Cornwall Football Forum

FA CUP VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: TORPOINT ATHLETIC V HELSTON ATHLETIC

Piran

Torpoint behaviour in this match was terrible...... Constant moaning all game. 

This is where I feel they lost the game. 

Strangely this happened even though the ref had an excellent game...... Got most decisions spot on.. Kept calm.. Explained decisions(I do feel Paceys awful challenge was a red though) 

Not a great amount of good football played but still a very good fa cup tie. 

Helston weren't the long ball team they were made out to be. If they could replace Jordan Bentley with a good defender... Probably the unavailable Josh Storey(also no Elliot or Colwell and Copp. Only a late sub) 

Damerell continues to. Impress although also got too involved with the "offside" goal which clearly wasn't offside 

That tackle from the torpoint Idiot was a disgrace. That a leg breaker off the floor no control ,and he deliberately gone in like that , the young lad is very lucky his season not ended. . He should be facing a ban how was that a yellow ?? . 
well done helston .
torpoint need to get back to finding ways to get Richards firing. Instead of pretend hard men trying to break players legs. 

Tackle should of been a red. Nobody can argue that.  The offside discussion though... You can clearly see a helston player run to the ball then stop is that not interfering with play? If so then it's offside... And I can understand why torpoint are frustrated as the linesman had his flag up. 

Another very even game by the looks of it though between these 2 sides where helston came out on top 2-1 in both games. 

49 minutes ago, Southwest football fan said:

Tackle should of been a red. Nobody can argue that.  The offside discussion though... You can clearly see a helston player run to the ball then stop is that not interfering with play? If so then it's offside... And I can understand why torpoint are frustrated as the linesman had his flag up. 

Another very even game by the looks of it though between these 2 sides where helston came out on top 2-1 in both games. 

I agree, if the Helston player is in an offside position when the pass is played forward and starts running towards the ball, isn’t that interfering with play?, especially in this instance when the offside player could have possibly got close to reaching the pass. I looks like the Torpoint players stopped when they saw the offside player running towards the ball, however, you’ve got to play to the whistle. Playing the offside trap is often a dangerous game to play.

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

There's a phrase I haven't heard for a while! :)

It'll be interesting to hear our referees thoughts on the offside/interfering with play incident.

The current offside law requires the player in an offside position to physically interfere with play I.E touch the ball or physically challenge the defender.

Whilst a lot of ‘football people’ will agree that there are certainly areas of law that can be improved. I don’t think anyone can argue with the decision made yesterday. Completely correct in law from the referee. The signal from the lines person was both incorrect and far too quick.

6 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I wonder if that early signal affected the Torpoint’s defenders?

Potentially. However a signal from an assistant, whether correct or incorrect,  doesn’t stop the game. Only the referee has the power to stop the game.

It comes to the age old adage of ‘play to the whistle’.

36 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I wonder if that early signal affected the Torpoint’s defenders?

If you watch the video Pacey in particular was totally unprofessional... Completely stopped. 

Even kids know you play the whistle. 

I thought the ref was excellent throughout (except paceys  tackle shdve been a red) and he proved it here by making the right decision even though the linesman didn't help him 

And the ref was happy to explain to the players and management why he had come to the decision 

4 hours ago, St Darren said:

If you're near the ball or in the penalty area you're affecting play. 

Jimmy Hill used to say that if you are not affecting play then you shouldn’t be on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Footy follower said:

If you watch the video Pacey in particular was totally unprofessional... Completely stopped. 

Even kids know you play the whistle. 

I thought the ref was excellent throughout (except paceys  tackle shdve been a red) and he proved it here by making the right decision even though the linesman didn't help him 

And the ref was happy to explain to the players and management why he had come to the decision 

James Long had a good game and knows that it should have been a red and not a yellow card for that dangerous tackle. He will watch and discuss the 90 minutes of footage of the game with Premier League Assistant referee Simon Long (nor related).

James Long had a good game and knows that it should have been a red and not a yellow card for that dangerous tackle. He will watch and discuss the 90 minutes of footage of the game with Premier League Assistant referee Simon Long (nor related).

7 hours ago, Piran said:

Jimmy Hill used to say that if you are not affecting play then you shouldn’t be on the pitch.

James Long had a good game and knows that it should have been a red and not a yellow card for that dangerous tackle. He will watch and discuss the 90 minutes of footage of the game with Premier League Assistant referee Simon Long (nor related).

James Long had a good game and knows that it should have been a red and not a yellow card for that dangerous tackle. He will watch and discuss the 90 minutes of footage of the game with Premier League Assistant referee Simon Long (nor related).

A very good ref indeed

10 hours ago, FootballChat said:

The current offside law requires the player in an offside position to physically interfere with play I.E touch the ball or physically challenge the defender.

Whilst a lot of ‘football people’ will agree that there are certainly areas of law that can be improved. I don’t think anyone can argue with the decision made yesterday. Completely correct in law from the referee. The signal from the lines person was both incorrect and far too quick.

Well he physically ran towards the ball so is that not interfereing... 

Look at the Brighton goal disallowed yesterday, player went for the ball and completely missed the ball whilst not challenging the defender, and the ref/VAR deemed it enough to be interfering with play. 

Agree that the torpoint players should of played to the whistle though. 

7 hours ago, Southwest football fan said:

Well he physically ran towards the ball so is that not interfereing... 

Look at the Brighton goal disallowed yesterday, player went for the ball and completely missed the ball whilst not challenging the defender, and the ref/VAR deemed it enough to be interfering with play. 

Agree that the torpoint players should of played to the whistle though. 

He didn’t physically touch the ball or attempt to touch the ball. Nor did he physically challenge a defender.

Trying to compare situation in the Premier League to this level of football is futile. Whilst the laws of the game don’t change, we can all plainly see that they are applied differently at the elite level of football.

The issue we have here is that the assistants flag probably caused the attacker to cease his run. Without it he may well have physically played the ball.

*EDIT*
Having just seen the Brighton goal, the two incidents cannot be compared. The Brighton player makes a clear, physical attempt to play/challenge for the ball in extremely close proximity.
This is vastly different to an attacker halting their run to allow a team mate to play the ball. The Helston player doesn’t attempt to play the ball and doesn’t challenge a defender. 
merely moving towards the ball doesn’t, in law, qualify as playing the ball.