Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL FIXTURES Saturday 30th April. Monday 2nd May. Wednesday 4th MY

On 03/05/2022 at 13:10, karaoke said:

Any write up on the game?

Clive Rosevear Insurance League Cup Final

Torpoint 3 - 0 Foxhole

Scorers: Ferguson x2, WhiteS. 

Lineup: WestallM, Quintrell, WhiteJ, WhiteS, Hussey, Cotter, Rowe, Northcott, Blair, WestallC, Ferguson.

Subs: Payn, Warren, Carter, Robbins, Bartolini.

A bit of a delay to my usual write up. Yesterday I was struggling to live so staring at a screen high on emotion and a headache was not on the agenda.

The opening spells had Foxhole on top, with Boardman, Dingle and Bould in particular winning their initial duels. It took a few lost 50/50s to wake us up a bit, but our tackling was poor and we gave away a number of sloppy free kicks in our own half for Boardman to test the back line. Luckily we dealt with them well and weather a small storm during these exchanges, as no clear cut chances were created and I was thankful WestallM didn't have to do much from the set piece threats. Despite the Foxes winning these early battles, they were majority hard clean tackles and I saw no issue with any of them, but I sensed a heightened adrenaline for the occasion could possible catch up with them. First half bookings for Torpoint's Cotter, and the Foxes' Boardman and Bould were the result of the referee sensing the same, and I feel the cards dished out were fair and good game management. However, JDingle didn't get the same message and another fair challenge between him and Cotter was followed by a kickout/stamp after the ball had gone. It wasn't overly aggressive but the incident was spotted by one of the officials, and after a brief chat between the main whistle blower and the 4th official, the young lad was shown a straight red around half an hour in. This resulted in Foxhole going to a 3-5-1, which resulted in Cheshire having to do more in deeper areas, Bould a little isolated, and gave Torpoint's defence far more time on the ball. For the remaining 15mins Torpoint didn't really create much themselves with the numerical advantage, with almost all possession going forward too quickly with long direct balls having no angle on them and easy to deal with by Coates, Rickard and Wilkins or straight through to the keeper on a slippery surface. The only real attack of note was a driving run from skipper WestallC picking the ball out wide on the left, skipped past a challenge or two and had an effort on goal from 20yds. Promising signs but more patience was needed in the 2nd half to actually move the ball about and open Foxhole up with the ball on the deck. 0-0 HT.

The 2nd half was far better. With the defence more patient to draw Foxhole out, giving the full backs and wide players more time and composure on the ball we eventually began to ask the questions I wanted. Around 50mins right back Quintrell was in acres to progress and get his head up to pick out a great run by Ferguson, who drove into the box and hit a low strike into the corner for 1-0. Apart from the obvious jubilation, this gave us some relief as I imagine their HT was about being resilient being a man down and playing on the counter. The resulting calm allowed a little more football, but Rower decided to join in on the referee's good decision making and joined the growing list of players on a booking with one of his usual. With this we introduced fresh legs in Payn whose passing style would suit the pitch. Another good chance was eventually created with WestallC inside the box unwilling to use his standing leg and was eventually shut down before getting a shot off. Good chance begging but was more signs of opportunity. Before the lead was extended though, Torpoint's Cotter received a tackle on the far side and reacted childishly to earn a 2nd yellow, with I think an hour gone. This forced us into a slight change into a narrower 4-3-2. Despite this setback the team continued to stay positive and pushed on. The 2nd goal was Ferguson again driving with the ball and an unfortunate slip by a Foxhole defender allowing him to side foot calmly into the other bottom corner this time for 2-0 and his 7th in 6 games. With Rickard subbed off around this point there was less experience at the back and introductions for Torpoint kept the tempo up. Ferguson was spent but his replacement in Warren is a willing runner down any channel he sees worth running in and Robbins' experience and decision making in the middle allowed us to play for %s with Warren and WestallC outworking a tiring backline. I was pleased to get all 5 subs on while feeling comfortable and they all fitted in seamlessly. A late Robbins inswinging corner was well met by the Foxes' keeper to punch well clear, but WhiteS from 25yds wrapped the game up with a well struck strike to squeeze under the keeper into the bottom corner. Late on Bould did get an effort on goal with an effort from 20yds, but WestallM was grateful it was quite central for a comfortable save to ensure he kept his cup final cleano. FT 3-0.

A long time coming for me and some of the longer serving players. And a sign of things to come for the rest of the young side with 8x u20, most of which haven't completed a whole season in men's football yet for obvious reasons. An additional reward is the Evely Cup Final this coming Sunday vs Helston 3rds, again at St Blazey 1500ko.

After that it's still a neck and neck 3 horse race for the title between us, Gunnislake and Altarnun. A slip up for either would be curtains with Gunnislake currently in pole position at the top. Regardless of how it turns out, I'm proud to have Monday's trophy in the club cabinet and I hope it's not the end of our success.