Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook v Foxhole

Guest Gouldie

Guest Gouldie

I was going to write a comment sooner but decided I would wait for the match report of

Darin Morse. I gathered that it would probably give a better indication of our awful performance.

Millbrook started the game with the return of Graeme Kirkup at the back after most of the season out. we struggled to get used to the change in formation but still managed to create some good chances in the first half. We played with a 3-5-2 which looked like it was working O.K. Foxhole clearly tried to target our left side and looked like they were playing with 2 up front and a right winger who was constantly trying to push our left wing back further in to defence.

0-0 at half time was probably fair as we cancelled each other out. 2nd half and we felt that if we carried on in the same vein we may get something but Foxhole got a penalty which could have gone either way. I got a hand to it and should therefore have probably kept it out. We responded very well and pushed forward and managed to get a quick equaliser.

Our ability to get the ball in the back of the net came back to haunt us again as we gave away a really poor free kick just outside the 18 yard box ( almost on the corner spot ) No marking on the back post and 2, yes I repeat 2 Foxhole players were stood waiting to head the ball in.

Really poor result for us at home. We needed a win after the run of very hard games we have had since New Year. After beating Foxhole 5-1 at their place we felt this could be the start of another good run.

Gutted!!!!

Millbrook 1 Foxhole 2

Saturday 8th March 2008

With this victory, Foxhole have now chalked up 19 points from a possible 27 since Christmas so, while this was not an entirely convincing display, their efforts deserved to be witnessed by more than the lamentable travelling support of two. Just about enjoying the best of both halves, they were again indebted to Griffin, who headed home the winner 9 minutes from time from Warne's floated free-kick.

Early on Grose nodded wide Warne's corner and Gould was equal to Griffin's shot on the turn as the home team appeared ripe for picking, but gradually Yeatman began to win the midfield skirmishes, much as he had done earlier in the season at Goverseth. Consequently Foxhole were unable to gain a stranglehold, their midfield quartet particularly disappointing, although Hill did have the beating of Casey, and may have done better with one shot after a fine run.

Avery threatened most for Millbrook, firing over from distance, setting up Jones who fluffed his effort from 10 yards before his firm volley from Lowes' cross was brilliantly turned away by Holland. The Foxes' best chance fell invitingly to Bromley after a scramble, but the lack of composure shown in the wild slash was typical of the half.

The opener arrived 3 minutes after the restart. Rickard displayed impressive skill to pull down Hill's cross before laying the ball into the path of Griffin, who was caught by Paul McAdam. Hill despatched the penalty but the lead only lasted 5 minutes as the visiting defence allowed Avery to head unchallenged Kirkup's lofted pass into the path of Dan McAdam who could hardly fail to score. Jones then missed another sitter before being replaced by Lucassi, who was soon denied by Holland when clean through. Rickard soon burst clear but blazed wastefully wide while Griffin beat two men only for Gould to smother his shot, as Foxhole looked to expose Millbrook's high line.

The referee, who had been largely anonymous, then brandished a succession of yellow cards - firstly Rowe for dissent before Paul McAdam was booked for a poor challenge on Rickard, and it was from the resulting free-kick that Griffin rose unmarked to nod home the decider. Dan McAdam's name was also taken for contesting a decision and finally Warne was harshly cautioned for an innocuous foul on Casey, but Foxhole saw out time in relative comfort.

Foxhole (4-4-2): Ryan Holland 7; David Grose 6, Richard Fairclough 6, Jeff Dillon 6, Mark Rowe 6; Jason Warne 6, Scott Hill 6 (sub. Liam Nicholls 6), Adam Bromley 6, Adam Holland 6; Richard Griffin 6, Carl Rickard 7 (sub. Colin Morris 6).

Millbrook (3-5-2): James Gould; Graeme Kirkup, Paul McAdam, Chris Lock; John Wyatt, Adam Casey, Dan McAdam, Chris Yeatman, Ben Lowes (sub. Tony Hendy); Ross Avery, Shaun Jones (sub. Ryan Lucassi).

Referee: Mr Steve Paul (Delabole) 8.

Just to follow on from your report Darin - I unfortunately had to miss this match as I was away for a few days but it is only the second match I have missed including friendlies home and away since last July I too am really disappointed with the lack of travelling support this season - where are all those who packed out the general meeting last year who all embraced the club's decision to move up a grade this season - last season we had more support at away games than many of the home teams.....I know the team is not as strong has we all hoped it would be this season but there are a number of reasons for that and recent results and form deserve much better support - we were never going to win as many games as we have done in previously successful seasons in the CGECPL - anyway I will be back at Penryn SAT( along with the dogs) so that will boost the following - up the FOXES.....