Cornwall Football Forum

5 Substitutes Permitted At Step 5/6 For Season 2022/23

So, from the start of the 2022/23 season, 5 named substitutes can be used in step 5/6 league matches. Struggling to see how this is a good thing, especially given how many clubs struggled to get games played last season through being unable to even raise a starting 11. You will no doubt get this happening again, while some matches will have 10 players sat on the bench (cue as well a raft of changes in the last few minutes to get everybody a game)as wealthier clubs stockpile players. Bit baffling to me.

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

22 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

So, from the start of the 2022/23 season, 5 named substitutes can be used in step 5/6 league matches. Struggling to see how this is a good thing, especially given how many clubs struggled to get games played last season through being unable to even raise a starting 11. You will no doubt get this happening again, while some matches will have 10 players sat on the bench (cue as well a raft of changes in the last few minutes to get everybody a game)as wealthier clubs stockpile players. Bit baffling to me.

It's daft 🤦‍♂️

Modern Football marches on 🥴

On 20/06/2022 at 10:29, Way Of The Park said:

Just shows you how disjointed the authorities are from the reality of football at this level! 

Intriguing to know how this has come about. One of those decisions that comes from nowhere without any previous discussion or agitation in its favour. Once the idea had been introduced in professional football, you may have expected a "yes but" response when it was suggested further down the chain. Instead there's an air of following suit for the sake of following suit. That's fine on the surface; more "can do" (good) than "can't do" (bad).

Maybe; maybe not. The English Football League has followed the Premier League down this path and, as I usually watch a dozen or so games at that level most seasons, that's okay with me. It makes for following how teams change their tactics as games unfold. The clubs should have the players; few would be involved in fielding other teams at the same time above youth level.

But no implementation in the National League where there was a vote against. Nor any word yet on the step 3/4 leagues - the Isthmian, Northern Premier and Southern. Not quite sure if they'd decide individually or through the channels of the Trident League grouping made up of the three leagues acting together.

As for step 5 and 6 we can't be entirely sure what's happened although there's a suspicion that the FA sometimes acts on their behalf. Quite possibly whenever a guinea pig is required?

Slightly different subject BUT .!  I find it very strange , as many others probably do , that  almost pointless rules are introduced  downward  in the pyramid  but some good ideas that have been successful   at the lower levels haven't been adopted upwards . One example is the sin bin for dissent , a source within the F.A.  says that it has seen a huge reduction in fines for the offence since it's introduction . Players and managers ( the brighter one's )  have realised it's difficult playing for 10 minutes with a player or two  in the sin bin .  With the Respect campaign which has been running for a while , proving to be a failure , as far as abuse of officials is concerned , I would have thought it  would have obvious that it should be implemented at the top .

Still what do we at the bottom know , we only have so suffer the abuse etc. .

1 hour ago, fenman said:

Slightly different subject BUT .!  I find it very strange , as many others probably do , that  almost pointless rules are introduced  downward  in the pyramid  but some good ideas that have been successful   at the lower levels haven't been adopted upwards . One example is the sin bin for dissent , a source within the F.A.  says that it has seen a huge reduction in fines for the offence since it's introduction . Players and managers ( the brighter one's )  have realised it's difficult playing for 10 minutes with a player or two  in the sin bin .  With the Respect campaign which has been running for a while , proving to be a failure , as far as abuse of officials is concerned , I would have thought it  would have obvious that it should be implemented at the top .

Totally agree with you but the authorities seem to shy away from anything that seriously threatens the 11 v 11 norm, even for 10 minutes. Don’t think the TV companies would like it either. Similar to the red card for the “professional foul” introduced unilaterally by the PL and then stomped on by FIFA. Entertainment matters more than fairness?

28 minutes ago, baldy said:

Totally agree with you but the authorities seem to shy away from anything that seriously threatens the 11 v 11 norm, even for 10 minutes. Don’t think the TV companies would like it either. Similar to the red card for the “professional foul” introduced unilaterally by the PL and then stomped on by FIFA. Entertainment matters more than fairness?

You have to stop thinking of the Premier League as being merely "sport", but also as being "entertainment" and a "product." Hence the endless hype, the building up of controversy, crisis level punditry when a group of players has the afront to lose a match. the need to create rivalries and the focus on "emotion" and "passion" in the crowds (People screaming obscenities at referees, players and managers. The end of season looks of stunned disbelief and sobbing when their sides are relegated/lose a cup final).

I totally agree with you both  sadly , I did say in another post on  a different subject that I was told by a fairly senior member of the F.A.  when I asked the question re sin bins  not being use in the Premiership and Championship , he said it's a sad situation when television companies worldwide control  the top 2 divisions , but they don't want sin bins so they won't be introduced , so the Premiership and championship accept it . That explanation  would answer a lot of our questions  and it's ,  to my mind  a sorry state of affairs .

We were told in the 90's that Football as we knew it would change when Sky effectively took over the top 2 divisions , well that came true . Whether for the good or not I don't know , but I do know that many of the games are boring , with many teams playing not to lose rather than playing to win . Sometimes in my Marx brothers inspired warped brain  when I see the constant sideward's and backward passing I think that they have same problem as a player in  a team I ran . I signed this lad on , he's crazed me to pick him telling me that he was better than anyone in the team . He turned up and chased around aimlessly  sweating profusely  leaving the other players unimpressed . The second half started and he got the ball and beat several defenders and was about to shoot when our centre half got the ball off him . He couldn't grasp that we'ed changed ends and were kicking the other way and he was attacking his own goal . Prior to the game he'd got himself fired up on illegal substances and was out of it hence the sweating . I had to take him off and he never played for us again .

45 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

You have to stop thinking of the Premier League as being merely "sport", but also as being "entertainment" and a "product." Hence the endless hype, the building up of controversy, crisis level punditry when a group of players has the afront to lose a match. the need to create rivalries and the focus on "emotion" and "passion" in the crowds (People screaming obscenities at referees, players and managers. The end of season looks of stunned disbelief and sobbing when their sides are relegated/lose a cup final).

Think we are on the same page here. The entertainment value of PL footy has severely declined in the last 5 years or so. “Possession football” is boring, lots of tippy tappy even in your own half leads to much less in goalmouth action. Several instances of a home team not having a shot on target, or sometimes very few shots at all. The hyped product is in decline.

3 hours ago, fenman said:

I’m not surprised they’ve seen a reduction in fines as the sin bin replaces the fine.

Im not so sure there’s been a reduction in dissent though! Certainly not from my experiences the last few seasons.

39 minutes ago, baldy said:

Think we are on the same page here. The entertainment value of PL footy has severely declined in the last 5 years or so. “Possession football” is boring, lots of tippy tappy even in your own half leads to much less in goalmouth action. Several instances of a home team not having a shot on target, or sometimes very few shots at all. The hyped product is in decline.

I do miss the days of national teams, and the clubs within their respective leagues, having distinctive styles. As an example, watched the Howard's Way documentary about Everton's superb side of the mid 80's recently. It was Trevor Steven who talked about the contrast in styles on display in the Cup Winners Cup semi v Bayern. The German side had their very technical and patient way of playing, Everton on the other hand, battered them physically. Sometimes right on the margins of fair play, but they muscled, tackled and ran them ragged. Nowadays, every thing is coached and analysed to within an inch of its life, and you don't get the contrasting football philosophies coming up against each other.