Cornwall Football Forum

CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP 2022-23 - Semi final updates

St Dominic 2 St Breward 4

A battle from start to the finish in a game that was over shadowed by a woeful refereeing display. I hate to complain about the officials as I know the struggles we are facing regarding the amount of refs available, but the performance today was totally unacceptable and undoubtedly had an effect on todays result. Recently we’ve had some excellent refs, but today was just not the case. Good luck to St Breward who took there chances first half when it was an even playing field!

1 minute ago, Massive88 said:

St Dominic 2 St Breward 4

A battle from start to the finish in a game that was over shadowed by a woeful refereeing display. I hate to complain about the officials as I know the struggles we are facing regarding the amount of refs available, but the performance today was totally unacceptable and undoubtedly had an effect on todays result. Recently we’ve had some excellent refs, but today was just not the case. Good luck to St Breward who took there chances first half when it was an even playing field!

Well I'm sure that the appointment officer will see this post and hopefully will stop sending some refs to you for a few weeks so you can have a go at doing it yourself

4 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

Well I'm sure that the appointment officer will see this post and hopefully will stop sending some refs to you for a few weeks so you can have a go at doing it yourself

That shouldn’t come into it! Lads give up their Saturdays to enjoy their afternoons, and they don’t deserve to to have it ruined refs. I respect referees and without them we won’t have a game. But I believe they should be able to accept criticism. If you were at todays game and would like to have a chat about it, more than willing to talk about it if you disagree👍 

So you thought youd come on a public forum and slag him off when it only takes three or four clicks for anyone to find out who he is. Maybe he should come on this forum and criticise your strikers for not putting the ball in the net more times than your opponents? Maybe he should come on and criticise your keeper and defence for leaking 4 goals. Maybe he should come on and criticise the manager for having his tactics absolutely battered. I'd love to se ethw day a referee comes on and stands their ground. Difference is that they as a majority are much more professional and respectful to do that. Dont like decisions referees make then don't put them in the position where they have to make that decision. What's interesting is that with thanks to the help of someone on here I learnt how to look at full time and see who is reffing what and a very quick look shows there was more games played today without referees than there were with them just let that sink in a bit. Referee appointer if you see this you know a club to avoid sending the very few refs you have to

5 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

So you thought youd come on a public forum and slag him off when it only takes three or four clicks for anyone to find out who he is. Maybe he should come on this forum and criticise your strikers for not putting the ball in the net more times than your opponents? Maybe he should come on and criticise your keeper and defence for leaking 4 goals. Maybe he should come on and criticise the manager for having his tactics absolutely battered. I'd love to se ethw day a referee comes on and stands their ground. Difference is that they as a majority are much more professional and respectful to do that. Dont like decisions referees make then don't put them in the position where they have to make that decision. What's interesting is that with thanks to the help of someone on here I learnt how to look at full time and see who is reffing what and a very quick look shows there was more games played today without referees than there were with them just let that sink in a bit. Referee appointer if you see this you know a club to avoid sending the very few refs you have to

People are entitled to come on and critisise, players, managers, the pitch, things like that, there's nothing stopping them. 

So why can't someone criticise soneone who's bring paid to do a job, someone who's 'qualified' in what they do!  Why should teams and individuals have to accept a poor performance from soneone that's been paid? 

2 minutes ago, St Darren said:

People are entitled to come on and critisise, players, managers, the pitch, things like that, there's nothing stopping them. 

So why can't someone criticise soneone who's bring paid to do a job, someone who's 'qualified' in what they do!  Why should teams and individuals have to accept a poor performance from soneone that's been paid? 

Do you think it's acceptable when the county is struggling for referees ? I don't having watched a number of teams this season that have had to ref games with volunteers. If you think that's okay then you don't understand the problem in cornwall 

28 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

Just a thought Barry. If you had a plumber in tomorrow to do a job and he’s charged £15 an hour and did a rubbish job would you be complaining? I’ll be sending in a report and speaking to the right people on Monday. Also I was part of the defence, I was at fault for one of the goals and took the criticism from manager and team mates. I also am secretary for my club, part of the committee, help out on the ground……..and I do it to enjoy my Saturday afternoons. Today I didn’t enjoy it and that was mainly down to one individual. 

4 minutes ago, Massive88 said:

Just a thought Barry. If you had a plumber in tomorrow to do a job and he’s charged £15 an hour and did a rubbish job would you be complaining? I’ll be sending in a report and speaking to the right people on Monday. Also I was part of the defence, I was at fault for one of the goals and took the criticism from manager and team mates. I also am secretary for my club, part of the committee, help out on the ground……..and I do it to enjoy my Saturday afternoons. Today I didn’t enjoy it and that was mainly down to one individual. 

Comparing a plumber to a referee?? 😂 😂 🤣 🤣 Love that. 

27 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

Do you think it's acceptable when the county is struggling for referees ? I don't having watched a number of teams this season that have had to ref games with volunteers. If you think that's okay then you don't understand the problem in cornwall 

It's nothing to do with the number of officials there are. People aren't criticising them to drive them away, they're doing it because these individuals who are referees are paid for what they do. 

1 hour ago, BrummyBarry said:

I wouldn’t stop send them there I’d send the same one to them the next couple games so they can gain some respect for the fella maybe talk to him in person rather than write it on here. 

Just now, St Darren said:

It's nothing to do with the number of officials there are. People aren't criticising them to drive them away, they're doing it because these individuals who are referees are paid for what they do. 

Yeah I must admit I would be lying if I say I’ve never criticized a ref 😂 some do have absolute stinkers. 

5 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

I wouldn’t stop send them there I’d send the same one to them the next couple games so they can gain some respect for the fella maybe talk to him in person rather than write it on here. 

You genuinely couldn’t speak to him. Last week we had a fantastic young lad ref us, breath of fresh air spoke to us before, during and after. Attended the pub after the game. 

9 minutes ago, Massive88 said:

You genuinely couldn’t speak to him. Last week we had a fantastic young lad ref us, breath of fresh air spoke to us before, during and after. Attended the pub after the game. 

Tough one if your not able to approach and talk to him I think that’s vital in a refs and win game that he’s able to talk and discuss things. 

i am pretty sure I remember a ref from par area real old chap. Went on for years. He use to talk to you about a decision but if you answered him back or gave abuse he use to push the free kicks forward 10 yards. You would find he had control of the game pretty quick. 😂

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Because there are the appropriate ways to do so first!

47 minutes ago, Massive88 said:

Exactly! You would complain to company on Monday. Not post on a public forum.

Let’s see how the county take this public shaming and how many officials you have at St Dominick going forward.

11 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Let’s see how the county take this public shaming and how many officials you have at St Dominick going forward.

That’s your opinion, what is this public forum for? We at St Dominic are always delighted to have appointed referees. Today though the performance was very under par, perhaps I was wrong to come on here and say that. I will go through the right ways on Monday and will be delighted to speak to someone at the FA about it. 

6 minutes ago, Massive88 said:

That’s your opinion, what is this public forum for? We at St Dominic are always delighted to have appointed referees. Today though the performance was very under par, perhaps I was wrong to come on here and say that. I will go through the right ways on Monday and will be delighted to speak to someone at the FA about it. 

So will you delete your comments until done so? 

1 hour ago, cornish leg end said:

Tough one if your not able to approach and talk to him I think that’s vital in a refs and win game that he’s able to talk and discuss things. 

i am pretty sure I remember a ref from par area real old chap. Went on for years. He use to talk to you about a decision but if you answered him back or gave abuse he use to push the free kicks forward 10 yards. You would find he had control of the game pretty quick. 😂

David Martin perhaps! Sounds like his style!

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

But I think people do post on other social media outlets and it gets results! 

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

So will you delete your comments until done so? 

I think we really need to get off this image that all refs never have bad games!

Some matches players are absolutely rubbish, some days it may be refs. Just man up, take the criticism and move on to the next game.

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

But I think people do post on other social media outlets and it gets results! 

I think we really need to get off this image that all refs never have bad games!

Some matches players are absolutely rubbish, some days it may be refs. Just man up, take the criticism and move on to the next game.

They do get results agreed but usually it is the company not an individual who is paid pittance and essentially covers their expenses for the season.

Agree players do also have shockers but flicking through all of the reports from this week it seems every player has been amazing as not one player has individually been called out in the way this referee has.

I am fed up of seeing people complain and moan about not having referees on one hand then on the other contributing towards the shortage. Use the correct channels to get those individuals trained better and retention will increase. Already this season we have seen that referees are leaving the game due to abuse at games but also social media after the game. They can’t escape it. Most referees will beat themselves up more anyway when they know they have made a shocking mistake, they don’t need people here or other social media outlets to “put the boot in” and call them out here as well.

Maybe we should put it this way…? 

We all play for the Love of the game, surely? 

We all have bad games, Good games, amazing performances, dog 💩 performances… make mistakes, make goal saving tackles or can score worldies. 

And we are all very quick to write a match report to show our achievements. 

I think the issue here is, we’re criticised as a team, and a referee is criticised as an individual. 

No we can all agree out of the 100 referees let’s say for example, that are qualified or on the roster, we’ve all had and without naming names so it’s not favouritism or prejudice. Some really terrible referees who don’t gain respect because of the way they portray themselves? Speaking rude, passive aggressive, and make it all about them… not willing to explain a decision, or even talk. - which in my opinion is the worst type of frustration as a player!!!

And obviously there’s the good ones who are polite, stern, discuss and explain a decision sometimes talk you through a game or a challenge. - superb. 

Now to me what’s the point in having this forum, if we can’t voice a concern or opinion? Yes a referee can’t really determine a result unless let’s say you’re winning 1-0 and then he decided to give 2 random penalties for a chance for 1-2 out of no where. 

The point is referees getting praise on here when it’s warranted and I believe referees should also be allowed to be spoke about if a team feel they’ve had a poor day. “Ref bashing” No its critique, reviews, opinions. Not all have the same opinion, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have one. 

We all have a chance to mark a referee and use that system to do so, and then follow, it up with your reasoning in your report. 

Doesn’t mean stop having a view here, Jesus Christ, you get enough of the similar “reports” and “reviews” on a referee they get accessed. 

Human error is understandable, down right ignorance sometimes isn’t easy to understand. 

St Minver Reserves 1 Bude Town Reserves 5

Bude extend their 11 game winning streak with a great battle at St Minver. The home team took the lead in the early stages but we composed ourselves and equalised through a nice finish from Kyle Garvie. 1-1 at half time.

Some lovely football was being played by both teams in the second half and Bude took the lead when Steve Hackett tapped in from close range. St Minver had a great effort from a direct free kick which was heading into the top corner but Bude keeper Jenson Goatcher made a top save to keep it out. Steve Box added a third with a beautiful curling shot from the edge of the penalty area and Bude brought on three subs who helped seal the win with further goals from Jago Tweitman after great wing play by Sam Hampson and Ben Bryant finished the scoring late on.

Special mention to the referee Gary Cornish who had a faultless game and St Minver who had the pitch looking lovely after all the bad weather. They have a really good bunch of lads and we wish them all the best for the season.

Bude hoping to stay on this winning run, the young 16 year olds in the squad doing us proud.

1 hour ago, Asterix said:

Maybe we should put it this way…? 

We all play for the Love of the game, surely? 

We all have bad games, Good games, amazing performances, dog 💩 performances… make mistakes, make goal saving tackles or can score worldies. 

And we are all very quick to write a match report to show our achievements. 

I think the issue here is, we’re criticised as a team, and a referee is criticised as an individual. 

No we can all agree out of the 100 referees let’s say for example, that are qualified or on the roster, we’ve all had and without naming names so it’s not favouritism or prejudice. Some really terrible referees who don’t gain respect because of the way they portray themselves? Speaking rude, passive aggressive, and make it all about them… not willing to explain a decision, or even talk. - which in my opinion is the worst type of frustration as a player!!!

And obviously there’s the good ones who are polite, stern, discuss and explain a decision sometimes talk you through a game or a challenge. - superb. 

Now to me what’s the point in having this forum, if we can’t voice a concern or opinion? Yes a referee can’t really determine a result unless let’s say you’re winning 1-0 and then he decided to give 2 random penalties for a chance for 1-2 out of no where. 

The point is referees getting praise on here when it’s warranted and I believe referees should also be allowed to be spoke about if a team feel they’ve had a poor day. “Ref bashing” No its critique, reviews, opinions. Not all have the same opinion, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have one. 

We all have a chance to mark a referee and use that system to do so, and then follow, it up with your reasoning in your report. 

Doesn’t mean stop having a view here, Jesus Christ, you get enough of the similar “reports” and “reviews” on a referee they get accessed. 

Human error is understandable, down right ignorance sometimes isn’t easy to understand. 

Opinions fine on individual decisions. 

Concerns need to go down the correct route, not posted here. I’m sure in a few days we will see what St Dom think, bet they mark 61!

1 minute ago, bighairydave said:

Opinions fine on individual decisions. 

Concerns need to go down the correct route, not posted here. I’m sure in a few days we will see what St Dom think, bet they mark 61!

Can I ask why we can’t post here? 

If done in the correct manner and the right way surely, there shouldn’t be an issue? 

11 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Like Trip Advisor!!! 

2 hours ago, Asterix said:

Can I ask why we can’t post here? 

If done in the correct manner and the right way surely, there shouldn’t be an issue? 

I agree about individual decisions the same as mistakes. But, demonising an official as has been done above is not the correct way to a) get change and b) retain referees.

I might go to a game next week, grab the team sheets and then call out every individual mistake from a team and then see how that is taken on the forum?

7 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

I agree about individual decisions the same as mistakes. But, demonising an official as has been done above is not the correct way to a) get change and b) retain referees.

I might go to a game next week, grab the team sheets and then call out every individual mistake from a team and then see how that is taken on the forum?

Maybe then managers wouldn’t just pick favourites and would have to listen…? 

Life no matter what has criticism and critique and divided opinions. 

Being vindictive about it is not the answer, but maybe also referees could also see how their actions come across. Not saying every referee is the same, but there are some who are provocative same as players can be. 

Always told as a little boy.. 

“Respect is Earned, Not given”

2 minutes ago, Asterix said:

Maybe then managers wouldn’t just pick favourites and would have to listen…? 

Life no matter what has criticism and critique and divided opinions. 

Being vindictive about it is not the answer, but maybe also referees could also see how their actions come across. Not saying every referee is the same, but there are some who are provocative same as players can be. 

Always told as a little boy.. 

“Respect is Earned, Not given”

Agree. We are though, at a critical point now, and can ill-afford to lose any more.

Respect is earnt, but surely there should be some decency and a base respect surely?

4 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Agree. We are though, at a critical point now, and can ill-afford to lose any more.

Respect is earnt, but surely there should be some decency and a base respect surely?

Of course, and as a secretary of a club you’re sent out how you are expect to relay to your players at the club as how they’re supposed to act …  same as I’ll presume that referees are sent the same how to treat and act to players 

Thanks asterix so if a ref is bad then mark under 60 and write a report and the fa train them? That sounds like a good system. For me I think referees are open to criticism when they mess up. But I am sure that they don't do it on purpose and it's purely sometimes down to a poor position or they don't know the rules which confuses me sometimes. Ive been watching football across the uk for almost 50 years and there's not one game where I think the ref has made a mistake on purpose. The reason I don't like refs being criticized on a public forum is because there just aren't enough of them and I've seen people say on here before that they are leaving because they get criticized and victimised sometimes. You look at the news and social sites and you hear of them being assaulted and hit and we wonder why there isn't enough of them and that's why I don't like them being outed. I don't think some people on here realise the dire situation football is in so whilst it's hard to sometimes keep our opinions to ourselves, voicing negative opinions of refs is never going to encourage people to do it.

3 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Thanks asterix so if a ref is bad then mark under 60 and write a report and the fa train them? That sounds like a good system. For me I think referees are open to criticism when they mess up. But I am sure that they don't do it on purpose and it's purely sometimes down to a poor position or they don't know the rules which confuses me sometimes. Ive been watching football across the uk for almost 50 years and there's not one game where I think the ref has made a mistake on purpose. The reason I don't like refs being criticized on a public forum is because there just aren't enough of them and I've seen people say on here before that they are leaving because they get criticized and victimised sometimes. You look at the news and social sites and you hear of them being assaulted and hit and we wonder why there isn't enough of them and that's why I don't like them being outed. I don't think some people on here realise the dire situation football is in so whilst it's hard to sometimes keep our opinions to ourselves, voicing negative opinions of refs is never going to encourage people to do it.

Can I say that whilst Ill continue to critisice referees and have numerous examples of where I have no respect for certain referees of the past. At no stage do I condone physical abuse or verbal abuse that goes too far. 

4 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:
7 hours ago, Asterix said:

It’s supposed to be 3 marking systems for different reasons I can’t remember them without looking at the screen 

0-40

0-30

0-30

so out of 100…anything below 60 needs a report 

so if a ref is bad then mark under 60 and write a report and the fa train them? That sounds like a good system. 

1-40 Overall decision making

1-30 Judgement of major decision

1-30 Overall control

Its a good system if implemented by the clubs properly. Over 20 times this season (In Trelawny League) a referee has been given a mark between 61 and 65 and invariably the other team rates them 80+. You don't have to be a genius to work out that more often than not the side that loses gives the lower marking and that applies when a referee gets a good score as well, they will still be underscored by the losing team. 

Rather than rate the ref on the result it may be an idea to rate on their performance and remember that one decision that you dont agree with, no matter how critical in the game, doesn't mean they have had a bad game. 

8 hours ago, peggy78 said:

1-40 Overall decision making

1-30 Judgement of major decision

1-30 Overall control

Its a good system if implemented by the clubs properly. Over 20 times this season (In Trelawny League) a referee has been given a mark between 61 and 65 and invariably the other team rates them 80+. You don't have to be a genius to work out that more often than not the side that loses gives the lower marking and that applies when a referee gets a good score as well, they will still be underscored by the losing team. 

Rather than rate the ref on the result it may be an idea to rate on their performance and remember that one decision that you dont agree with, no matter how critical in the game, doesn't mean they have had a bad game. 

Thats very well put Peggy and Im led to believe that your league is one that is affected alot by the shortage do you think that the criticism these junior  amateur brand new referees is contributing to it

7 hours ago, chesterfield said:

Always a shame when you click on to hopefully read reports on matches and see what’s going on and comment after comment on one game about a ref!

I can see what you’re saying, but I don’t think it’s about the referee i think most the comments are a discussion about how it’s only fair, that we should be able to discuss, about referees and players 

If anyone needs educating or guidance on the marking system, ask! I did a year or two ago and it’s helped me evaluate fairly! My team won on Saturday, official was very good and got a pretty good score. I still deducted some marks for missing a penalty shout he should’ve given to our opposition in the Major Decision marks. Be as neutral as you can when marking so they get the justified feedback, both positive and constructive. 

On 19/11/2022 at 21:45, St Darren said:

Think it's incredibly poor you come on here to criticise a profession that is subject to abhorrent abuse week in week out.

You've no right to berate officials who try their very best to please , at the best of times, 22 braindead thugs who resort to the most vehement of behaviour purely because they can't hack losing. 

And yet we all scratch our heads as to why we're short on officials..

Get your house in order!

33 minutes ago, Roche Raider said:

Think it's incredibly poor you come on here to criticise a profession that is subject to abhorrent abuse week in week out.

You've no right to berate officials who try their very best to please , at the best of times, 22 braindead thugs who resort to the most vehement of behaviour purely because they can't hack losing. 

And yet we all scratch our heads as to why we're short on officials..

Get your house in order!

Lol, why can't someone cruticise the performance of somneone who is paid to deliver the laws of the game. 

Referees believe it or not are not beyond critique. 

13 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Don't care what they get paid, they get paid for doing it and don't get taxed on it either!! 

Don’t get taxed on it because once you take out travel to and from game, travel to and from training events and kit costs there is either a loss made or such a small profit it can’t be declared. Along with claiming for other things I imagine most will be owed tax rather than paying it.

8 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Don’t get taxed on it because once you take out travel to and from game, travel to and from training events and kit costs there is either a loss made or such a small profit it can’t be declared. Along with claiming for other things I imagine most will be owed tax rather than paying it.

Just stating a fact that a referee gets paid for doing the job.  Some referees can make a decent bit of money, Saturday, Sunday, midweek, 6 aside leagues. 

2 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Just stating a fact that a referee gets paid for doing the job.  Some referees can make a decent bit of money, Saturday, Sunday, midweek, 6 aside leagues. 

So was I. £30 to have abuse for 90 minutes for doing your job is pittance. And is certainly not with all of the time taken anywhere near minimum wage.

11 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

So was I. £30 to have abuse for 90 minutes for doing your job is pittance. And is certainly not with all of the time taken anywhere near minimum wage.

Plus expenses as well. 

It probably works out at around £10 an hour. Reffing the game and then the write up afterwards. 

Some of these comments are a joke! Pick up the whistle yourselves if you’re so good and know every single law!

and before anyone says it, yes I have tried it myself. Gave it up cos it wasn’t worth the time, money or abuse! Only role in football more difficult than managing is being a referee. And I’ve done both.