Cornwall Football Forum

Parkway new signings.

36 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Another good player for Lee  . I see Truro have signed Ben adelsbury I expected parkway to be in for him. Same as Dan Sullivan who also looks like he might end up at Truro 

Garside, Simpson and Rooney signed so far. Looks like Lee Hobbs is going for younger players. Think both Dan Sullivan and Ben Adelsbury are in their early 30's.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Garside, Simpson and Rooney signed so far. Looks like Lee Hobbs is going for younger players. Think both Dan Sullivan and Ben Adelsbury are in their early 30's.

Lee Hobbs would have been mad to say no to those two players.

Despite their ridiculous budget even Parkway wouldn’t have been able to convince them two to join over Truro from what I’ve heard. No idea where the money is coming from at Truro all of a sudden?

32 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Parkway were definitely looking at Ryan Brett. Dan Sullivan and  Alesbury . I guess the budget wasn’t there for them. Like you say we’re is this money coming from for Truro to sign that sort of player.  Not with gates of 60-70. 

They must be burning through that "relocation money" at a serious rate (unless of course there is a new benefactor on board).

Reading on the Plymouth Live site that Parkway will announce another three signings this week. Good interview with Lee Hobbs in which he goes into detail on why he decided to release several players, and elaborates on why he brought back Karl Curtis. 

something I have never quite got my head around on here is the huge amount of TCFC bashing ?

Cornwall has cried out for decades about not having a team in the football league, yet when one does start to try and get to those dizzy heights they are laughed at with glee as the doomsayers rub their hands from the safety of their garden machinery sheds and tea huts.

Sure Truro may have gone about things in a different way and they where well and truly done over by unscrupulous business vultures but I for one would love to see them at least in the Vanarama league.

It is quite obvious that PPFC must have someone bankrolling them but the history should not be ignored, they pull the plug you sink simple but again , I would love to see Parkway rise through the ranks and go on to great things and dizzy heights too.

Great signings again there, Lee certainly knows what it will take to mount a serious challenge next season.

58 minutes ago, Footy Detective said:

something I have never quite got my head around on here is the huge amount of TCFC bashing ?

Cornwall has cried out for decades about not having a team in the football league, yet when one does start to try and get to those dizzy heights they are laughed at with glee as the doomsayers rub their hands from the safety of their garden machinery sheds and tea huts.

Sure Truro may have gone about things in a different way and they where well and truly done over by unscrupulous business vultures but I for one would love to see them at least in the Vanarama league.

It is quite obvious that PPFC must have someone bankrolling them but the history should not be ignored, they pull the plug you sink simple but again , I would love to see Parkway rise through the ranks and go on to great things and dizzy heights too.

Great signings again there, Lee certainly knows what it will take to mount a serious challenge next season.

The problem is apart from the name there nothing else Cornish about truro. .  The manager and assistant are from Plymouth. They play in Plymouth most of the team are from Plymouth or Devon based. Don’t see why Cornwall would be that bothered about Truro going up.  Can tell that by that fans that attend. 

10 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Latest signing is Bristol based?! Given the price of fuel I’m assuming another one or two from that way might be joining

Lives in Portishead apparently according to his Twitter account. Think you're probably right there about other signings from that area. Guess it's a case of watch this space. 

1 hour ago, Footy Detective said:

Can’t get your head around the TCFC bashing but you can for all the Helston bashing? Oh the irony. 

2 hours ago, Footy Detective said:

There has undoubtedly been financial backing/investment at Parkway, but a lot of money has gone into developing the infrastructure around the club. Could reel off a long list of improvements to the ground, surrounding area and clubhouse/bar, but it has been done with the ultimate aim of making the club self financing. To this end also, a full time Commercial Manager has recently been appointed. Similar levels of work also seem to have happened at Helston's Kellaway Park. Don't think much of this ever happened at Treyew Road, which was fair enough I guess if the plan was always to move to a new stadium. 

I do believe though that Parkway need to get the average gates up, on occasions last season they were in the range of 250-300 (especially when they clashed with an Argyle Saturday), would think you need regular attendances of 450-500 to keep you competitive financially at step 3 level. There has to be a worry that, if Parkway start slowly or even struggle over the season, the crowds will drop back to the 200 or so devotees. There is a lot of other football in the area competing for people's attention and hard earned money.

Anyway, Tyler Ashmead, another exciting signing. Fits the profile of bringing in young players that are proven at step 3 and above. Living in Bristol though, he'll certainly get familiar with the M5/A38.

6 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

How much do Parkway really know about this player? Not suggesting he’s a bad player etc but it seems as though Hobbs is basing it off one or two games in recent seasons.

Do they have “scouts” further up the line?

He has eyes and ears everywhere. 

8 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

How much do Parkway really know about this player? Not suggesting he’s a bad player etc but it seems as though Hobbs is basing it off one or two games in recent seasons.

Do they have “scouts” further up the line?

Lee Hobbs knows more about the players in the south west then any other manger combined. That one thing he is really good out. 

10 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

The problem is apart from the name there nothing else Cornish about truro. .  The manager and assistant are from Plymouth. They play in Plymouth most of the team are from Plymouth or Devon based. Don’t see why Cornwall would be that bothered about Truro going up.  Can tell that by that fans that attend. 

That’s a statement not an argument 

9 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Figures as reported in the Falmouth Packet 20th January 2021.

Don’t believe all you read

12 hours ago, Peter Masters said:

That’s a statement not an argument 

Don’t believe all you read

I'm going to leave this alone now. What I would say is that they are figures quoted in a widely circulated newspaper, in an article written by a (I assume) trained journalist that I would think has received this from a reliable source, then confirmed them and received editorial approval prior to publication. If they are incorrect, I am not aware of any correction from Truro City. 

16 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Again an ok signing not the sort of players I think Lee had as first choice. I assume Rocky and Harvey were out of budget. Still a good young squad should do well. 

Another player with step 3 and above experience, which will be vital. From what I saw last season, Southern Prem is quite a jump up. Not necessarily in terms of football quality, but physicality and pace. The sides I saw had real big units at the back, and small, yet quick, forwards. Ball tended to go forward quite directly to try and get the big players at the back turning and pulled wide. Rocky Neale is perfect for this league. As with the Western and Southern South campaigns, Parkway will probably have to tweak and adapt their playing style to suit. 42 game league season as well, so a bigger squad is undoubtedly needed. Also think there'll be more prioritisation of league over FA Trophy than last time around.

The rumoured player that I have heard as being next in fits the criteria in terms of experience and physicality.

10 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Another player with step 3 and above experience, which will be vital. From what I saw last season, Southern Prem is quite a jump up. Not necessarily in terms of football quality, but physicality and pace. The sides I saw had real big units at the back, and small, yet quick, forwards. Ball tended to go forward quite directly to try and get the big players at the back turning and pulled wide. Rocky Neale is perfect for this league. As with the Western and Southern South campaigns, Parkway will probably have to tweak and adapt their playing style to suit. 42 game league season as well, so a bigger squad is undoubtedly needed. Also think there'll be more prioritisation of league over FA Trophy than last time around.

The rumoured player that I have heard as being next in fits the criteria in terms of experience and physicality.

Suprised they never went for someone like Owen Howe. Would be perfect to lead the line and physical and knows the league inside out. 

Just now, sportsman10 said:

Suprised they never went for someone like Owen Howe. Would be perfect to lead the line and physical and knows the league inside out. 

Owen Howe is a proven goal scorer at this level, but he is a bit of a tinder box (both on and off the field) who always seems to leave clubs under a cloud. Heard somewhere as well that he, "doesn't do training."

Austen Booth is Parkway's 6th signing of the summer.

A powerful centre back or holding midfield player, he previously played at Bolitho in the early days of Lee Hobbs' managerial reign back in the Peninsula League of 2016/17. Enhanced his reputation with spells at Truro and Tiverton  

Always love the short to camera clips around every Parkway signing, the usual theme is "I'll give 100% and can't wait to get started." Would say that is the minimum expected .

Athough  "you'll be looking at 60% or so most games, and I'm not looking forward to pre season training that much to be honest" would make people question why they had joined. 😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2022 at 10:16, Way Of The Park said:

Anyway, Tyler Ashmead, another exciting signing. Fits the profile of bringing in young players that are proven at step 3 and above. Living in Bristol though, he'll certainly get familiar with the M5/A38.

Looked absolutely terrible yesterday vs torpoint, couldn't handle the winger who is almost his age. 

Sounds more like a signing on he's played here and there so I'll sign. 

Tbf parkway didn't look great yesterday, I know it's only pre season but you'd expect them to walk over torpoint who fought hard all game and even created the better chances and could of nicked it. All well and good having the ball at the back but lacked that cutting edge to create much. Maybe they underestimated torpoint .

4 hours ago, Southwest football fan said:

Looked absolutely terrible yesterday vs torpoint, couldn't handle the winger who is almost his age. 

Sounds more like a signing on he's played here and there so I'll sign. 

Tbf parkway didn't look great yesterday, I know it's only pre season but you'd expect them to walk over torpoint who fought hard all game and even created the better chances and could of nicked it. All well and good having the ball at the back but lacked that cutting edge to create much. Maybe they underestimated torpoint .

I watched parkway last season they couldn’t buy a goal or a win for ages they didn’t end up doing too bad.
It’s a pre season game tons of changes , played in boiling weather. It’s nothing more then a training game.  No one going to walk over anyone. They drew 2-2 with argyle who play league 1 

ashmead has only played half a game. Also had injuries so parkway have not been over playing him.  Sure when season is here they will be fine. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

I watched parkway last season they couldn’t buy a goal or a win for ages they didn’t end up doing too bad.
It’s a pre season game tons of changes , played in boiling weather. It’s nothing more then a training game.  No one going to walk over anyone. They drew 2-2 with argyle who play league 1 

ashmead has only played half a game. Also had injuries so parkway have not been over playing him.  Sure when season is here they will be fine. 

No such thing as a training game, players are there especially the new ones to try and impress the manager. I bet he wasn't happy with the result at all, blaming the pitch etc 

2 hours ago, Southwest football fan said:

No such thing as a training game, players are there especially the new ones to try and impress the manager. I bet he wasn't happy with the result at all, blaming the pitch etc 

Only pre season, nothing to worry about. By all accounts Parkway were mediocre in pre season last summer (and that went OK), and I remember them being poor in pre-season 2013/14 (and that ended up in a treble).

8 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Only pre season, nothing to worry about. By all accounts Parkway were mediocre in pre season last summer (and that went OK), and I remember them being poor in pre-season 2013/14 (and that ended up in a treble).

Yeah but how many of those players in pre season actually ended the season? They shifted loads 

1 hour ago, Southwest football fan said:

Yeah but how many of those players in pre season actually ended the season? They shifted loads 

Don't remember what the turnover was in pre season 2013/14, but the big moment from last year was Rob Farkins being moved out after Parkway got a chasing at Mousehole. Controversial decision at the time, but since proven that Lee Hobbs got it right. This is what pre season is about, not the results.

8 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Don't remember what the turnover was in pre season 2013/14, but the big moment from last year was Rob Farkins being moved out after Parkway got a chasing at Mousehole. Controversial decision at the time, but since proven that Lee Hobbs got it right. This is what pre season is about, not the results.

Agree and I'm just going by my observation as well that some didn't look up to it yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching parkway at Saltash tonight they will rely heavily on Ben Seymour up front  , not convinced on the lad Simpson yet he looks like he needs a few more games to get up and running and crago looked a bit below par. 
first game coming up much for Lee and Karl to work on. 

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Watching parkway at Saltash tonight they will rely heavily on Ben Seymour up front  , not convinced on the lad Simpson yet he looks like he needs a few more games to get up and running and crago looked a bit below par. 
first game coming up much for Lee and Karl to work on. 

Would say that Parkway are usually poor in pre season, and things generally click into place when the proper stuff begins.

Don't know if ex Argyle and Truro striker Louis Rooney is still on trial, he could be being looked at as another option in attack.

Onto Tavi this Saturday this week for the final PSF, although there's not usually much that's friendly between these two sides. 

• 2 weeks later...