Cornwall Football Forum

Peninsula East

5 minutes ago, Buckland Jim said:

Looking at that Honiton pic again, it looks like a seated stand is also in situ further along from their old covered standing bit (looks like blue seats?). 

Yes, Brixham have put the fencing in too, forgot about that. 

Yes, you're right about the stand. 

When Honiton first joined the Peninsula they were apparently using former plastic bike sheds from the Hydrographic Office in Taunton - as dugouts I think.

There are also a number of old green seats from the cricket at Taunton knocking about various grounds. A fair number at Bickleigh who were briefly in the Peninsula.

On 12/09/2022 at 14:22, Philheybrookbay said:

I see Bridport sacked their manager on Friday.  

Rather a "left field" appointment in the first place although I can understand why clubs sometimes go that way. Especially when the person in front of you is something of an unknown quantity and makes claims that are hard to substantiate. Torquay United was once sold to such an individual!

In this case Bridport appointed somebody who apparently had coached young players associated with Yeovil Town. Presumably this was checked out so it might just be that this experience didn't amount to much when it came to adult football.       

Nor do you want to be too much of an old cynic and knock ambition. But maybe it was tempting to read between the lines of the story that reported he was selling his pizza business in Yeovil to pursue his ambition of becoming a Premier League coach:

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/yeovil-businessman-put-restaurant-up-5532455

Strikes me as possibly for the best that Bridport got it sorted sooner rather than later. Interesting if Edgar resurfaces and proves people wrong.,   

Okehampton move into second place behind Ivybridge in the Peninsula East after beating Torrington 2-0. Both goals from Luke Mortimore, who is one of several players in the side that probably should be playing at step 3/4 level. Real contenders in a league that looks like it will be very competitive regarding both the title race, and the coveted top 4 placings.

57 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Okehampton move into second place behind Ivybridge in the Peninsula East after beating Torrington 2-0. Both goals from Luke Mortimore, who is one of several players in the side that probably should be playing at step 3/4 level. Real contenders in a league that looks like it will be very competitive regarding both the title race, and the coveted top 4 placings.

Result of the night must be Bovey Tracey winning at Ivybridge to end the home side's 100% start. 

• 3 weeks later...

On the basis that Axminster, Brixham, Ivybridge and Okehampton were amongst the "fancied" teams at the start of the season it's interesting to see that seven of the twelve fixtures between the four have already been played. Ivybridge have played in five of these and have won four; Brixham have won three of four; Axminster and Okehampton have lost the games they've played against the others.

Against the rest of the league the above teams have only lost two of twenty-five games.

Crediton are unbeaten but have only played Axminster of the four (both drawn). Dartmouth have only faced Ivybridge but have a scheduled run of Okehampton, Ivybridge, Axbridge, Okehampton and Crediton in October and November.

I'm guessing Brixham and Ivybridge looking most likely. Then it's two from four which may well become two from three by Christmas. Will also know more about Bovey, Newton Spurs and Teignmouth by then - outside contenders or 'best of the rest'?  

1 hour ago, Easterfield said:

On the basis that Axminster, Brixham, Ivybridge and Okehampton were amongst the "fancied" teams at the start of the season it's interesting to see that seven of the twelve fixtures between the four have already been played. Ivybridge have played in five of these and have won four; Brixham have won three of four; Axminster and Okehampton have lost the games they've played against the others.

Against the rest of the league the above teams have only lost two of twenty-five games.

Crediton are unbeaten but have only played Axminster of the four (both drawn). Dartmouth have only faced Ivybridge but have a scheduled run of Okehampton, Ivybridge, Axbridge, Okehampton and Crediton in October and November.

I'm guessing Brixham and Ivybridge looking most likely. Then it's two from four which may well become two from three by Christmas. Will also know more about Bovey, Newton Spurs and Teignmouth by then - outside contenders or 'best of the rest'?  

I think brixham are the strongest. Then it’s a toss up between okehampton & Ivybridge 

I just feel Ivybridge haven’t really got strength in depth. Tho they have brought a ‘Ringer’ in once or twice in using a Saltash player

whsts everyone’s thoughts on the strength of say the top 2/3 from both leagues? 
ie. Blazey. Liskeard wendron/wadebridge 

compared to 

Brixham. Ivybridge okehampton

I think the top sides in East and West you mention are broadly comparable, but outside of that the East is stronger, largely to exodus of the better clubs from SWPL West to the WL. Look at the Vase results as a comparator.

Traditionally I’ve always seen the West as far stronger, but not now. Next season Step 6 will be very weak.

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I think the top sides in East and West you mention are broadly comparable, but outside of that the East is stronger, largely to exodus of the better clubs from SWPL West to the WL. Look at the Vase results as a comparator.

Traditionally I’ve always seen the West as far stronger, but not now. Next season Step 6 will be very weak.

Think that sums it up well; FA Vase always good indicator. Walter C Parsons games coming up although a fair few of these pit a stronger team from one section against a weaker from the other. But Axminster v Wadebridge tomorrow features good sides from East and West; Newton Abbot Spurs v Newquay and Teignmouth v St Austell next week will be more middle-ground all round.

Step 6 next season is something of a paradox. It needs a good supply of clubs from below to keep the geographical balance. Without this, there may be a drift westwards  (Devon clubs keeping West numbers up; Somerset/Dorset likewise in the Central section). Look at the Western Division 1 table and clubs such as Bishops Lydeard, GillinghamTown and Wincanton Town could be candidates for moving to the predominantly-Devon section. 

Would Elburton, Holsworthy and Marjons moving West do more for the division than, say, three teams from the St Pirans? Likewise in Devon with Somerset/Dorset clubs rather than new arrivals from the Devon League. Swings and roundabouts I guess.   

4 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Both divisions certainly very tight (6 points separating the top 7 in the west, and 5 points the difference from 1st to 5th in the east), so the remainder of the season and race for titles, promotion and top 4 in the reshuffle slots, look like they will be very exciting. Good for the league in terms of prolonged interest, but not sure what it says about the quality. Given how many teams have moved onto step 5 (and beyond) in recent years, it is probably inevitable that the standard has dropped across both divisions. Will take a few seasons of the new format, and promotions/relegation having an effect, before judgements can be reached on the playing standards of the new league.

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

See that Kevin Miller has been appointed goalkeeper coach at Exeter City. No mention in the report if he will be carrying on as manager at Peninsula East table toppers, Okehampton Argyle.

No - gets a mention in this week's up and coming Rappo & Deacs Friday Fix podcast - in the SWPL Phil Hiscox section

On 15/12/2022 at 12:52, Dave Deacon said:

No - gets a mention in this week's up and coming Rappo & Deacs Friday Fix podcast - in the SWPL Phil Hiscox section

Having been Kev Ms assistant until his recent departure to take up the Exeter City Goalkeeping Coach position on a permanent basis, as per Phil's comments on the Podcast, I will be stepping into the hot seat with Liam Dart coming in to work with me until the end of the season.

We had indeed taken the reins for the last three games whilst Kev M has been away with Exeter and now have the unenviable task of keeping us at the top of the table.

We go into Christmas in a strong position but with Crediton United, Ivybridge Town and Brixham breathing down our necks it makes for an exciting 2nd half of the season.