Cornwall Football Forum

Smallest Town/Village In Cornwall To Have A Trophy Winning Side

Obviously irrelevant now as Falmouth won the Senior Cup Obviously Monday but, if Wendron had won, would they have been the smallest village or town in Cornwall to have had a major trophy winner (by this I mean South Western or Peninsula League, Senior Cup or League Cup)? At the 2011 Census, Wendron had a population of just over 2700, the only other small town club I can think of winning one of the trophies above is Bugle, winners of the SW League in 1984/85, with a population of 4100.

20 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Waiting for the mysterious Cornish club  'Dropship' to climb the ladder-it would be interesting to know  where and how many live in that settlement.

Their home ground is in Cury according to full time. Looking at the census it shows 431 in the vilage. Wendron has 2743. Is Wendrons ground actually in Wendron though as when I drove to Helston a few weeks ago I drive past a Wendron sign next to Poldark mine. That's a distance away from Wendron football club ground. so the census area I'm looking at could be wrong. I'd be very surprised if dropship reach the level of Wendron anytime soon given not only their location and facilities which appears to be a small shed on satellite view but also because they are already surrounded by a number of big clubs in that area like Helston mullion Culdrose etc 

1 hour ago, BrummyBarry said:

Their home ground is in Cury according to full time. Looking at the census it shows 431 in the vilage. Wendron has 2743. Is Wendrons ground actually in Wendron though as when I drove to Helston a few weeks ago I drive past a Wendron sign next to Poldark mine. That's a distance away from Wendron football club ground. so the census area I'm looking at could be wrong. I'd be very surprised if dropship reach the level of Wendron anytime soon given not only their location and facilities which appears to be a small shed on satellite view but also because they are already surrounded by a number of big clubs in that area like Helston mullion Culdrose etc 

It's about 4 - 5 miles away 

22 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Waiting for the mysterious Cornish club  'Dropship' to climb the ladder-it would be interesting to know  where and how many live in that settlement.

Just finished 3rd in Trelawney Div 3 I don't think they'll be winning major trophies anytime soon..

2 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Underlane is in no man’s land half-way between Carnkie and Rame Cross. I doubt if either (or even the aggregate) population is more than a couple of hundred. Lots of other small villages (and Stithians, which is a bit bigger) all within a few miles though. 

Although no success in the form of trophies at SWPL level, we are Combo Cup abs Evely Cup winners as well as several success at Trelawny and Fal/Helston standards. 

As for ‘Wendron’ itself, it is quite deceiving. As a parish, Wendron covers some area and it is often viewed as a parish rather than a specific location - if that makes sense. The club itself lies with Carnkie abs one of our pitches falls within Rame. 

On 21/04/2022 at 17:19, Mike Odgers said:

Not a fan of made up club names that dont represent a place-thinking aloud Storm-Premier Sixes etc  but do confess to be a full on supporter of  Roy Race (of the Rovers) who played for Melchester Rovers. I have visited many Football League clubs and Melchester is on my bucket list.

We went to Sticker to watch the Womens County Final last night, and on the list of club honours in the clubhouse  was recorded having won the Charity Cup on two occasions, once in 2012/13 season and again in 2016/17 season.
According to one of the club members they have also been losing finalist but she couldn't remember when.
Not a bad record for a village with a recorded population of 1250 inhabitants.

12 hours ago, We Two said:

We went to Sticker to watch the Womens County Final last night, and on the list of club honours in the clubhouse  was recorded having won the Charity Cup on two occasions, once in 2012/13 season and again in 2016/17 season.
According to one of the club members they have also been losing finalist but she couldn't remember when.
Not a bad record for a village with a recorded population of 1250 inhabitants.

All great statistics but how many "Sticky`s" were playing please??   Local is local !!!

MQx

53 minutes ago, Martin McHugh said:

All great statistics but how many "Sticky`s" were playing please??   Local is local !!!

MQx

No idea you will have to ask them about that, but W.O.T.P. asked about the smallest town or village but didn't make any mention of where the players had to come from.

Perhaps Razor61 can answer that for you

We think you may be hard pushed to find a team that only has people from their town / village in them !

9 minutes ago, justanopinion said:

Great result for the Sticky today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they appear to have claimed 3 x unexpected points today which according to a rather humourous twitter account, sent the runners up trophy scuttling back to H.Q.

3 hours ago, razor61 said:

In reply to We Twos question, in both Charity cup winning teams for Sticker none of the players actually lived in the village!

Shouldn't worry Razor as W.O.T.P. asked only about the smallest town or village that had won a major trophy with no mention of where the players lived, it looks like the answer has to be Sticker, unless of course you don't class the Charity Cup as a major trophy .
Our friends in Penzance who are far better placed than us to answer that suggestion said " try telling that to any of the clubs who have won it"

On another note Razor, our car decided that it didn't want to visit for the vets match today and at the ripe old age of 8 months refused to start.
However we hope it was a profirtable day for a very worthy cause to which we have made a donation.

On 23/04/2022 at 20:58, We Two said:

No idea you will have to ask them about that, but W.O.T.P. asked about the smallest town or village but didn't make any mention of where the players had to come from.

Perhaps Razor61 can answer that for you

We think you may be hard pushed to find a team that only has people from their town / village in them !

Yes they appear to have claimed 3 x unexpected points today which according to a rather humourous twitter account, sent the runners up trophy scuttling back to H.Q.

You're right, it was about the size of the village or town, not where the players come from. Pretty sure that a large contingent of the Bugle side that won the South Western League were Plymouth based. 

Sounds like another topic could be in the offing here, last Cornish side to win a senior trophy with a side containing players that were all based locally (10 miles radius of the ground?) Off the top of my head, Saltash United are the obvious examples, but that is because of their close proximity to Plymouth.

59 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

You're right, it was about the size of the village or town, not where the players come from. Pretty sure that a large contingent of the Bugle side that won the South Western League were Plymouth based. 

Sounds like another topic could be in the offing here, last Cornish side to win a senior trophy with a side containing players that were all based locally (10 miles radius of the ground?) Off the top of my head, Saltash United are the obvious examples, but that is because of their close proximity to Plymouth.

We think you had better exempt Sticker on the grounds that they have already won the smallest Village / Town title, and they could end up with winning your new  suggestion having won the Charity Cup in 2017 ! sould be an interesting topic, well done W.O.T.P.

18 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Not sure how far you want to go back with this subject, but one mustn’t forget Burraton winning the Cornwall Charity Cup back in the early 1950s - 1953 I think.

Back then I imagine it might have been a village on the outskirts of Saltash?

Just checked, Burraton is now considered a suburb of Saltash. Don't know when it was swallowed up. 

Using my own unscientific methods, I would say that it looks like Sticker can claim the title of Smallest Town Or Village In Cornwall With A Club That Has Won A Senior Trophy.

On 21/04/2022 at 16:19, Mike Odgers said:

You’ll soon find out. Don’t worry about that x

On 22/04/2022 at 13:08, BrummyBarry said:

With the club only being formed 18 months ago and only completing a full season, this season, due to covid I’m very honoured to be compared to a fantastic club like Wendron. 

Watch this space. 👀

On 22/04/2022 at 14:55, Paul C said:

Just finished 3rd in Trelawney Div 3 I don't think they'll be winning major trophies anytime soon..

Having only been formed for 18 months, back to back promotions and a league cup win. Not too bad really 💰💰

On 22/04/2022 at 21:39, Mike Odgers said:

Not a fan of made up club names that dont represent a place-thinking aloud Storm-Premier Sixes etc  but do confess to be a full on supporter of  Roy Race (of the Rovers) who played for Melchester Rovers. I have visited many Football League clubs and Melchester is on my bucket list.

Stay at Fal Town then pard 👍👍👍

once you obtain an understanding of the club, the ethos and its plans, you may change your mind, or may not. Either way I’m not too worried what you like 👍👍

23 hours ago, We Two said:

Shouldn't worry Razor as W.O.T.P. asked only about the smallest town or village that had won a major trophy with no mention of where the players lived, it looks like the answer has to be Sticker, unless of course you don't class the Charity Cup as a major trophy .
Our friends in Penzance who are far better placed than us to answer that suggestion said " try telling that to any of the clubs who have won it"

On another note Razor, our car decided that it didn't want to visit for the vets match today and at the ripe old age of 8 months refused to start.
However we hope it was a profirtable day for a very worthy cause to which we have made a donation.

Thanks for the donation We Two not sure of the amount raised but we were hoping for a huge crowd which didn't materialise so very disappointing!

On 22/04/2022 at 20:00, BrummyBarry said:

I see are they the most successful team with the smallest village population in Cornwall then? I don't think they've won much at their current level but to reach the senior cup final is a pretty decent achievement plus they're doing well in their league aswell 

Not sure of the year, but I remember watching Nanpean in the Senior Cup final played at St Blazey, and taking it to a replay (was it against Falmouth Town somewhere in the 90's)