Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Cally sign two


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Goals Galore said:

It will be interesting to see if they can replace Cloke's goals

Looks like they're not trying to bring in any local players, you'd have thought they would be stealing players from the likes of Gunnislake and St Dominic

I have watched at Dominic a few times ,they have got a good team,perhaps if callington did  have some local players ,then some locals might come back to watch games! I'm in calstock so I think I'll check gunnislake out this season as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, tamar.man said:

I have watched at Dominic a few times ,they have got a good team,perhaps if callington did  have some local players ,then some locals might come back to watch games! I'm in calstock so I think I'll check gunnislake out this season as well.

Callington will look to Plymouth based players as that is what  the management team know 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lad McCauley is a fair enough signing. Watched the boy Alcantara a few times last season and wouldn't be getting excited any time soon.

Would imagine that if there were any local players available, they would be in the Callington side. It's probably more realistic that they are not good enough to play at that level but saying that, the standard from Peninsula to ECPL isn't all that different these days so maybe if there were players, they could step. 

Seem to remember them going down the local road a few years ago, didn't work out all that well then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Goals Galore said:

There's always the worry that if Shaun Vincent does decide to leave the players are more than likely to go with him. I suppose this could be the same for any club but even more so when the whole squad is imported from Plymouth and have no loyalty with the club. 

 

 

Explains why you can count on one hand the amount of local spectators ..no local interest!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Agree with Matt. I can think of at least half a dozen players good enough for Callington 1sts, some who have already played in the SWL, but are happy at their current clubs. 
Shaun may not even know who they are? Except Billy Coton maybe 😂 

Whats the Billy Coton connection? I dont get it?

2 hours ago, tamar.man said:

Explains why you can count on one hand the amount of local spectators ..no local interest!

I took over less than 9 months ago, club attained highest ever finish, ive tried to sign some local players but the immediate was stop the club getting relegated, all in good time, generating local interest is high on the priority, but lets be honest Plymouth isnt far away at all so its inevitable isnt it, callington is a small town so the pool of players is smaller, that said hopefully some relationships can be rebuilt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Agree with Matt. I can think of at least half a dozen players good enough for Callington 1sts, some who have already played in the SWL, but are happy at their current clubs. 
Shaun may not even know who they are? Except Billy Coton maybe 😂 

Who are these half a dozen foul throw ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Groundhopper said:

Who are these half a dozen foul throw ? 

Ricky Coton

Kev McAllion

Gunnislake centre half unsure on name

Jamie Blatchford

Keiran Prescott

Keiran Ryall

Just from my limited knowledge as I’m not from the area. 
There’s also no point moaning about Plymouth players as Calli, Saltash, Launceston, Saltash, Millbrook, Torpoint, Helston, Bodmin, among many others are all filled with Plymouth players due to the huge pool of players as Shaun has mentioned above purely due to the population size compared to Cornish towns. Nothing wrong with that and his/their finish to the 21/22 season proves it was a winning side. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sv85 said:

Whats the Billy Coton connection? I dont get it?

I took over less than 9 months ago, club attained highest ever finish, ive tried to sign some local players but the immediate was stop the club getting relegated, all in good time, generating local interest is high on the priority, but lets be honest Plymouth isnt far away at all so its inevitable isnt it, callington is a small town so the pool of players is smaller, that said hopefully some relationships can be rebuilt

Yes you have done a great job at callington ,long may it continue,no question there,glad to see local interest is a priority,the club committee needs to put the club out there bit more,looking forward to a interesting season for local football with step up to  step 5 on offer for fair few clubs..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sv85 said:

Whats the Billy Coton connection? I dont get it?

I took over less than 9 months ago, club attained highest ever finish, ive tried to sign some local players but the immediate was stop the club getting relegated, all in good time, generating local interest is high on the priority, but lets be honest Plymouth isnt far away at all so its inevitable isnt it, callington is a small town so the pool of players is smaller, that said hopefully some relationships can be rebuilt

Good luck in the coming season Shaun 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/06/2022 at 15:18, Goals Galore said:

It will be interesting to see if they can replace Cloke's goals

Looks like they're not trying to bring in any local players, you'd have thought they would be stealing players from the likes of Gunnislake and St Dominic

I think even if callington did try to poach the quality local players from the likes of st Dom and gunni they wouldn’t be very interested, a lot of them have played for callington previously but seem have cut all ties due to the way the club is run, farcical really as callington could have a quality side full of local players but instead choose to have a team without  local players, mind you their superb form last year and 9th place makes it acceptable to i suppose 🤣🤡

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May I also add to some people on this forum questioning if some of the local players are good enough for that level of football, I have watched a fair few swpl games this year and in my personal opinion think it’s the lowest standard of football I have ever seen for that league. Few years back when the likes of Saltash, Tavistock, parkway, mousehole, helston, exmouth were in those leagues the standard was very good. But these days there really isn’t much between the swpl and st pirans for me. A fair few of the players I’ve seen for st dom gunnislake and other pirans teams such the likes of Saltash borough, Saltash reserves and torpoint have players who could probably play western league level. Swpl is no where near the level it once was with all the big sides who have gone up and competed at the top ends of the above leagues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FootballChat said:

Get to know.

That wasnt me im afraid

2 hours ago, hedgerow said:

Good luck in the coming season Shaun 

Thank you

1 hour ago, Grassrootsgary said:

I think even if callington did try to poach the quality local players from the likes of st Dom and gunni they wouldn’t be very interested, a lot of them have played for callington previously but seem have cut all ties due to the way the club is run, farcical really as callington could have a quality side full of local players but instead choose to have a team without  local players, mind you their superb form last year and 9th place makes it acceptable to i suppose 🤣🤡

Yes something before my time and out of my control, club was 2nd bottom end of September so yes it was a good achievement in the circumstances 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From previous experience and having been at 4 SWPL league clubs in the past, seems like some local players always like to laugh to when they see there home town club fail or lose.

Normally a jealous thing as most of them know they aren't good enough to play at that level but think they are.

Always remember playing for Bodmin years and years ago and all the local lads were cheering for the other side, found out they all played in one of lower Trelawney or Duchy leagues but all thought they should be playing for us. 

 

 

 

9 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Ricky Coton

Kev McAllion

Gunnislake centre half unsure on name

Jamie Blatchford

Keiran Prescott

Keiran Ryall

Just from my limited knowledge as I’m not from the area. 
There’s also no point moaning about Plymouth players as Calli, Saltash, Launceston, Saltash, Millbrook, Torpoint, Helston, Bodmin, among many others are all filled with Plymouth players due to the huge pool of players as Shaun has mentioned above purely due to the population size compared to Cornish towns. Nothing wrong with that and his/their finish to the 21/22 season proves it was a winning side. 

Is Jamie Blatchford related to the Family that run the club, surely he would be playing if he was good enough??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Grassrootsgary said:

May I also add to some people on this forum questioning if some of the local players are good enough for that level of football, I have watched a fair few swpl games this year and in my personal opinion think it’s the lowest standard of football I have ever seen for that league. Few years back when the likes of Saltash, Tavistock, parkway, mousehole, helston, exmouth were in those leagues the standard was very good. But these days there really isn’t much between the swpl and st pirans for me. A fair few of the players I’ve seen for st dom gunnislake and other pirans teams such the likes of Saltash borough, Saltash reserves and torpoint have players who could probably play western league level. Swpl is no where near the level it once was with all the big sides who have gone up and competed at the top ends of the above leagues.

I definitely agree the the level within the SWPL has dropped in the last couple of years but that is mainly due to the teams you've listed gaining promotion. They now have the pick of bunch when it comes to the best players within Cornwall, so the SWPL has obviously suffered - not to say there aren't any good players left.  

There certainly are some talented players in the St Pirans, I'm sure they could more than hold their own in the SWPL. It's possible they haven't been given a chance or decided against it for whatever reason. It would be good to see a couple step up, especially for my one of my local sides Callington. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, teflon123 said:

From previous experience and having been at 4 SWPL league clubs in the past, seems like some local players always like to laugh to when they see there home town club fail or lose.

Normally a jealous thing as most of them know they aren't good enough to play at that level but think they are.

Always remember playing for Bodmin years and years ago and all the local lads were cheering for the other side, found out they all played in one of lower Trelawney or Duchy leagues but all thought they should be playing for us. 

 

 

 

Is Jamie Blatchford related to the Family that run the club, surely he would be playing if he was good enough??

No im not related , havent played for callington for several years now played for other teams in the swpl in recent years , standard is a long way off what it was of my early playing days , one of my biggest reasons for playing local now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/06/2022 at 16:24, Sv85 said:

Whats the Billy Coton connection? I dont get it?

I took over less than 9 months ago, club attained highest ever finish, ive tried to sign some local players but the immediate was stop the club getting relegated, all in good time, generating local interest is high on the priority, but lets be honest Plymouth isnt far away at all so its inevitable isnt it, callington is a small town so the pool of players is smaller, that said hopefully some relationships can be rebuilt

Fair response SV. Building those local connections needs doing though.  Very creditable improvement in Cally during your time there.  Think discipline and sometimes an over-robust approach needs finessing, but Cally showed what smaller clubs can do, as did Wendron spectacularly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...