Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Wednesday 12 October 2022

Wendron 2 St Austell 0.

A goal in the first few minutes of each half, in both cases a precision ball behind the defence for Wood to run on to, and in both cases he executed it to perfection. Overall a lot more comfortable for Wendron than the scoreline might suggest - they could easily have had 4 or 5, and St Austell despite having plenty of possession really didn’t create much in the way of chances. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Wednesday 12 October 2022

WADEBRIDGE   0

LISKEARD    3         Gilbert 42’(P) 75’   Thorp 48’

HT   0-1

ATT:  138

4th v 2nd, top 2 in the current form league table, best defensive team in the league with only 7 conceded against the best attacking team in the league scoring 36 having both played 11 games. This was certainly the proverbial game of two halves and completely changed on one big decision just before the break. The Bridgers came absolutely flying out the blocks shutting down Liskeard all over the pitch at pace with the front 3 of Matt Lloyd, Jack Rapsey and Tom Shepherd  quick to pounce on any defender with the ball and Rapsey charging down two clearances from Liskeard keeper Luke Gwillam within the first 3 minutes. This filtered back through the team with the home midfield getting in around the talented Max Gilbert and Jarrad Woods never letting them get on the ball and the hosts were creating several half chances with the best of them seeing Sheppard crossing to Rapsey who shot past the far post when well placed from 15 yards and Morgan Vallejos shot from the edge of the area whizzing low a foot past the post. Dylan Peel made a great flying last ditch header off the line and around the far post just before Rapsey could head in from a yard out. The Bridgers were on top with probably 70/30 possession wise and playing some good football but on 42 minutes the match was about to literally turn on its head.

Dan Jennings got in behind the home defence but as DJ shot over the bar from 8 yards Steve Simmonds looked to have made a superb last ditch block tackle, the type he’s been timing to perfection throughout his illustrious career over the last 20 odd seasons or so, but without too much appealing from the visiting players the referee pointed to the spot! To be fair to him he was in a great position to make the decision but not too many people in the ground including a few knowledgeable football Liskeard guys I know and spoke to at half time thought it was a foul and said they would have been gutted if it went against them. To almost make matters worse Simmo then received a yellow card for the “foul” presumably. Anyway I’m not here to bash another ref and I thought the officials controlled a top of the league match very well overall throughout the 90 minutes but if ever I’ve seen a game change on one decision this was certainly it. Max Gilbert sent Bridgers keeper Rob Rosevear the wrong way from the spot and instead of possibly being a couple goals down at half time the visitors went in 1-0 up!

The stuffing seemed to be knocked out of the hosts as Liskeard started the 2nd half just as Wadebridge had started the 1st. A relentless few minutes of pressure led to the blues doubling their lead when a corner was headed home by Macauley Thorp despite Simmonds best efforts to hook it out with the ball finishing in the roof of the net. It was now Liskeard who were attacking at great pace and home skipper Tom Strike was booked for halting an attack and minutes later Rosevear made a great reflex save from a Jennings header scooping the ball away to his right Dave Seaman style that had already gone past him. Opposing keeper Gwillam was in great form himself at the other end saving headers from Lloyd and Rapsey and palming a dangerous low Lloyd drilled cross from the left away from danger. Two of the best keepers in the league on show tonight in my opinion. Strike saw his 25 yard free kick deflected just wide of a post after 65 minutes but 10 minutes later the game was over when following a slick passage of play from Liskeard on the counter attack down the right Gilbert ran on to hit a great strike into the far corner from 15 yards. Lloyd dive headed wide from a pinpoint Sam Gerken cross in the 82nd minute before Matt Outtram struck a powerful low shot wide of the post at the other end a minute later. Gwillam did well to punch away a couple of testing home crosses as injury time approached but in the end it was title favourites Liskeard who ran out worthy winners with their 2nd half performance but the Bridgers will be wondering how they lost a game they dominated for nearly half of it by 3 goals. Great game of football in the conditions and a good advert for the league between two good footballing sides.

Wadebridge  0  Liskeard 3 

Great report from Rappo as always! He is right that the Bridgers were on top possession wise in the first half, but for all that I don’t recall them fashioning a clear cut chance or working Luke Gwlllam in the visitors goal. The penalty clearly was a turning point and, in my view, was never a spot kick! Bridgers unlucky to be one down at HT

The early Macauley Thorp header from close in so early in the second half make it a mountain to climb for the hosts. It is, I think, fair to say, that from them on the Blues had the better of the game with a neat Gilbert strike 15 minutes from the end adding gloss to the scoreline.

A few days ago, after the St A game in the CSC I tweeted, that I didn’t know if Liskeard were the best SWPL team, but that they were easiest on the eye and the best team  to watch. Well last night they showed resilience, spirit, commitment and organisation. The defence was key and they nullified the quality of the Wadebridge front 3 superbly.

Tonight I think I saw this seasons SWPL West winners!

Would agree with that BSOTT!! Went for them pre season and watched them 4 times now and been impressed every time! Really talented creative midfield, lively going forward and up front and really solid at the back with an excellent keeper. Liskeard to pip Blazey by 6-8 pts for me over the season? 🏆   From a Wadebridge point of view I still think they’re in a good place having played Liskeard home and away, Blazey home and away, Wendron, St.Austell, Callington, Bude. A lot could have gone wrong in those type of games but they’ve come through winning two thirds of their matches with supposedly kinder fixtures to come. Keep half expecting Mullion and Bude to fall away a bit but they’ve done fantastic and the likes of Newquay, St.Austell and Callington to come on stronger than their starts. Bodmin having a run later on wouldn’t surprise me knowing Dane either. Be interested to see peoples top 4/5 predictions now we’ve played a third of the season? Shaping up to be a really competitive season I think? 🤔👏🏼

Their ability going forward and their passing game is well known. I didn’t realise so much how solid and organised at the back they could be. They had to compete and dig in during the first half - and they did it very well. To limit a good Bridger front line to so few opportunities was very impressive.

31 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Their ability going forward and their passing game is well known. I didn’t realise so much how solid and organised at the back they could be. They had to compete and dig in during the first half - and they did it very well. To limit a good Bridger front line to so few opportunities was very impressive.

The imposing figure of Dylan Peel is a very good player at the back for them, and has been for several seasons. Makes me feel old though as I went to school with his Dad, Nick (also a very good player).

I’d agree with Rappo’s match report, the penalty late in the first half was against the run of play, but defensively, very impressed  with how we soaked up 40 minutes of pressure. Then second half, whatever was said at half time, didnt notice the windows rattling, the management team got the best out of every player in the squad.

Well done Blues, and best of luck to Wadebridge for the rest of their season. Looking forward to Rachel’s match pics now Rappo.📸.