Cornwall Football Forum

Englands Women team

fenman

Without a shadow of a doubt England's women's team did well .But arn't the media and others whipping up hysteria over it ?. Lauren Hemp from up here in Norfolk is having a street named after her , probably some of the others will have the same . Some people are calling for them to be made Dames .We also hear that their winning will create role models and lead to thousands of girls  taking the game up . One club here in Norfolk is saying that they are inundated with women and girls wanting to join as a result of the win . I could be wrong , but haven't we seen this sort of thing before  with tennis and hockey ?. None of the craze and novelty lasted long  with these sports .To my mind if you want to participate in anything , sport or otherwise you have to have a keen interest in it rather than a kneejerk reaction to one event  . Some will go on to play  every week but the majority will drift away once the commitment is needed every week .The men's game is slowly dying  for a combination of reasons . It remains to be seen if I'm right but I honestly can't see the women's game at lower levels expanding as much as the media  say .

You will have to excuse me being in a  grumpy mood  , but I'm fed up with having to pay for a T.V.  licence  to be fed hours of Commonwealth games , football, football and yet more football , cricket and horse racing  , without mentioning what passes for entertainment involving celebrities , cooking , sewing ,shearing sheep , painting , gardening , rebuilding houses and travelling  around the country in groups behaving like children  when the British Moto G.P.  and other motorcycle and car sport is ignored . 

ps I know that other minority sports such as bowls and snooker are covered by the B.B.C , and they make good job of it .

Swallows and martins will being leaving soon Older , we've had very ,very few up here , but there were a few more swifts  flying high in the evenings .

If it was the Women's World Cup, then the hysteria would be understandable.  I doubt the men's team would've been knighted if they had won the Euros.

20 years ago, I wanted to play football. But according to our P.E. teachers at the time, girls over the age of 13 years weren't allowed to play, and I love football (I still do). So the whole "passing phase" thing wouldn't have been an issue. 

Although, thinking about it, I should've taken up Hockey. A couple of my bullies were on the Hockey team. Then again, you can't really get away with crocking the opposition, let alone your team mates 😅

That's my point Devils , you wanted to play football  and sadly for you it was frowned on 20 years ago . Which is sad really because , and I'm sure Older and Keith B would agree , when become old you reflect that you are only here once  and don't get a second run at life . So you'll never know whether  you would have had an enjoyable football career ( badly worded but you know what I mean )  in short you were robbed ..                                                                                                            My point was the hysteria surrounding the win , and the fact that , according to the media ,  thousands of young girls would clamour to play football because of it . I believe that girls like yourself  20 years ago , are already playing today because they want to rather than taking a fancy to it because of that tournament .

Digressing a bit , a few years ago I was watching my grandsons team play . I can't remember the age group probably under 15's . Playing at left midfield for the opposition was an outstanding player . He had everything , balance , speed  knowledge of where his players and opposition were , very skillful .I was very impressed and thought that he had a bright future . In the second half he was on my side of the pitch , as he ran toward me to take a throw in I thought " he's a little bit curvy  for a boy " .The other players and supporters called him " Joe "  . It turned out that HER  name was Josephine .  I wonder today who she plays for as an adult , she  must progress to higher things in the game . The best young player I've seen in years . No ego in spite of being the teams best player  , skill in abundance and great vision .

A considerable amount of publicity & feel good factor for the Womens Game came from the Euro Attendances.

The reality is that it was either free admission or low cost ticketing that pulled the crowds in, especially organised junior club trips.

Think it'll be a different story if people have to pay Premier League, even Championship level ticket prices, especially around London.

Women want equal wages in Football, the above will be a major hurdle for them.

Far too much BBC Propoganda doing the rounds.

If women's football becomes as popular as the media and county F.A.,s predict they will have to bring in a new rule that splits  90 minutes into 10 min segments so that the players can check their phones and update social media and take selfies during the game .

Apologies for any offence caused this is meant to be a light hearted comment , but this post was prompted by me sitting in a tea room on the Broads . 2 cruisers  moored up and 2 groups of young women  disembarked . They were 2 separate groups  5 in one 4 in the other .They were checking their phones while they were tying the cruisers up , again when they entered the cafe and spent most of their mealtime trawling through them 

2 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

A considerable amount of publicity & feel good factor for the Womens Game came from the Euro Attendances.

The reality is that it was either free admission or low cost ticketing that pulled the crowds in, especially organised junior club trips.

Think it'll be a different story if people have to pay Premier League, even Championship level ticket prices, especially around London.

Women want equal wages in Football, the above will be a major hurdle for them.

Far too much BBC Propoganda doing the rounds.

Adult prices at Arsenal Women’s WSL games £12, concessions £6.

As for women wanting equal wages, whatever next? Political correctness gone mad. 

3 minutes ago, fenman said:

If women's football becomes as popular as the media and county F.A.,s predict they will have to bring in a new rule that splits  90 minutes into 10 min segments so that the players can check their phones and update social media and take selfies during the game .

Apologies for any offence caused this is meant to be a light hearted comment , but this post was prompted by me sitting in a tea room on the Broads . 2 cruisers  moored up and 2 groups of young women  disembarked . They were 2 separate groups  5 in one 4 in the other .They were checking their phones while they were tying the cruisers up , again when they entered the cafe and spent most of their mealtime trawling through them 

You’re right. I too have never seen a male footballer with an Instagram or Twitter account, let alone wasting their precious training time advertising clothing or cosmetic products.

I'd just like to clarify  my comments . I am in no way anti women's sport  . I think it's wonderful that they compete in any type of sport . It's not unique , there have been great athletes , tennis players , golfers , swimmers , hockey players etc. over the years . In the bowls world and darts at international level there are a number of women competing  on an equal level with men .At grass roots many women play bowls , tennis . Even in my sport motorcycle racing there have been a number of female competitors even back to the 1930's . Today there are an increasing number of young women racing motorcycles , good for them I like to see it . My whole point about my post is that because of the cup win we have this mass hysteria generated by the media highlighting  a great achievement   and saying that this will see a huge increase in women playing football , ignoring the fact that women have played sport for years with in many cases little publicity .

Unfortunatley there are many men who delight in ridiculing  women who take up what they regard as a mans domain . A case in point , again relating to my sport , In British Superbike racing a few seasons ago a  woman called Jenny Tinmouth  was competing . She was often nearer the back to the front . As a result knuckledraggers would make comments about her , Jamie Whitham an ex top level rider now a Eurosport commenter  heard a group of them one day and said " You laugh at her and say she shouldn't be out there , you might think she's slow but you wouldn't want to be her pillion passenger " .

Well that's passed a few minutes of time , time to take the wife out for her alligator wrestling training .