DIVISION ONE WEST

AFC Bodmin                        4-0          Tregrehan Mills

Lostwithiel                          2-1          Gorran

Mevagissey                        0-2          St Merryn

Nanpean Rovers               7-1          St Eval Spitfires

DIVISION TWO

Biscovey                              H/W       Grampound

Looe Town Reserves      H/W       Week St Mary

Apologies to Looe for not being able to field a side today. The game was originally scheduled for last week and postponed at the last minute and moved to this week. Many of our squad had already made plans as they expected our season to have been over. Unfortunately we couldn’t persuade the fringe players to make the trip. 

Just putting this out there, I dropped a clanger with the rules for Tintagel a few months back with 3 games forfeited. Took the advice from the committee at the time and told Tintagel it was 3 strikes and your out. It then followed with Holywell a few weeks back: 

There is no rule of 3 strikes and your out so I take full responsibility for the error, I should have looked deeper into the ruling. 
it made no difference to league standings as all involved in top spots had the same points deducted etc.

I have spoken with Both Holywell and Tintagel a few weeks back and explained.

Today Polperro failed to fulfill their 3rd fixture and I can let you know that the games will not be expunged and the season will continue as is and Polperro will be expected to complete their last game. 
if anyone has any questions please direct them to me via email at duchyleague@outlook.com

4 hours ago, Derek Walker said:

Just putting this out there, I dropped a clanger with the rules for Tintagel a few months back with 3 games forfeited. Took the advice from the committee at the time and told Tintagel it was 3 strikes and your out. It then followed with Holywell a few weeks back: 

There is no rule of 3 strikes and your out so I take full responsibility for the error, I should have looked deeper into the ruling. 
it made no difference to league standings as all involved in top spots had the same points deducted etc.

Today Polperro failed to fulfill their 3rd fixture and I can let you know that the games will not be expunged and the season will continue as is and Polperro will be expected to complete their last game. 
if anyone has any questions please direct them to me via email at duchyleague@outlook.com

Well Holywell were kicked out for exactly this?

2 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Surely you need to step down from your position for this massive mistake. Holywell didn’t want to leave the league! Such a shame 

I absolutely agree. This bloke has killed 2 football clubs with his mistakes. Should of just deducted points, not fold football clubs. Tintagel is a great football club with a lot of history back in the day. 

Absolutely disgusting!! 

4 hours ago, Pasty Lover said:

Anything too help his beloved nanpean win titles hey 😂. Resign now.. You are a absolute joke!!! Disgusting act and making a mess of the duchy league. Utter shambles 

Not sure if either Tintagel or Holywell were much of a threat to Nanpean winning the title.

Surely it is against all FA rulings to dispel two teams half way through the season for the same offence by Polperro Reserves. This is really unfair on Holywell and Tintagel who both wanted to remain in the league but were forced to withdraw. Where is the consistency and integrity? This is great news for North Petherwin who will not lose any points as a result of this craziness but Bude should now be champions. If you make a rule from the start of the season and you enforce it, you surely cannot change that rule half way through a season. I’d be interested to know what higher up would think about this. 

16 hours ago, Derek Walker said:

Unfortunately this just isn’t a satisfactory explanation or justification. Clubs enter into a league based on the understanding that they will be administrated and managed fairly and this is a blatant case of one rule for one (or two clubs in this case) and one rule for another. The decision was made and a precedent set that two clubs would be expunged because they failed to fulfil three fixtures. It is therefore not fair or acceptable to re-evaluate this precedent during the same season without due process taking place. The league have made their bed in terms of the action they take for clubs not fulfilling three fixtures in the 2021/22 season and I’m sure expunging two good clubs from the league was not taken lightly. To now change that precedent is not only farcical it makes a mockery of the whole process. It is also disappointing to think that a brief message on here. flippantly explaining such a colossal change of tack is considered acceptable. It is certainly no solace to the several clubs seriously affected by this bizarre change in league policy. 

Losty 2 Gorran 1

A well contested game between 2 sides trying to play football on a rock hard surface. Chris Ashton with a screamer and a Liam Rooney OG meant it was level at HT. Early in the 2nd half Jonny Harris playing his first game of the season brilliantly set up Connor Phillips for the decisive goal.  Both teams had chances but the game ended with no further goals. A big thank you to our Ref Ashley and Mick and XB1 for their lino duties. Thanks to the Gorran Lads who came back for a drink, sitting in the sun and having a laugh and a pint is what football should be like and hopefully we can all do it again next year. Have a good summer all.  Cheers Bill/

5 minutes ago, Seasider9 said:

Unfortunately this just isn’t a satisfactory explanation or justification. Clubs enter into a league based on the understanding that they will be administrated and managed fairly and this is a blatant case of one rule for one (or two clubs in this case) and one rule for another. The decision was made and a precedent set that two clubs would be expunged because they failed to fulfil three fixtures. It is therefore not fair or acceptable to re-evaluate this precedent during the same season without due process taking place. The league have made their bed in terms of the action they take for clubs not fulfilling three fixtures in the 2021/22 season and I’m sure expunging two good clubs from the league was not taken lightly. To now change that precedent is not only farcical it makes a mockery of the whole process. It is also disappointing to think that a brief message on here. flippantly explaining such a colossal change of tack is considered acceptable. It is certainly no solace to the several clubs seriously affected by this bizarre change in league policy. 

I would like to hope that other clubs from the Duchy Leagues would be in agreement to this and would speak up. I have followed and enjoyed local football for many, many years and have never seen anything quite like this before. The other thing to consider is that Bude had 14 goals wiped off from their game at Tintagel and didn’t get a chance to play them at home due to them being expunged and it looks as goal difference is playing a big part in the final standings in that division. The league needs to stick to their original rulings which they have set up at the start of the season and enforced and then use their new stance at the start of next season and make sure that all clubs recognise the rulings in place. To change them half way through a season to benefit one club but also  ruin two clubs plus take the title away from Bude is horrendous.

I’m sure the League committee will take whatever action against us at Polperro as they deem appropriate; we certainly won’t be arguing their decision after a nightmare end to the season in terms of player commitment. 
Would have thought a big club like Bude would want to win a title on the pitch rather than trying to get their two defeats against Polperro expunged from the table though….. 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I’m sure the League committee will take whatever action against us at Polperro as they deem appropriate; we certainly won’t be arguing their decision after a nightmare end to the season in terms of player commitment. 
Would have thought a big club like Bude would want to win a title on the pitch rather than trying to get their two defeats against Polperro expunged from the table though….. 

I’d imagine that Bude would just want things to be fair and for a level playing field.

15 hours ago, Rjw87 said:

I absolutely agree. This bloke has killed 2 football clubs with his mistakes. Should of just deducted points, not fold football clubs. Tintagel is a great football club with a lot of history back in the day. 

Absolutely disgusting!! 

How about it’s taken out of this “blokes” hands and these so called clubs turn up with enough players to fulfil their duties as a football club,  Or better still you step up to the plate and do a better job yourself. Any can pipe up on a forum. Ps nanpean we’re always gonna do what they do. They do it week in week out. 

Edited by Dave Deacon
Language!

15 hours ago, Pasty Lover said:

Anything too help his beloved nanpean win titles hey 😂. Resign now.. You are a absolute joke!!! Disgusting act and making a mess of the duchy league. Utter shambles 

Nanpean were winning that league regardless.  all was stopping them. Absolute disrespect to think that anyone had a hand in this league victory.

Your the absolute joke.  

Think we are off topic here. In the Duchy West Holywell were expunged because they couldn’t get a team three times in the leagues 3 strike rule. Same thing happened to Tintagel in the Duchy East and they were expunged. Now Polperro have done it, they have scrapped the rule that they have made making a mockery of the league, rules and fair play. 

“In response to Derek Walker’s post regarding the expunging of certain teams results. I saw some of my former colleagues at the Junior Cup Final last week so have gained some knowledge of the events.

Firstly in regard of Tintagel I understand that the club could not guarantee getting players on a regular basis so were unable to complete the season. As they had not completed 75% of their fixtures their results were correctly expunged from league records. Hopefully Tintagel will be able to reform and I am sure would be welcomed back in the Duchy League.

The position of Holywell/Cubert is different. They had completed 75% of fixtures and therefore the remaining games should have been awarded to the opponents and the previous  records kept in. This is  where an error has been made and hopefully the league will be able through Full-Time to reinstate those records. This won’t alter league positions I believe.

Lastly Polperro, are in the same position as Holywell and having completed 75% of fixtures so their records should remain.

Whilst I accept that league officers should be fully aware of the rules, in their defence both Paul Collings and myself were the rule experts on the league and both retired within a few months of each other. Add in two uncompleted seasons, zoom meetings etc an error has been made which Derek has been very honest in admitting, something our politicians would do well to heed.

As for those calling for Derek’s resignation, can I assume that you will be putting yourselves forward to take over the role? Finding volunteers to run any organisation is getting harder year by year and is not helped by these kind of remarks.

The Duchy League is in new hands and they will learn from this mistake, I have no doubt of that.

Mike Newcombe – former secretary “

57 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

“In response to Derek Walker’s post regarding the expunging of certain teams results. I saw some of my former colleagues at the Junior Cup Final last week so have gained some knowledge of the events.

Firstly in regard of Tintagel I understand that the club could not guarantee getting players on a regular basis so were unable to complete the season. As they had not completed 75% of their fixtures their results were correctly expunged from league records. Hopefully Tintagel will be able to reform and I am sure would be welcomed back in the Duchy League.

The position of Holywell/Cubert is different. They had completed 75% of fixtures and therefore the remaining games should have been awarded to the opponents and the previous  records kept in. This is  where an error has been made and hopefully the league will be able through Full-Time to reinstate those records. This won’t alter league positions I believe.

Lastly Polperro, are in the same position as Holywell and having completed 75% of fixtures so their records should remain.

Whilst I accept that league officers should be fully aware of the rules, in their defence both Paul Collings and myself were the rule experts on the league and both retired within a few months of each other. Add in two uncompleted seasons, zoom meetings etc an error has been made which Derek has been very honest in admitting, something our politicians would do well to heed.

As for those calling for Derek’s resignation, can I assume that you will be putting yourselves forward to take over the role? Finding volunteers to run any organisation is getting harder year by year and is not helped by these kind of remarks.

The Duchy League is in new hands and they will learn from this mistake, I have no doubt of that.

Mike Newcombe – former secretary “

Can’t have volunteers making mistake like that no matter what it is. Wouldn’t happen in a charity shop. He should stand down it’s a totally mockery and lack of respect for each club.Holywell wanted to continue Dan said that himself on here. The volunteers that run clubs and work hard have lost what they built. Definitely doesn’t have an effect in any league winner but it does in the club that now need to be re elected and start again. As for polpero they can continue to build for next season knowing they are still in a league!  He would have been better off not putting a post on here! 

2 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Can’t have volunteers making mistake like that no matter what it is. Wouldn’t happen in a charity shop. He should stand down it’s a totally mockery and lack of respect for each club.Holywell wanted to continue Dan said that himself on here. The volunteers that run clubs and work hard have lost what they built. Definitely doesn’t have an effect in any league winner but it does in the club that now need to be re elected and start again. As for polpero they can continue to build for next season knowing they are still in a league!  He would have been better off not putting a post on here! 

Are you going to take over then?

42 minutes ago, dhecfc said:

Tintagel actually played 20 games which is 77% of the season so more incorrect information being thrown about. 

Agree with you that when they dropped out they had as "played" in the league table 20. Although 3 of those 20 games were walkovers to the opposition, so technically they actually played getting out on the pitch 17. Which makes it around 65%.

Interesting!

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Agree with you that when they dropped out they had as "played" in the league table 20. Although 3 of those 20 games were walkovers to the opposition, so technically they actually played getting out on the pitch 17. Which makes it around 65%.

Interesting!

So you expunged Tintagel when you shouldn’t have as they had theoretically played 77% of their games (the 3 they couldn’t play the points were awarded to the other teams and showed that the games HAD been played) 

You have admitted that you messed up with Holywell in your previous post and said that you expunged them when you shouldn’t have.

And now Polperro have commited the same ‘crime’ as Tintagel but get to carry on. 

You have had a shocker.

6 hours ago, dhecfc said:

So you expunged Tintagel when you shouldn’t have as they had theoretically played 77% of their games (the 3 they couldn’t play the points were awarded to the other teams and showed that the games HAD been played) 

You have admitted that you messed up with Holywell in your previous post and said that you expunged them when you shouldn’t have.

And now Polperro have commited the same ‘crime’ as Tintagel but get to carry on. 

You have had a shocker.

Really not a great look in Cornish football. Hopefully the league now let these sides join back into the same league for next season with out any hassle 

If the witch hunt carries on you might not have a “next season” to worry about. These people are volunteers, giving up their free time to provide you with football on a Saturday. 
Be careful what you wish for - local football is dying on its a$$ and comments like some of the ones on here  show one of the reasons why. 

Surprised noone has blamed the referees as thats the usual scapegoat.

6 hours ago, dhecfc said:

You have had a shocker.

So what you are saying is continue to apply the rule incorrectly?

50 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I like the way no fault is placed on the players who due to their lack of commitment caused these problems in the first place!

It doesn't help when you've got SWP players playing Duchy football with brown envelopes promised to them post match! When you've got 16 year olds of Holywell & St Eval getting slapped by Nanpean/St Columb brutes, why would they want to come back? Competitiveness of this division is in the mud!

1 hour ago, MattP said:

If the witch hunt carries on you might not have a “next season” to worry about. These people are volunteers, giving up their free time to provide you with football on a Saturday. 
Be careful what you wish for - local football is dying on its a$$ and comments like some of the ones on here  show one of the reasons why. 

I wonder if you would react this way if your beloved polpero were kicked out the league like the other two. I think it’s being forgotten that this is a big mistake that cost two clubs massively we can’t get away from that fact.  

14 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Get a grip. It's grassroots ffs. Any volunteer that gives up their time deserves full credit. They can't get everything 100% right. You'recompletely over-reacting 

If there were more volunteers and more committed players these sorts of things would be less likely to happen in the first place. 

It's just a mistake, let them deal with it. Never made a mistake yourself Buzz Lightfingers?? 

7 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

I wonder if you would react this way if your beloved polpero were kicked out the league like the other two. I think it’s being forgotten that this is a big mistake that cost two clubs massively we can’t get away from that fact.  

Making a three strike rule and following it through twice but not on the third occasion. Two established clubs being made to fold because of the rule. Back tracking on said rule and using reasoning which again is not correct. To make things fair, Tintagel need to be reinstated and everyone gets their figures updated or they need to take a precedent and expunge Polperro as well. What they have done is completely unfair and should be rectified. I know people make mistakes, I get that. But I haven’t seen anything like this in local football before.

1 minute ago, dhecfc said:

Making a three strike rule and following it through twice but not on the third occasion. Two established clubs being made to fold because of the rule. Back tracking on said rule and using reasoning which again is not correct. To make things fair, Tintagel need to be reinstated and everyone gets their figures updated or they need to take a precedent and expunge Polperro as well. What they have done is completely unfair and should be rectified. I know people make mistakes, I get that. But I haven’t seen anything like this in local football before.

Who has said they won’t follow it through? It’s been 48hrs. I’m sure the league committee will make the best decision they can in terms of consistency - there will certainly be no argument from us, whatever their decision. 

17 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

Well Jamie, we’ll await the League’s decision on that - with one game to go, as long as consistency is applied I wouldn’t think there would be too many complaints. 

Lets have a bit of proportion , the world is faced  with the  greatest threat of nuclear war in 60 years , the cost of living has rocketed  and seems as if it will continue in the foreseeable future and the monarch is rewarded for 70 years of service by having to watch Ed Sheeran . People are questioning the honesty and integrity of someone who has made an honest mistake in a complicated scenario . The man has owned up to  the error , nobody has died as a result of the error . The villains of the peace or rather the root of the problem are the players whose lack of commitment to their club ( in some cases ) has led to the call offs 

One club appears to have been honest and said that they couldn't  guarantee that they would see the season out so withdrew so at least the other clubs wern't faced with late call offs  every Saturday . The predicament the league is in isn't unsurmountable it can be rectified on Full Time but can't be done without  a management meeting  which isn't likely to be convened overnight .

On the subject of call offs , in the league I'm involved with clubs  were concerned about lack of fixtures . As a result we introduced  a new cup competition in memory of one of our committee member who died recently . We had so many call offs that one of the finalists has'nt played a game in the competition , the other finalist played one game in the semi final due to call offs , and lost . The team that beat them  can't play in the final through lack of  available players  ( 36 signed on ) so the losing semi finalist  are taking their place . What nightmare for a fixture secretary !!!!   

37 minutes ago, MattP said:

Who has said they won’t follow it through? It’s been 48hrs. I’m sure the league committee will make the best decision they can in terms of consistency - there will certainly be no argument from us, whatever their decision. 

Well Jamie, we’ll await the League’s decision on that - with one game to go, as long as consistency is applied I wouldn’t think there would be too many complaints. 

I hope they don’t follow it through I hope there is more understanding this close to end of the season I know how hard you and the club has worked and I knowing would definitely hurt not full-filling those fixtures would have been. It’s not a dig at clubs and I totally understand volunteers are very hard to come by and mistakes happen but they are big mistakes. If I was fit and not going through chemotherapy I would have offered to help a team get through to end of season. This situation is only going to get worse you’ve been in the game a long time now you have seen the changes yourself no young players coming through anymore leagues getting smaller and will continue this way I feel. 
i hope that the two clubs that folded will be able to come back next season. 

As a club that has nearly fell at this rule, it is a howler, we were one game away from falling to that fate, however, derek and the rest of the league gave us a lot of help when we needed it and in the end we were given time to be able to regroup and carry on with the season, 

Nobody can seriously think that this wasn’t a mistake and was done on purpose? 

There also has to be some kind of impact on a team that pulls out of a game late notice, as it’s just as unencouraging for the other team who prepared for a game that then didn’t happen and their players who had committed. 

Of course the fault lies with the players, not committing and not turning up, signing on for multiple clubs and then deciding the night before where to play, but the fact is it’s the same issue all over the place tells more of a story. There’s a fundamental failure of the FA and professional football to encourage and support the younger generation starting in grassroots football. 

30 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Even though there seems to be quite a few clubs with youth set-ups?

I’m sure there are, and I’m sure they put a lot of effort into keeping them going, I am by no means pointing the finger at anybody locally. 

9 hours ago, dhecfc said:

dhecfc - you obviously have connections to Bude, I can understand where you are coming from but believe your comments through this thread and others on the forum have stepped over the mark. 

Derek has shown great courage to admit a mistake and i'm sure will announce what this means for those clubs impacted. I feel for Holywell especially after what happened at the start of the season to them as a club. There is always two sides to every argument, would it be fair on North Petherwin to concede the league on something that is not actually a rule??? 

Yes i am connected to North Petherwin and i would have very disappointed if it went the other way but would have respected the people who make local football happen. 

In terms of adding the goals back in etc i'm sure that will be reviewed but tbh it doesnt make a difference in this case. Bude host North Petherwin in the final game this Saturday, which should be a thrilling game between two good sides.