were able to build into the game as Larsen had our first chance from a slip ball from Taylor. One v one on the angle he could only put his shot wide of the right hand post. We soon found our first goal through Stearnes, some neat play around the box gave Stearnes the ability to turn, touch and flick past the keeper. Soon after, J.Manuel was able to score his first for the Club with a cool finish at the back post. With Payn and Haslam dictating the game in the middle, Taylor was able to find pockets between the lines to free our forward men. A third was found when Stearnes was unwilling to give up the chase to close down the onrushing keeper before holding off the defence to make it 3. Sticker were almost able to get one back before the break with 2 shots being blocked 6 yards from goal, first from Coutts, then from T.Manuel.

HT 0-3

Coming out for the 2nd half I'd like to say the rain settled, it did not... But still, the pitch was playable.

Against the wind we knew that keeping the ball down and moving the hosts would open up more space for Stearnes, Payn and Taylor. However, it was Larsen that tried his luck from all of 25 yards to place over the keeper to make it 4 before shortly having to come off injured for debutant Bark. Sticker did have opportunities with 3 well taken corners cleared off the line or well from the Torpoint backline. Another knock to Bouch saw Murray introduced to a Torpoint Reserve side for the first time in 5 seasons and his classes showed on the ball slotting in alongside Coutts and Manuel. J.Manuel soon had his 2nd after more good build up play. With the game entering the final 10 mins, we unfortunately turned to the experience of Bays and Gibbons to replace Stearnes and Manuel who'd ran their socks off for their goals. With joy coming down the right hand side, Murray and Bark were able to play in Bays who initially looked to cross before seeing the keeper in no man's land so was able to place home for his first reserve team goal and the ripe age of 33.

A better performance again from the team and the workrate was incredible. I thought the official managed the game extremely well throughout, constantly engaging with players where the pitch could've been an issue. Post match, showers were warm and much needed! Food, sausage and chips, just have to make sure certain players don't take more than their fill.

MOTM - Josh Payn

Another week break now before a trip to Altarnun.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - SATURDAY, 26TH NOVEMBER, 2022
1 hour ago, GKBH said:

With the leagues above restructuring next season, how many teams from the St Pirans are likely to step up?  Will teams be made to (if they don't have teams in the league(s) above) or will it be done on application and merit I.e league positions?

Still by application from Step 7 to 6. Although I am sure @Steve Carpenter will confirm 100%

24 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Well surely they'll still take sufficient to keep it as proposed 16 per division?

To make the restructuring of any real value and purpose they have to keep to the numbers suggested! 

That’s what I’m saying, if they take to make up to 16, leaves lower leagues even shorter

32 minutes ago, GKBH said:

Can the SWPL have 16 teams or does it have to have a minimum of 20 as its on the FA Pyramid?

There is no SWPL after this season, however the new Step 6 divisions of the proposed Western Peninsula are to have 18 each

10 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

So condense leagues means less leagues, less teams, not good for local football surely?

Or could it be same number of teams but less divisions meaning at least either the same games for everyone or for some actually more. Which do you want? The clubs have to speak up and decide for yourselves surely?

But it has to be the clubs decision not to be swayed by players as I'm afraid to say it is obvious the players cannot all be relied on!

12 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

There is no SWPL after this season, however the new Step 6 divisions of the proposed Western Peninsula are to have 18 each

Or could it be same number of teams but less divisions meaning at least either the same games for everyone or for some actually more. Which do you want? The clubs have to speak up and decide for yourselves surely?

But it has to be the clubs decision not to be swayed by players as I'm afraid to say it is obvious the players cannot all be relied on!

Isn't the Western Peninsula starting with 16 so as to no decimate the league below?

3 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Isn't the Western Peninsula starting with 16 so as to no decimate the league below?

Well unless things have changed from the original suggestions :-

"The two Step 5 leagues would create a new footprint with the North Division covering Bristol and its environs, Somerset, and depending on locations of eligible clubs, parts of East Devon and West Dorset with the South Division covering Devon and Cornwall and subject to location of eligible clubs South Somerset and West Dorset.
To achieve this new structure requires the recruitment of up to a further 12 clubs. This would be achieved by way of promotion from Step 6, relegation from Step 4 and some degree of lateral movement in the North and East of the territory, fully dependant of the situation when the transition is made. 
The vacancies at Step 6 would be filled by way of promotion from feeder leagues across the South West together with relegation from Step 5.
Whilst the geography of the Step 6 leagues remains broadly similar there is an opportunity to rationalise numbers to 18 in each league making 54 clubs in all, currently the three Divisions have up to 60 clubs."

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Well unless things have changed from the original suggestions :-

"The two Step 5 leagues would create a new footprint with the North Division covering Bristol and its environs, Somerset, and depending on locations of eligible clubs, parts of East Devon and West Dorset with the South Division covering Devon and Cornwall and subject to location of eligible clubs South Somerset and West Dorset.
To achieve this new structure requires the recruitment of up to a further 12 clubs. This would be achieved by way of promotion from Step 6, relegation from Step 4 and some degree of lateral movement in the North and East of the territory, fully dependant of the situation when the transition is made. 
The vacancies at Step 6 would be filled by way of promotion from feeder leagues across the South West together with relegation from Step 5.
Whilst the geography of the Step 6 leagues remains broadly similar there is an opportunity to rationalise numbers to 18 in each league making 54 clubs in all, currently the three Divisions have up to 60 clubs."

I think it probably has then.

4 hours ago, FutureGK said:

A very entertaining game given the conditions. Hats off to both teams ..

Hayle have to be in the discussion for possible promotion ?

I missed the game yesterday,  but I have heard it was very entertaining,  the few games I have seen this season , Hayle play some very good football  , hats off to Joe and his assistants , good to watch ,  it's been a difficult season with Patch having to step down due to work , he put a lot of things into place and will be missed , so for a few games there wasnt a manager in place , as everyone knows ,there has also been ongoing problem with raising a reserve team , hopefully this can be resolved,  I'm now only a supporter so these are my own opinions,  I have always thought with the facilities available why more local players are not attracted to use them , Hayle own everything including the only 3g pitch in Cornwall,  ( by a club ) .

Less leagues = more teams per division = more fixtures per team = continued interest in the schedule in my opinion. 
If you have a team with only 20 fixtures across 9 months you can understand why players find alternative things to do. If Step 6 and 7 must have x amount of teams that’s fine, the FA dictate that. Under that level, we must find a balance of the right amount of teams for each division to sustain the interest like Steve C said. I don’t think that should be too difficult. 

52 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Less leagues = more teams per division = more fixtures per team = continued interest in the schedule in my opinion. 
If you have a team with only 20 fixtures across 9 months you can understand why players find alternative things to do. If Step 6 and 7 must have x amount of teams that’s fine, the FA dictate that. Under that level, we must find a balance of the right amount of teams for each division to sustain the interest like Steve C said. I don’t think that should be too difficult. 

Exactly what I was getting at but I didn’t get my words out, better at driving tractors !!

4 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Still by application from Step 7 to 6. Although I am sure @Steve Carpenter will confirm 100%

That's correct.  The current understanding is that no more than 2 teams will be taken from each St Piran division and the usual promotion criteria will apply i.e. clubs must apply by 31st Dec, finish in the top 5 and meet the ground grading.