Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Gerrans & St Mawes 2022-23

Ian B

Recommended Posts

Saturday 15th October 2022

GSM 2 Foxhole 2

Honours even after a hard fought dual between two committed sides. No quarter given by either side.

After an even start with chances for both sides Foxhole took the lead on 16 mins when a quickly played free kick into the path of their #9, who look suspiciously offside, who looked to get in behind the GSM defence. Reehan in the GSM goal came out to meet the ball, clearing the ball to halfway before coming together with the on-rushing Foxhole forward but the referee deemed his challenge to be a foul and awarded a penalty.  Reehan brilliantly saved the initial penalty and the rebound, but the ball finally fell to a Foxhole player to slot home from 3 yards out.

GSM pushed for an equaliser, creating a couple of half chances without really troubling the Foxhole keeper. GSM grabbed the equaliser on 27 when a corner to the far post was headed back into the danger zone by Jack Cawrse before Foxhole cleared to the edge of the area where Charlie Andrews stuck a left foot shot towards goal and Jason Busby diverted the ball beyond the Foxhole keeper. Foxhole regained the lead shortly after when a long throw found their #9 free at the far post to head home. Shortly after GSM were reduced to 10 men for 10 mins due to a sin bin but Foxhole failed to make their numeric advantage tell. H-T GSM 1 Foxhole 2

GSM came out strong second half pushing for the equaliser. Playing down the slope they coped better in the windy conditions, as they kept the ball on the floor and started to keep things simple. GSM created a number of chances but were not able to break down the Foxhole defence. It was one way traffic and the equaliser finally came when Foxhole failed to clear a GSM corner, Sean Johnston hooking the ball back across the area where Jason Busby fired home for a well-deserved leveller. GSM continued to control the game but couldn't find the winning goal. Foxhole almost stole the points late on but for a brilliant reflex save from Reehan in the GSM goal.

Thanks to the stand in ref and both linos. Good luck to Foxhole for the rest of the season.

GSM MOTM - Reehan Husssain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saturday 22nd October 2022

GSM 3 St Mawgan Res 2

GSM scraped through to the 3rd round of the Junior Cup after winning a scrappy game against a game St Mawgan side.

St Mawgan took the lead after 15 mins. A free kick down their right was played into the area, where it was headed out to the edge of the area by the GSM defence straight on to the head of a St Mawgan player. The ball was headed back into the 6-yard box where 2 GSM players went for the same ball, the ball finally coming off Angus Joce and finding the far corner. GSM went close to an equaliser 3 mins later, Jason Busby striking the bar from a free kick just outside the box (slight suspicion the keeper got a touch). St Mawgan almost double their lead on 25 when a cross from the right found their player unmarked in the centre of the box but he failed to get a good contact. The ball was recycled, and GSM manged to scramble the ball clear. GSM were handed the chance to equalise when they were awarded a penalty. Angus Joce collected a short corner and drove into the box before going down under pressure. Up stepped Charlie Andrew but his penalty was saved by the keeper. Half time GSM 0 St Mawgan Res 1

GSM made a change at half time with Aaron Moyses replacing Marco Braz. It only took 10 mins for Moyses to bring GSM level, delivering a delightful corner with his left foot, the ball evading everyone on its way in at the far post, the players running to celebrate with Moyses. St Mawgan came close to an equaliser almost immediately, but Reehan in the GSM goal did well to tip over a deflected shot that look like it might loop over him. 62 mins and GSM took the lead when Moyses fired a sumptuous diagonal ball into the path of Jason Busby, who's run was halted by the St Mawgan keeper. Penalty to GSM and a red card for the keeper. Jason Busby took over penalty taking duties and fired the ball home. St Mawgan levelled on 68 when a free kick from their own half was drilled towards the GSM box. The St Mawgan forward getting the slightest touch to direct the ball into the far corner. 75 mins and GSM went ahead again. Sean Johnston released Jason Busby whose effort was well saved by the keeper, Busby regained the ball and crossed to the far post where Moyses diverted the ball back into the path of Charlie Andrew, who duly fired home from 10 yards. St Mawgan almost forced extra time late on when a long-range shot was parried by Reehan, the ball falling to the on-rushing St Mawgan forward with the goal at his mercy, but Reehan pulled off a superb reaction save to keep the ball out.

Thanks to today's ref and linos. Good luck to St Mawgan Res for the rest of the season, see you in a couple of weeks for our Duchy league game.

MOTM for his second half display Aaron Moyses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saturday 29th October 2022

St Cleer 5 GSM 4

A first defeat of the season for GSM on a heavy pitch up at St Cleer.

GSM had early chances with first Jordan Rogers side footing a volley over the bar from close in and then Jason Busby breaking down the left before firing a left foot shot off the bar. GSM took the lead on 10 mins when Hayden Cawrse played a long ball down the right, the St Cleer defender misjudged the flight allowing Busby in behind. He drove into the box and slide the ball under the advancing keeper. St Cleer levelled on 15 when the GSM defence were caught in possession on the edge of their own area and the ball was played into the box for their striker to finish right footed. St Cleer had their tails up and after getting in down the right and forcing a save from Reehan in the GSM goal, they took the lead. A quick throw catching out the GSM defence and the St Cleer forward turning inside a defender and placing his right foot shot into the corner. Things got worse for GSM when St Cleer were awarded a soft penalty mins later, the ball bouncing up as 2 players challenged and striking the elbow of Angus Joce as he fell over a St Cleer player in the box. The penalty was duly put away. St Cleer went further ahead when a ball from the GSM right found their fullback in acres of space to nod the ball home. 1-0 up to 4-1 down in 20 mins. GSM created a couple of chances before halftime but failed to test the St Cleer keeper.

St Cleer created a couple of early chances in the second half but failed to add to their lead. GSM reduced the arears on 55 mins when Busby nipped in to dispose a St Cleer defender and with a clear run on goal before finishing calmly. GSM were on the front foot now and pushing for another goal. Charlie Andrew firing a cross into the area that almost beat the St Cleer keeper at his far post, then Alex Pearce seeing his shot from the resultant corner deflecting just past the post. Busby almost notched his hattrick but put his volley wide when well placed. St Cleer restored their 3 goal lead on 70 mins, breaking down the left before the ball was crossed in to an unmarked forward to tap home. GSM still looked the more likely scorers, Busby heading over shortly after. GSM got their 3rd on 75 when a free kick was cleared to the edge of the box where Busby rifled the ball home for his hattrick. GSM continued to push St Cleer back and got within 1 gaol when Jordan Rogers headed home on 84 mins. GSM went for it in the remaining minutes but couldn't grab an unlikely equalizer. Great fight and character by GSM in the second half.

Thanks to the local ref and linos. Good luck to St Cleer for the rest of the season.

GSM MOTM - Nick Webb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Saturday 19th November

St Keverne 3 GSM Utd 0

Shorter than usual report as I lost my notes.

After 2 weeks without a game GSM made the long trip down to St Keverne in the hope of progressing to the 4th round of the Junior Cup but it wasn't to be as St Keverne ended the Cup dream for another year.

GSM had a glorious chance to take an early lead but after outstripping the St Keverne defence, Jason Busby lifted his effort over the keeper but also over the bar. St Keverne then almost took the lead shortly after when a quick break saw them through on goal, Reehan saving well with his feet to keep the scores level. St Keverne took the lead when Reehan in the GSM goal came to clear a through ball just outside his area but managed to hit his own defender Nick Webb, who was covering the forwards run. The ball flew back passed Reehan and trickled over the line. St Keverne went 2 up before half time, winning a header in the 6-yard box from a left-wing corner and the ball somehow find its way over the line. GSM did have the ball in the net themselves when Stephen Floyd-Norris challenged the keeper for a high ball, but the ref ruled it out harshly for a foul.

H/T 2-0

GSM came out looking to get themselves back in the game. Playing down the slope they had the majority of the possession, but St Keverne looked dangerous on the break, almost going 3 up when a first time shot clipped the bar with Reehan beaten. GSM kept pushing but couldn't find the killer ball. Floydy had a couple of good chances from set plays into the box but couldn't get his headers on target. St Keverne wrapped things up when a misdirected defensive header fell into the path of the St Keverne forward who calmly slotted home from 8 yards out.

Thanks to the ref and linos. Good luck to St Keverne in the next round.

GSM MOTM - Aaron Moyses

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Saturday 3rd December

St Mawgan Reserves 1 GSM Utd 0

Third defeat on the bounce for GSM who will be disappointed they didn't come away with at least a draw.

St Mawgan made a fast start with the wind at their back and should have taken the lead within 2 mins. GSM gave the ball away in midfield and St Mawgan ponced, sliding the ball into the box to their forward 8 yards out but he blazed his shot wide under no pressure. GSM's first chance came on 18 mins when good play down the left put Angus Joce through, his shot was well saved by the St Mawgan keeper. GSM recovered the rebound with Hayden Cawrse laying the ball in to the pass of Jamie Bilkey, who's well stuck shot was again well saved low down. St Mawgan took the lead on 25 mins. Reehan saving a shot from distance, pushing around the post for a corner. The first corner was swung in at pace, with Reehan doing well to tip the ball over the bar for another corner. GSM failed to deal with another in-swinging corner, giving the St Mawgan player a simple header from 1 yard out. St Mawgan almost doubled their lead 5 mins later, but Reehan again was there to parry away a strong header from 8 yards out to safety. Half time 1-0 to the hosts.

GSM started the second half brightly. 51 mins and Bilks latched on to a clearing header, out muscling the full back before cutting inside and unleashing a shot which was well saved by the St Mawgan keeper. 55 mins and debutant Solomon Wilson got through on the right edge of the box, but the keeper was out quickly to smother his attempt on goal. St Mawgan should have gone 2 up shortly after when they broke quickly down their left with a 2 on 1. The winger drew in the GSM defender before laying the ball in to the path of the forward bearing down on goal. Reehan was off his line quickly to close down the forward and did well to just enough of a touch to the shot to take the pace out of the strike, allowing Angus Joce to get back and hook the ball clear. GSM pushed forward and Bilks doing well down the right, driving into the box before appearing to be brought down but the ref waived away the appeal. The ball eventually breaking to the edge of the area with Al Pearce putting his shot over the bar. 65 mins and a short back pass by the St Mawgan defence almost allowed GSM in but again the St Mawgan keeper did well to smother the ball at the feet of Bilks. Minutes later and the St Mawgan keeper was in action again. Sol receiving a quick throw-in from the left before striking a rising shot crashed off the bar after the faintest of fingertip saves by the keeper. GSM kept pushing, getting in down the right but Aaron Moyses seeing his shot well saved once again at the near post. A rare foray into the GSM half resulted in a free kick to St Mawgan 20 yards out. The free kick was well struck but Reehan saved well to his left-hand side. GSM piled forward in the final 10 mins but were unable to find an equalising goal.

Good luck to St Mawgan for the rest of the season and thanks to the stand in ref and linos.

GSM MOTM - Angus Joce


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Saturday 4th February 2023

GSM Utd 12 Gunnislake 1
A day when GSM found their shooting boots.
Jamie Bilkey opened the scoring on 9 mins with a right foot shot from the edge of the area across the keeper and in to the far corner. 11 mins Stephen Floyd-Norris found himself in acres of space at the far post from a corner and duly volleyed home. 22 mins and Gunnislake were awarded a penalty which was converted. 33 mins Aaron Moyses fired a right foot shot from outside the area in off the far post. 38 mins Floyd-Norris notched his second, heading home from  another corner. On the stoke of half time an OG made it 5-1
Second half and within 7 mins Hayden Cawrse added number 6, dispossessing the keeper on the edge of the area and slotting home left footed. 55 mins and a flowing move ended with Bilkey driving a ball across the 6 yard box to Charlie Andrew at the far post to finish. 59 mins and again Bilkey got down the right and crossed, this time Jordan Rogers tapping home. 71  mins and Jordan Rogers crossed from the left and Bilkey ghosted in at the far post for his second of the match. 74 mins Hayden Cawrse's flicked header from Nick Webb's clearance released Marco Braz who fired passed the keeper. 78 mins Marco Braz turned the ball on in to the path of Hayden Cawrse, who turned inside the defence and calmly finished with his right. 89 mins and Jordan Rogers rounded off the scoring, latching on to a ball from Callum Grahamslaw.
There could have been more goals with GSM hitting the post, the crossbar, having 2 strong claims for penalties turned down and the ball clearly crossing the line before the keeper dragged it back in to play.
Thanks to the ref and linos. Good luck to Gunnislake for the rest of the season. Great bunch of lads who, despite the result and the long drive home, came back for food and drinks. 

MOM - Hayden Cawrse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...