Cornwall Football Forum

CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP 2022-23 - Semi final updates

9 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Plus expenses as well. 

It probably works out at around £10 an hour. Reffing the game and then the write up afterwards. 

So under the national minimum wage Fantastic. 

9 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Plus expenses as well. 

It probably works out at around £10 an hour. Reffing the game and then the write up afterwards. 

4 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

Well, currently the national minimum wage is £9.50 an hour. Most employees will have 20% tax taken off this as well! 

No one is forcing a referee to do the job. The majority do it because they enjoy it, then picking up a bit of cash for doing something they enjoy is alright isn't it? 

Funnily enough the better referees are the ones who do it with a smile on their face and interact with  players on a decent level rather then dictating. 

5 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Well, currently the national minimum wage is £9.50 an hour. Most employees will have 20% tax taken off this as well! 

No one is forcing a referee to do the job. The majority do it because they enjoy it, then picking up a bit of cash for doing something they enjoy is alright isn't it? 

Funnily enough the better referees are the ones who do it with a smile on their face and interact with  players on a decent level rather then dictating. 

I was 50p out I wouldn't do it for that and as dave says it's not just turn up and ref a game they also have the travel included in that £30 their kit and equipment their own refreshments etc and then he said about training events so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually lose money at the end of the season and all that is whilst not spending time with friends or family or not working their usual job 

7 minutes ago, St Darren said:

This is the point. Most aren’t enjoying it, because they get abuse during the game (which yes they can deal with but still doesn’t make it pleasant or enjoyable) and then this continues afterwards. 

Saying the have a choose is just brushing the issue under the carpet.

Just now, BrummyBarry said:

I was 50p out I wouldn't do it for that and as dave says it's not just turn up and ref a game they also have the travel included in that £30 their kit and equipment their own refreshments etc and then he said about training events so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually lose money at the end of the season and all that is whilst not spending time with friends or family or not working their usual job 

Apologies, I thought it was £30 fee plus mileage. 

As I said, they choose to do it, not forced. 

1 minute ago, bighairydave said:

This is the point. Most aren’t enjoying it, because they get abuse during the game (which yes they can deal with but still doesn’t make it pleasant or enjoyable) and then this continues afterwards. 

Saying the have a choose is just brushing the issue under the carpet.

Don't do it then.  No one is forcing a referee to ref. 

Critism is something that will happen.  As I've said before though, 'abuse' is something I don't condone. 

Just now, bighairydave said:

So because they choose we can abuse them as much as we want?

Sorry, did I say that?? 

Criticism is different than abuse. 

I think this needs a line drawn under it and I think the way to do that is to say if referees are continually being criticized on here at such a critical time for how many we have we are just going to alienate them and lose so many more. It's not hard to keep opinions to ourselves if we haven't got anything positive to say and as dave has said there is a report procedure in place. As a spectator I often think what the hell when a ref makes a mess of a situation but then I remember that this is the bottom of the pile in terms of standard of football.they have to start somewhere and they will make mistakes but I've never seen a ref make more mistakes than strikers goalies and defenders 

42 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Some of these comments are a joke! Pick up the whistle yourselves if you’re so good and know every single law!

and before anyone says it, yes I have tried it myself. Gave it up cos it wasn’t worth the time, money or abuse! Only role in football more difficult than managing is being a referee. And I’ve done both. 

I hope too eventually having played many years, I hope that I can continue to contribute once I have the time. 

I think my points are being misconstrued. I don’t think abuse or being ridiculed is acceptable at any point. 

What I’m saying is, we have a point system to use, if we really think the decisions are that poor. 
My main objective was I can see why some officials do get a hard time because of how they come across or treat players… 

But sadly we can’t ever cut out criticism of any shape or form. 

15 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Thats very well put Peggy and Im led to believe that your league is one that is affected alot by the shortage do you think that the criticism these junior  amateur brand new referees is contributing to it

There have been cases already this season of new referees (with their training funded by the Leagues across Cornwall) ceasing to continue just a few matches into their career. So the answer is clearly yes. However it is not limited to new referees.

Every season, there are more refs leaving the game than coming in to it. That is despite the enormous efforts of several Leagues, the FA and the Referees officials to try and recruit more officials. Trelawny is affected probably more so than others as the lowest ranked League in West Cornwall, so other Leagues take precedence. However I don't feel this is an issue affecting our League, more one that is hurting all Grassroots football in the county and beyond. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP 2022-23 - Saturday 26 November 2022
On 21/11/2022 at 21:26, St Darren said:

Just stating a fact that a referee gets paid for doing the job.  Some referees can make a decent bit of money, Saturday, Sunday, midweek, 6 aside leagues. 

Imagine bringing tax into grassroots football officiating.

What's next, you gonna ask for audits and levies on the scratchcard in the pint glass after the game? 😅🤦‍♂️

• Dave Deacon changed the title to CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP 2022-23 - Saturday 3 December 2022
4 hours ago, winston said:

I've seen way to many referees on a power trip not letting you talk to them at all. Preferring to book players for dissent and not worrying about dangerous tackles. unpaid amateur Players can get criticised then so can referees who get a bit of money. 

Wow!

1. Your 'perceived' power trip might just be 1 person trying to control 22 players and prevent a game escalating out of control. Maybe some refs don't let players talk to them because they have had a few insults hurled at them from either 50yds or in their face and treat confrontation with the same manner of respect that is being afforded to them and the only way to communicate is to be direct?

2. When do you ever see players on this forum get criticised to the level that is directed at officials on here? I would love to see an honest match report although these days (stand fast @Asterix) they are few and far between where players from teams who have had not one of their better games are singled out by the author and criticised on their performance, maybe to the level of forensic analysis that is afforded to officials. it would undoubtedly make interesting reading. Imagine every match report where players who were not good enough in defence or blamed for a goal or foul that led to a penalty etc were chastised, would be absolute indignation and confrontation in the changing rooms within weeks! :)

On 27/11/2022 at 14:46, Pitty said:

Wow!

1. Your 'perceived' power trip might just be 1 person trying to control 22 players and prevent a game escalating out of control. Maybe some refs don't let players talk to them because they have had a few insults hurled at them from either 50yds or in their face and treat confrontation with the same manner of respect that is being afforded to them and the only way to communicate is to be direct?

2. When do you ever see players on this forum get criticised to the level that is directed at officials on here? I would love to see an honest match report although these days (stand fast @Asterix) they are few and far between where players from teams who have had not one of their better games are singled out by the author and criticised on their performance, maybe to the level of forensic analysis that is afforded to officials. it would undoubtedly make interesting reading. Imagine every match report where players who were not good enough in defence or blamed for a goal or foul that led to a penalty etc were chastised, would be absolute indignation and confrontation in the changing rooms within weeks! :)

I don’t know how I am supposed to take that @Pitty lol 😂 wether my match reports aren’t honest enough? Or they’re good? Haha 😂 

I think personally as said before it’s a horrid task to try and be the perfect referee, I think it’s always a burden! I think as players we’ve all had our grievances 😂 with referees, you too Pitty 🤔😉 😂 

On 01/12/2022 at 10:41, Asterix said:

I don’t know how I am supposed to take that @Pitty lol 😂 wether my match reports aren’t honest enough? Or they’re good? Haha 😂 

I think personally as said before it’s a horrid task to try and be the perfect referee, I think it’s always a burden! I think as players we’ve all had our grievances 😂 with referees, you too Pitty 🤔😉 😂 

It was a compliment that you do them because not many apart from you and @RAPPO take the time to do them! A lot of sides can't even be arsed to post the result!

I have had to dial back my sarcastic tongue in cheek ones because a) I'm away and b) i would be sent to the naughty step :)

• Dave Deacon changed the title to CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP 2022-23 - Saturday 14 January 2023
  • Dave Deacon unpinned this topic

Troon 2-0 Grampound

Grampound were far from their best in the first half and Troon deservedly went in at the break at 2-0.

We were better second half and missed 2 or 3 reasonably good chances to get back in the game but over 90 minutes the home side deserved their win.

It's been interesting playing teams at the top of both the Duchy Premier and Trelawny Premier leagues in 2 of our 3 cup games this season, beating one and losing today.

4 minutes ago, AJW said:

Troon 2-0 Grampound

Grampound were far from their best in the first half and Troon deservedly went in at the break at 2-0.

We were better second half and missed 2 or 3 reasonably good chances to get back in the game but over 90 minutes the home side deserved their win.

It's been interesting playing teams at the top of both the Duchy Premier and Trelawny Premier leagues in 2 of our 3 cup games this season, beating one and losing today.

Not exactly got a squad of players that are bottom league of duchy level though some played senior last year. So you should be competing with the prem league sides 

Last 16 Result- 

Falmouth DC 5 - 1 Mevagiseey 

Dominated Performance putting 5 pass the duchy prem side , which could have been easily more from the Trelawny Division 2 side. 

Goalscorer’s 

Jack Blakeston x2 

Brodie Kemp x1 

Fraser Harris x1 

Callum Pentecost x1 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP 2022-23 - Saturday 28 January 2023

Bude Town Reserves 3 - Gorran 1 - Cornwall Junior Cup Last 16

A game of two halves. The first half, Bude dominated and played some lovely free-flowing football taking an early lead through a Ryan Leverton header who got injured in the process and had to go off. Bude continued to control the game and doubled their lead with a lovely free kick floated in by Steve Box which was volleyed in at the far post by skipper James Wheeler. 

Gorran came at Bude in the second half, pressed and moved the ball quicker and were rewarded with a close range finish from a corner. They continued to test Bude with many corners and set pieces but Bude stayed resolute, dug deep and battled hard and scored the third at the death from young winger Harrison Swatton.

A really competitive game which would have been great to watch for a neutral, Bude delighted to beat a strong team from the Duchy Premier League and are looking forward to the next test in the quarter finals.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP 2022-23 - Saturday 11 February 2023
  • Dave Deacon pinned this topic
8 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Back to refs fees.

For the new St Piran League refs fees (proposed) will be £45, assistants £30. 

ALL Premier and Div one sides to charge £3 and £2 (concessions). All other sides in League can charge people up to the same amounts if they want. 

With the lower Div sides charging that will help cash flow to pay refs. 

That’s the current fee and shouldn’t be changed due to the new league, not without consulting both the clubs and the referees.

11 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Back to refs fees.

ALL Premier and Div one sides to charge £3 and £2 (concessions). All other sides in League can charge people up to the same amounts if they want. 

Having been an assistant until last season would still have done it for nothing. Clubs at this level are struggling as it is. 

21 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Back to refs fees.

13 hours ago, bighairydave said:

That’s the current fee and shouldn’t be changed due to the new league, not without consulting both the clubs and the referees.

10 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Having been an assistant until last season would still have done it for nothing. Clubs at this level are struggling as it is. 

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

That's a lot of money the clubs have to find! I always assumed they had club linos!

2 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

No wonder clubs are folding with fees like that Dave. Only means players have to pay more subs each week which could result in players not playing anymore. 

The referee fees for the different levels of the St Piran league next season have yet to be set but are unlikely to be much different to what clubs pay now. 

Draft rules have been circulated to the reps on the merger committee for comment and only one response has been received so far.  The fees and fines vary significantly across the 5 current leagues so there will inevitable be some changes.

45 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

And it’s club linesmen presumably?

Yes it is Dave. That may well be the case for a number of Step 6 games next season as well.  The league covers the costs for the teams of officials that do the cup semi's and final and the east/west play off game.

Anyway, back on topic, who's the favourite out of that group of JC semi-finalists?  Difficult to call.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP 2022-23 - Semi final updates