Cornwall Football Forum

Now Morwenstow drop out!

18 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Five isn’t it?

Yes I think what Will said as to why the shortage of players had come about plus why they made the decision to drop out made a lot of sense.

The interview is right at the beginning of the latest podcast and so easy to find. It begins at 3 minutes and here’s a link to this week’s podcast :-https://anchor.fm/cornishsoccer/episodes/RAPPO--DEACS-Friday-Fix---October-14--2022-e1p7pld

When I put four I did think is it 5, incredible all the same. Obviously down to the hard work over the years with the youth set up. Well done to Wendron for all the hard graft.

17 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

When I put four I did think is it 5, incredible all the same. Obviously down to the hard work over the years with the youth set up. Well done to Wendron for all the hard graft.

In my usual "high on opinions, low on evidence and facts" earlier post I also forgot that Torpoint run 4 sides on a Saturday.

On 16/10/2022 at 20:30, Postman Pat said:

Remember when I played 70/80's Penryn had 4 men's teams and they were all top of their league.

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

There’s plenty of players around if clubs are struggling they should ask themselves why not blame lack of interest or YOUNGSTERS TODAY  , clubs that thrive will be well run ,those that struggle will be run by poor committees .

penryn used to have 4 sides wendron now have 5 yet are only 2 miles away ( and in the sticks )to me that says 1 clubs doing well !!!!

the others committee or leader  will say we did everything we could !!! 🙄

5 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Can someone tell me please what the youth set up is in Falmouth & Penryn. I know there is a Falmouth Town but are they connected to the parent club. Have Penryn got a youth set up.

There’s Falmouth community and also Falmouth United youth, neither tied to Falmouth town or penryn , although Falmouth United do also run a mens team possibly teams .

19 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Thanks glass hip's a bit strange that neither club has a youth setup. Half expecting Dave Baker to come on and say it's all for grant money.

That is part of the reason though isn't it? The more inclusivity you have the more grants you are eligible to apply for! 

Is the youth the future of the club? Absolutely not. But it's the future of football. 

On 19/10/2022 at 17:41, glass hips said:

There’s Falmouth community and also Falmouth United youth, neither tied to Falmouth town or penryn , although Falmouth United do also run a mens team possibly teams .

Dropship FC also have an Under 7's team that play at Mabe FC - made up of the children of current Club players (so not decimating local teams).

As I've said on here before with facts based on research from my time on the Trelawny League, trends suggest that youth players actually contribute to one of the main groups of players by age.  They then drop off between 21 and 34 and then we see a spike of players beginning to play again at 35+.

My explanation for this is simple. Responsibilities.  We 'come of age' and are able to play open aged football at 16.  We play for a few years with no kids, no mortgage, no career etc and everything got great.  We then get to around 21 years old, we find ourselves working more, saving more money in order to afford that car or that mortgage, we discover alcohol and women... We then get to the age where we have kids and our responsibilities change massively.  The average of new dads (based on a survey of more that 170m birth records) is 30.9 years old - that's where we see the biggest drop in player numbers - in that age category.  As the kids get older and easier to manage, we then see dads or/and those with established careers etc returning to the game.

I've added the data below from what work I have done recently, it's my intention to get the stats from 2017 onwards added soon for registration numbers and age groups etc. I also need to credit @Steve Carpenterwith this as he was the one that started it during his tenture on the Trelawny League.

image.png.b6ee344e990f5c531fefff8e9a6f8082.png

image.thumb.png.42e5c22407f40145b3620a28a21fcf7f.png

image.png.31b958f9f7955c3ca58b46666ef641f3.png image.thumb.png.3acb4051932a763e6a98cc8e2053ad3a.png

image.thumb.png.cd249ec7291ad2110b9a692abd8cc7d9.png

image.png.95ebb22d169e9265d41412e6be3fe79f.png

image.thumb.png.f391b12cf7322cb85fac5d9fdfc11479.png

On 17/10/2022 at 21:55, Kvmccan said:

There are two massive problems that contribute to teams struggling -

1) Dual registrations is something I've constantly bought up as a problem and needs to be looked at. Players don't start one week so either decide to go and play for their 'other team' or get the hump and say sod it, I'm gonna play for someone else. If they could only sign for one Saturday team they'd have to fight for their place or get no football - and I know a lot of players would hate not to be involved in a team on a Saturday so would stay and fight for a place, it's just too easy at the moment to walk off and make themselves available to a team in a different Saturday league. This would also stop ringers being bought in taking the place of regular members of the squad - which also pushes those players out . 

2) Transfers. Players can freely move around teams throughout the season if they aren't in the starting eleven, don't need to try and fight for a place so just join someone else in the league and be playing for their new team in less than two weeks! Why can't we have a rule that a player can't move once registered at start of the season or at least have a transfer window in January so they'd have to try their best for the team they started with for at least 4-5 months - this then may help them improve because they've got to - this would take away the option of just 'giving up'. 

The bigger problem with the current system is its open to abuse by poor managers and coaches at higher levels who can't develop what they've got - I've had an certain 'new' peninsula manager contact two of my players directly, behind my back recently without having the common decency to inform me first - despite this also being in the rules that he he has to contact the club and say he's intending to put in the 7 day approach. This is total disrespect for what I've done with my lads, basically he can't be bothered or isn't good enough to work with with his own players so offers my lads money to go there after I've improved them. One of them he approached he actually had at the start of last season at his previous club and told him he wasn't good enough so the player came to me, has been outstanding improved even more and now the guy who told him he wasn't good enough is offering him money to dump us and play for him! How deluded is this guy? 

Everyone who knows me knows I actively try to help my lads climb the levels and have never stood in anyone's way that want to play higher - quite a few I've coached are now playing Western League - I've even helped them sort terms with their new clubs. I have now spoken to all of my players to let me know if they receive any illegal approaches from anyone (which they have always done anyway) and like this particular 'coach' we will report them and their club to the FA. The best bit is all my lads have said there's no way they'd ever play for him no matter what he offers 😂. I'm very lucky that my players are extremely loyal and always honest with me if they want to test themselves which is why I actively help them achieve that - but there's plenty of players out there that do have their heads turned by cash, which in these present times is something you can't blame them for.

My point is this is happening all over the county - deals are trying to be struck with players behind their managers back then once agreed they put in the approach, this needs to be stamped out - Peninsula and Western League chairmen should ask themselves if a coach isn't good enough to work with what he's got - how the hell did he get appointed in the first place? 

These two points are the main reasons good local clubs are struggling while 'money' clubs get bigger - then the club and manager get slaughtered when they have to pull out through losing players - like Will Bryant who is a top guy and did his absolute best to keep Morwenstow going. 

The FA need to sort these out ASAP before more clubs get decimated by crap peninsula managers who think money is the answer to improve their teams - surely if a player is already at a peninsula club he's good enough, just needs good coaching to help him get even better and not being replaced by a guy who's plays just for money

Fantastic comment. I agree. It seems ‘manage’ means something different to some. It shouldn’t just be turn up pick 11, there’s a job for these chaps to develop squads, bring players on, build an ethos. And maybe I’m just old but common decent in approaches should be there.

2 hours ago, supportcornishfootball said:

Fantastic comment. I agree. It seems ‘manage’ means something different to some. It shouldn’t just be turn up pick 11, there’s a job for these chaps to develop squads, bring players on, build an ethos. And maybe I’m just old but common decent in approaches should be there.

The trouble now in football is you must win,even at youth level. I agree it's better to develop a squad but that is not easy either. For a team to function well throughout the season you need a squad of 20 players. This is fine as long as that 20 don't turn up every week.