Cornwall Football Forum

Groundsman Chat

Good evening all, I have recently been appointed to look after the grass at Godolphin Atlantic AFC.

My back round is 7 years as of Chairman of Greens at Truro Golf Club where I was very hands on and learnt an awful lot. 

I would love to meet you all and share idea's of groundsman around the County, especially given the recent drought conditions!

Kind Regards

Gary Andrew

Can certainly vouch for that! What Older don’t know ain’t worth knowing! Was lucky enough to be a player at Penryn in my time and play on Olders carpets every week!! We were lucky lads that’s for sure, unless he caught you kicking a couple into the net after the warm up and you’d get a clip around the ear!! 😁 We certainly couldn’t blame the pitch for our bad touches that’s for sure!! Think all the old ex players would agree that Penryns pitch was the best surface in Cornwall for many years 👍👏🏼👌

Going slightly off the original post here . Your mention of Older rollicking you for kicking in after warm up , Rappo . Reminds me of  a radio programme some years ago on Radio Norfolk about the legendary Norwich City groundsman Russell Allison . Some of the players at that time Kevin Keelan , Martin Peters , Duncan Forbes etc. were telling stories about how they were lectured by him  before they had to paint the rails and stand barriers during the off season ( yes  even superstars were expected to look after the ground  during close season in those days ) not under any circumstances were they to walk on his hallowed ground  when they went for lunch .Duncan Forbes a giant Scotsman  a defender who terrified most forwards , said that once he did run across the pitch  desperate for the toilet , when he was painting a fence on the halfway line . He'd almost  got across when a voice boomed out " get off my f***** pitch you useless Scotsman , your'e got  90 minutes on a Saturday  to bugger it up , you don't need to mid week as well " I suppose there is no recording available of that programme and it's a pity that somebody didn't write his memoirs or a contribution of stories about him .I did meet him a few times when I did pitch side  patrol prior to Norwich's home games in the 70's  . He used to politely ask us to keep off the pitch  before the game because " them bloody great coppers boots do more damage to the grass than them silly buggers who run around with studs on their boots " BUT he always had a twinkle in his eye . A really great character .

Apologies for interupting your post Gary  I felt a bit nostalgic .

11 hours ago, WRJ said:

Hi Gary

Good luck mate, if you go onto the St Pirans page there is a piece there called Interesting covering a year in the life of a groundsman, mostly from Dave at Penryn lots of good stuff on there mate.

Thanks WJR. I have just spent the last couple hours reading through that post and it was very informative with lots learnt!!

32 minutes ago, Gary A said:

Thanks WJR. I have just spent the last couple hours reading through that post and it was very informative with lots learnt!!

Hello gary.

You can always ask a question on that thread if you have problems. 

Remember,  looking after a football pitch is a big difference from a golf course and greens. 

Biggest difference is the compaction and the damage in the winter.

Time is what you will need most of, and your best friend...your fork!

19 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Hello gary.

You can always ask a question on that thread if you have problems. 

Remember,  looking after a football pitch is a big difference from a golf course and greens. 

Biggest difference is the compaction and the damage in the winter.

Time is what you will need most of, and your best friend...your fork!

Thanks Dave / Older (not sure what to call you for the best on this forum?). Yes, I have lots to learn, but really looking forward to the challenge that lies ahead and that's why I wanted to be part of a group with like minded people and plenty of experience like yourself. 

As you say, compaction is going to be a major factor - I will be very pro-active on aeration as much as possible, when ever conditions allow - no heavy machinery on the pitch in the Winter months.

I am determined to go Chemical free as well. I will be Brewing my own Compost Tea's along with added Bio- Stimulants to work that soil biology and let all those microbes / bacteria feed the soil with all of the other benefits.   

Really excited about this new journey.

Cheers

Gary 

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

Thanks Dave / Older (not sure what to call you for the best on this forum?). Yes, I have lots to learn, but really looking forward to the challenge that lies ahead and that's why I wanted to be part of a group with like minded people and plenty of experience like yourself. 

As you say, compaction is going to be a major factor - I will be very pro-active on aeration as much as possible, when ever conditions allow - no heavy machinery on the pitch in the Winter months.

I am determined to go Chemical free as well. I will be Brewing my own Compost Tea's along with added Bio- Stimulants to work that soil biology and let all those microbes / bacteria feed the soil with all of the other benefits.   

Really excited about this new journey.

Cheers

Gary 

Interesting there Gary, keep us updated on your non chemical journey, going to be tough to be weed free and soil solid for sure.

Myself I used to keep the use of chemicals to a minimum in such as I generally would use them at half strength for the same results. 

Our new groundsman Kevin is a big fan of hand weeding the pitch! But of course butter cups and clover don't lend themselves to that type of weeding, so a light chemical touch is needed there methinks.

Keep us informed on that trip buddy. 

Older or Dave which ever takes your preference. 

9 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Interesting there Gary, keep us updated on your non chemical journey, going to be tough to be weed free and soil solid for sure.

Myself I used to keep the use of chemicals to a minimum in such as I generally would use them at half strength for the same results. 

Our new groundsman Kevin is a big fan of hand weeding the pitch! But of course butter cups and clover don't lend themselves to that type of weeding, so a light chemical touch is needed there methinks.

Keep us informed on that trip buddy. 

Older or Dave which ever takes your preference. 

Good morning Dave, yes I will gradually hand pick weeds and back fill with compost / seed mix when time allows. I am hoping that a verticut on the clover will sort that out (it's worked in my garden) - not sure about butter cups at the moment to be honest. Cheers, Gary  

11 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

No doubt you're already across this Gary, but an interesting read. No doubt many people will be looking at how you get on with the non chemical journey regarding the G's playing surface.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/24/eden-project-creatorsto-open-edible-green-golf-course-gillyflower-cornwall

What a very interesting read thank you. I will have to pop up there for nine holes being a keen golfer 🏌️‍♂️

Truro Golf Club have been using compost tea and biostimulants for the last 5 years and there has been a dramatic improvement in the greens along with monthly / twice monthly aeration in one form or another. Cheers, Gary 

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

What a very interesting read thank you. I will have to pop up there for nine holes being a keen golfer 🏌️‍♂️

Truro Golf Club have been using compost tea and biostimulants for the last 5 years and there has been a dramatic improvement in the greens along with monthly / twice monthly aeration in one form or another. Cheers, Gary 

Completely off topic Gary, but regarding stopping the use of chemicals on plants and gardens, I have been using my own home made banana skin fertiliser this year. Simply put old banana skins in a container, put about 3inch of water over the top, and leave to soak for 5 days. Sieve it to use just the now potassium rich water on your plants, my outdoor pots seem to love it. 

13 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Completely off topic Gary, but regarding stopping the use of chemicals on plants and gardens, I have been using my own home made banana skin fertiliser this year. Simply put old banana skins in a container, put about 3inch of water over the top, and leave to soak for 5 days. Sieve it to use just the now potassium rich water on your plants, my outdoor pots seem to love it. 

Brilliant and it is that easy!!🍌

Look at the photo's of work I done at Godolphin - I decompacted the goal mouths, over seeded and top dress with compost - five days later, germination and look at the healthy colour of that grass. 

compost newquay .......jpg

Compost photo Newquay.jpg