Cornwall Football Forum

5 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

IIRC in the WL they charged £6.- very good value - but  so a jump to £10 is pretty steep increase to go up one level. £8 at Parkway last. season. 

Correct however I don’t think the increase is unjustified given what most clubs charge at our current level (plus a fair few Western league clubs were charging more than £6 anyway). As mentioned previously Parkway have a lot more money than Tavistock so could probably afford to charge less than the going rate for the level of football.

3 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Correct however I don’t think the increase is unjustified given what most clubs charge at our current level (plus a fair few Western league clubs were charging more than £6 anyway). As mentioned previously Parkway have a lot more money than Tavistock so could probably afford to charge less than the going rate for the level of football.

Maybe they have more money because they set a reasonable price and get big crowds..... Plus the added revenue that would then bring from the bar etc 

25 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Not on about a PSF (unless playing Argyle/Exeter etc) For league fixtures £10 is reasonable I think.

£10-£12 was the going rate for the Southern Prem clubs I went to last season. People coming through the gates will be the ultimate guide as to whether the pricing is right or wrong.

1 hour ago, Footy follower said:

Maybe they have more money because they set a reasonable price and get big crowds..... Plus the added revenue that would then bring from the bar etc 

Nothing to do with having a chairman who’s happy to throw money at the club? Plus the rent Truro paid last season. 

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

£10-£12 was the going rate for the Southern Prem clubs I went to last season. People coming through the gates will be the ultimate guide as to whether the pricing is right or wrong.

Bideford was definitely £10 and others told me a few others charge the same.

51 minutes ago, supportcornishfootball said:

Feel like pre season games should be free, great chance to get the community and youngsters into their local team 

As much as I want to agree (be good to see places packed) the refs and two officials need paying as well as other general costs. 

53 minutes ago, supportcornishfootball said:

Feel like pre season games should be free, great chance to get the community and youngsters into their local team 

Sounds like a good idea to me , but it's depending on the opposition of course. Getting a Football League club in costs money to arrange and stage. Weeks (if not months) of work goes in behind the scenes to stage a team like Argyle at Bolitho. and putting in place the infrastructure to cope with a crowd of 2,000 plus.  

On another note, do clubs pay "expenses" for pre season friendlies?

1 hour ago, Tavi Fan said:

Nothing to do with having a chairman who’s happy to throw money at the club? Plus the rent Truro paid last season. 

Bideford was definitely £10 and others told me a few others charge the same.

As much as I want to agree (be good to see places packed) the refs and two officials need paying as well as other general costs. 

The simple maths is 400 people at £8 = £3200(i know you have concessions but just for the sake of this point everyone's a full payer) 

£10 x 100 (I dont know a regular tavi crowd and how many will pay £4 more this season so it's a bit of guesswork)) £1000

Maybe if Tavi charged £8 then an extra 50 people would come) £1200 plus extra food and drink spends plus more support for the team

Never meant to divert the topic to be about cost, was only a passing comment. 

Watched Tavistock v Liskeard last night.

First half was all Tavistock, with a very young looking team, I think a lot of ‘on trial’ players with a few first team (midfield was very dominant though).Score was 2-0 at HT.  Second half Tavistock changed 10 players and Liskeard, for me, we’re better but lacked being clinical and a few non friendly game challenges. Finished 4-1 to Tavistock. I heard a few comments about the Tavistock manager wanting to give everyone equal time before deciding on next years squad, but personally making so many changes disrupts the game too much - but what do I know. 

Liskeard, second half looked a decent team and for what I have seen of SWPL standard, they must be pushing for promotion. 

Might pop to Wadebridge v Tavistock tomorrow - if I have enough fuel - costs a lot more than entry price. 

6 hours ago, Tarus said:

Never meant to divert the topic to be about cost, was only a passing comment. 

Watched Tavistock v Liskeard last night.

First half was all Tavistock, with a very young looking team, I think a lot of ‘on trial’ players with a few first team (midfield was very dominant though).Score was 2-0 at HT.  Second half Tavistock changed 10 players and Liskeard, for me, we’re better but lacked being clinical and a few non friendly game challenges. Finished 4-1 to Tavistock. I heard a few comments about the Tavistock manager wanting to give everyone equal time before deciding on next years squad, but personally making so many changes disrupts the game too much - but what do I know. 

Liskeard, second half looked a decent team and for what I have seen of SWPL standard, they must be pushing for promotion. 

Might pop to Wadebridge v Tavistock tomorrow - if I have enough fuel - costs a lot more than entry price. 

Sounds to me that Stu Henderson knows what he is doing and also sounds like that Tavistock are running the club in the right way as well, really refreshing to hear and personally see. Pre-season games are exactly what they are meant to be, playing time to gain match fitness and to look at fringe players and new players to see if they fit with your style and what your team needs and wants in a player in order to be successful at any amateur level. Some people look too much into results and performances and take a negativity from it all and think the worse. Liskeard and Tavistock are tremendous clubs run in the proper manner and I wish them all the very best in achieving what they set to do and where they want to get. Always enjoyed being welcomed by these clubs in my match official days. 

37 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

That is a statement signing, Tavi certainly mean business. They now have Liam Prynn, Josh Grant, Dan Koita and Alex Battle competing for the forward positions.

As well as Teigan Rosenquest, Josh Parry and Tallan Burns. 

Rather large squad so will be interesting to see what happens from here especially as everyone has been involved already this pre season.

Still think you've got no money at tavi?!! 

I’m glad you said that FF.

I am a Parkway fan, and suspect we have the biggest budget in the SW. I don't think anyone at the club would dispute that or be shy about it. And I don’t care if we do - it’s not my money and the club seem

I do find the rhetoric from Tavi odd - why do they portray themselves as the paupers? I think this (brilliant) signing only further shows they have a few quid. It think it’s common knowledge that two year contracts have been offered to protect their star assets. Savvy business I say. But why pretend they are doing it on a shoestring and as I’ve seen on here, criticise others who are investing in the team?

If clubs like Tavistock have the money - as the signing of Battle clearly proves they do - then good on them. 

Good luck to Tavi. I hope to renew our rivalry sooner rather than later.

Well it’s certainly news to the majority of supporters that there is money within the club -

Suspect the reason we have so many home friendlies and what was originally planned at £8 a head says the club doesn’t have the money you guys suspect.

Good wages or a manager who’s probably known the majority of youngsters within the area since they was teenagers and has a proven record of playing them in the first team?

Edited by Dave Deacon
Non football Accusation!

Cracking player to add  and that is some squad would imagine the ambition is to go up like parkway. I have to say tavi go into the season with a better strike force then parkway had in that league last year. 
As for a budget. Parkway has got better it had to for lee to get the players in he has. 
Truro still have the biggest budget around here.  

2 hours ago, Tom Malin said:

I’m glad you said that FF.

I am a Parkway fan, and suspect we have the biggest budget in the SW. I don't think anyone at the club would dispute that or be shy about it. And I don’t care if we do - it’s not my money and the club seem

I do find the rhetoric from Tavi odd - why do they portray themselves as the paupers? I think this (brilliant) signing only further shows they have a few quid. It think it’s common knowledge that two year contracts have been offered to protect their star assets. Savvy business I say. But why pretend they are doing it on a shoestring and as I’ve seen on here, criticise others who are investing in the team?

If clubs like Tavistock have the money - as the signing of Battle clearly proves they do - then good on them. 

Good luck to Tavi. I hope to renew our rivalry sooner rather than later.

Has been part of Stuart Henderson's psychology over the past few seasons to play them down, talk about small budgets and not having the resources of other clubs (this has been mostly directed at Parkway, but also Helston and Mousehole most recently). Not my cup of tea, and it does downplay slightly what they have achieved, but if it works for them, fair enough. 

Posted this on SWPL forum, if any Tavistock supporters are interested

Went and watched the game - trying to get an impression of Tavistock for next season. First time at Wadebridge and nice club, not seen many like it with the pitch below the watching area but lovely evening and only £3 entry and cheap beer - pint and a pasty for £4 (not the greatest pasty)

Tavistock team was not what I have seen last two games and looked a typical PSF squad - am probably wrong but only saw a few players that looked like first team and looked quite leggy. 

Performance wise - Tavistock controlled game but lacked cutting edge. Agree the lad Parry was stand out. The lad Battle, could see the quality was there but not the touch, on a different night he could have scored 5. 

Out of the games I have seen, Wadebridge were good but a way behind Liskeard and Falmouth - so I wouldn’t give too much the the scores in each game. I do hope Wadebridge do well and without knowing the league - if they can challenge Liskeard they won’t be far from the top. The lad who game on for them second half No5 actually made things tick up front. 

Think Tavistock may put out a different team v Mousehole.

15 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Has to be a healthy budget for sure! 

Which is supported by their fast track objectives to coin in the profit from people who fancy a casual summers evening watching early July leg stretching.

Hiking traditional token admission prices up to embarrassingly greedy levels for nothing more than organised training jaunts isn't the way forward. Especially when the publics first awareness of the scam is at the turnstile.

If this is the Tavistock manifesto to build up their profile in our area I recommend they think again. People don't mind reasonable increased charges for competitive League and Cup games but these are just run abouts to improve fitness and positional awareness.

I certainly won't be giving the Tavistock club my custom under this regime.

On an end note, I believe the moneybags rocked up at Wadebridge last night for another kick about. Apparently it was 3 quid in. Says it all really 🤪

I’d like to think the stupid decision to charge £8 doesn’t deter people from coming back and visiting us. Especially as I think we’ll have a decent side next season and we always play a good style of football to watch.

As mentioned on Twitter the backlash from the clubs supporters was the given reason for the reducing the ticket prices.

As for the “current regime” there isn’t one!!

4 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I’d like to think the stupid decision to charge £8 doesn’t deter people from coming back and visiting us. Especially as I think we’ll have a decent side next season and we always play a good style of football to watch.

As mentioned on Twitter the backlash from the clubs supporters was the given reason for the reducing the ticket prices.

As for the “current regime” there isn’t one!!

Heard there's an AGM next week?

Someone in authority must have rubber stamped the daft admission prices for kick abouts?

I don’t think £6 is too unreasonable (nearly a 50% drop from our league match price of £10) but I’m sure it’ll be a topic to be discussed 👍

Many of us fans will pay whatever to go and watch however we want more to come along and boost our attendance - overcharging in PSFs isn’t the way to do this.

51 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I don’t think £6 is too unreasonable (nearly a 50% drop from our league match price of £10) but I’m sure it’ll be a topic to be discussed 👍

Many of us fans will pay whatever to go and watch however we want more to come along and boost our attendance - overcharging in PSFs isn’t the way to do this.

BUT £6 is what you charged for Western league football last season.... Doesn't matter what you've hiked it too for the coming season..... Or even what other clubs charge. 

In the end it will come down to what people are willing to pay. 

Plus what you have to remember.. You are charging high pre season prices for games involving development players.... Trialists etc played at probably half pace 

Hopefully it all works out as Tavistock is a good club

44 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I don’t think £6 is too unreasonable (nearly a 50% drop from our league match price of £10) 

Tavistock only reduced it to £6 from £8 because of complaints from unsuspecting football supporters who'd been stung at the turnstiles.

This progressed to the club getting stick on twitter threads, some contributions came from opposition management.

The damage has been done. Neutral football spectators looking forward to seeing the club next season are thinking twice about whether it's appropriate to attend grounds who treat supporters in such a fashion.

Perhaps a few questions could be put to whomever dreamt up such a money grabbing policy at the AGM. Mind you I bet Tavistock will be charging admission for that as well 🤦‍♂️.

8 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

It was reduced as a result of the majority of Tavistock fans complaining at the price last weekend. Not a handful of people on twitter. 

You wont grow your clubs support from the handful of fans already going (although you could lose them).... You grow it by what the wider footballing community think... Eg pulling in new supporters 

50 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

You wont grow your clubs support from the handful of fans already going (although you could lose them).... You grow it by what the wider footballing community think... Eg pulling in new supporters 

Yes I’m aware (I’ve slated the decision on here) Just to add I’m not on the board/committee etc

The difference between Plymouth Parkway and Tavi is the potential supporter base. Tavistock has a population of 13,000, while Plymouth has a population of 262,000 (with around 40,000 living within 5 miles of Bolitho Park). Mark Russell argued back in 2017 that the city could accommodate a second football team playing as high as, possibly, National League South.

9 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The difference between Plymouth Parkway and Tavi is the potential supporter base. Tavistock has a population of 13,000, while Plymouth has a population of 262,000 (with around 40,000 living within 5 miles of Bolitho Park). Mark Russell argued back in 2017 that the city could accommodate a second football team playing as high as, possibly, National League South.

Good point well made. When you put it like that our crowds don’t look so bad after all!

However I’d like to see more done to try and encourage more to attend. I think we probably averaged about 130-150 last season so getting an extra 50 in makes a massive difference.

What you havn't taken into account for Plymouth, are the number of senior teams and junior teams that play in the city every Saturday. You have divisions of under 8's to under 18's who command there own spectators plus of course the senior teams in a number of divisions.

To be fair parkway crowds are affected by when argyle are playing. . Would imagine they hope the Saturday home games fall again when argyle play away.  It does add a few hundred into the crowd. Your talking an extra few grand. Massive difference. 
tavi is an odd one.
I wonder how much goes on to entice the residents of tavi to the game ?? surly tavi should be getting more for the level of football they are at   

4 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

To be fair parkway crowds are affected by when argyle are playing. . Would imagine they hope the Saturday home games fall again when argyle play away.  It does add a few hundred into the crowd. Your talking an extra few grand. Massive difference. 
tavi is an odd one.
I wonder how much goes on to entice the residents of tavi to the game ?? surly tavi should be getting more for the level of football they are at   

I think we could get more however when you look at the population of the town and the average attendance it’s not too bad at all for the level of football!

10 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

tavi is an odd one.

Not a new problem for Tavi. Can remember when Liskeard and Saltash were sweeping before all before them in Western League of the 1980's, they would rarely get gates of more than 150-200 (aside from when they played each other on Boxing Day and Good Friday). This told in the end, especially considering they were up against clubs from towns like Bideford, Barnstaple, Taunton, Weston Super Mare, Exmouth, Clevedon and the various Bristol clubs with significantly larger populations.

The Argyle factor is a good point for Parkway, Bolitho attendances were right down when home fixtures clashed on a Saturday. 

I guess that it has to be a strategy of long term development for Tavi, just looking to grow support gradually. One thought though, I would expect there are people in the town unaware of the standard of football played at Langsford Park, or even that the club exists. Pretty sure this was the case with Plymouth Parkway and Bolitho Park several years ago in the pre 2013/14 treble winning era (remember mentioning it to a work colleague who lived in Plymouth, and had no idea until he turned up one week what was on offer).

30 minutes ago, Home Waters said:

What you havn't taken into account for Plymouth, are the number of senior teams and junior teams that play in the city every Saturday. You have divisions of under 8's to under 18's who command there own spectators plus of course the senior teams in a number of divisions.

Good point on the DJM football, guess that takes up a few hundred potential supporters on a Saturday. Not sure about the senior and junior teams in the city though. Acknowledge that I have been off the scene for a few years, but the park and recreational leagues have fallen a long way from the days of 8 or 9 divisions across the P&D and Plymouth Combo. 

Before the inquisition starts re the Mousehole game, the blame lies square and fair at the feet of the Tavi manager.  Four games in a week is no way to begin your preseason.  It will only lead to the injuries Tavi suffered at the beginning of last season and also another poor start to another season.

He may give some excuse or another but there is a duty of care to his players.

46 minutes ago, Westcountry boy said:

Before the inquisition starts re the Mousehole game, the blame lies square and fair at the feet of the Tavi manager.  Four games in a week is no way to begin your preseason.  It will only lead to the injuries Tavi suffered at the beginning of last season and also another poor start to another season.

He may give some excuse or another but there is a duty of care to his players.

He must have a Squad of about 20 odd players doubt anyone played full 90 in any game. All about fitness. 

Not sure why there would be any inquisition about losing a PSF to a very good Mousehole team. Having watched all the PSF’s I have probably seen all their ‘squad’ and there is a very good team there - but perhaps time to actually lose some players who have given it a go but not quite there yet. 
First half of game saw Tavistock field a team, I am guessing containing 5/6 established players and some players  playing ‘up’. Mousehole very well drilled in possession and look comfortable on the ball - trying to draw a team on to them and pouncing when the gaps turned up. Some of the Tavistock young players obliged and that is where the goals came from - although two goals were very poor goal keeping, one was a soft penalty (even softer than the one awarded to Tavistock in the second half) and Tavistock missed a couple of sitters. 

Second half Tavistock changed 4 players and looked more like the team I would expect to see in league games - Tavistock held formation and were the better team. 

Probably a game were the  Tavistock manager learned more about some players that the previous I have seen where even “trialists’ were good enough to still be the better team. 

As for the £8 entry v Falmouth I unfortunately mentioned - mistake was made and has been rectified. 

Mousehole will do very well in Western League next season, with no Exmouth or Tavistock they must be pushing for promotion. Tavistock will do fine in Southern league - the lad Prinn played his first PSF - with him and Battle / Grant they have goals. A really solid midfield with the lads Harrison and Cooper adding quality and getting a regular back 4 and keeper (apparently their keeper has missed all their games due to work) - it’s a strong squad - winners I’m not sure but certainly top half must be in their goals. 

• 3 weeks later...

Long serving Tavistock centre back and captain Lewis Daw has announced his departure from the club. 

Interesting statement to read in which he talks about getting over a long term injury,(and how he has to manage it before and after games) , and also the pressures of juggling work and family life with the commitment needed to play a high standard of non league football. It has been mentioned in other posts on here about how some players haven't returned to the game after the enforced COVID breaks, he talks about how he started to enjoy having blank weekends without football.

https://www.tavistock-today.co.uk/news/tavistock-football-club-captain-calls-it-a-day-after-nine-years-557095

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Long serving Tavistock centre back and captain Lewis Daw has announced his departure from the club. 

Interesting statement to read in which he talks about getting over a long term injury,(and how he has to manage it before and after games) , and also the pressures of juggling work and family life with the commitment needed to play a high standard of non league football. It has been mentioned in other posts on here about how some players haven't returned to the game after the enforced COVID breaks, he talks about how he started to enjoy having blank weekends without football.

https://www.tavistock-today.co.uk/news/tavistock-football-club-captain-calls-it-a-day-after-nine-years-557095

Interesting read and well earned. I know in several other threads there has been talk of lack of players this season, i tend to agree the covid break probably gave some players a chance to see what time away looks like, is the motivation or indeed time even there to come back. A great player though and it sounds like he has made the right decision. All the best to the young man