Cornwall Football Forum

FA VASE VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS - FALMOUTH TOWN V HELSTON ATHLETIC

Piran

Probably the worst refereeing decision you will see in a while...... I don't like to see players sent off automatically for what we call handbags... But that should have left the ref with no other option. 

Game looked good with a good atmosphere... Fairly even judging by highlights but would say result  looked fair

Has Harrison moved away yet 😂

38 minutes ago, Cornwall Alex said:

Excellent highlights! Red card? Have to say yes I'm afraid. Those around me yesterday all feared for Andreas. You can see Luke's expression as well. We got away with one there I think.

Agree with the excellent highlights.   As to a red card, I'm not so sure.  A red card for Tyler Elliot for holding Andeas Calleja-Stayne around the throat a drawing blood?  A red card for Andeas' response?  Or a red card for Cory Harvey for bringing down Luke Barner in the box?  On balance I think the referee got most of the decisions right.  Even in a highly charged incident he calmed things down and kept the game flowing.

13 minutes ago, Town Fan said:

Agree with the excellent highlights.   As to a red card, I'm not so sure.  A red card for Tyler Elliot for holding Andeas Calleja-Stayne around the throat a drawing blood?  A red card for Andeas' response?  Or a red card for Cory Harvey for bringing down Luke Barner in the box?  On balance I think the referee got most of the decisions right.  Even in a highly charged incident he calmed things down and kept the game flowing.

Can’t be a red for Cory as it’s an attempt to play the ball in the box. Should be a yellow.

Poor back 4?

Unfortunate comment given the final result.  Should have cut that one out Mr Piran to spare Mr Massey's blushes.

Whilst on the subject, would Helston sign James Ward and/or Tom Annear if they became available? Think we know the answer to that one.  That being said, Harrison Jewell would look good in black and amber!

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Do any of the helston players take Steve Massey seriously?? He trying to talk to them half time and everyone of them is just ignoring him and walking around. 
Also  why does Jordan copp always seem to be on the bench must be helston best player by a mile  .  Great highlights mind  

A coach as good as Matt Cusack will always be missed when he is not there.

Surprising that Copp and also Sam Carter get used so infrequently.  Both too good to be on the bench every week.

Excellent highlights again.  Helston fans are lucky they get this kind of coverage on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, FootballChat said:

Can’t be a red for Cory as it’s an attempt to play the ball in the box. Should be a yellow.

Cory does live dangerously,having seen the torpoint game highlights he could have had a red card for at least 3 one on one challenges that day.I believe he spent more time on the touchline berating the linesman and referee yesterday than he spent in his own area.Great save with his foot from luke Barner though.👍Terrific Atmosphere for our level .Hopefully the magpie from penzance wasnt there ,he'd have hated all that juvenile singing and chanting.😁

Excellent highlights, as ever. Thought Helston looked good at times but sometimes flattered to deceive and were not sharp enough up front. For the second home game I have watched in a row, Falmouth had to show resilience and really dig in to hold on to their lead. But their pace up front is a real asset which will test lots of teams. Overall, a good Vase tie but both teams will need improvement overall to make a real mark on this season.

5 hours ago, mattelot said:

Cory does live dangerously,having seen the torpoint game highlights he could have had a red card for at least 3 one on one challenges that day.I believe he spent more time on the touchline berating the linesman and referee yesterday than he spent in his own area.Great save with his foot from luke Barner though.👍Terrific Atmosphere for our level .Hopefully the magpie from penzance wasnt there ,he'd have hated all that juvenile singing and chanting.😁

I saw those highlights and agree that he plays close to the limit and got lucky on a few occasions.

However, so long as those occasions are inside the penalty area then he’s unlikely to get more than a yellow card when it goes wrong. Unless of course it’s a tackle worthy of a red card in its own right! 

8 hours ago, The Town Man said:

A coach as good as Matt Cusack will always be missed when he is not there.

Surprising that Copp and also Sam Carter get used so infrequently.  Both too good to be on the bench every week.

Excellent highlights again.  Helston fans are lucky they get this kind of coverage on a regular basis.

they need you tube , because their fans dont go to actual games lol 

In our previous games we lost, drew against Helston and some previous away league games - I wondered what could have been if we had our caption and striker available. With James Ward and Jack Bray Evans back it adds a different dimension although they both probably not fully match fit yet. The link up plays between Barner, Brabyn and JBE etc are starting to come back and work at higher league level and a joy to watch. Does anyone else think Ollie walker looked exceptionally quick?! - fingers crossed we have him for longer as I believe he is seeking a new job. Just a side note all the Falmouth players have been excellent this year and their efforts will bring success in the long term. 💛🖤💛🖤

I have to say that I really enjoyed the highlights. Love him or not, you have to admit that Steve Massey really gets totally engrossed in the game (or any other game that he watches, which are many) and you can't fault him for that. It was a nice touch that he gave the F-Troop a wave when they called for him to do so. As said above, the difference is starting to show with JBE and Wardy back in the side. They will help the younger players that Westy has brought in, as it is a big step up from the St. Pirans League to the Toolstation Western League, but if they stick together in a few years they should cement their places in the team. in the current financial climate this will probably be the way that quite a few other clubs will go, bringing through young hungry players. Let's hope that no more clubs withdraw from any of the West Country leagues as it is a very sad and heart breaking for all concerned. Hopefully, with the re-structuring of the Western League next season some of the financial burden will be lifted.

12 minutes ago, golong said:

The boy Walker is the difference, it's no coincidence they start picking up points when he is playing.  

Totally agree with this. It was his cross that picked out Brabyn for the winning goal. Harrison Jewell, who I rate highly, certainly had something to think about when they clashed one on one. 

Town deserved that victory on Saturday. We had the better of the 1st half and went 2-0 up with a penalty from JBE and a superb volley from Luke Brabyn but then conceded a daft free kick which i must admit was superbly slotted home just before half time making it 2-1.

We sat back 2nd half a bit to see if Helston could break us down (our defence is very poor btw :) ... Masseys words) but alas i can't remember one decent save Barnsey had to make. Helston huffed and puffed but Town stood firm and had a couple of glorious chances to put the game to bed, sadly these were missed :(

Helston couldn't handle Ollie Walkers pace while Luke Brabyn on the other wing was a constant threat, as was Luke Barner breaking from midfield. Obviously Wardys return to the side and JBE returning to full fitness are really important to us but we still had Scotty Kellow, Timmy Nixon & Kayden Gordon-Dunn unavailable for the game, hopefully they will return this Saturday although i suspect Scotty will need a couple more weeks after his appendix op. 

Great atmosphere generated by the 600+ crowd. Every single game at Bickland Park is eagerly awaited.

Still lots to play for with the League cup, Cornwall Senior Cup and FA Vase all up for grabs. But next Saturday its all about climbing up the Western League table with a win against the visiting Keynsham. UP THE TOWN.... UP THE F-TROOP !!