Cornwall Football Forum

St Dominic vs Saltash Borough

20 hours ago, Grassrootsgary said:

reports suggest saltash borough were ‘unable to raise a side.’
If that is the case it’s pretty embarrassing really for a team who won the league last year to cancel a game at that short notice. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I'm the manager of Saltash Borough and its the first time I've ever had to do it in 6 years at the club. Bigger clubs have pulled out of games more times than us because sometimes things happened that you just can't avoid. 

Certain teams have even pulled in complete Plymouth sides to try and win this league in the past, failed then when that group of players cleared off they folded! 

We use Saltash players from youth to help them progress and sometimes these things happen - I wouldn't dream of pulling in Plymouth ringers - which has been happening a lot already this season aswell as last season. 

Yes we had a group that were away but still had more than enough to start at the beginning of the week but then various things happened - personal things to the players left, some to do with health (hospital included), some to do with family reasons, some to do with call ups by the services this weekend after current events, late work calls and all couple of other issues which left us with 7 players. 

I've could've gone with 7 under the rules and ended up losing a  player during the match to injury causing an abandonment but that would've wasted everyone's time and wouldn't have been fair on our hosts and the pub who lay on food etc. The last thing I want to do is give away 3 points when I believe we're well capable of being up there again but it was an unfortunate series of things that were just unavoidable. I've spent hours trying to find enough from youth system etc but finally had to concede we just couldn't get enough. 

Yes I'm embarrassed as the manager as I've never done it before but unless you personally can explain every player's reason why they couldn't play you how can you comment on it? You have no idea, last season certain bigger clubs had internal problems caused by themselves and were given 'special consideration' and two weeks off because they couldn't raise sides with the affected matches being rescheduled - all their own doing, nothing like the reasons behind what happened to us this week but we asked to rearrange but werent allowed to. Anyone who knows me knows I would do whatever I can to get games on and have plenty of times - I spend a awful lottof time keeping this team going in my spare time. 

If you're personally embarrassed by this, which you must be as you know nothing about the situation but had to put a comment suggesting you are then I feel sorry for you. 

I apologise to St Dominick and the rest of the league because despite all the reasons it still isn't right to pull out of games but unless you can explain EVERY SINGLE PLAYERS situation I suggest you keep your comments to yourself. 

Kev McCann - Saltash Borough (in case you fancy meeting to discuss further face to face) 

On 16/09/2022 at 18:34, Grassrootsgary said:

reports suggest saltash borough were ‘unable to raise a side.’
If that is the case it’s pretty embarrassing really for a team who won the league last year to cancel a game at that short notice. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Have a day off will you, Kev worked all week to try and get a side together countless hours, anyone who plays football this level and manages knows it’s no easy thing to get players on the pitch every single week especially what’s going on in the world at the minute, the club done all they could to sort things with the league but don’t get the same special treatment the reserve sides get just because they don’t play in the peninsula. Been involved with the club for 8 years and never have they had to call a game off due to lack of players and this was the first and hopefully the last. Countless teams have called games against us in the past and then played 11 first teamers on a Tuesday night 3 days later. 
Give your head a shake before having digs at people who done all they could to help, club can’t help the fact players aren’t as committed these days because of personal activities or work and family issues. 

1 hour ago, Scasson said:

the club done all they could to sort things with the league but don’t get the same special treatment the reserve sides get just because they don’t play in the peninsula. 

I have no doubt that the club did everything they could to get today's game on but to suggest that any club gets treated differently to any other cannot go unchallenged.  Every team is treated in exactly the same way under any given set of circumstances regardless of whether they a first team or a reserve side.  If this was not the case I certainly wouldn't be involved and nor would, I believe, any other of the committee members.  In short, your accusation of special treatment is plain wrong.

18 hours ago, Kvmccan said:

I'm the manager of Saltash Borough and its the first time I've ever had to do it in 6 years at the club. Bigger clubs have pulled out of games more times than us because sometimes things happened that you just can't avoid. 

Certain teams have even pulled in complete Plymouth sides to try and win this league in the past, failed then when that group of players cleared off they folded! 

We use Saltash players from youth to help them progress and sometimes these things happen - I wouldn't dream of pulling in Plymouth ringers - which has been happening a lot already this season aswell as last season. 

Yes we had a group that were away but still had more than enough to start at the beginning of the week but then various things happened - personal things to the players left, some to do with health (hospital included), some to do with family reasons, some to do with call ups by the services this weekend after current events, late work calls and all couple of other issues which left us with 7 players. 

I've could've gone with 7 under the rules and ended up losing a  player during the match to injury causing an abandonment but that would've wasted everyone's time and wouldn't have been fair on our hosts and the pub who lay on food etc. The last thing I want to do is give away 3 points when I believe we're well capable of being up there again but it was an unfortunate series of things that were just unavoidable. I've spent hours trying to find enough from youth system etc but finally had to concede we just couldn't get enough. 

Yes I'm embarrassed as the manager as I've never done it before but unless you personally can explain every player's reason why they couldn't play you how can you comment on it? You have no idea, last season certain bigger clubs had internal problems caused by themselves and were given 'special consideration' and two weeks off because they couldn't raise sides with the affected matches being rescheduled - all their own doing, nothing like the reasons behind what happened to us this week but we asked to rearrange but werent allowed to. Anyone who knows me knows I would do whatever I can to get games on and have plenty of times - I spend a awful lottof time keeping this team going in my spare time. 

If you're personally embarrassed by this, which you must be as you know nothing about the situation but had to put a comment suggesting you are then I feel sorry for you. 

I apologise to St Dominick and the rest of the league because despite all the reasons it still isn't right to pull out of games but unless you can explain EVERY SINGLE PLAYERS situation I suggest you keep your comments to yourself. 

Kev McCann - Saltash Borough (in case you fancy meeting to discuss further face to face) 

Well said mate..👏

Thanks Kev for your detailed reasons as to why this fixture was cancelled perhaps you should have contacted us first before putting on a public forum.We had no communications with your club all week  from the initial confirmation of the fixture right through to us getting a automated message saying that the game was off.

We then had confirmation from the league secretary that the game was off but still nothing right through until this moment from Saltash Borough FC.

We understand how difficult it is to run teams nowadays  availability if players gets worse year on year but to not contact your opponents with your reasons is very disappointing as a lot of hard work goes into preparing for  matches  .

We hope your player shortage sorts itself out and look forward to the return fixture .

Ian Hunn St Dominick FC

Anyone managing a club who only have one team will find it difficult to field a team when things happen out of fheir control.  What Kevin didnt say was that he had 3 players called away to do service in London over the queens demise. 2 players suffering feom hamstring problems, 2 players called into work, the goalkeeper in hospital and 1 player losing a family member.  Thats 9 players missing. He is also suffering from ill health. As he said he could have gone up with 7 players, then feigned an injury and match abandoned. So those who criticise please do so when knowing the facts.  A single club only has a limited amount of players to pick from.  

8 hours ago, Ian Hunn said:

Thanks Kev for your detailed reasons as to why this fixture was cancelled perhaps you should have contacted us first before putting on a public forum.We had no communications with your club all week  from the initial confirmation of the fixture right through to us getting a automated message saying that the game was off.

We then had confirmation from the league secretary that the game was off but still nothing right through until this moment from Saltash Borough FC.

We understand how difficult it is to run teams nowadays  availability if players gets worse year on year but to not contact your opponents with your reasons is very disappointing as a lot of hard work goes into preparing for  matches  .

We hope your player shortage sorts itself out and look forward to the return fixture .

Ian Hunn St Dominick FC

Hello Ian 

I understand what you say about us letting you know and I apologise to you personally for not doing so or instructing my secretary to - totally on me. The reason I didn't finally concede defeat in raising a team is because as of Thursday night I still had 10 and was going to still come with 10 - even knowing we'd probably get a hammering - but that was my honest intention. Things happened late Thursday, early Friday morning which put me in the situation I found myself. 

Our first call is to let the league know as you're aware and I was going to put an statement out apologising to you and your club for the short notice (which was just as short notice for me please bear in mind). I had a job to finish and between then and when I got home I was informed by a few people about remarks made on twitter by some of your players and even worse part of your management (who know how hard these things can be so shouldn't have commented at all in my opinion) - which I'm told have since been deleted, which then made me decide to just leave it. I don't personally go on social media much - only really do the posts for Saltash Borough as we have no one else so I don't follow any of your players or management. I'll quite happily discuss these situation face to face with them if they have a problem but I decided not to get into a twitter argument as the league and FA have regularly told us to stop derogatory remarks (which obviously your management ignore). 

I realise I still should've contacted you and again I apologise to you Ian but I would only have been able to let you on the Friday too as that is when things got worse for me. 

All I can say is sorry, this is the first time I have EVER had to pull out of a competitive game - even when I coached at youth level and can assure you and the rest of the league this won't happen again while I'm the manager. 

I'm so sorry again to both you Ian and Ken who I respect enormously, totally my fault. 

Oh and one last thing - to answer your first comment, I didn't put this on the public forum, I had no choice but to respond to what someone else started. 

Kev

1 hour ago, ECPL said:

Anyone managing a club who only have one team will find it difficult to field a team when things happen out of fheir control.  What Kevin didnt say was that he had 3 players called away to do service in London over the queens demise. 2 players suffering feom hamstring problems, 2 players called into work, the goalkeeper in hospital and 1 player losing a family member.  Thats 9 players missing. He is also suffering from ill health. As he said he could have gone up with 7 players, then feigned an injury and match abandoned. So those who criticise please do so when knowing the facts.  A single club only has a limited amount of players to pick from.  

Knowing Kev as I do from the opposing dugout, there are very few managers who work harder than he does for his club. All too easy for individuals to come on here being critical, but until it’s happened to your club you don’t appreciate the upset and embarrassment  it causes.
We have to remember we are all volunteers here who do what we do for the love of the game and our clubs, and we are at the mercy of our players who, increasingly, don’t share the same commitment levels. 
I fear this type of event will happen more often if the proposed merger of Cornish leagues goes ahead, with the inevitable “one player one club rule” - you need 20+ players these days and nobody can keep that many happy when they aren’t playing. 
Borough will bounce back, no worries.  

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

Knowing Kev as I do from the opposing dugout, there are very few managers who work harder than he does for his club. All too easy for individuals to come on here being critical, but until it’s happened to your club you don’t appreciate the upset and embarrassment  it causes.
We have to remember we are all volunteers here who do what we do for the love of the game and our clubs, and we are at the mercy of our players who, increasingly, don’t share the same commitment levels. 
I fear this type of event will happen more often if the proposed merger of Cornish leagues goes ahead, with the inevitable “one player one club rule” - you need 20+ players these days and nobody can keep that many happy when they aren’t playing. 
Borough will bounce back, no worries.  

Thank you Matt, it has embarrassed me, it's the last thing I'd ever want to do which is why I was so late forfeiting, but hopefully Ian, Ken and the league have accepted my apology 

38 minutes ago, Kvmccan said:

Thank you Matt, it has embarrassed me, it's the last thing I'd ever want to do which is why I was so late forfeiting, but hopefully Ian, Ken and the league have accepted my apology 

Can’t be helped mate, sign of the times unfortunately. You aren’t the first and won’t be the last! Keep your chin up 

Hi Kev,

As manager of St Dominick first team I feel it prudent to not get involved in any discussion on any social media site that involves being derogatory to anyone, especially when we all do this on a voluntary basis. Things happen and we are all too aware that commitment levels at grassroots are sadly a long way away from what they were. I bet now we can all pretty much count on one hand how many times a season we have full squads available. 

I’ve no interest in a war of words with anyone or dragging a thread on needlessly. I do monitor social media but I wasn’t aware myself or made aware of any derogatory comments. I only told our players at 4.45 on Friday afternoon after a few frantic calls beforehand to find out that the fixture was definitely off. 

Finally, despite yesterday, I’m sure you and your Borough team will be fighting it out amongst the top places again this season with some very talented players in your squad. 

1 hour ago, Simonr said:

Hi Kev,

As manager of St Dominick first team I feel it prudent to not get involved in any discussion on any social media site that involves being derogatory to anyone, especially when we all do this on a voluntary basis. Things happen and we are all too aware that commitment levels at grassroots are sadly a long way away from what they were. I bet now we can all pretty much count on one hand how many times a season we have full squads available. 

I’ve no interest in a war of words with anyone or dragging a thread on needlessly. I do monitor social media but I wasn’t aware myself or made aware of any derogatory comments. I only told our players at 4.45 on Friday afternoon after a few frantic calls beforehand to find out that the fixture was definitely off. 

Finally, despite yesterday, I’m sure you and your Borough team will be fighting it out amongst the top places again this season with some very talented players in your squad. 

Thank you Simon - I know it wasn't you who put stuff on twitter so I wasn't talking about you personally but there was plenty put - doubt anyone will agree as I've been told a lot has been deleted so I've just left it and want to move on. I don't get involved on social media - I'd much rather those with an opinion speak to me in person. I apologise to you personally as well - I know full well how frustrating it is when a game gets cancelled - especially late on, I did inform our secretary early Friday so don't know how long these things take to go through the system. I genuinely was going to come with the 10 players Thursday night so it wasn't planned in any way, the last thing I wanted to do was gift three points. All I can do now is apologise again - it's the first time I've had to do it and I can promise as long as I'm manager will be the last. 

Kev 

Well my question was for a player who has experienced the situation (in fact on both sides) this season.

If I was still a player, I would much prefer to get the game played at some stage in the season, however the problem comes in allowing struggling clubs to postpone just like that. Imagine the mess it would become if teams could cry off in the morning of a match day!

It appears that Kev had valid reasons for asking for a postponement, but just three days before the match day it seems everything was pretty much fine.

If you go by the rules, I would imagine the points go to the opposition. Can there be any room for sympathy?

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Well my question was for a player who has experienced the situation (in fact on both sides) this season.

If I was still a player, I would much prefer to get the game played at some stage in the season, however the problem comes in allowing struggling clubs to postpone just like that. Imagine the mess it would become if teams could cry off in the morning of a match day!

It appears that Kev had valid reasons for asking for a postponement, but just three days before the match day it seems everything was pretty much fine.

If you go by the rules, I would imagine the points go to the opposition. Can there be any room for sympathy?

Hello Dave 

Believe me I would have much rather had played the game which is why even as late as Thursday I was willing to go to one of the best teams in the league with only 10 knowing we'd probably have been beaten well. It was only that evening and early Friday morning that things got worse or I would've informed everyone sooner - I accept responsibility for the late notice but did have a valid reason why I didn't inform the league till Friday. I have now apologised on here to Ian at St Dominick that I couldn't tell him sooner but again there was a valid reason. I of course would still have liked to play the game at a later date but do understand Steve Carpenter has just as tough a job running the league as managers in trying to keep everyone happy. I understand also he has to stay consistent to every team even though I think I had valid reasons to hope for a rearrangement - but as everything happened so late, accept that he couldn't make that happening in the interest of fairness to every team in the league. 

I know it is fairly impossible for Steve to determine who deserves to have a game rearranged when teams say they can't raise a side so accept the decision that the three points have to go to St Dominick - making it even harder for us to try and defend our title. 

I don't blame Steve or the league in any way at all - I'm the one who couldn't raise the side in time but once again I can honestly say I was going to play it with 10 on Thursday night  - but come Friday 7 were left through some quite serious circumstances - so I had no choice. 

As anyone can see I have never pulled out of a game because players have decided to do other things, but with the ones left (that didn't go to the festival) I still had enough - the various reasons some of these players then had to pull out was unbelievable - but it happened. 

I've had dozens of teams pull out of games late on me since I started managing Borough and its incredibly frustrating so understand St Dominicks anger - I received points for those games but honestly, would rather have played - after all that's the whole point of why we do what we do. 

St Dominick had a team together, were ready to play and we let them down so they deserve the points, no arguments from me - just an apology once again to them that their lads couldn't get their weekend football that they were looking forward to. 

Kev 

11 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Here’s one for you - you picked up the points earlier this season for Perranporth unable to get a team together : would you have rather taken the points as happened or played the game to be rearranged for a later date in the season?

Play the game for sure ...  but on the other hand we was desperate for points lol