Cornwall Football Forum

England’s Squad and chances?

JonColenzo

Southgate is a negative manbager who won't take chances. There's probsbly 7 players who won't get a minute of action.

Hes a man who's contradicted himself so many times thst it's a joke.  He's way out of his depth abd I believe this will be his last tournament and he won't succeed in any job moving forward. 

13 minutes ago, hedgerow said:

Same here, no interest whatsoever, been watching the Rugby League/Union World Cup.  Wheelchair tournament was brilliant

Off to the Emirates Stadium tomorrow for the England v Samoa RL World Cup semi. If it's half as good a game as Samoa v Tonga last week, then it will be a hell of a watch.

8 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Off to the Emirates Stadium tomorrow for the England v Samoa RL World Cup semi. If it's half as good a game as Samoa v Tonga last week, then it will be a hell of a watch.

Just finished watching Australia v New Zealand. What a bruising encounter, hard challenges but players just got on with it, brilliant 

Quater finals , semi finals at best , Toney as previously stated investigation into gambling cost his place.  Calum Wilson deserved on form , Maguire's inclusion not on present form but hasn't let England down in past tournaments,  Ben White can cover right back or centre , deserved call up . I think the biggest bug bearer is FIFA giving Qatar the world cup , and letting it take part in a country with  dubious human rights . It's all about the dollar I'm afraid , Its messed up various leagues around the world, but money talks , I must say not lots of fans warming to this tournament at the moment but come KO more will tune in. The usual suspects to win , Brazil,  Germany,  France ,  but let's not forget how many lives have been lost to build these stadiums 🤬

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2022 at 19:33, Buckland Jim said:

Q/F's at best I think (did say that before the squad was picked). 

Quarter Finals it was as well. In reality, we didn't do enough to go any further either!

On 11/11/2022 at 07:44, St Darren said:

Southgate is a negative manbager who won't take chances. There's probsbly 7 players who won't get a minute of action.

Hes a man who's contradicted himself so many times thst it's a joke.  He's way out of his depth abd I believe this will be his last tournament and he won't succeed in any job moving forward. 

If I'm right in thinking, it was 7 players who didn't get a minute of action. It now remains to be seen whether he'll stay on as manager, or not. One thing's for sure, I can't see the FA sacking him. So if he was to go, it would be him resigning!

2 hours ago, Jengles Judgements said:

Quarter Finals it was as well. In reality, we didn't do enough to go any further either!

If I'm right in thinking, it was 7 players who didn't get a minute of action. It now remains to be seen whether he'll stay on as manager, or not. One thing's for sure, I can't see the FA sacking him. So if he was to go, it would be him resigning!

He didn't/doesn't change things to alter a game.  He made 5 subs in the Iran game when it was already won. Think there was Trent, Wilson, Phillips who possibly came on and didn't play again, I maybe wrong though. 

I don't get all the praise he's had, yes he's won some knock out games but look at who England have beaten, there's no one there that they shouldn't have beaten. 

In my opinion he's underachieved. 

On 13/12/2022 at 20:06, St Darren said:

He didn't/doesn't change things to alter a game.  He made 5 subs in the Iran game when it was already won. Think there was Trent, Wilson, Phillips who possibly came on and didn't play again, I maybe wrong though. 

I don't get all the praise he's had, yes he's won some knock out games but look at who England have beaten, there's no one there that they shouldn't have beaten. 

In my opinion he's underachieved. 

I personally think the changes he made in the France game were just too late. After the Harry Kane penalty (the one he scored), I think he should've made a change then. We had the upper hand against the French, and could've had them right up against the ropes, had we made a sub that would've further tipped the game in our favour. We just needed that extra bit of cutting edge, one that I felt we were lacking a little bit at that stage. As it happens, we didn't capitalise on the advantage we had over them, and then they came back in to the game.

As for his future, I wouldn't complain too much if he was to either stay or go. Personally though, I'd like him to stay for one more tournament!

1 hour ago, Jengles Judgements said:

I personally think the changes he made in the France game were just too late. After the Harry Kane penalty (the one he scored), I think he should've made a change then. We had the upper hand against the French, and could've had them right up against the ropes, had we made a sub that would've further tipped the game in our favour. We just needed that extra bit of cutting edge, one that I felt we were lacking a little bit at that stage. As it happens, we didn't capitalise on the advantage we had over them, and then they came back in to the game.

As for his future, I wouldn't complain too much if he was to either stay or go. Personally though, I'd like him to stay for one more tournament!

That's what I mean. He never went for it when England were on top and I don't think he ever has. 

Euro final was perfect example of not knowing what to do when he was on top. 

Underachieved.

On 15/12/2022 at 19:13, St Darren said:

That's what I mean. He never went for it when England were on top and I don't think he ever has. 

Euro final was perfect example of not knowing what to do when he was on top. 

Underachieved.

Whether he's underachieved or not, there's no denying that England have got a bright future ahead of us though. Some really talented players, that we need to get behind for many years to come. We certainly have the potential to win a major tournament. Whether we will or not, that remains to be seen!

21 minutes ago, Jengles Judgements said:

After today's news, it looks like you've got to poke up with him for another two years mate!

As I've said before, I couldn't give two shites about England.  The country celebrate underachievement as if we're the minnows in a tournament. 

He's a decent bloke though which the FA want. 

On 17/12/2022 at 17:04, Jengles Judgements said:

Whether he's underachieved or not, there's no denying that England have got a bright future ahead of us though. Some really talented players, that we need to get behind for many years to come. We certainly have the potential to win a major tournament. Whether we will or not, that remains to be seen!

Thrilling final yesterday, one of the few games of the World Cup I have actually sat down and watched. Can't help but think, take out Messi, Mbappe (and a few others on both sides) how good were Argentina and France in reality? To name one player from each side,  thought that Acuna (the Argentine substitute left back) and Rabiot (the French central midfielder) were terrible.

Slightly left with the feeling that England blew this, it was there for the taking. Which leads into my thoughts about Gareth Southgate, believe that if Robert Mancini had been coach of this England side in 2021, then they would have won the Euros and if Didier Deschamps and Southgate had magically swapped jobs ahead of the quarter final game, then England would have won that game. Southgate is undoubtedly a decent man, a capable coach and very popular with the players, but has he got the extra 1% needed to actually win something? If Southgate had been coaching France yesterday, would he have made that double substitution in the 41st minute (when Kolo Muani and Thuram came on, and gave France some attacking momentum)?