Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook v Falmouth

Not totally unexpected Rocky, Millbrook have had a season at Western league level and more than held their own in most of the games. Looking at the Falmouth team sheet tonight there are 4 or 5 players missing that would have started if Westy had them available I would imagine. But as you say a fantastic result on paper for Millbrook although I think we’ll see a few more results we might not totally expect with the season starting so early. I’m sure all our Cornish teams will find their feet as the season progresses. Sorry was at Liskeard so can’t report but from what I’ve heard it was a more than fair result on the night 👍

7 minutes ago, rocky170267 said:

What a fantastic result for Millbrook this evening against Falmouth. Surely that must be an unexpected result? It’s all very quiet so who is going to leave a match report?

Not surprised really, after glancing through Falmouth’s team sheet, quite a few familiar names missing and Millbrook are a good team, especially at home. 

Saltash picked up a great point away at moushole . Both teams i expect to be challenging at the end of season 

I think this season will come down to the team strongest away from home. 2nd game in and only millbrook away midweek and Falmouth already short on players . 
the same will happen when the Bristol teams travel down there  . 

Millbrook 3.  Falmouth Town 1.

A very impressive display tonight from what it sounds like is a much-changed Millbrook team from last season.

Played on a parched playing surface, it was Millbrook who adapted better on the night. In general they looked much quicker and sharper than an again much-depleted Town side.

No excuses but it was a fact that six players, most of whom would have probably started, were missing for Town tonight. Brabyn, Barner, Walker, Nixon, Kellow and new signing Cam Hutchison. However, it is debatable whether their inclusion would have been enough to gain any points for Town, such was Millbrook 's superiority. 

Millbrook took the lead early on after Town lost possession on their right side, the ball being swiftly worked forward resulting in one of their forwards stealing in at the far-post unmarked to place the ball past Barnes in the Town goal. 

It was 2-0 soon after. A free kick given away on the right-hand side which ended up in the net after a couple of deflections resulted in the ball falling at the feet of a Millbrook player who lashed it home.

2-0 at half-time and the 2nd half followed a similar pattern with Town unable to get much possession; Millbrook quickly closing down the Town players and forcing mistakes, then piecing together some incisive attacks which resulted in two wonder saves from Barnes. Millbrook making it 3 during a goalmouth scramble following the 2nd save.

Both sides made lots of changes after that and Town managed to get one back after an impressive 30 yard (maybe more) direct free kick from Tom Annear who along with the ever-impressive James Ward was the pick of the Falmouth players.

It was said last season that the Cornish sides took a few games to adapt to the uplift in standards of the new league, so let's hope that a few more games, coupled with the return of the above-mentioned players could turn Town's fortunes around soon.

In summary, 5 of the starting line-up tonight were under 22, 3 of those being under 18. On the bench were a further 3 under 18s. Invaluable experience gained which bodes well for the future.

Decent turn-out from the Town fans and the F-troop did a couple of good renditions of "Don't worry about a thing" and "Always look on the bright side of life" after Town went 3-0 down.

Saltash in the FA cup on Saturday...............!!!

Very good and honest report.

in my opinion and it’s mine, the football season starts way too early, I think it should start in earnest the same time as the schools go back with the exception of maybe playing FA cup and Vase games.

who can blame players for taking their holidays in school summer holiday time ?

Do you think Falmouth would have benefited from signing a few older more experienced players this season. It’s great they gone down the youth route picking up young players from Truro but it does leave the squad very light when players are injured or missing.  
This millbrook team are themselves rebuilding after losing their top striker so that a great result for them a much bigger test awaits Falmouth Saturday 

1 hour ago, Footy Detective said:

in my opinion and it’s mine, the football season starts way too early, I think it should start in earnest the same time as the schools go back with the exception of maybe playing FA cup and Vase games.

Why were these players missing? Didn’t they play on Saturday? Not sure holidays are to blame for all of them and it did not appear to affect Millbrook, Saltash or Mousehole.  

9 hours ago, le boss said:

Must be a bit of a concern if so many are missing and it’s only the second game in. 

Not really a concern bash .we always knew ,our main players would be away first few games .A lot are in the teaching profession so have to get their holidays in now.I don't begrudge them that .

25 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Do you think Falmouth would have benefited from signing a few older more experienced players this season. It’s great they gone down the youth route picking up young players from Truro but it does leave the squad very light when players are injured or missing.  
This millbrook team are themselves rebuilding after losing their top striker so that a great result for them a much bigger test awaits Falmouth Saturday 

Cheap option? 

41 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Way too early to make judgements on any team. No matter how your pre season has gone, takes a few weeks of real stuff to get up to speed.  Always think though that league tables aren't worth looking at until 10 games have been played, always look on in amazement when Sky Sports analyse a league table that's one match old. Pretty sure that ,once upon a time, league tables weren't even published until 3 matches had been played.

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Cheap option? 

Probably correct. 
Falmouth did struggle a bit when they came up against western league clubs last season. I think they will be ok at home big crowd every Saturday driving them on  

away games will be interesting as season go on  if as stated above most are in teaching professions and can’t get away midweek early. 

very early days yet. 

We have Luke Brabyn, Luke Barner, Scott Kellow, Tim Nixon, Dave Broglino plus new signing Cam Hutchinson and the return of Ollie Walker to come back in the next 2 weeks. The youngsters who filled in did well last night at Millbrook and will prove valuable assets to the squad in the future. Its a difficult period for the team but we knew this was happening. 

Falmouth Town will be fine.

10 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Millbrook 3.  Falmouth Town 1.

A very impressive display tonight from what it sounds like is a much-changed Millbrook team from last season.

Played on a parched playing surface, it was Millbrook who adapted better on the night. In general they looked much quicker and sharper than an again much-depleted Town side.

No excuses but it was a fact that six players, most of whom would have probably started, were missing for Town tonight. Brabyn, Barner, Walker, Nixon, Kellow and new signing Cam Hutchison. However, it is debatable whether their inclusion would have been enough to gain any points for Town, such was Millbrook 's superiority. 

Millbrook took the lead early on after Town lost possession on their right side, the ball being swiftly worked forward resulting in one of their forwards stealing in at the far-post unmarked to place the ball past Barnes in the Town goal. 

It was 2-0 soon after. A free kick given away on the right-hand side which ended up in the net after a couple of deflections resulted in the ball falling at the feet of a Millbrook player who lashed it home.

2-0 at half-time and the 2nd half followed a similar pattern with Town unable to get much possession; Millbrook quickly closing down the Town players and forcing mistakes, then piecing together some incisive attacks which resulted in two wonder saves from Barnes. Millbrook making it 3 during a goalmouth scramble following the 2nd save.

Both sides made lots of changes after that and Town managed to get one back after an impressive 30 yard (maybe more) direct free kick from Tom Annear who along with the ever-impressive James Ward was the pick of the Falmouth players.

It was said last season that the Cornish sides took a few games to adapt to the uplift in standards of the new league, so let's hope that a few more games, coupled with the return of the above-mentioned players could turn Town's fortunes around soon.

In summary, 5 of the starting line-up tonight were under 22, 3 of those being under 18. On the bench were a further 3 under 18s. Invaluable experience gained which bodes well for the future.

Decent turn-out from the Town fans and the F-troop did a couple of good renditions of "Don't worry about a thing" and "Always look on the bright side of life" after Town went 3-0 down.

Saltash in the FA cup on Saturday...............!!!

Out of interest who were the under 18s seeing the team/ squad on Twitter can only see 2 and both were subs ? 

58 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

We have Luke Brabyn, Luke Barner, Scott Kellow, Tim Nixon, Dave Broglino plus new signing Cam Hutchinson and the return of Ollie Walker to come back in the next 2 weeks. The youngsters who filled in did well last night at Millbrook and will prove valuable assets to the squad in the future. Its a difficult period for the team but we knew this was happening. 

Falmouth Town will be fine.

Seen enough of cam Hutchinson at camelford, really good signing he will be .

I watched this one. 

millbrook looked like a more battle hardened side with 12 months experience in the WL compared to Falmouth who have perhaps been able to win some games without hitting top gear  

Falmouth will come good I’m sure once they get to grips with the required intensity, missing 4/5 starters is bound to effect performance as well. 

However an Impressive display from millbrook 

55 minutes ago, 6times said:

Out of interest who were the under 18s seeing the team/ squad on Twitter can only see 2 and both were subs ? 

Think they were Kayden Gordon-Dunn, James Swann & Charlie Edney. Jasper Turner & Ollie Pickup on the bench. Not sure how old Alex Wharton is either. Jack Webber and Andreas Calleja-Stayne only in their early twenties as well.

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Signing big name players doesn't guarantee success.  The nucleus of the team is the same as last season, so they're used to playing together.  It was always going to take a bit of time to settle in to the Western League.  Admittedly Sherborne Town seem to have come out flying, but they were in Western League Div1, so will have no doubt played Western Prem teams in cups and gained some experience by that. 

Millbrook have a lot of youngsters playing in the first team last night but also had the experienced players from last season. They are more balanced, playing with pace and have more options this season. It will be exciting to watch this team develop this year. Don't think they will miss Sheperd or Payne if they continue to play like this.

7 hours ago, Footy Detective said:

If you’re a teacher you have no choice. 

5 hours ago, le boss said:

A lot???? So all those six named are all teachers? 🤔🤔🤔

No bash not all  3 actually .1 job hunting and one on holiday because he wasn't expecting his season to start so early being a swpl player who has transfered to us .Good to see your so concerned about the champions of cornwall though .😁

8 minutes ago, mattelot said:

No bash not all  3 actually .1 job hunting and one on holiday because he wasn't expecting his season to start so early being a swpl player who has transfered to us .Good to see your so concerned about the champions of cornwall though .😁

Shouldn't need to explain the reasons to Le Boss, it's none of his business. 

6 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Shame they’ll miss Saturday’s game too if they’re on holiday. Job hunting? Hope he doesn’t want to be a PA if he can’t even organise his own life to be able to play for his small brown envelope 🤣🤣🤣

Just now, Buckland Jim said:

Shouldn't need to explain the reasons to Le Boss, it's none of his business. 

There’s a lot of things that are not other people’s business but it doesn’t stop them being discussed on here. Same rules for everyone???

12 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Is Broglino playing this season?

I have it on good authority that he has just become a father and doesn't want to do the travelling involved this season.

Hence Swan and Hutchinson being brought in.

Will be a hell of a miss,probably our best dead-ball/set piece player,however nice to see in these modern times someone putting family first,football is only there for 15-20 yrs approx, family is for life.

' Up The Town '

19 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

To be fair helston finances and every fine detail of the club are discussed on here and if it was helston that had 5 first team players out for other reason we probably all be laughing so he does have a point. 

Took in the Helston game on Saturday, Bridgewater coasting in 2nd gear to a 4-0 win - I hope Helston did have 5 first team players missing. Aaron Bentley & Tom Payne didnt play, Josh Storey limped off early doors - could be a long couple of games for Helston with a relatively thin squad already, with the bench made up of mainly youngsters. Wouldn't be poking fun elsewhere when you never know whats around the corner for your club

13 hours ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

I have it on good authority that he has just become a father and doesn't want to do the travelling involved this season.

Hence Swan and Hutchinson being brought in.

Will be a hell of a miss,probably our best dead-ball/set piece player,however nice to see in these modern times someone putting family first,football is only there for 15-20 yrs approx, family is for life.

' Up The Town '

Rumour mill says there's a few who don't want to travel?

20 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

It is a massive amount of effort for players to play in the western league from Cornwall pretty much your entire Saturday taking up . Especially if you have a young  family . 

So why then is there so much criticism of clubs who sign players from Devon and further away? Last season it was a complete no no but all of a sudden family life, work etc etc is being cited and it’s now all ok. People on this forum really need to remember what they say and at least be consistent. 

30 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Rumour mill says there's a few who don't want to travel?

You can’t say anything negative…….🤣🤣🤣

33 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

It is a massive amount of effort for players to play in the western league from Cornwall pretty much your entire Saturday taking up . Especially if you have a young  family . 

Agree that it is a huge commitment in terms of time, but 8 out of the 19 clubs that Falmouth will play are in Devon or Cornwall (with Bridgwater and Wellington not being much further up the M5 into Somerset). Is there a danger that people talk themselves into a state regarding the travelling?

If people either can't or won't commit to it, then fair enough. Players come and players go, the club is more important.

Watching the excellent "Way Out West" documentary series about Mousehole, it appeared they made a positive out of the away trips, and that the players and supporters embraced it.

15 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Do all the clubs run a coach to away games now with the fans ? I know parkway found that quite a good bonding session and help with costs. There can’t be any that still travel in convey by car !?

Can't speak for the Cornish clubs, but Buckland usually hire a minibus for the players but did hire a coach for last Saturday's trip to Ashton & Backwell which was shared with supporters. 

43 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Agree that it is a huge commitment in terms of time, but 8 out of the 19 clubs that Falmouth will play are in Devon or Cornwall (with Bridgwater and Wellington not being much further up the M5 into Somerset). Is there a danger that people talk themselves into a state regarding the travelling?

If people either can't or won't commit to it, then fair enough. Players come and players go, the club is more important.

Watching the excellent "Way Out West" documentary series about Mousehole, it appeared they made a positive out of the away trips, and that the players and supporters embraced it.

The travelling was a blast.  I was given some good advice before last season that you make the journeys good fun and the football almost becomes the secondary event of the day.  

in the end I and I know others enjoyed the away trips more then home games 

12 minutes ago, Dane said:

The travelling was a blast.  I was given some good advice before last season that you make the journeys good fun and the football almost becomes the secondary event of the day.  

in the end I and I know others enjoyed the away trips more then home games 

Seem to remember that Mousehole scheduled some friendlies in the Bristol area before the 2021/22 season, obviously a dry run in terms of how to prepare and what to expect.

The only time we got home later then 8.30 was Brislington because the match was stopped due to a serious injury to a player.  

saltash agreed to put a bus on for any trip over 200 miles round trip

we had about 9 of those and it almost worked out to once a month we would be on a coach.  

was absolutely brilliant! 

40 minutes ago, Dane said:

The only time we got home later then 8.30 was Brislington because the match was stopped due to a serious injury to a player.  

saltash agreed to put a bus on for any trip over 200 miles round trip

we had about 9 of those and it almost worked out to once a month we would be on a coach.  

was absolutely brilliant! 

I would say that being located around Plymouth is probably the perfect geographical region to be in for the Western League. For trips in Bristol, just to get to Saltash from Mousehole is just under 2 hours so thats an extra 4 hours of travelling.

I've got no sympathy for clubs who go up and whinge about the western league travelling, surely this is discussed with players and both parties accept the commitment needed? 

Firmly believe that having a coach full of players and supporters is only going to unite any club further. Fans and players making a day of it and also makes the journey go much faster!

27 minutes ago, SCFC said:

I've got no sympathy for clubs who go up and whinge about the western league travelling, surely this is discussed with players and both parties accept the commitment needed?

Back to our old chestnut regarding commitment that's needed to progress up the football ladder.
On a recent forum thread it was suggested that the chances of a young cornish lad playing in the football league were remote if not non existent.
If they are unable or don't want to expose themselves to a higher grade of football  which includes travelling up to the next county, then that comment is unfortunately correct.
Take a look at Carlile F.C. out on a limb and roughly the same distance from London as Cornwall and yet they can attract youngsters from all over the country who want to try their hand in the professional world, you could say the same about Mouseholes ambitions for their youngsters.
Good luck to everyone who is willing to at least give it a try, you will find it worthwhile if you make it.

Players who want to travel will , those that don’t won’t and choose to play elsewhere.

Those who are offered money to play will take it. 
I would love to hear of tradesmen who turned down payment for their services  because they thought it was immoral ?

Brown envelopes have been around for decades usually called “ boot money “ or “ beer money “ it’s absolutely nothing new.

BTW the coach share with supporters is a excellent idea.

3 hours ago, We Two said:

Back to our old chestnut regarding commitment that's needed to progress up the football ladder.
On a recent forum thread it was suggested that the chances of a young cornish lad playing in the football league were remote if not non existent.
If they are unable or don't want to expose themselves to a higher grade of football  which includes travelling up to the next county, then that comment is unfortunately correct.
Take a look at Carlile F.C. out on a limb and roughly the same distance from London as Cornwall and yet they can attract youngsters from all over the country who want to try their hand in the professional world, you could say the same about Mouseholes ambitions for their youngsters.
Good luck to everyone who is willing to at least give it a try, you will find it worthwhile if you make it.

Where is Carlile fc? 

9 hours ago, SCFC said:

Took in the Helston game on Saturday, Bridgewater coasting in 2nd gear to a 4-0 win - I hope Helston did have 5 first team players missing. Aaron Bentley & Tom Payne didnt play, Josh Storey limped off early doors - could be a long couple of games for Helston with a relatively thin squad already, with the bench made up of mainly youngsters. Wouldn't be poking fun elsewhere when you never know whats around the corner for your club

And look what was around that corner .Plymouth Parkway have announced they've signed Reece Shanley following his departure from Helston .😁