Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League Sat 3rd Sept

Carharrack 4, Holmans 0

Much better! After last week's nail-biter, this was a much more solid performance from Carharrack. They blew Holmans away in the first half-hour, Dario opening the scoring in just the 2nd minute with a great drive from outside the box. On 12 it was 2 - 0 after a cross from the left looked over-hit before a lad latched onto the ball on the far side of the box and finished well. Three minutes on and a right wing corner was headed powerfully home for 3 - 0, and Dario poached his second on 27 when Holmans dithered in defence and Dario gained possession where he'd no right to have done and scored easily from close range.

Holmans did look capable of scoring during the last ten minutes of the half but the home defence, especially the 'keeper, were able to cope.

The second half and Carharrack were defending the slope. Holmans pressed as one might have expected and came close a couple of times, but Carharrack withstood the early attacks and began to create some chances themselves. Then the Heavens opened and conditions became difficult for both sides. Chances came and went at both ends and although Carharrack couldn't add to their score, neither could Holmans get off the mark. Comfortable 3 points for the Rossonero!

Apologies to Val in the tea hut for my mistake: bacon butties are £2.50, not £3. One of the few advantages of advancing years is that you can blame that for any mistakes you make!

Home and dried out, I could reflect on a happy afternoon's entertainment. Sometimes football at this level is frustrating, when you see so many mistakes that could so easily be eliminated on the training ground: like the player I won't identify who caught my attention by being caught in possession yet again, leading to a scoring chance for Holmans, whose next seven contacts with the ball ended in passes to the opposition or more c.i.p's. Still, my evening has begun on a mellow footing, so back again next week!

Division One 

Penzance Reserves 5-1 Constantine 

Att- 37

Penzance worthy winners and should have had double figures but for some heroic double and triple save goal keeping and defenders blocking on the line. 

4-0 down at half time, our visitors played a high back four frustrating the Magpies in the second half, as they had used the through ball to score almost at will in the first 45.

Constantine got theirs on 63, a fine volley. 

Pz will probably think they should had more to help their goal difference. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to Trelawny League Sat 3rd Sept

Newlyn Non Athletico (2) 6 -vs- 1 (0) St Buryan [Div.1}

Todays victims, I mean opponents, at the St Clare Aquarium were St Buryan, those from up the road to Porthcurno, of old Straw Dogs fame. The Aquarium was potentially aptly named today, as I looked out the window at about 1pm, all I saw was water. The torrential downpour, all be it the first real rainfall we have seen in a while, I imagined to be turning the playing surface into a lake. Thankfully, by kick-off time, the rain had basically stopped, leaving a nice sheen to the playing surface.

Newlyn appeared to have all 83 signed-on players available today, so getting into the starting 11 was tough. I grabbed the flag off the ref, and put some pegs into the nets whilst the team was sorted out.

Newlyn started well, seemed up for the game, and within a few minutes, had set top scorer Jack Liddicoat up to fire past the ex-Newlyn player now between the sticks for Buryan. One nil, hmmm, could be a long day for the visitors. However, I'm not sure if we thought that was it, but the foot was taken well and truly off the gas by Newlyn. Buryan grew into the game. Sadly, in a bit of a one-off for me in all the games I have been involved in, both keepers were forced off in the first half through injuries whilst contesting the ball with on-rushing attackers. First, the Buyan keeper departed, followed just before half time by the Newlyn keeper. In the meantime, Newlyn had added a second goal with Andrew Palmer striking a looping (deflected?) effort over the keeper.

Second half was much better from Newlyn, who were moving the ball much quicker, and creating a lot more chances. JL added 2 more for his 256th hat trick for the club, and AP grabbed his second of the game. We just needed that elusive clean sheet, and Denzil the stand-in keeper almost achieved it, but came off second best when Newlyn over-played at the back, and St B grabbed a one-on-one and managed to tuck the ball into the corner. At 5-1, there was just time for Sam Smith to link a couple of passes together on a break down the line, and neatly chip an advancing keeper for Newlyn's sixth of the game.

I made my mens football debut against St Buryan in 1983, playing for St Levan, and scored in a big win (11 -1 or something like that). One of my St Levan team mates on that day, Ian Hall, was running the line for Buryan today! And did a great job too 😀