Cornwall Football Forum

After submitting their resignations last season, it has now been announced by Tavistock that Chair Paul Stapleton and Secretary Barry Jackson have left the club.

Official statement from club was notable in that it contained none of the usual, "thanks for their past work" or ,"best wishes for the future" for either.

2 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Obviously hoping someone else will come in as chairman but don’t think either will be missed at Langsford Park.

Bigger loss will be assistant manager Ken Ord who announced tonight he’s leaving the club. Wish him all the best he’s been fantastic.

Ken Ord put a lot into Tavi and will be a miss. Stapleton will not be.

59 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

So does anyone know what is going on at Tavi? Upheaval behind the scenes? All not well?

Tavi have made huge progress in recent years  Now, at their highest level on the field, I hope things stabilise and the Lambs have a good first season in the SL. 

Will be there for PSF v Bodmin Town 01 July!

Isn't that the development team Friday night? Looking at their tweets it certainly is as the graphic showing this match has Development Squad in top left. 

On 23/06/2022 at 10:18, sportsman10 said:

Is Ken ord leaving to manage a club himself ?  
he was part of the furniture there. Be interesting to see who they bring into replace him 

I have spoken to Ken and he is taking a break away from football to go travelling... Although there has been a number of coming and goings, Tavistock are fairly settled but they are looking for a new chairperson.... 

9 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Can’t knock tavi they go about there business quite every year and get the results on the pitch. Can see another strong season this year. 

Hopefully this season we can have the same squad as we did last season.

Stu Henderson and co done amazing to win the league givien our budget and losing players like Crago, Bentley, Andrew and Tyler Elliott.

Im not sure what the management expect to achieve this season but if we can get a good team out (especially away from home) I personally think we’ll be fine given what little I’ve seen of the SL Div 1.

18 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Ed Harrison from Camelford and Adam McPherson from Elburton Villa announced as Tavi signings yesterday.

Two very Stuart Henderson like additions. Young, promising players who can be used in numerous positions. 

If the rest of the squad from last season remain then we have some good depth in midfield and attack now.

Would expect a couple of loanees from professional clubs to come in too.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Ben Fowles, captain of Dorchester Under 23's last season, has now signed.

Another really good addition. 

Dare say I know much about him yet but looking forward to seeing him play. Getting some good depth at the club now.

4 hours ago, David Harper said:

Convincing win versus Falmouth. Thought the level in leagues showed. McPherson and Harrison very good signings for the Lambs ❤️Stu doing a great job 👍

Just seen the result, that's a bit of a surprise. Can never gauge much from the first match of Pre-Season though. Assume both sides were 'full strength'? 

18 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Tavi had 4/5 first teasers away not sure on Falmouth.

Cant read too much into PSFs however it was a good performance from us. We have quite a “difficult” friendly schedule playing some good sides each game so hopefully we’ll be up and running when the first game of the season arrives.

Was there much in the way of an F-Troop following at the game? PSF's are always a difficult one (I haven't watched one for years, like paying to watch a training session). If you win, you're trying to play it down but if you lose, it's lessons learned and vital minutes in the legs.

12 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Club have appointed Darren Spong. 
Edit to add: been appointed as “first team coach”

Assuming it's the same guy whose profile I found on LinkedIn, Darren Spong has an impressive CV.

Ex pro with Portsmouth and Bournemouth, then a head coach within college "soccer" in the USA (which is a pretty high standard).

Few F Troop there but understandably not as many as perhaps hoped!

Can’t say I know too much about Darren but with a CV like that and with Calum Davenport we appear to have a good coaching setup. Be interesting to see if an assistant manager also comes in now.

Personal view of the game v Falmouth (posted on the Western League page:

The Town Man - am new to the forum so wouldn’t want to upset anyone (moved to the area a couple of years ago, watched a lot of Western League and Southern League football and a few SWPL games (mainly Falmouth as best in that league). Agree with some of what was said - Full Falmouth Team (certainly until 3-0 down in 2nd half) but Tavistock missing 4/5 key players - but can’t agree with ‘matching in midfield’. Falmouth are really exciting and a great watch (love the CF), fast football - but we’re undone as they had no-one in the middle of the park who could control the game. Tavistock’s two central midfielders decided when to break play up / speed it up or slow it down - Falmouth had no ‘plan B’ and for me that was the difference. Other than Falmouth’s bench did not improve the squad - would hate to quote an England rugby manager - but they had no ‘finishers’.  

Also thought the two wide player and the lad who got his hat trick looked out of their depth for Tavistock (not fair for someone who scored 3 goals - two tap ins, I know - but was poor when out wide and can’t see Tavistock starting them in a proper game - at the moment - you can see loads of raw talent there but a bit or coaching needed first)

It’s only a PSF and nothing matters - Falmouth will do very well and Tavistock are now my ‘adopted’ team - with players out, they looked good.  Their new assistant coach has loads of CV, which must be good for a team with apparently limited budget but aspirations. 

All only my views and having read comments on here will be berated for them but I actually enjoyed the game (£8 for a PSF was a bit much)

12 hours ago, Tarus said:

(£8 for a PSF was a bit much)

8 quid for an early July leg stretcher is not just appalling it's downright embarrassing, especially at this level.

Perhaps Tavistock have got a little carried away with their own publicity?

Has anyone woken them up and mentioned the Cost Of Living crisis.

I was considering going along to the game v Liskeard. They can shuv-it! 💰💰💰

1 hour ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

8 quid for an early July leg stretcher is not just appalling it's downright embarrassing, especially at this level.

Something else that annoys me about PSF's is how many occasions players are just referrred to a "A Trialist". Parkway had 4 of these on Saturday and, from what I gather, the majority of Bideford's side versus Axminster last night was only known as "Mr Trialist." Not sure why they do this (are some of these players that are committed/signed elsewhere, and are just seeing if the grass is greener), but most informed people know who they are anyway. In my humble opinion, it reduces the match to the status of a trial game, and is it right to charge full price for this? Especially if it isn't high profile or higher league opposition.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Something else that annoys me about PSF's is how many occasions players are just referrred to a "A Trialist". Parkway had 4 of these on Saturday and, from what I gather, the majority of Bideford's side versus Axminster last night was only known as "Mr Trialist." Not sure why they do this (are some of these players that are committed/signed elsewhere, and are just seeing if the grass is greener), but most informed people know who they are anyway. In my humble opinion, it reduces the match to the status of a trial game, and is it right to charge full price for this? Especially if it isn't high profile or higher league opposition.

i left the game sat before the end. I believe parkway had a few guys given a run out towards the end .  1 being Louis Rooney b, another a guy from the Ukraine who over this way  and I believe the other was  olando again on his ever increasing football journey.  Not sure if any will be kept on.  
As for the price of pre season games isn’t this where clubs look to fill the coffers towards players fees for next season. 
parkway had over 2000 there paying £10 pound 0dd  , the bar was full even the beer tent sold out. Very good day for the club 

10 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

i left the game sat before the end. I believe parkway had a few guys given a run out towards the end .  1 being Louis Rooney b, another a guy from the Ukraine who over this way  and I believe the other was  olando again on his ever increasing football journey.  Not sure if any will be kept on.  
As for the price of pre season games isn’t this where clubs look to fill the coffers towards players fees for next season. 
parkway had over 2000 there paying £10 pound 0dd  , the bar was full even the beer tent sold out. Very good day for the club 

Yes, appreciate that this is the case with something like Parkway v Argyle. It was advertised as a festival of football, and is indeed very good for the club's coffers and profile. Hopefully Torpoint reap some rewards when Lee Hobbs and team make the trip across the Tamar on Saturday.  Some of the other friendlies, not so sure. There don't appear to be any league clubs sending teams down here for pre season workouts this summer. Guess that with pandemic travel restrictions lifted, they're all heading to Europe for their training camps and friendlies. 

Regarding the trialists, cannot understand why they aren't just named in the line up. It seems quite common knowledge who they were (the trial goalie was Jake Mead-Crebbin, who I believe played for Callington and Argyle's Devon League FITC side last season). 

5 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Now reduced to £6 for what it’s worth.

Unsure who thought £8 was reasonable for a PSF 🤦‍♂️Hopefully a lesson learnt 

35 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

The worry for Tavi fans should be if they are charging £8 for a pre season match against a team just promoted from the peninsula how much will they be charging for a league match? 

Or was it an attempt to cash in on the F-Troop?? 

I think it’s £10 a game for this season - which is about right for this league. I did see season tickets are £135 which is only £7 a game - not bad really - just not sure I can get to enough games.