Cornwall Football Forum

Throughout history

So over the years we’ve seen leagues change, Players play below the standard they thought they’d ought to be playing etc.

So this one’s for the “Stattos” The vivid football fanatics who’ve followed local football for years, and Like @cornishteddyboyhave kept records etc.

But if you was to pick an XI over the years from the great Mining leagues, and Falmouth helston leagues. 

Who would you choose? Think of who you’ve watched, league winners etc, cup winners or maybe those you’ve played alongside or against? 

Lets have a bit of light hearted fun.

Thanks mate, but not sure I’m that qualified really!? 😀  Only really played Mining/FHL as a kid about 14-16 then I went off and played Combo/SWL from about 17 to 38 and only came back to Trelawny and played until I was about 45 old and crippled!! Some cracking players I met along the way though that were too good for Junior football really but enjoyed playing for a certain manager, club or with their mates? I might hand this one over to Tom I think!! 😀👍

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

And should the choice be restricted to those players that only played Junior football (even though they were good enough to have played higher)?

No that is a valid and good point so can be included. But they have to have played some junior football Dave 

21 hours ago, mitchy07 said:

Gk wacko

Lb beefy 

cb John webb

cb John Salmon 

rb Ian Goodyear 

lm Nicky Adams 

cm Mal Pooley 

cm Alan knight 

Rm Dean Topliss 

cf Carl Papparone

cf Willie James

could probably name another two or three sides  

Agree paps although he didn’t step up to combo he was more than good enough to stay higher and hold his own. Proper hard working player knew how to finish. 

2 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Agree paps although he didn’t step up to combo he was more than good enough to stay higher and hold his own. Proper hard working player knew how to finish. 

Did Paps try a switch to Falmouth town or perranwell, I seem to remember something there?

Before I started playing, I would go to up to watch my brothers play at chacewater. They had some fantastic players over the years. Soccer follower will remember more than me, but all 4 Davis brothers were good in different ways. Graham the best of the bunch. Mike could score from anywhere. Brian a tricky winger and Steve a bit of a nutter at centre half. Barry Bennetts was a cracking keeper not much got past him. 

Colin Bennetts was a goal poacher like Ian Rush. I can't remember the names of some of the others of that era, but there was Louis a very slight chap that danced down the wing and Graham sanders or Saunders who was class. Most of these would regularly be in the mining league rep sides and chacewater were regular cup finalist in the late 70's and 80's. 

Pete then moved on to St Day for a few years where he played with more great players of that era. Dave Searle, Kirwin Prisk and Terry Mitchell were 3 I can think of. Then the lad Gareth Jones in midfield, who hasn't long hung up his boots. 

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

Andros only played the one game from my memory, then left pretty sharpish on a trawler or something!! :P

From what I heard, he was some boy.

He certainly left a mark in cornish football,  15 years later he deserves a mention.

Sometimes I sit back with a cup of tea and wonder what he is doing now.

10 hours ago, Phil said:

Before I started playing, I would go to up to watch my brothers play at chacewater. They had some fantastic players over the years. Soccer follower will remember more than me, but all 4 Davis brothers were good in different ways. Graham the best of the bunch. Mike could score from anywhere. Brian a tricky winger and Steve a bit of a nutter at centre half. Barry Bennetts was a cracking keeper not much got past him. 

Colin Bennetts was a goal poacher like Ian Rush. I can't remember the names of some of the others of that era, but there was Louis a very slight chap that danced down the wing and Graham sanders or Saunders who was class. Most of these would regularly be in the mining league rep sides and chacewater were regular cup finalist in the late 70's and 80's. 

Pete then moved on to St Day for a few years where he played with more great players of that era. Dave Searle, Kirwin Prisk and Terry Mitchell were 3 I can think of. Then the lad Gareth Jones in midfield, who hasn't long hung up his boots. 

Agreed Phil we did have some cracking players/teams at Chacewater back in that era and i was lucky enough to play with them.Four Davis brothers and three Bennetts brothers in those days! Lewis Hocking was the slippery winger that you were trying to recall Phil.

I've thought long and hard about the best Mining/Trelawney teams and there are so many good players who have excelled over the years....Hard decision.

There must be others who could post their thoughts? 

I thought I'd go down the route of those I've played with and against.My formations are 4-4-2 as it's easier to fit people in that way,apologies for any misspelling.So here goes :-

Former Team Mates :  GK : Neil  Hughes  (Trelander),LB : Andy Mitchell (Trelander), RB : Steve Howson (TMS), CD:  Kevin Fava (Trelander), CD: Ian Jay (TMS).LW : Richie Price (Frogpool-Cusgarne),RW :  ' Boysie ' Symons (Trelander),CM : Jason Dawes (Trelander),CM : Gerard Wilkes (Trispen). ST: Elliott Jolly (TMS),ST : Nigel Martyn (Frogpool-Cusgarne).

Manager ; Peter Dawes(Trelander)

Apologies to the following who were team-mates in friendlies,(as we all know they don't count): Paul Maudling (Old Quay),Wayne Hughes (City Inn),Nigel Jewell (Chacewater) and Mark Rapsey.

Former Opponents :   GK : Kevin Bennetts (Chacewater),LB : Wayne Trewhela (FC Truro),RB : Chris Pearce (Truro GWRSA), CD : Robbie Danks (Halsetown),CD : John Webster(Carharrack).LW : Darren Lewarne (Redruth Utd),RW : Mike Cudlipp (Falmouth Ath),CM : Ronnie Barr (Rosudgeon- Kenneggy),CM : Graham Davis (Chacewater).ST : Spencer Knibb (Chacewater), ST : Brett Adams (Spice of Life).

Manager ; Roger  Terrill  (Redruth Dynamos,Roskear Rangers,Redruth Rangers,Spice of Life &  Chacewater - literally won so many leagues he must've lost count !)

As Mitchy07  has rightly said could probably name another couple of teams but I'm going to do something a little different and name my top 3 referees,not in order so as not to disappoint anyone !

Alan Barnes/Nigel Jewell/Nigel Nicholls - all have one thing in common,having previously played the game they reffed it whilst wearing the ex-player hat as well which led to .........good understanding,excellent decisions.

' Up The Town '

On 06/10/2022 at 20:00, winston said:

Did Paps try a switch to Falmouth town or perranwell, I seem to remember something there?

Paps had 2 seasons at Perranwell combination. Held his own with goals scored but struggled against the more physical sides like St.Just etc....although I would always be looking out for my teammates 😉💥

On 07/10/2022 at 07:37, Soccer Follower said:

Agreed Phil we did have some cracking players/teams at Chacewater back in that era and i was lucky enough to play with them.Four Davis brothers and three Bennetts brothers in those days! Lewis Hocking was the slippery winger that you were trying to recall Phil.

I've thought long and hard about the best Mining/Trelawney teams and there are so many good players who have excelled over the years....Hard decision.

There must be others who could post their thoughts? 

Around that time too, was defender Graham Jeffrey, Kevin Murray, he was a good little striker and 2 midfielders Paul Willcox, and Paul May. All very good players. My bothers John and Pete made up that team of the late 70's early 80's. 

Can you remember any others from that time Nigel and who was the manager? Was it Kenny Moyle or was he later? 

On 08/10/2022 at 21:48, Phil said:

Around that time too, was defender Graham Jeffrey, Kevin Murray, he was a good little striker and 2 midfielders Paul Willcox, and Paul May. All very good players. My bothers John and Pete made up that team of the late 70's early 80's. 

Can you remember any others from that time Nigel and who was the manager? Was it Kenny Moyle or was he later? 

It was indeed the great Ken Moyle assisted by Don Smith.Agree trhat Kevin was a good striker,very quick.

The memory clouds after all these years but Phil Symons,Tony Manuell,Treve James,Keith Moore,Julian Baldock,Paul Allen were of that era before moving onto the times of Guy Johnson,the Day Brothers,Kevin Dabb (apologies if i missed anyone,there are so many!).

Most of the players grew up in the village ie 3 Pascoe brothers,4 Davis brothers,4 Hitchens brothers (later on),Manuell brothers,Dabb brothers,3 Bennetts brothers,fantastic from a small village and in some cases fathers played earlier.

Too difficult to narrow down a team. Got to mention buckley brothers, paps, Kim doe. Others like john salmon, nick mills, Darren lewarne, guy Johnson, Kerwin prisk, Dave searle, Tony mitchell, stuart reynolds, wacko along with so many others. Good teams including chacewater, Truro railway and gulval.

20 hours ago, Glen Patterson said:

Surprised that you are the only person mentioning Keir Dent, the boy had the lot. Could have gone right to the top of he hadn't been so loyal. 

Isn't on par with the likes of Paparone etc. I'm talking players who were consistent week in/week out.