Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - SATURDAY, 19TH NOVEMBER, 2022

Truro City Res 0, Illogan RBL 0.

You wouldn't expect these 2 teams to provide two equally enthralling games just 2 weeks apart, but this was another dinger! Thoroughly enjoyable spectacle with both sides giving no quartz and playing excellent football. Neither side deserved to lose, yet either could have won. Good saves by the Illogan ;keeper kept out Truro's boys, indecision in the Truro box robbed Illogan of several chances. Good playing surface, nice wide pitch. My first sight of Tregye.

A few familiar faces from my Truro announcing days: good to see them.

One rumour: today's ref expected the Illogan team to "make allowances" for the fact that many of the Truro side were under 18. If the rumour is correct then it was wrong: this is a MEN'S league and if U-18s are on the field, they have to take what comes. Some home fans think their side was "kicked off the park" 2 weeks ago. Well, that's point of view. But I thought today that the youngsters had indeed toughened up and were't fazed at all by Illogan's physicality. Tackles flew in from both teams. Not only did Truro earn a point, they learned more about the physical side of the game and acquitted themselves well.

A great game to watch, thoroughly enjoyable. Nice to see the old Treyew Road VIP Portakabin put to good use!

Gate 50+.hot choc £1, but why didn't Truro put the elegant little stand on the half-way line?

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - SATURDAY, 19TH NOVEMBER, 2022
5 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Wendron Res. 2 - 2 Perranwell

@Dave DeaconFormalities to be gone through before the two unplayed games change from P-P.

Quite right and so I've changed them to read just P-P.

Very sad to see though that two games not played today because of inability of getting a team together. Must be concerning times for managers of all teams throughout the footballing system not knowing from one week to another who they might have available for their next match! 

5 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

What is it coming to st Agnes can’t raise a side poor that is at this level 

Thank you Cornish leg end for your opinion and comment which was very constructive and informed.

We are running a very young team this season and unfortunately several were injured in our league fixture v St Day last week affecting an already depleted squad.

This was a refixtured match which we would've played two weeks ago but for the weather and this also didn't help players re-arranging to get to Millbrook this week.

We wish Millbrook good luck in the next round.

I would personally ask that before you make comments about how poor you think a club is you look at just how many teams, players and different levels of football that club provides including how well and how long it has been doing it for.

I would also suggest that you consider that the decision wasn't made lightly and that maybe for a manager like Martyn to not fulfil a fixture there might be something else going on behind it you that you have no knowledge of.

Please feel very welcome to get in touch if you would like to discuss further.

Mandy K Chair St Agnes AFC

29 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Quite right and so I've changed them to read just P-P.

Very sad to see though that two games not played today because of inability of getting a team together. Must be concerning times for managers of all teams throughout the footballing system not knowing from one week to another who they might have available for their next match! 

2 teams I assumed the hayle / penryn was a  unplayable pitch ? 

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

So did he?

Well, no-one got sent off until about the 88th minute and that was for mouthing off. Some yellow cards, one even, I think, to a Truro player. Like the game 2 weeks ago, it was feisty but I wouldn't call it bad-tempered. Bit like a normally competitive game 50 years ago.

Again, well-played both teams, for producing a thoroughly enjoyable match which either side could have won but neither deserved to lose. If Truro can keep those lads together for three or four years they should climb the football ladder.

19 minutes ago, FutureGK said:

This is not a reference to the TCFC v Illogan game but the subject in general…

It’s OPEN AGE football not MENS!  yes it will be more physical, that’s part of the development process, after all it is a contact sport and a strong challenge is fair enough, but it’s the overly aggressive behaviour, the late challenges (to teach them a lesson) the verbal abuse on the pitch the intimidation etc that needs to stop..

But all involved from clubs, refs, players, coaches and the CCFA have a duty of care to ensure U18s are safeguarded. 

Kicking lumps out of kids because they run rings around older less fit /talented  players isn’t acceptable anymore …

Hence why the drop out rate from youth to mens is so high and teams struggle to put a side out because their young players are injured.

yep Im fully expecting multiple replies to my post of its “Mens toughen up” , if their not “HARD” enough they shouldn’t be playing etc etc… but it’s not 50 years ago thankfully things have moved on and people need to catch up…

Most of the time youngsters get lumps kicked out of them and intimidated because of that exact reason because they are fitter, quicker and better, it’s not right but it’ll always be the case unfortunately. There is a “Duty of Care” by refs for under 18s I believe so they should have more protection as technically there are still kids or make adults football from 18 years old but most would drop out between 16-18. 

51 minutes ago, Lifeintheolddog said:

Most of the time youngsters get lumps kicked out of them and intimidated because of that exact reason because they are fitter, quicker and better, it’s not right but it’ll always be the case unfortunately. There is a “Duty of Care” by refs for under 18s I believe so they should have more protection as technically there are still kids or make adults football from 18 years old but most would drop out between 16-18. 

A duty of care by al participants not just the referee!

The referee only needs to know about U18’s to report any safeguarding incidents, e.g. intimidating behaviour. The rest should just be treated the same.

2 hours ago, FutureGK said:

This is not a reference to the TCFC v Illogan game but the subject in general…

It’s OPEN AGE football not MENS!  yes it will be more physical, that’s part of the development process, after all it is a contact sport and a strong challenge is fair enough, but it’s the overly aggressive behaviour, the late challenges (to teach them a lesson) the verbal abuse on the pitch the intimidation etc that needs to stop..

But all involved from clubs, refs, players, coaches and the CCFA have a duty of care to ensure U18s are safeguarded. 

Kicking lumps out of kids because they run rings around older less fit /talented  players isn’t acceptable anymore …

Hence why the drop out rate from youth to mens is so high and teams struggle to put a side out because their young players are injured.

yep Im fully expecting multiple replies to my post of its “Mens toughen up” , if their not “HARD” enough they shouldn’t be playing etc etc… but it’s not 50 years ago thankfully things have moved on and people need to catch up…

If anyone is kicking lumps out of anyone these days shouldn’t the referee be booking or sending off players??

I agree the days when I played are over (lots of my opponents will say thankfully) and as my 21 year old is playing, I am pleased he doesn’t get the treatment we got 25 years ago…..but if the laws of the game are broken then the referee needs to deal with it.

I watched Kevin Knowles referee yesterday and It was a bit of a throw back to my days of allowing the goalkeeper to get bundled in the back of the net from a corner, people getting kicked when they drive past the opponent (think tried to let the game flow) so if referees aren’t adhering to the laws of the game for all players we are going to always get this, as players think “well it was allowed last week”.

we don’t want to see cards for cards sake, but if deliberate or dangerous then it is easy to stop…give a card for the first dangerous tackle and people know the boundaries…allow a couple to go on as “early in the game” and you have set yourself up for a bruising encounter.

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I’m told Tom the stand is not central so the floodlights can be positioned to give best light without blocking any view

Ri-ight!

As for the other comments about "safeguarding" under 18s in an "open age" game, words fail me. Sounds woke rubbish to me. The safeguarding thing began as a reaction to sexual predators back along and seems to have morphed into something inoperable. Like, refs are expected to know who all the U-18s are in each team? And do what: go soft on them but not the rest? It flies in the face of logic and common sense. 

Makes me wonder how I ever survived to 75. I played in men's football briefly at 17, weighing about 9 stone in wet kit, got kicked up in the air a few times but it was what the world was like. Better for young people, better for society than today's social attitudes.

But yesterday's game was a cracker and I think S Abbo's comment sums it up.

On 19/11/2022 at 18:38, aggiemaid said:

Thank you Cornish leg end for your opinion and comment which was very constructive and informed.

We are running a very young team this season and unfortunately several were injured in our league fixture v St Day last week affecting an already depleted squad.

This was a refixtured match which we would've played two weeks ago but for the weather and this also didn't help players re-arranging to get to Millbrook this week.

We wish Millbrook good luck in the next round.

I would personally ask that before you make comments about how poor you think a club is you look at just how many teams, players and different levels of football that club provides including how well and how long it has been doing it for.

I would also suggest that you consider that the decision wasn't made lightly and that maybe for a manager like Martyn to not fulfil a fixture there might be something else going on behind it you that you have no knowledge of.

Please feel very welcome to get in touch if you would like to discuss further.

Mandy K Chair St Agnes AFC

Well said Mandy 👏👏

On 19/11/2022 at 17:27, Tom Trust said:

One rumour: today's ref expected the Illogan team to "make allowances" for the fact that many of the Truro side were under 18. If the rumour is correct then it was wrong: this is a MEN'S league and if U-18s are on the field, they have to take what comes. Some home fans think their side was "

From a safeguarding perspective this post is very ill informed. 

Knowing who u18s are is good practice from the referee. If that was interpreted as make allowances that isn't quite right but you have to remember that in the eyes of the law u18s are children. As such, a non-footballing offence (violent conduct for example) would fall into a category of an offence against a minor and players over 18 would do very well to remind themselves of that before any red mist descended.

Further to that, the referee would be duty bound to report any safeguarding concerns he/she witnesses and he/she wouldn't really know it was one unless u18s are disclosed to him/her. 

Every club, if they haven't done so without being asked already, should be being asked by every referee to disclose their u18 players when submitting their teamsheet.

1 hour ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

From a safeguarding perspective this post is very ill informed. 

Knowing who u18s are is good practice from the referee. If that was interpreted as make allowances that isn't quite right but you have to remember that in the eyes of the law u18s are children. As such, a non-footballing offence (violent conduct for example) would fall into a category of an offence against a minor and players over 18 would do very well to remind themselves of that before any red mist descended.

Further to that, the referee would be duty bound to report any safeguarding concerns he/she witnesses and he/she wouldn't really know it was one unless u18s are disclosed to him/her. 

Every club, if they haven't done so without being asked already, should be being asked by every referee to disclose their u18 players when submitting their teamsheet.

All u18s should be identified as such on the referee's copy of the team sheet.  All clubs were reminded of this a while ago.

20 minutes ago, FutureGK said:

Also it’s about decency, your 19 stone 35 year old doesn’t have to go into a challenge with 100% force against a 9 stone 16 year old…

Many teams in the St Pirans manage to play against younger teams without excessive force being used or threats and abuse! 

Think mens footballs about winning why should that 35 year old not go in 100% cause the 16 year olds, 9 stone, are you saying he can go in 100% on the 18 and overs ? If so maybe that 16 year old shouldn’t be playing mens football yet . No player is gonna think hang on better hold back here when the balls there to be won . 

9 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

I’m finding above discussion very confusing. So I’m probably wrong in assuming that, it would be beneficial for opposing teams to know which players are under 18 before the game starts in order to for warn players not to fall foul any safeguarding issues.

Yep me too seems the young lads should be treated differently, to all the other players on the pitch 🤷‍♂️ Clubs playing youngsters before they are ready maybe that’s a safeguarding issue . 
As asking for different treatment during a game by opposing players and the referee seems ridiculous.

I think some of the posts above have misunderstood the reasoning. The game itself and laws applied shouldn't change. But when you started as a youngster "back in the day" were you ever in the box for a corner and someone grabbed your "junk"? I'm 33 and it happened to me in September. But if I was an u18, it's a criminal offence! And that is why a referee should be aware of who is u18 to protect them from things like this happening. Imagine the implications to the offender for sexually assaulting an u18? Some of you may not have seen it, but there was a fully justified email from the CCFA not too long ago sent out warning about this sort of scenario, I believe, due to it actually occurring in a local league.

This is nothing to do with tough tackling or referees protecting teenagers from "the game". 

Guidance for U18 in open age football attached to this post.

Every time a club folds there are posts on this forum regarding how unreliable today’s youth are. 

The numbers of clubs in grassroots football are reducing rapidly.

The drop-out rates of players post U16s are exceptionally high.

We either take care of our U18s in open age football properly and invest in the game’s future OR if adults can’t accept that some things are more important than winning today’s game, then no U18s in a purely men’s league seems to be the way to go. Current solution seems to be failing at the moment, unfortunately. 

guidance---clubs-with-u18-players.pdf

21 hours ago, FutureGK said:

Plenty of players can and do show restraint , we are talking about needless excessive force in OPEN age football … 

This could be why FA big wigs have been watching several clubs and there behaviour or antics on the pitch. Watched Illogan against sticker and some turned up in FA branded kit to watch from the stand