Cornwall Football Forum

Midweek SWPL & Senior Cup First Round RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday 4th & 5th October 2022

• Dave Deacon changed the title to Midweek SWPL & Senior Cup First Round RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday 4th & 5th October 2022

Dobwalls 0 St Blazey 4

After losing to Dobwalls on Friday in the league St Blazey were obviously fired up for this cup game and came out determined. Dobwalls took the opportunity to play a few of their younger players and the game was only 10 minutes old when Vooght scored for St Blazey with a good snap shot that beat stand in keeper Stidson.  15 minutes gone and Eddy scores number two for St Blazey. Cloke then on 27 minutes gets number three and effectively game is over. 42 mins and Smale gets the fourth to give   St Blazey a 4 nil half time lead. Second half saw scoring chances for both sides but no more goals for the game to finish 4 nil to St Blazey. Best team won but good to see the youngsters turning out for Dobwalls and St Blazey also introducing some young subs late in the game. 

Edited by Graham Deacon
Stutter

2 minutes ago, Graham Deacon said:

Dobwalls 0 St Blazey 4

After losing to Dobwalls on Friday in the league St Blazey were obviously fired up for this cup game and came out determined. Dobwalls took the opportunity to play a few of their younger players and the game was only 10 minutes old when Vooght scored for St Blazey with a good snap shot that beat stand in keeper Stidson.  15 minutes gone and Eddy scores number two for St Blazey. Cloke then on 27 minutes gets number three and effectively game is over. 42 mins and Smale gets the fourth to give   St Blazey a 4 nil half time lead. Second half saw scoring chances for both sides but no more goals for the game to finish 4 nil to St Blazey. Best team won but good to see the youngsters turning out for Dobwalls and St Blazey also introducing some young subs late in the game. 

Dobwalls 0 St Blazey 4

Dobwalls 0 St Blazey 4

3 very good reports !!

MQx

8 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Torpoint must be sick to back teeth of playing helston . 

If all teams where like Helston and clean their away changing rooms after the match then no, they have done this for every time they visited this season, thank you and well done to Helston and their chairman Paul Hendy in particular!

STICKER   1-2   NEWQUAY  (AET)

Apologies, I only watched from half time after deciding to see out the Celtic champions league match.  The teams were tied 1-1 at half time so can’t tell you anything about that 1st half I’m afraid although by all accounts my old mate Danny OHagan scored the Sticker goal at 46 years young!! I was lucky enough to have a season with “the beast” Alec Sammy Leonce and he was just unplayable in the air lucky for me but has there been a better target man in Cornish football over the last 20 odd seasons or so than DannyO? Don’t think so! And he was still flicking stuff on and holding things up tonight even with his bad back, class player and bloke. 👏🏼️ 

Had a quick chat to Jack Bowyer when I got there at half time as he was warming up to come on, another powerful striker and Jack almost made an instant impact in the 48th minute just shooting over the bar after working an opening. Apologies for lack of names as I must admit I was sitting in my car listening to the champions league on the radio hearing PSG wreck my Acca!! All that firepower!!! 😧 a NQ shot from the right hit the top of the bar in the 59th minute, and 3 minutes later Phil Lowry I think? turned and hit a shot towards the top corner which was palmed away by the home keeper. NQ still attacking but were offside quite a bit until Jake Shaws expertly timed run saw him get free down the right but he shot past the far post on 71 minutes. The visitors were forcing a few corners and then the cultured peg of Cam Turner almost chipped into the top corner but the alert keeper was sharp to tip it over the bar. 

Sticker thought they had won it in the 87th minute bundling the ball home from a corner but the referee was quick to call a foul on Newquays talented young keeper Harry Salmon, son of Matt who graced some top sides in Cornish football for many seasons, what a great bloke too as all us Truronian clan well know. So extra time it was with Sticker making a mockery of their lowly league position battling for everything and matching the Peppermints who were playing the more cultured football with Tom Whipp catching the eye strolling out of defence and playing some quality balls into feet. In the 98th minute Bowyer got on the end of a OHagan flick on to strike a powerful shot just wide taking a deflection on the way and NQ headed off the line from the resulting corner. Bradley Leivers was getting a lot of the ball down NQs left hand side with his powerful runs but it was from the right that a NQ attacker looking well offside near the halfway line broke clear before running on to strike the post. Whipp was sent to the sin bin for comments to the referee in the 112th minute meaning NQ were effectively down to 10 men for the remainder. 

It was Stickers turn to launch an attack and NQ had young Salmon to thank with a fine reflex save with his feet in 116th minute as 3 minutes later a NQ attack ended with the striker being clipped from behind much to the annoyance of the Sticker bench, must admit it looked slightly soft but the ref was in a great position to give it if he thought there was contact. I was reaching in my bag looking for my pear drops with one hand and checking the PSG score on my phone with the other when I realised it was Turner placing the ball for the free kick so no time to record it, wish I did as he followed up his two free kicks at Mullion at the weekend with another superb strike into the top corner in the 119th minute just as we were all looking forward to the penalty shoot out!! Seen Cam do this several times over the years watching him play with and against my lad in the same age group, not sure there is a better free kick taker in the whole of Cornish football with his technique. Cue massive celebrations near the Sticker dug out which must have been a kick in the teeth after the 2 hours hard graft they put into the game, the Cornwall Senior Cup at its best!! 🏆👍️ Well done to NQ who go into the hat and unlucky to Sticker who if they carry on like that will soon be picking up plenty of points in the league I’m sure. Good game, good game as old Brucie would say!! 👍👏🏼

It was a very good game and great watch for the neutral Rappo, thanks for the report. Sticker will feel very unlucky tonight having the ball in the net when the keeper dropped a cross. Lucky keeper and Newquay, bailed out by the ref when ET and Turner's great strike should never have happened. He took a lot of stick from the Newquay dug out throughout the game, but it should have been Sticker with the winning goal !

On 04/10/2022 at 12:12, cornish leg end said:

Maybe they need to start acting like a local club and go back to using local players 

Local Players are not good enough from the area, that's been proven. They'll get beat double figures every week and then be back to square one as players will soon give up and go and play local Duchy, ECPL & St Piran Football.

Hierarchy at the club just needs to get all their ducks in a row.

29 minutes ago, teflon123 said:

Local Players are not good enough from the area, that's been proven. They'll get beat double figures every week and then be back to square one as players will soon give up and go and play local Duchy, ECPL & St Piran Football.

Hierarchy at the club just needs to get all their ducks in a row.

I disagree plenty of sides local have been very strong if callington wanted to show ambition and trust in locals surely these players would step up a league to play. Gunni, st Dom good footballing sides 

8 hours ago, Graham Deacon said:

Dobwalls took the opportunity to play a few of their younger players

Seems like an odd juxtaposition within this thread. Callington get a kicking for not respecting the Senior Cup and withdrawing from the competition, and Dobwalls get a free ride for choosing not to put out a strong side for their tie. Yes, they fulfilled the fixture, but essentially they chose to get knocked out of Cornwall's premier cup competition early.

I overheard a young Dobwalls fan at half time mocking St Blazey for getting fired up for a game that didn't matter, but not being good enough to win the previous tie in the league.

Blazey for their part clearly value the Senior Cup and played a close to full strength side, missing players to injury, childcare and the London Marathon.

Dobwalls have a number of talented youngsters who were given a chance to gain experience against a strong St Blazey team.

I am not sure it was a case of not respecting the Senior Cup which neither side is likely to win?

But maybe the management are looking to build for the future by bringing through these young players?

If they are not getting a game at Dobwalls they will go elsewhere which will mean that the same tried and tested players will still be playing when they are past their sell by date.

Well done to Ben and his team

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

Dobwalls have a number of talented youngsters who were given a chance to gain experience against a strong St Blazey team.

I am not sure it was a case of not respecting the Senior Cup which neither side is likely to win?

But maybe the management are looking to build for the future by bringing through these young players?

If they are not getting a game at Dobwalls they will go elsewhere which will mean that the same tried and tested players will still be playing when they are past their sell by date.

Well done to Ben and his team

Difficult one. After hearing Ben Washam speak on the podcast, was very impressed by the way he spoke, what he's trying to achieve at Dobwalls and the obstacles they face. Believe that several of these young players are from the very good group of under 18's that Plymouth Parkway have (think he's close to their boss, Adam Castlehouse).

Regarding the issue of resting/rotating players in favour of the league. Dobwalls would have to suffer a major collapse if they were to end up in the drop zone (more likely they would end up in the top 4 slots), and it is only a 32 game Peninsula League season. Not exactly fixture over load. Would think that they would want a decent Senior Cup run to keep the season as competitive as possible and build their profile. Good to see Blazey giving it a real go on all fronts though. As one of Cornwall's biggest and most successful clubs, they should be competing for silverware very season. And, realistically, there are only 3 competitions that give them a chance to do this.

Liskeard 6 St Austell 1

This isn’t a match report like the ones I normally do, but more a reflection on the cup tie last night.

When the Blues play well they are a joy to watch. Last night was one of those nights! That said, they are quite adept at mixing things up and prudently going long when appropriate. Whatever the SWPL table says I think they are the best side in the league and certainly easiest on the eye. 

St Austell contributed much to the game too - far more than the FT score suggests! A good passing side who created a fair few chances themselves. I think the soft second goal - from a keeper slip / error - was a turning point. It was strange to see such a top line keeper in Chapman have an off night.

I hope St A keep faith with Smith as manager. They play a nice brand of football instantly preferable to the ‘dogs of war’ approach of say Cally or Dobwalls. No disrespect intended, but I prefer thoughtful pass and move football.

First half more evidently so, the St A defence was repeatedly undone by simple diagonal balls into space. Basic defending not done by the Whites! It must have been a hair pulling out night for the visiting boss!

It was nice too that the gateman seeing me park my moped across the road beckoned me to bring it through the gate and for it to be safer. Much appreciated! 

Overall a splendid  advert for Cornish Football and the SWPL.

12 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Liskeard 6 St Austell 1

This isn’t a match report like the ones I normally do, but more a reflection on the cup tie last night.

When the Blues play well they are a joy to watch. Last night was one of those nights! That said, they are quite adept at mixing things up and prudently going long when appropriate. Whatever the SWPL table says I think they are the best side in the league and certainly easiest on the eye. 

St Austell contributed much to the game too - far more than the FT score suggests! A good passing side who created a fair few chances themselves. I think the soft second goal - from a keeper slip / error - was a turning point. It was strange to see such a top line keeper in Chapman have an off night.

I hope St A keep faith with Smith as manager. They play a nice brand of football instantly preferable to the ‘dogs of war’ approach of say Cally or Dobwalls. No disrespect intended, but I prefer thoughtful pass and move football.

First half more evidently so, the St A defence was repeatedly undone by simple diagonal balls into space. Basic defending not done by the Whites! It must have been a hair pulling out night for the visiting boss!

It was nice too that the gateman seeing me park my moped across the road beckoned me to bring it through the gate and for it to be safer. Much appreciated! 

Overall a splendid  advert for Cornish Football and the SWPL.

I would say that is a fair report apart from the fact that Chapman was not in goal last night.