Cornwall Football Forum

Sad day at Penlee Park tomorrow, 6th August.

By Daz Smith, Manager of Penzance Reserves

Afternoon everyone.

This is the toughest post I've ever had to write... 

Tomorrow we welcome Perranporth to Penlee Park in what was initially billed as our final pre season friendly.

However after Wednesdays devastating tragic news of the loss of young Alfie Beard, the game will now be played in his memory.

Although Alfie only joined Penzance at the start of the season, many of us have played/coached and been best mates with Alfie for many years.

We were absolutely thrilled when Alfie agreed to sign for us and I know he was looking forward to the upcoming season. 

Tomorrow therefore will be the toughest game for us to be a part of but one that Alfie would have wanted to go ahead.

Alfie was a true gent, both on and off the pitch, and he'll be sorely missed by so many, but I know he'll be watching us. 

Although tomorrow will be free entry, we will be asking for donations to pass onto Alfies family.

Its a 2pm Kick off and we will be observing a minutes silence pre match, before a standing ovation in the tenth minute of the match in memory of Alfie.

His number 10 shirt has now been retired from the team and we will parade this before the match.

Please feel free to spread the word so we can get as many people down to Penlee to pay our respect to Alfie.

R.I.P Alfie. 

We'll never forget you.

🖤🤍😢

By Daz Smith, Manager of Penzance Reserves

Evening everyone.
Today we welcomed Perranporth to Penlee Park in a friendly memorial game in memory of our young striker Alfie Beard.
The game was played in good spirit with a crowd of around 200 in attendance.

Perranporth grabbed an early goal from a set play, resulting in a free header in the box to snatch the lead.
Several close shaves at the other end saw Elliott hit the post, before Haiders shot narrowly miss the bottom corner.
Some confusion in the Perranporth defence saw a looped ball headed in from a tight angle thanks to Haiders bravery making the score 1-1.
There were chances at both ends, but in a highly emotional game, no team was able to capitalise, as the game seemed to go understandably flat for periods of time in the second half.
The game finished one a piece, with us creating the better chances, but not being quite clinical enough to complete the job.
However, we would like to thank all those who attended today, and who sent messages of support to us and Alfies family! It really meant alot.

A few special mentions and thankyous from today...

Firstly our opposition, Perranporth , who played a massive part in today's proceedings, presenting flowers and donating £85 to our collection pot.❤️ They have also agreed to make this a charity fundraiser game every season where we will raise money for a charity of Alfies family's choice.
Secondly the supporters, players, family and friends of Penzance today, who donated an incredible £620 to our collection pot and showed great support throughout proceedings .🖤🤍

And finally, Daniel and Sherry Parsons from St. Just AFC, who also collected £143 in donations from their friendly today. A truly touching gesture! 💚

I'm sure Alfie would have been looking down today with a big grin on his face as so many of us remember him.

It's not very often  that I post regarding a match that I was involved in, however having been asked to officiate at Penlee Park on Saturday, without knowing anything about the incident that led to the tragic death of someone so young, until 24hrs prior to the game I feel that I must make everyone aware of the amount of respect  shown in such tragic circumstances. 

Firstly  many thanks to Penzance and Perranporth  for the way that both teams players and management  dealt with a very difficult day.

Secondly to the players, management and supporters of both teams for the respect shown throughout the game. 

And finally to all of the volunteers who gave their time to make sure that everything went smoothly,  don't forget that without these people grassroots football will die.

It's taken me a couple  of days to work out what I wanted to say but hopefully this represents what local football is all about.