EARTHBOUND ELECTRICAL CORNWALL WOMEN’S FOOTBALL LEAGUE - DIVISION TWO

Callington Town 5-0 Ludgvan

Charlestown 0-6 Penryn

Padstow 4-1 Redruth

St Agnes 5-0 Dropship

Wadebridge 2-0 Wendron

• Gary Hocking changed the title to RESULTS SUNDAY 16TH OCTOBER

Saltash United 1 Sticker 4

First was hosting third in the South West Regional Western Division yesterday - it looked like the game of the day on paper and so it proved. 

Saltash opened the scoring early. On 3 mins Jade Bryan picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box and blasted the ball over Sticker’s keeper into the top left hand corner.

For the next half hour it looked like Saltash were going to cruise past Sticker. They were superior in both attack and defence but there’s a resilience to Sticker who even when under the cosh never look beaten.

Their never say die attitude was epitomised by Angelee Robinson who just battled and battled and battled, fighting for every ball, making simple passes to teammates and geeing her team up at every opportunity. And even when Sticker were having less of the ball Tori Marks was consistently getting past Saltash’s left back and putting dangerous balls into the box.

Eventually Sticker’s work rate and Tori Marks’ attacking play paid off. On 38 minutes Tori dribbled round the left back and from the byline cut the ball back towards the penalty spot where it was flicked on to Annie Richards at the far post who tapped it in - 1-1. 

That was the start of a devastating five minute spell for Sticker. On 42 minutes Tori Marks stood over the ball for a free kick 35 yards out - surely too far out to score directly? But no, Tori struck it firmly and sweetly into the top right hand corner to make it 1-2. Sticker have posted this goal on their Twitter account if you want to take a look. 

And just one minute later Sticker had another free kick, this time on the half way line. The ball was played into the box and Tori Marks beat the Saltash defence to the ball and side footed past the keeper to make it 1-3. 

“Normal service” was resumed in the second half with Saltash dominating possession and play again. Saltash had already had a couple of good chances but on 52 minutes the ball broke to Sticker’s Angelee Robinson on the half way line. She spotted Saltash keeper Rachel Cain off her line and chipped her from fully 45 yards to make it 1-4. 

Despite the scoreline Saltash displayed plenty of their own “never say die” attitude and from then on peppered Sticker’s goal. In the final half hour they hit the cross bar twice, had one cleared off the line by the Sticker defence and forced Sticker’s keeper into several excellent saves. 

Eventually as Saltash pushed more and more players forward Sticker began to look dangerous on the break and hit the post themselves on 84 minutes but the score remained 1-4 and as a result Sticker leapfrog Saltash to go top of the table. 

A fantastic advert for Cornish Women’s football from two really good teams who will both finish at the top end of the table this season.

Saltash’s POTM Jade Bryan, overall POTM Sticker’s Angelee Robinson, and a word of praise for ref Jack Borlase too who had an excellent game. 

Very good report Gary, it's a pity there isn't more like them to help bring even more support to the womens game.

Can you answer a query please regarding the ladies game which has raised much surprise in our circle of friends.
We attended the Sticker v Crediton match last Saturday and were amazed to see a Crediton official running the line and shouting / coaching advice to his team as he went.
We queried this with a Sticker supporter at half time and she said that it's nothing new to her, it happened when the ladies team played Saltash Ladies a couple of weeks ago.
Surely this is not within the rules of the game and a referee should see to it that it doesn't happen.
We are NOT casting any doubt on the linesmans decision making in the game that we saw, just his ability to coach from the line when other club coaches are restricted to the dugout and a clearly identified area that they should not leave without the permission of the referee.

That’s the norm at the lower levels of both men’s and women’s football We Two - there simply are not enough qualified officials to supply people to run the line as well as act as ref. Looking at the positives, it’s another case of the great contribution that volunteers make to our game - and of course, it’s the same for both sides. 

Although I’m sure it happens I have to say I’ve never seen a case of bias from a team-supplied lino - if anything, they can sometimes lean in the other direction and give tight calls to the opposition to avoid appearing biased. 

57 minutes ago, We Two said:

Very good report Gary, it's a pity there isn't more like them to help bring even more support to the womens game.

Can you answer a query please regarding the ladies game which has raised much surprise in our circle of friends.
We attended the Sticker v Crediton match last Saturday and were amazed to see a Crediton official running the line and shouting / coaching advice to his team as he went.
We queried this with a Sticker supporter at half time and she said that it's nothing new to her, it happened when the ladies team played Saltash Ladies a couple of weeks ago.
Surely this is not within the rules of the game and a referee should see to it that it doesn't happen.
We are NOT casting any doubt on the linesmans decision making in the game that we saw, just his ability to coach from the line when other club coaches are restricted to the dugout and a clearly identified area that they should not leave without the permission of the referee.

Was it not a Sticker official doing it on Saturday?

Not sure whether you mean Saturday or yesterday BHD? Yesterday Saltash definitely supplied one of the linos in the 1st half - he was on the stand / clubhouse side so was up close to where I was sitting - but the lino on the far side was wearing FA kit so I’m not sure whether he was from Sticker or was independent. In the usual way they swapped positions at half time and in the 2nd half the guy in FA kit was now on my side of the ground. The lino on the far side was a different guy from the person who’d run the line in the 1st half but not sure whether he was from Sticker or whether it was a different person from Saltash. 

For the sake of clarity the question was, is it within the rules of the game for a team to be coached by a person acting as an impartial official.

We have no issue with the linepersons decsions, or the fact that he was a club official.

In essence if he was a neutral spectator plucked from the crowd, is it within the rules for them to coach one of the playing teams whilst running the line ?

Incidentally Crediton were a far better team than the Sticker team on the day, and would have won the game in any case, my question is based on the rules of the game and not its result.

To add some clarity to this thread, I would like, on behalf of Sticker AFC, to confirm that only a ref and one asst was allocated by Cornwall FA.

Looking at Full-time, I believe it was a similar situation at Penzance.

Several avenues were explored to identify a second assistant for the game without any success. When the referee arrived, he was already fully aware of the situation. In his own words, he said that someone, qualified or not, needed to run the line for the game to go ahead. A member of Sticker management stepped up and fulfilled the role enabling the game to be played. He should be applauded in my opinion.

Lastly, the game finished with Crediton comfortable winners, and the referee enjoyed a fine game.

Thank you for the clarification Kevin - hopefully that puts that discussion to bed. 

Might I politely now request that any further posts on this thread from this point on should be in relation to the Women’s games that took place yesterday (as per the the thread title) rather than a men’s game that took place the day before - there’s already a more appropriate place on the Forum for the latter.

Sorry for the confusion Gary my enquiry was intended to apply to the Sticker Ladies v Saltash Ladies game that took place earlier in the season at Sticker and which was referred to by a Sticker lady who like us happened to be at the Crediton match, a point i had not made adequately clear.
I did reference my comment to the ladies game, but somehow that got diverted to my refernce to having attended the Crediton game and having beeen told that coaching from the linesman happened in the ladies match v Saltash and that was where i had intended my comment to apply.
No problem I can live with no answer being available and continue to enjoy the burgeoning talent being shown in the womens game at all levels.