Cornwall Football Forum

Exmouth v Tavistock

Closest thing we'll get to a Western League Grand Final.  

If Tavistock win, the league title (and a well deserved and overdue promotion) is theirs. 

The King George V Ground is a tough place to get anything though, Exmouth not lost at home in the league since Saltash beat them 2-1 there last September.

A big game decided by a big game player Levi landricombe. I see tavi started jordan annear   still yet to see what all the hype is  with him . Where was Liam prynn  ? 

Still What a last game. If you look at the fixture tavi home to 2nd bottom Ashton . And exmouth away to Shepton who are 6th. 
You still want to be in Tavistock position 
I fancy both to win but tavi will probably edge it on goal difference. 

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

A big game decided by a big game player Levi landricombe. I see tavi started jordan annear   still yet to see what all the hype is  with him . Where was Liam prynn  ? 

Still What a last game. If you look at the fixture tavi home to 2nd bottom Ashton . And exmouth away to Shepton who are 6th. 
You still want to be in Tavistock position 
I fancy both to win but tavi will probably edge it on goal difference. 

Ashton have beaten Tavi this season already....so not a forgone conclusion by any means.

JW

Promotion & Play-Offs.

The FA’s current position is that the top nine 2nd placed Step 5 teams on PPG will be promoted automatically, and the next seven will play off against a Step 4 team.

Exmouth are currently tenth in that PPG table so in a play off rather than automatic promotion position, but the bad news for both Tavistock and Exmouth is that even if both win their final game whichever finishes second on goal difference is not able to overtake the ninth placed team in the PPG table (Westbury in the Hellenic).

Westbury have finished their season on 84 points from 38 (2.21 PPG) and in addition to Westbury there are already eight other teams guaranteed a PPG total higher than 2.21.  If Exmouth and Tavistock both win their last game they will finish on 79 from 36 (2.19 PPG).

The most likely playoff opposition is Cinderford (Southern League South). 

Good stuff, Gary. A game against Cinderford would be the most "sensible" of outcomes given they play in the league that the Western League runners-up hope to join. Whether resignations and demotions change things over the next few days remains to be seen.

I believe the future model was for the Western League runners-up to always face a play-off against a team from a higher division. How this might alter, should rhe Western League split to create a 17th division in a structure designed for sixteen leagues, will be something to look for in the small print.

Was at both Buckland v Tavistock and Exmouth v Tavistock. Just the one goal for my troubles and not a lot of excitement. Absorbing nonetheless and all told, in a technical sense, the proverbial "good advert" for the higher end of the league.

36 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

Promotion & Play-Offs.

The FA’s current position is that the top nine 2nd placed Step 5 teams on PPG will be promoted automatically, and the next seven will play off against a Step 4 team.

Exmouth are currently tenth in that PPG table so in a play off rather than automatic promotion position, but the bad news for both Tavistock and Exmouth is that even if both win their final game whichever finishes second on goal difference is not able to overtake the ninth placed team in the PPG table (Westbury in the Hellenic).

Westbury have finished their season on 84 points from 38 (2.21 PPG) and in addition to Westbury there are already eight other teams guaranteed a PPG total higher than 2.21.  If Exmouth and Tavistock both win their last game they will finish on 79 from 36 (2.19 PPG).

The most likely playoff opposition is Cinderford (Southern League South). 

Gary, I’ve seen a table which suggests Exmouth are currently 9th  (Check @petermiller36 on twitter - link in his bio then click step 4-5 and scroll to the bottom right of the spreadsheet)

Where have you seen 10th please? Not suggesting you’re wrong either just want to try and clarify before Saturday 🤣

Also to add I believe his table has included that a team from another league (Ridsborough I think) have been refused promotion due to their ground not making the required level so that might be where we’re crossing wires as 3rd placed Hadley are now the runners up if that makes sense

I agree it’s ridiculous but it is what it is - and made even more ridiculous by the FA changing the rules just two weeks ago already into the final month of the season. 

Thanks Tavi Fan. Peter Miller had spotted something I hadn’t - Risborough (winners of the Spartan South Midlands League) have failed their ground grading so cannot now be promoted. Instead, second placed Spartan SML team New Salamis will now be automatically promoted, and it’s third placed Spartan SML team Hadley who are counted in the PPG race. They are on 80 points from 37 (2.16) so fractionally below Exmouth (2.17).

Given the Spartan SML situation there are four teams - all with one to play - who could take the ninth placed PPG slot. Exmouth & Tavistock on 76 from 35, Hadley (Spartan SML) on 80 from 37 & Wroxham (Eastern Counties Premier) also on 80 from 37. If Exmouth & Tavistock both win the lower of them on goal difference will “win” ninth place, if either draws or loses they risk being overtaken by either Hadley or Wroxham. 

NB. the Risborough decision was only made yesterday, and the FA have given them until tomorrow to appeal.

How on earth are you meant to know where you stand with that criteria for promotion or if you then got to get your self up for a play off game. 
I notice Stuart Henderson in his interview blaming the state of the exmouth pitch for the loss. Pressure getting to him by the looks of it. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Wade said:

Ashton have beaten Tavi this season already....so not a forgone conclusion by any means.

JW

Out of the 2 teams  you rather be at home against a 2nd from bottom team mind 

Just now, sportsman10 said:

How on earth are you meant to know where you stand with that criteria for promotion or if you then got to get your self up for a play off game. 
I notice Stuart Henderson in his interview blaming the state of the exmouth pitch for the loss. Pressure getting to him by the looks of it. 

Yep the whole thing is a joke! Of course it would have an issue on our league 🤣

FWIW the pitch was an absolute disgrace last night!!!

5 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Thanks Gary! Yep noted all that - from what I’ve read though their ground shouldn’t be good enough for step 5 so fingers crossed Tavi/Exmouth will be fine.

Although I thought initially it was the top 10 runners up on PPG who got automatic promotion?

It was, but the FA changed it from 10 to 9 two weeks ago 🤷‍♂️ 

10 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

100% agree - utterly ridiculous. 

Pretty certain I've seen the FA can't/won't commit to making a series of announcements regarding play-offs, resignations and demotions until Sunday.

Wasn't it designed to be simpler with all runners-up facing play-offs? It's become complicated this year because a larger-than-normal number of vacancies exist in the system and are being filled through the gift of automatic promotion. Prediction: a hybrid system will operate in future on the basis there will always be gaps. 

Peter Miller's workings are a work of art; we're a little reliant on him having the time to update. If you're signed into Google and haven't seen it all;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IA8fb_rfVU6c3XJ98AuGdjbEOVaKoNrhsLp6Hcrq9ao/edit?usp=drivesdk

Basically he's an enthusiast - the trusty messenger - trying to highlight something that's not officially available.

Another angle. We're still awaiting the SW restructuring proposal. What will next season bring in the Peninsula remembering that (should Parkway be promoted as well as both Exmouth and Tavistock) there could again be four Devon teams in next season's Southern 1 SW. All four could stay up, two even promoted, whilst all four could be relegated. That has an impact on who goes where at step 5.

In normal seasons that's relatively straightforward. But, if extra teams are to be elevated from the Peninsula to step 5, what will they know in advance about promotion? Presumably, to be precise, it will mean being flexible about the size of leagues at step 5 to cover all eventualities. 

6 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

Pretty certain I've seen the FA can't/won't commit to making a series of announcements regarding play-offs, resignations and demotions until Sunday.

Correct - they’ve reserved the right to change either / both the number of automatically promoted teams and the way that play off ties will be chosen (ie straightforward geographical, or based on PPG within geographical pools).

20 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Poor game on an equally poor pitch! 

Exmouth are the most direct side I’ve ever seen but fair play they edged it tonight and were more deserving of the win.

Big game Saturday, although I do think a win for both will see them promoted via PPG

Funny I thought that Tavi were more concerned on a draw last night . Yes Town we’re direct and probably wanted it more imho.
As for the pitch , I have noticed that some Cornish carpets Mousehole included ,have been criticised by different managers including their own over the past month ? Was the pitch really a disgrace or did Town play it better ? That’s up to opinion . On to Saturday . 

8 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Thanks Gary! Yep noted all that - from what I’ve read though their ground shouldn’t be good enough for step 5 so fingers crossed Tavi/Exmouth will be fine.

Although I thought initially it was the top 10 runners up on PPG who got automatic promotion?

Apparently Risborough have appealed and the appeal will be held in person tomorrow. Local (south Midlands) chat is that they don’t stand a cat in hell’s chance and instead there’s mystification that they haven’t been relegated to Step 6 given that their ground still doesn’t meet Step 5 standards a year after being promoted (they don’t seem to be a particularly well-loved club amongst other fans in their region). All good news for Exmouth & Tavistock if they each secure 3 points on Saturday.