Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City New Signings

Setting aside the ongoing issues of the ground and ownership, three good signings made by Paul Wotton so far.

Ben Adelsbury - centre back (Taunton)

Ollie Knowles - midfield (Salisbury)

Jack Rice - forward (Willand)

Shows that the club and manager is still an attractive proposition for players, especially if the heavily rumoured arrival of Dan Sullivan from Taunton happens.

5 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Setting aside the ongoing issues of the ground and ownership, three good signings made by Paul Wotton so far.

Ben Adelsbury - centre back (Taunton)

Ollie Knowles - midfield (Salisbury)

Jack Rice - forward (Willand)

Shows that the club and manager is still an attractive proposition for players, especially if the heavily rumoured arrival of Dan Sullivan from Taunton happens.

Paul has clearly been getting on with his job, off field matters will sort in the fullness of time

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Kyle Egan joins from Tiverton and becomes Truro City's fourth signing of the summer.

Former Exeter City right back and very highly rated, looks like another excellent addition.

Certainly seems to be movement within the group of Cornwall and Devon players who have been playing Southern Premier football in recent seasons. Taking that as a sign Tiverton and Truro aren't downsizing on last season.

Parkway have replaced Taunton in this field but, with Taunton increasingly looking up the motorway and across the bridge, there may still be a few players floating around. Mind you, Weston-super-Mare aren't averse to looking at players from Exeter and usually pick up somebody.

It's rarely a "locals" game at that level, which makes Parkway different, although all the teams usually have a "local hero" or two. They don't come muxh better than Dayle Grubb at Weston.

28 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

Certainly seems to be movement within the group of Cornwall and Devon players who have been playing Southern Premier football in recent seasons. Taking that as a sign Tiverton and Truro aren't downsizing on last season.

Parkway have replaced Taunton in this field but, with Taunton increasingly looking up the motorway and across the bridge, there may still be a few players floating around. Mind you, Weston-super-Mare aren't averse to looking at players from Exeter and usually pick up somebody.

It's rarely a "locals" game at that level, which makes Parkway different, although all the teams usually have a "local hero" or two. They don't come muxh better than Dayle Grubb at Weston.

One of the stated aims from Parkway vice chair (and one of the club's founders), Gez Baggott as they progressed up the pyramid, was to offer Plymouth based players a high level of non league football.  For too many years, they have had to venture outside of the city to the likes of Truro, Dorchester, Weymouth, Taunton and Tiverton in search of step 3/4 (or higher) standard. Off the top of my head, 10 of the title winning squad from last season were local lads (which is probably a quite high ratio for a step 4 club). 

12 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

One of the stated aims from Parkway vice chair (and one of the club's founders), Gez Baggott as they progressed up the pyramid, was to offer Plymouth based players a high level of non league football.  For too many years, they have had to venture outside of the city to the likes of Truro, Dorchester, Weymouth, Taunton and Tiverton in search of step 3/4 (or higher) standard. Off the top of my head, 10 of the title winning squad from last season were local lads (which is probably a quite high ratio for a step 4 club). 

Parkway signing a lad from Bristol is proof that players will go where the money is.

River Allen and Matt Wright both dropped two divisions to sign for Parkway a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Tavi Fan said:

Parkway signing a lad from Bristol is proof that players will go where the money is.

River Allen and Matt Wright both dropped two divisions to sign for Parkway a few years ago.

Yes, being realistic, Tyler Langmead must have been "well looked after" to make the journey down from Bristol at least once a week. 

River Allen and Matt Wright (for different reasons) have to both go down as bad signings. Craig Veal is another that must have brought in at great expenses (lives in Honiton I believe) who also made little impact. Also Tom Bath, picking up a serious long term injury probably spared him from being let go at the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Jacob Grange ex Newquay and Godolphin getting 2 goals for Truro and 1 with his head i have never seen him score a goal with his head  good luck to the lad if it works out at Truro but he is moving around a bit he was also at Wendron if i remember rightly ,think Falmouth need a few signings leaking a lot of goals lately and they got the inform Wadebridge side on Wednesday ,i saw the 2 young lads from Truro Academy played for Falmouth today that was good .

It could be a long hard season for Falmouth but watch out for Mousehole they look very good 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Truro with a lot changes half time. But obviously outclassed Falmouth .  
I know it’s early but are the Falmouth fans positive for this season ? I just feel they could do with a few experienced heads in there. 

We'll  be fine sportsman 10 ,we were missing 6 first team regulars today .so no surprise at the result .Better to have absentees now than after the season has started .

Was great to have some city fans in the packet end enjoying the banter and the singing. They miss the atmosphere and talking to a couple ,they will be back throughout the season ,supporting the Town. Sad to see one of the Truro lads go off on a stretcher after a 50 /50 tackle ,hope he's  not still waiting for an ambulance .

Danny Sullivan confirmed for Truro. Another really good signing, his joining had to be one of the worst kept secrets in local football.  Would think that he couldn't be formally announced (or play) until he had served his four month suspension for sports betting infringements.

In other new player news for City, see that Jordan McCarthy (at Dobwalls last season, I think), Ryan Downing (Camelford) and Finn Harrison (Callington) have appeared for them in pre season. Good that Paul Wotton is taking a look at Peninsula League players. 

On 09/07/2022 at 18:21, 100%cornish said:

Jacob Grange ex Newquay and Godolphin getting 2 goals for Truro and 1 with his head i have never seen him score a goal with his head  good luck to the lad if it works out at Truro but he is moving around a bit he was also at Wendron if i remember rightly ,think Falmouth need a few signings leaking a lot of goals lately and they got the inform Wadebridge side on Wednesday ,i saw the 2 young lads from Truro Academy played for Falmouth today that was good .

It could be a long hard season for Falmouth but watch out for Mousehole they look very good 

Agree Mousehole look very good this season, strength in depth, some stars too. Would of thought Falmouth would of strengthened at the back but maybe they feel the squad is strong enough to continue form into this league. Challenges will be bigger for sure. Well done to ex Newquay player Jacob Grange, thought he did well. Excited to see my beloved peppermints play their first home game of pre season this weekend - seems a lot of the squad/goings on/signings have been kept quiet, has anyone heard anything?

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Newquay team will be mostly youngsters this year and i have heard they are pretty good we will see on Saturday when they play Bovey Tracey i thought they may of even cancelled this match seeing Newquay have got Bovey in the cup 

Yeah I noticed they have drawn Bovey in the cup, if anything it adds more interest to this pre season game really. I watched Newquay's game two weeks ago, ALOT of young players indeed, was a great young lad in the middle of midfield who looks a good addition. Signings wise the Orlando one seems to be just a rumour as he wasnt playing, didn't notice many new faces really apart from the youngsters, other than a chap who played right wing, very fast, and a new chap upfront who played the second half, was saying in a different thread he had very good movement which i feel Newquay have been lacking since the loss of Jack. Not sure who he was though. Will be an interesting season as there are several sides in the league that have really strengthend and flashed the cash this season and built strong squads. I am just excited to get back down to Mountwise and watch a good game of football though! Tipping Blazey this season i think

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Yes, know it was only a pre season friendly, but Truro getting beaten 5-1 by Willand Rovers last night must be a cause for concern.

Not sure who they had missing last night looked like just Dan Sullivan .  Back 4 looked like the one that will be starting. A bad loos a week before the season gets going  .  Another team that is in transition really. 

1 hour ago, Devils@Dusk said:

Not really.

It's like the people who support the lower leagues say, "friendlies don't matter"/teams are allowed to have an "off day"/one match doesn't make a season.

That's all of the cliches that I can think of. 

"It's more valuable minutes in the legs."

One that's usually used after a PSF defeat.

• 4 weeks later...