Cornwall Football Forum

Hi everyone, 

I have been wondering if there are any rules in place regarding the use of the increasingly popular VEO cameras. For those that don't know what these are, they are simply an automated filming device that records a game from the side of the pitch. 

I know filming in public is not a crime, but how do we define if a Football pitch is a public or private space? Some grounds such as Clijah Croft are very clearly public whereas a paid and enclosed venue such as Falmouth Town could be defined as a private space. But there are a lot of pitches where this is not so clear.

As it stands an away team can rock up at your pitch, set up their tripod to film the game and then refuse to share the footage. 

So some simple questions to get the ball rolling- 

• Does a Home team have the right to refuse an away team to film?
  • Are there any UK laws or FA laws regarding the filming of amateur Football?
  • Should a team that owns a VEO camera be obliged to share the footage with the opponents they have filmed?

1 hour ago, a little bit of a dinho said:

Hi everyone, 

I have been wondering if there are any rules in place regarding the use of the increasingly popular VEO cameras. For those that don't know what these are, they are simply an automated filming device that records a game from the side of the pitch. 

I know filming in public is not a crime, but how do we define if a Football pitch is a public or private space? Some grounds such as Clijah Croft are very clearly public whereas a paid and enclosed venue such as Falmouth Town could be defined as a private space. But there are a lot of pitches where this is not so clear.

As it stands an away team can rock up at your pitch, set up their tripod to film the game and then refuse to share the footage. 

So some simple questions to get the ball rolling- 

• Does a Home team have the right to refuse an away team to film?
  • Are there any UK laws or FA laws regarding the filming of amateur Football?
  • Should a team that owns a VEO camera be obliged to share the footage with the opponents they have filmed?

I believe the home team can refuse you permission to erect the camera pole to film, certainly on 'private' land anyway. Not sure where the club would stand if it's 'public' land. 

1 hour ago, Buckland Jim said:

There probably isn't. You would think all clubs would be accommodating as they can share the footage if the filming club are obliging. 

You would think that but I've already experienced it on two occasions this season where the club filming have not been forthcoming with footage. Once as a home side and once as a visiting side. 

This is why I'm curious about the rules as going forward I would refuse any team the opportunity to film unless they agreed to share the footage.

I wonder if you could refuse to play as a visiting side unless the home side agreed to share. 

I do believe there needs to be some FA guidance on this if there isn't any already.

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

Our home games are always filmed at clijah croft.

Yes and Redruth were fine sharing the footage which I believe is more in line with the spirit of local Football. Credit to them. 

36 minutes ago, Keith B said:

If this subject worries you so much - you could write to the FA yourself. That way you would get the facts of the matter, instead of various opinions.  

3 hours ago, a little bit of a dinho said:

Is there a ruling that states this somewhere though? I've searched and found nothing.

Hi Keith, 

If you had taken the time to read the thread you would have seen the above post I made. There are no rules regarding VEO to my knowledge. I think it is worthwhile to generate discussion on the topic as their usage becomes more common. Thanks for you suggestion. 

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Surely any visiting side would respect the home side's request, whether private land or not? It's not worth falling out about!

In my experience so far this hasn't been the case.

3 hours ago, a little bit of a dinho said:

You would think that but I've already experienced it on two occasions this season where the club filming have not been forthcoming with footage. Once as a home side and once as a visiting side.

Did you go back to them and ask again? They might have genuinely forgotten.