Cornwall Football Forum

Midweek SWPL & Senior Cup First Round RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday 4th & 5th October 2022

Tuesday 4 October 2022

Millbrook         7-1        Camelford

Wednesday 5 October 2022

EAST

Brixham            2-0      Ivybridge Town

Holsworthy            2-1    Torrington

CORNWALL SENIOR CUP,

First Round

Dobwalls                0-4      St Blazey

Falmouth Town     2-1    Bude Town

Liskeard Athletic   6-1       AFC St Austell

Mousehole            H/W     Callington Town

Sticker                  1-2       Newquay (aet, 1-1 at 90mins)

Torpoint Athletic   1-1        Helston Athletic (aet, 1-1 at 90 with Helston winning 4-2 on pens)

Callington have taken the decision to withdraw from the COu ty Cup. Most of our player are up at 6 or 7 full days graft on site. Then to drive to Mousehole for 745 ko back home after midnight then up at 6 or 7 for another days graft on site. This is not in the best interest of our players. 

I will not be commenting further.

Steve Blatchford

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

20 minutes ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Callington have taken the decision to withdraw from the COu ty Cup. Most of our player are up at 6 or 7 full days graft on site. Then to drive to Mousehole for 745 ko back home after midnight then up at 6 or 7 for another days graft on site. This is not in the best interest of our players. 

Steve Blatchford

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

Pathetic from you and your club 

44 minutes ago, teflon123 said:

What would have happened if hypothetically speaking they had Penzance in the league on a Wednesday night??

Would they use the same excuse??

Could the second team they have help out??

Really disappointing from the clubs point of view.

I do not think the second team have much to do with first team , and how many of you would work all day then drive couple hours to get maybe 20quid for playing ,then drive home, not many ! can't blame them really, *but* shouldn't of entered in the first place  if they did not want to travel !... can't see them going in higher leagues anytime soon..

1 hour ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Steve Blatchford

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

Is that really a comment from the chairman ? Days graft ?  What do you think players all over the locals league do the next day. Really poor from a senior club.  What will the club do if it ever gets promoted cancel every away game because a few players have to Graft ???

1 hour ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Steve Blatchford

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

Embarrassing. Complaining of a late night!!!!

this is what football is about 

2 hours ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Steve Blatchford

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

Bet the players don't complain when going out for a few midweek bevvies and getting back at the same time. Poor excuse. 

2 hours ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Steve Blatchford

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

What a pathetic excuse. You & your management should be utterly embarrassed with that excuse, Sunday league stuff 🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Steve Blatchford

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

So you’ll only play CSC games if you are at home or have a fairly local away fixture? Pitiful.

If you want local games try Step 7 or lower perhaps?

Compare Cally to the attitude of the St Dennis boys last season. Torrid time, but every fixture fulfilled. 

Think most of the Cally players more interested in their local club Argyle than your club. Shaun Vincent often has plenty to say, so wonder what he has to say now?  Lots of players registered yet can’t take a squad to a big cup tie!

Why am I so cross as a neutral? -easy. I think the CSC is a great cup competition!

5 hours ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

Steve Blatchford

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

Some people may be thinking you just as well have written “We got a really tough away draw so we don’t fancy it”

3 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

Absolutely embarrassing makes a mockery out of every team in the county. Biggest trophy to play in and they can’t be bothered to travel. And as for the chairman he needs to step down now leaders start from the top that is poor poor leadership! 
embarrassed for you. 

What about a manager who cannot encourage or motivate a squad to turn up for a  big cup tie. Chairman rightly getting pelters, but he doesn’t sign players with such limited commitment.

1 hour ago, Hetty said:

Time to boycott callingtons home games 

The town of callington have already done that lol, the games I have been there  has been only a handful of callington folk if any ,I didn't go this Saturday but was told  it was a very small attendance made up by sticker fans..

8 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

What about a manager who cannot encourage or motivate a squad to turn up for a  big cup tie. Chairman rightly getting pelters, but he doesn’t sign players with such limited commitment.

Disagree alot of the time it’s people away from the manager signing players prime example st blazey in the summer. 
they should be punished for this. 

Think it’s compulsory that the teams enter the CSC, and who wouldn’t? Great competition over the years, maybe not taken as seriously as in previous decades but still a nice trophy for any club to get their name on. Makes perfect sense what Steve is saying but I think if you play at SWPL standard you know it comes with some travelling involved! The fixture has been out for a while now, maybe forward plan and get a day or a half day off on the day or the following morning? I know everyone can’t do this and the last thing you want to do is go down to a team like Mousehole with half a side but i think everyone would have had a lot more respect for the club if they fulfilled the fixture regardless. Deacs interviewed Rocky Neal on last weeks podcast and Rocky was saying he worked 8-2 on a building site, caught the coach at 3pm for an away midweek match, got home at 2am and was up at 7am to work an 8-5 the next day! I know Rocky plays at a lot higher level and is contracted but I think that shows the level of commitment needed if you want to play semi pro football at steps 1-6. Comes down to the individual player I guess but seems attitudes have changed somewhat in the modern era! Perhaps we just didn’t have as much to do in my day and looked forward to such a match rather than resenting it? 😔

There must be dozens of ex players like myself who were only good enough to play Duchy / ECPL / P & D football that would have walked to Mousehole to play in the Senior Cup under lights.

Yes they've got to work the next day but these are young men in the prime of their lives - They'll never be fitter

Obviously they can't be arsed to travel all that way for what ( probably ) will be a defeat and that's a pretty poor show from players at that level

For the Chairman to come on here and defend them - Well what can you say 

1 hour ago, cornish leg end said:

Disagree alot of the time it’s people away from the manager signing players prime example st blazey in the summer. 
they should be punished for this. 

Could it be that for a side with so many Plymouth based players a CSC game does not have the same allure for them? -  especially with a long coach trip and likely hammering to follow!

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Could it be that for a side with so many Plymouth based players a CSC game does not have the same allure for them? -  especially with a long coach trip and likely hammering to follow!

Know they always used to be on Saturdays, but certainly remember Plymouth based players getting very fired up for Cornwall Senior Cup games. Especially when it was Western League Liskeard, Saltash and Falmouth coming to town for games against SWL sides.

I'm not a big fan of the new format, but thought that the presence of Western League clubs would add a bit of spice to the competition. Could have been a chance for Peninsula League Cally to catch Mousehole with their guard down.

13 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

When the county fa revamped the cup competitions was it not because of pressure from above about postponed games and said the senior Cup would have to be played midweek under lights. And this was the reason of the intermediate cup. because not all St. Pirans teams did not all have floodlights

Think NLS dictates ‘County’ Cup type competitions have to be midweek. The pressure became greater when clubs stepped up to the WL. Cornwall FA held out as long as possible. 

Previously it was a showpiece Easter Mon game. A stand-alone fixture with attendances being good because of this. Now it clashes with WL games on the same day.

‘Progress’ eh?

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Who said they were going to get a hammering? It’s a cup game after all. 
mad a club they should hold responsibility for this and signing Plymouth based players then. Senior cup is the biggest games in Cornwall if you can’t get up for playing in that then what’s the point of paying the fee to enter. They need to be hit hard for this 

2 minutes ago, Buckland Jim said:

How is that a deterrent? Should be at least £500 and excluded for the following season. 

Agree exactly breaking there bank are they players get paid more than that there 

2 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

Who said they were going to get a hammering? It’s a cup game after all. 
mad a club they should hold responsibility for this and signing Plymouth based players then. Senior cup is the biggest games in Cornwall if you can’t get up for playing in that then what’s the point of paying the fee to enter. They need to be hit hard for this 

I said **likely** hammering. Not a given. That is why we particularly like cup football.  

16 hours ago, tamar.man said:

I do not think the second team have much to do with first team , and how many of you would work all day then drive couple hours to get maybe 20quid for playing ,then drive home, not many ! can't blame them really, *but* shouldn't of entered in the first place  if they did not want to travel !... can't see them going in higher leagues anytime soon..

Funny enough I don't think they (2nds) raised a team for their Intermediate Cup last week ....

Maybe the club is just against the county cups..🧐

2 minutes ago, S Abbo said:

Funny enough I don't think they (2nds) raised a team for their Intermediate Cup last week ....

Maybe the club is just against the county cups..🧐

Although they did manage to travel to Hayle on Saturday for their League Cup game - and got walloped 8-0! 

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

Although they did manage to travel to Hayle on Saturday for their League Cup game - and got walloped 8-0! 

St Dennis had some tough results last year but completed every game - earns respect from me.

Not an easy season at Lanson so far, but would be hugely disappointed if a fixture wasn’t fulfilled.

Despite trenchant criticism of Cally I hope things turn around there as it’s a local club to me and I don’t like seeing them in dire straits!

28 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

St Dennis had some tough results last year but completed every game - earns respect from me.

Not an easy season at Lanson so far, but would be hugely disappointed if a fixture wasn’t fulfilled.

Despite trenchant criticism of Cally I hope things turn around there as it’s a local club to me and I don’t like seeing them in dire straits!

Maybe they need to start acting like a local club and go back to using local players 

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Think NLS dictates ‘County’ Cup type competitions have to be midweek. The pressure became greater when clubs stepped up to the WL. Cornwall FA held out as long as possible. 

Previously it was a showpiece Easter Mon game. A stand-alone fixture with attendances being good because of this. Now it clashes with WL games on the same day.

‘Progress’ eh?

Even as far back as the early nineties, I remember Western League clubs sometimes referring to CSC games being played on Saturdays as being a bit of a nuisance. Especially if it went to a replay, and then had to be played the following Saturday. Pretty sure that there were rules in place stating that no matches could be played under floodlights (this was at a time when even major clubs such as St Austell, Torpoint and Porthleven didn't have them).

The Easter Monday showpiece final was a highlight of the football season. Junior Cup Final beforehand (often played in front of large and vocal crowds from the participating sides), and then onto the main course of the Senior Cup Final.

1 hour ago, cornish leg end said:

Maybe they need to start acting like a local club and go back to using local players 

Do not think that will happen anytime soon after last season when Matt Hayden was in charge at the start,told all the players at the club they were not needed or wanted by WhatsApp, and they all left ,they burnt their bridges then, and that's why teams like st Dominic and gunnislake are doing so well, I go watch these more than callington now..

1 hour ago, tamar.man said:

Do not think that will happen anytime soon after last season when Matt Hayden was in charge at the start,told all the players at the club they were not needed or wanted by WhatsApp, and they all left ,they burnt their bridges then, and that's why teams like st Dominic and gunnislake are doing so well, I go watch these more than callington now..

Right on every point! How many of earlier committee still in place? How do they condone the way the club is being presented ATM. 

The ‘crowd’ seems largely a few Plymouth lads on the drink for the afternoon- so not so nice. Maybe I’m being too prudish here? Worse still, a poorly disciplined team with an over physical - sometimes brutal approach. 

A real shame as the people behind the bar and the 50/50 seller all welcoming folks.  The decking area offers a good view of the game too. 

For the good of senior football in the wider Tamar Valley area I hope Cally have better times ahead!

Tamar Man - I really must get along to Altarnun & Gunnislake this season. Saw the latter play some tidy football v Lanson Res at Pennygillam very recently!

3 hours ago, tamar.man said:

No time like the present to make the effort to sort last years troubles out. Matts not there anymore 

15 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Tamar Man - I really must get along to Altarnun & Gunnislake this season. Saw the latter play some tidy football v Lanson Res at Pennygillam very recently!

Altarnun. Gunnislake as well as St Dominic are all worth a watch if you do want to catch some local football with local players.

Standard isn't too far off SWPL, plenty of their players have been at Callington at some point. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to Midweek SWPL & Senior Cup First Round RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday 4th & 5th October 2022
  • Dave Deacon unpinned this topic