Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash United Manager Vacancy

Dane Bunney fulfils most, if not all, of those criteria!

Sacked after coming 4th in the first season after promotion! Like Brentford qualifying for the Champions League and then sacking that Danish manager whose name escapes me.

May be a few prospective applicants who may be thinking twice having seen the events of the last week and that advert.

2 hours ago, MWhite55 said:

I think the club has lost the plot. Shows a complete lack of ambition and wanting to build on what many would call a successful season. None of Parkway, Tavi or Exmouth where promoted in their first seasons in this league. 

Have the club put out any congratulations to the 1st team for coming 4th? Has there been any official congratulations or thanks? 
They never wanted promotion! Already stated that they intend to reject any future promotion  & take a relegation as “punishment” 

#goingplaces #howtorunafc 

The way things are there will be no team, irrelevant of whats happened or who takes over no one can deny that saltash have a strong side that give 100% commitment, who have gone up and come 4th the Club are being ruthless in not even acknowledging the teams success or players. Who would bother to stay at a club when they don't value the players they have and good ones at that ! 

Absolute mess and rich pickings for other clubs - feel sorry for the team all for nothing.

Good luck to the next manager they will most definitely need it.

7 hours ago, Volkie80 said:

The way things are there will be no team, irrelevant of whats happened or who takes over no one can deny that saltash have a strong side that give 100% commitment, who have gone up and come 4th the Club are being ruthless in not even acknowledging the teams success or players. Who would bother to stay at a club when they don't value the players they have and good ones at that ! 

Absolute mess and rich pickings for other clubs - feel sorry for the team all for nothing.

Good luck to the next manager they will most definitely need it.

Bit harsh. Saltash United existed, and did OK, before Dane Bunney arrived. They will be OK after he's gone.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Bit harsh. Saltash United existed, and did OK, before Dane Bunney arrived. They will be OK after he's gone.

However you can understand what Volkie80 is suggesting as this time of the season is so important with clubs already building for the next campaign. With no manager they risk not only missing out on a couple players, but losing some too!

You have to think Dane departure has been driven by some of the players so you imagine they are willing to stay on. But like you say with no idea who taking over and longer it goes on . I imagine there will be a few phone calls  going around already. 
I already know from a good source  a certain new Buckland manager , helston manager and Tavistock manager have already tapped up players for next season.

it does seem odd to let Dane go with no replacement at all. Almost unheard of in this level of football  

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

You have to think Dane departure has been driven by some of the players so you imagine they are willing to stay on. But like you say with no idea who taking over and longer it goes on . I imagine there will be a few phone calls  going around already. 
I already know from a good source  a certain new Buckland manager , helston manager and Tavistock manager have already tapped up players for next season.

it does seem odd to let Dane go with no replacement at all. Almost unheard of in this level of football  

As myself and others here had heard, the replacement that they thought was in place, turned the job down. Source told me that a certain ex Saltash player who is now at Buckland, has already been in touch with a few of his former team mates. Know as well that Tavistock are back in for Reece Thomson (he turned down a move to them at the start of last season). It is only May (and I believe that transfers cannot be made until June) but I agree, a new manager is needed sooner rather than later, if only to calm things down a bit.

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Not saying it's all on Bunney at all I'm saying lack of appreciation players with no idea of what's going on have a look at all their social media not so much as a well done or thank you for the commitment they've given or efforts as a team in comparison to other clubs, all very flat which is a kick in the teeth when many approached players have stayed loyal or come back to the club.

Just think those running the show have no idea whatsoever! 

It's only natural for it to go a bit quiet for a couple of weeks whilst the new manager appointed. Time for applicants and close season.

Regarding social media, the club's been careful with the use of it for a while now, that isn't a bad thing. Do players really look at it like that?

The end of season awards night will be a chance for the players to feel appreciated too.

1 hour ago, Volkie80 said:

Not saying it's all on Bunney at all I'm saying lack of appreciation players with no idea of what's going on have a look at all their social media not so much as a well done or thank you for the commitment they've given or efforts as a team in comparison to other clubs, all very flat which is a kick in the teeth when many approached players have stayed loyal or come back to the club.

Just think those running the show have no idea whatsoever! 

I have to agree that the Saltash committee are coming across as very inexperienced and naive at best. I stand by my previous comments that the new Chair lady has caught them out and unprepared by telling Dane that he was going to be sacked. They hardly had a smooth transition planned! They need to get their act together and fast before the best young players are enticed away  by others who are circling. They may live  to regret the day they gave in to a very small group of players who felt threatened by the ex manager.

On 02/05/2022 at 23:46, Footiefandango said:

Have the club put out any congratulations to the 1st team for coming 4th? Has there been any official congratulations or thanks? 
They never wanted promotion! Already stated that they intend to reject any future promotion  & take a relegation as “punishment” 

#goingplaces #howtorunafc 

Someone called Barrie Wood asked on Twitter if the rumours about them rejecting promotion should it arise were true. Saltash social media replied saying it was nonsense, but of course they're going to say that anyway. Such a shame to see how the club have gone down hill under the current regime. 

3 hours ago, World Cup Willy said:

I have to agree that the Saltash committee are coming across as very inexperienced and naive at best. I stand by my previous comments that the new Chair lady has caught them out and unprepared by telling Dane that he was going to be sacked. They hardly had a smooth transition planned! They need to get their act together and fast before the best young players are enticed away  by others who are circling. They may live  to regret the day they gave in to a very small group of players who felt threatened by the ex manager.

Ok Dane 👍

5 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Someone called Barrie Wood asked on Twitter if the rumours about them rejecting promotion should it arise were true. Saltash social media replied saying it was nonsense, but of course they're going to say that anyway. Such a shame to see how the club have gone down hill under the current regime. 

Yes I saw that & you are right of course! 
What else can they say? 
Unfortunately they are in between a rock & a hard place! They either admit that the Chairwoman stated their lack of ambition (which presumably the committee felt the same) or they continue to deny publicly that this was their stance moving forward! 
Problem is, the sacking of Bunney after coming 4Th & the manner in which it was done only demonstrates that things are being very poorly run! 
The fancy job vacancy requirements was clearly written to try & show a semblance of professionalism & demonstrate they know what they are doing!!! That has backfired! 
All sensible fair minded people can see right through the smoke & mirrors! 

I’m told by one of the players that The current group on the whole are furious with how the club have handled recent events and that a meeting led entirely by Danny Lewis and the chairwomen held for the players last night did not go according to plan 

It seems common knowledge now that 1-2 players have put the knife in on Dane, one of the names I’ve heard involved doesn’t surprise me one bit. 

so many lies coming from the football club to backtrack and cover up what has been an absolute PR disaster. 

My understanding is Lee Britchford is the favourite for the position and has met with the chairwoman on this Sunday just gone. He has been told that he would need to work with Danny Lewis who has not yet decided on what he’s doing with regards the offer to go buckland (who’s interest is now fading due to Lewis’ involvement in the saltash saga) . 

I guess a manager that’s been managing in the Devon league at step 7 could be the way Saltash need to go now, Nobody with an already established reputation is going to want to put their name to the club while they behave as they do. Furthermore I highly doubt an appointment such as Britchford will be enough to keep the current squad together. Unless saltash sort this out quickly they could be in for a real season of struggle next year, 

My advice would be to try and land someone with the relevant experience who the players know or reconcile with Dane Bunney  

All in all it’s a mess! Good luck to whoever has to sort this out 

1 hour ago, The Observer__ said:

I’m told by one of the players that The current group on the whole are furious with how the club have handled recent events and that a meeting led entirely by Danny Lewis and the chairwomen held for the players last night did not go according to plan 

It seems common knowledge now that 1-2 players have put the knife in on Dane, one of the names I’ve heard involved doesn’t surprise me one bit. 

so many lies coming from the football club to backtrack and cover up what has been an absolute PR disaster. 

My understanding is Lee Britchford is the favourite for the position and has met with the chairwoman on this Sunday just gone. He has been told that he would need to work with Danny Lewis who has not yet decided on what he’s doing with regards the offer to go buckland (who’s interest is now fading due to Lewis’ involvement in the saltash saga) . 

I guess a manager that’s been managing in the Devon league at step 7 could be the way Saltash need to go now, Nobody with an already established reputation is going to want to put their name to the club while they behave as they do. Furthermore I highly doubt an appointment such as Britchford will be enough to keep the current squad together. Unless saltash sort this out quickly they could be in for a real season of struggle next year, 

My advice would be to try and land someone with the relevant experience who the players know or reconcile with Dane Bunney  

You are joking!!!
Can’t see a reconciliation happening in all honesty! Bunney is better off away from the club altogether! 
Saltash’s predicament is worsening by the day it seems! 

6 hours ago, The Observer__ said:

Been reading all these different opinions etc and as someone who has watched Saltash play quite a few times I do have to say that with the way Dane Bunney behaved at times and the way he spoke to his players it was pretty inevitable what would happen - if it was in fact the players who voiced their disapproval to the committee. 

What confuses me though is why, if they are looking at a level 7 manager now, they would even consider a Devon one - let alone Lee Britchford. As a parent who has had first hand experience (my son and other good young footballers under his charge) of how he coaches and treats young players I'd be appalled if he came and was the one who had the job of developing young players - remember he's had quite a few jobs that haven't gone well because of his methods. 

What confuses me is if we are going to look at level 7 managers/coaches why not look closer to home? 

I know the reserves have been the topic of a lot of debate but they're level 7 with coaches who know Saltash lads, taken the reserves to 3rd in the league who I'm sure could do a better job than Britchford while probably keeping players there. 

Also having watched a few Saltash Borough games earlier in the season and talked to spectators on the side, they have a manager who is constantly talked of in good terms in the way he manages and coaches - even been mentioned on the podcasts a few times by Dave Deacon. The couple of games I watched, they played good football and I've heard he has a great rapport with his players who totally respect him - from what I understand are mostly (if not all) Saltash lads too - let's not forget also he's up there challenging for the title out of nowhere! 

Why not look at either of those local managers who know the local players if you're talking about taking on a level 7 coach instead of a Devon one? Isn't half the problem at Saltash the fact we've been bringing in too many Plymouth players? 

I do believe we probably need a higher level one with experience at level 5 or 6 but if no one wants it why not at least speak to the reserves coaches or the Borough manager - surely if he's ambitious he'd be interested going from a club with no real infrastructure to a set up like Saltash? 

There's a lot of very good coaches/managers out there who could bring something different, maybe even better and with the mess we're in at the moment, This could be the ideal chance to reset and get the fans/people of Saltash back on side - with a Saltash manager. 

And so it goes on and on, he said, she said, new names every day for the vacant post.

As I’ve stated before if Saltash wanted to sack Dane that is their right but have a bit of class and do it in the proper manner.

Have the guy in and give him reasons why he’s been sacked. Very cheap and small time that he had to hear it first from other managers around the counties.

I hear even now there are people at Saltash still trying to discredit Dane and accuse him of tarnishing their reputation online - as I see it they don’t need any help with that!!

it’s obvious now it was not a planned move but a knee jerk reaction to something.

If it was player power the new man has a lot to contend with, he will know from the start who the club will be behind when the going gets tough.

Saltash need to get the new man in asap and try to put this whole PR disaster behind them.

4 hours ago, Reaper said:

Been reading all these different opinions etc and as someone who has watched Saltash play quite a few times I do have to say that with the way Dane Bunney behaved at times and the way he spoke to his players it was pretty inevitable what would happen - if it was in fact the players who voiced their disapproval to the committee. 

What confuses me though is why, if they are looking at a level 7 manager now, they would even consider a Devon one - let alone Lee Britchford. As a parent who has had first hand experience (my son and other good young footballers under his charge) of how he coaches and treats young players I'd be appalled if he came and was the one who had the job of developing young players - remember he's had quite a few jobs that haven't gone well because of his methods. 

What confuses me is if we are going to look at level 7 managers/coaches why not look closer to home? 

I know the reserves have been the topic of a lot of debate but they're level 7 with coaches who know Saltash lads, taken the reserves to 3rd in the league who I'm sure could do a better job than Britchford while probably keeping players there. 

Also having watched a few Saltash Borough games earlier in the season and talked to spectators on the side, they have a manager who is constantly talked of in good terms in the way he manages and coaches - even been mentioned on the podcasts a few times by Dave Deacon. The couple of games I watched, they played good football and I've heard he has a great rapport with his players who totally respect him - from what I understand are mostly (if not all) Saltash lads too - let's not forget also he's up there challenging for the title out of nowhere! 

Why not look at either of those local managers who know the local players if you're talking about taking on a level 7 coach instead of a Devon one? Isn't half the problem at Saltash the fact we've been bringing in too many Plymouth players? 

I do believe we probably need a higher level one with experience at level 5 or 6 but if no one wants it why not at least speak to the reserves coaches or the Borough manager - surely if he's ambitious he'd be interested going from a club with no real infrastructure to a set up like Saltash? 

There's a lot of very good coaches/managers out there who could bring something different, maybe even better and with the mess we're in at the moment, This could be the ideal chance to reset and get the fans/people of Saltash back on side - with a Saltash manager. 

I'm surprised at this view of lee Britchford considering his position within Argyle and success and as far as I'm aware hes always been one for giving youth the chance to step up, and yes would rate the Borough management highly but feel it's all hearsay rather than facts.

What I find really baffling is many comments about 'local lads' and 'young players' which the 1st team have both of !

Yes the Club needs someone who knows what what they doing, yes should be about progression through teams on merit not who you like or know.

Does every team throughout the UK only have players from their own Academy or area ? ......... .NO ! 

Do all the managers live in that town ? No ! 

Check out the percentages of players making it into the certain steps or coping with the style of play and being successful, yes it's great to get local lads in there but not always possible if the standards aren't met so have to go elsewhere.

Lots of rumours only time will tell.

15 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Heard 5 people are on their list -

Lee Hodges, Stewart Yetton, Karl Curtis, Darren Stewart & Dan Hart (would be some you turn).

I can’t see any of these 5 going to Saltash. Some very good coaches but probably have better offers. 

It was my understanding that Lee Britchford was a preferred candidate for the 2nd team when the development team fiasco came out a few months ago. 

They seem to be big on getting local players in but from what I’ve been told is that Steve Manuel whose involved in the 2nd team has told multiple local players over the years that they’re not good enough and replaced them with players from outside the local area. Several of the players he’s rejected are now at Saltash Borough so it comes across a bit hypocritical from the club to push Dane out and keep him in. 

As for Saltash Borough I’ve only seen them play twice but they play some really nice football and showed a bit more maturity last month against Saltash 2nds from their game at the start of the season against St Dominic. If there is a exodus of players he’ll need to get players in but does he have the contacts to bring in players of that quality? I think that their front 3 and midfield 3 from the Saltash 2nds game could hold their own and still develop into very good Western League players given their age but it would be a serious downgrade from who’s been playing this season.

There has been a lot wrong with the Saltash set up on and off the pitch for quite a while. If we focus on the positives relating to the current meltdown the club have been presented with an ideal opportunity to reboot top to bottom, especially on the team management, motivation and tactical development front.

I wish them well, a lot depends on their commitment to fight back stronger with the right people in charge.

Taking out the last week or so's debate, the requirements don't surprise me as is where I feel the club is from a fans perspective. Dane helped has definitely helped with that over the last couple of years getting a team that was to have a great title race with Mousehole (joint top at the time, others may have joined) it seemed before the 2nd lockdown playing some very good football.

It carried on into this season and football came back with a bang, some big friendlies and matches in the Summer sun led up nicely to the first league game, an enjoyable opening day with Tavistock, an important win before a credible draw at Helston and then the first coach trip, I only did one over the season but a great feeling travelling on the coach we did and beating one of the new sides Clevedon away. I feel this start set Saltash up nicely, they may have come good off course but instead of chasing early on were getting results. Finishing the season in fourth was a great achievement, Dane's work mixing a few new lads with the stalwarts had paid off.

Since the first lockdown, I have found a very welcoming committee and enjoyable club to watch games at on and off the pitch. The atmosphere led me to nominate the club in the FA awards. One or two members not there now off course I respect for the help they have given me and what they have done for the club, with the current Chair Lady having the club very much at heart over the years, I feel there is a good place for people to go and this can be built on, fan conversation has told me that. Two ladies teams have been introduced, one making a final the other week maybe a 2nd on Sunday. Working with the 2nds. The 3rds have been on the main pitch this week. The future is bright for the club.

I have also received a compliment from someone on the application who knows.

I look forward to carrying on supporting the Ashes and whoever gets the appointment.

On 05/05/2022 at 14:22, panda said:

Macca from Millbrook!!

This would be a no brainer from Saltash's point of view, always seems insightful on the podcast and Millbrook have had a great few years. Millbrook seem to have great stability though so not sure it would be as appealing for Mac.

2 hours ago, Pinky said:

This would be a no brainer from Saltash's point of view, always seems insightful on the podcast and Millbrook have had a great few years. Millbrook seem to have great stability though so not sure it would be as appealing for Mac.

Would be pointless bringing in a bloke that managed a team to a lower finish then the one they just got rid of. 

39 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

I see the Saltash v man utd legends game is off now... Another pr disaster

Heard they were not overly impressed with their recent conduct & treatment of the ex manager so pulled out! 
Bunney was their contact & had a great working relationship with them. 
They just weren’t interested in the game once they learned he was no longer at the club! 

1 hour ago, Footiefandango said:

Heard they were not overly impressed with their recent conduct & treatment of the ex manager so pulled out! 
Bunney was their contact & had a great working relationship with them. 
They just weren’t interested in the game once they learned he was no longer at the club! 

😂 they definitely don’t care about that. More likely the 5 grand fee they wanted wasn’t available