Cornwall Football Forum

Abuse Of Referees, Where It Ends Up

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2022-10-11/youth-football-league-cancels-fixtures-after-threatening-behaviour

Story from taken ITV. League based in Liverpool, that has teams based on age groups from under 7's- under 17's, have cancelled their entire program of games this weekend. This is due to persistent verbal, and sometimes physical, abuse and intimidation of referees from club officials and spectators. People need to dwell on this.

16 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2022-10-11/youth-football-league-cancels-fixtures-after-threatening-behaviour

Story from taken ITV. League based in Liverpool, that has teams based on age groups from under 7's- under 17's, have cancelled their entire program of games this weekend. This is due to persistent verbal, and sometimes physical, abuse and intimidation of referees from club officials and spectators. People need to dwell on this.

I think this was the right decision. Perhaps they should consider cancelling the entire season as a sign of how determined they are to stop this appalling affair. 

Sadly, this is of course a reflection of our society today. People and particularly young people, must learn that violence is not the way and will not be tolerated.

I ref when I can -most players are decent but passionate and can be managed -

i   Remember doing a u12s game a few years ago and had to send the manger to his car for issuing appalling instructions to his son (along the lines of hurt another platr)who was also the captain 

At the end of the game the 11 year old boy apologised for his father and said he does it every week 

Kids football is some parents first experience of  the game and they lack the basics of how to behave 

On 16/10/2022 at 03:52, ledleystheking said:

I ref when I can -most players are decent but passionate and can be managed -

i   Remember doing a u12s game a few years ago and had to send the manger to his car for issuing appalling instructions to his son (along the lines of hurt another platr)who was also the captain 

At the end of the game the 11 year old boy apologised for his father and said he does it every week 

Kids football is some parents first experience of  the game and they lack the basics of how to behave 

You have the rise of the armchair coach Dad as well. Watches Match Of The Day/Sky coverage most weeks, repeats the phrases that Gary Neville and Roy Keane use on the TV most Saturday mornings during park matches. Usual habitats are standing next to his bemused looking 12 year old, hand flat on his shoulder and pointing out imaginary scenarios on the pitch, can also be found in his local on Sunday afternoons gripping a pint of lager, pointing at the screen and explaining to anybody who will listen the problems with Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool (specifically how he is misusing Trent Alexander-Arnold).

• 3 weeks later...

I officiated a local game today -mens junior 

passionate in difficult conditions so the normal sliding in and appeals for all  sorts of things .normal stuff 

the point being at the end of the game there was a foul that  may have been a caution ,didn’t give it as I was about to blow up  game was one .

on the way back to the changing room i was informed I was a shit referee even though the team this person supported had won

i must say I wasn’t overly gracious in my response but  it I doesn’t make me think I can’t wait for the next time 

On 06/11/2022 at 10:10, Postman Pat said:

Was at my sons game years ago, striker runs through and the keepers dad shouts "Break his f*****g leg. Let the dad know in no uncertain terms what I thought after the game ad he was on the other side of the pitch. He apologied to me 

Forgot to mention that the ref did nothing? Not ref bashing just saying 

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

Forgot to mention that the ref did nothing? Not ref bashing just saying 

Tbf what happens off the pitch in terms of supporters / parents ain’t the refs responsibility, you’d like to think the club would get rid of parents like this however hard that is on the child , might make the dad wake up and grow up !! 

Unfortunately, no one is immune from receiving unacceptable levels of abuse due to the society we currently live, but some manager’s, just because he/she is a good player will sign and play them, regardless of behaviour to officials. If the manager gets rid of this player, there’s always another manager who’s willing to sign them on regardless of their known behaviour, and the cycle continues. This begs the question, can a club/manager access  historical disciplinary records of a footballer before deciding to sign them ? Is this information available ?

1 hour ago, Footy Detective said:

In my opinion this game should have been abandoned earlier  , players given very lengthy bans and clubs given eye watering fines . What are other’s thoughts? What does the ref do in a situation like this ? Where does it all end up indeed ? Like this ? 

Mass Brawl

What's a mass brawl between two North Wales rivals got to do with this thread?