Cornwall Football Forum

Mousehole

Tavi Fan

Can someone please educate me on where/how they attract these players from all over the UK?

The new lad Moussa Diallo appears to have previously been on the books of Farsley Celtic in Yorkshire along with Max Hill who originally came from Leeds. Believe the new striker Ferguson is from Scotland?

Just intrigued how they all manage to end up moving to Cornwall and playing for Mousehole? Surely Mousehole don’t pay that much in wages so they don’t have to work 😂

Not knocking it but just genuinely curious and would like to know how this all comes about.

Having a educated guess,

Once players leave Academy football, they are essentially free agents.  All aspirational players want contracts to play for clubs preferably in the football league or equivlant abroad.  

I expect Mousehole have arrangements where they get high calibre players from agents in return guarantee they play regular football at a decent standard (Western League).  These games are filmed and each player then builds up a portfolio to send to club scouts.  If your not playing your not getting fit or noticed. 

A couple of years ago they had a player playing against us in the opening game of the season and less than a month later he was playing for Colchester ,in that game they had a few players from the Leeds academy and as Richard Chown has said,the object being that videos were watched and careers were formed etc as in the case of this player.

So great idea for both parties involved.

' Up The Town '

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/09/2022 at 11:56, Richard Chown said:

Having a educated guess,

Once players leave Academy football, they are essentially free agents.  All aspirational players want contracts to play for clubs preferably in the football league or equivlant abroad.  

I expect Mousehole have arrangements where they get high calibre players from agents in return guarantee they play regular football at a decent standard (Western League).  These games are filmed and each player then builds up a portfolio to send to club scouts.  If your not playing your not getting fit or noticed. 

good guess!....i'm surprised there arent more clubs doing it tbh as its a win-win for all involved

mousehole is in the arse end of nowhere and there just isnt physically enough players of step 5 standard nearby and contrary to populat belief we dont pay big wages or owt so we have to be creative to survive and compete

the lad moussa played his last game for us on wednesday and is now on the books at bolton wanderers

59 minutes ago, Pondy said:

mousehole is in the arse end of nowhere and there just isnt physically enough players of step 5 standard nearby and contrary to populat belief we dont pay big wages or owt so we have to be creative to survive and compete

Hardly the "arse end of nowhere", I think it's fair to say you probably have one the most scenic grounds in Britain.  Hardly a surprise that the camp sites works for you, I'd pitch up there if I was a holiday maker.

5 hours ago, Pondy said:

good guess!....i'm surprised there arent more clubs doing it tbh as its a win-win for all involved

the lad moussa played his last game for us on wednesday and is now on the books at bolton wanderers

Wow great move for the lad and well done Mousehole.

Surely there’s a financial incentive to drag players down to the “arse end of nowhere” though? Got to be other non league clubs all over England doing similar?

On 30/09/2022 at 20:26, Tavi Fan said:

Wow great move for the lad and well done Mousehole.

Surely there’s a financial incentive to drag players down to the “arse end of nowhere” though? Got to be other non league clubs all over England doing similar?

Yeah I’m well chuffed for him, helluva talent that just needs polishing up. 
I have no idea about financial incentives tbh but as DN states above, we have tapped into local sport science courses and we get opta style analytics which is the sort of thing that EFL clubs want to see when scouting.
Whatever, it must be cost effective as the club is run sustainably.