Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance announce new management

Penzance Afc are delighted to announce a new management team for their Kitchen Kit South West Peninsula League side. Returning to the fold at Penlee Park are John McCallum and Adrian Ferrell as joint managers .
John spent the majority of his illustrious playing career here and ,like his father 'Geordie',went onto  managing  the Magpies alongside his assistant Adrian.
The partnership return after a good spell with neighours Mousehole Academy.
It is hoped that with their vast knowledge of the local playing scene that the good times will soon return to Penlee Park .
Lots of hard work has taken place off the pitch ,with more continuing throughout the summer months.
The Club are indebted to Kevin Lawrence for taking the reins last season in what were very difficult circumstances. 
All at Penzance are looking forward to a more prosperous era starting tonight with the Club's annual Presentation Evening beginning at 730pm.

Thank you to the other serious candidates.

I must say I don’t think this is a step forward, inheriting 2 managers from Mousehole who I’d imagine were getting relieved of their duties anyway due to a pretty average season, not really in the know player wise anymore so a decent budget is going to be a must as well, I’m basically foreseeing the Mousehole St Piran’s side now wearing black and white instead of green! 
I’ll keep my fingers crossed that My opinions are wrong and Penzance AFC can turn a corner.

3 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

I must say I don’t think this is a step forward, inheriting 2 managers from Mousehole who I’d imagine were getting relieved of their duties anyway due to a pretty average season, not really in the know player wise anymore so a decent budget is going to be a must as well, I’m basically foreseeing the Mousehole St Piran’s side now wearing black and white instead of green! 
I’ll keep my fingers crossed that My opinions are wrong and Penzance AFC can turn a corner.

I believe you may be surprised but only time will tell. There is a really positive vibe throughout the Club at present, as well as a genuine desire to get closer to some of the glory days of the past. It won't happen over-night; boom & bust is not an option; patience and sustainability are the key factors going forward.

9 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

It’s alright bringing in these two but what players are they bringing in Penzance has struggled for good quality players recently not a manager. 

Agree, I’m struggling to see any improvement unless there’s a significant budget on offer, Mousehole Reserves haven’t exactly flourished under the pairing and played pretty average football, out of the loop on players as well so it’s not for me, I would have liked to see a younger more up to date management setup.

Just love the negativity!

Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion but currently have no knowledge at all about how Penzance are aiming to achieve the much desired progress. Only time will tell if the strategy is successful; the Club is confident that the future - embracing those with our own "DNA" - will be brighter....... but, I repeat, patience and sustainability are essential elements of the plan.

23 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion but currently have no knowledge at all about how Penzance are aiming to achieve the much desired progress. Only time will tell if the strategy is successful; the Club is confident that the future - embracing those with our own "DNA" - will be brighter....... but, I repeat, patience and sustainability are essential elements of the plan.

Appreciate that John, just my opinion which I’m free to exercise, time will tell wether it’s been the right appointment or not, my opinion no but we’ll see and I hope for Penzance I’m wrong.

3 minutes ago, THEMAGPIE said:

Appreciate that John, just my opinion which I’m free to exercise, time will tell wether it’s been the right appointment or not, my opinion no but we’ll see and I hope for Penzance I’m wrong.

I just think the way forward would be with a younger management team who are connected to the younger players and in the know around these circles, in my opinion the managers now appointed are the opposite and as we all know will demand a substantial budget to form a competitive team, just looks like history repeating itself which is how the decline of this once great Club started to manifest in the first place.

Sorry if you don’t see my reasoning.

33 minutes ago, THEMAGPIE said:

Sorry if you don’t see my reasoning.

I hope you're wrong as well! 

My belief is that we are covering all angles as far as recruitment of managing, back-room and playing personnel. We certainly do not have "a substantial budget" and don't expect to be challenging for League trophies during the forthcoming season - just a marked improvement from last season.

Enough from me!

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

Good luck to them hope it goes well, I for one would love to see penzance doing well again along with Falmouth and Newquay probably 1 of the county’s historic big clubs 

4 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Hearing the guy that has something to do with the cricket in Pz, or had something to do with the cricket ( financially) is going to injecting some cash. Godfrey I believe his name is 

Your source obviously doesn’t know too much about our Chairman's philosophy then. Actually, we're relying on our Euromillions syndicate to boost the coffers. Just need a bit of luck!