Cornwall Football Forum

Helston’s disappointing season

With what can only be judged as a disappointing season for Helston all eyes will be on wether there’s a change of management or a revamp of personnel, I’m sure Mass himself won’t be at all happy with how this season has panned out, Billy Tuckers departure was for me a huge blow which that void was not filled, the Orlando saga was another strange situation?? Will Mass give it another push for next season? Maybe he’ll have a sweep for some of Falmouth’s best players! JBE in blue! I wouldn’t bet against it!!

9 minutes ago, THEMAGPIE said:

With what can only be judged as a disappointing season for Helston all eyes will be on wether there’s a change of management or a revamp of personnel, I’m sure Mass himself won’t be at all happy with how this season has panned out, Billy Tuckers departure was for me a huge blow which that void was not filled, the Orlando saga was another strange situation?? Will Mass give it another push for next season? Maybe he’ll have a sweep for some of Falmouth’s best players! JBE in blue! I wouldn’t bet against it!!

magpie , I'd expect that comment from  Silly Billy ( I mean no harm Billy )👍😁 

JBE in blue 😁😂🤣

I don't think town have any plans to change their away strip .🤔

3 minutes ago, mattelot said:

magpie , I'd expect that comment from  Silly Billy ( I mean no harm Billy )👍😁 

JBE in blue 😁😂🤣

I don't think town have any plans to change their away strip .🤔

I agree, why would he want to leave Falmouth at the moment, you just know that Helston will more than likely throw cash at their problems 

1 minute ago, THEMAGPIE said:

I agree, why would he want to leave Falmouth at the moment, you just know that Helston will more than likely throw cash at their problems 

Why would he want to leave Falmouth Anyway ? Maybe throwing cash at their problems is the problem for helston .putting 9 players from devon in a hotel in truro the night before a 11am start at mousehole so they are refreshed and ready to go probably 800 - £1000, plus their match fees .And they lose 3-1 😁😂🤣 .Its western league not premier league

4 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Why would he want to leave Falmouth Anyway ? Maybe throwing cash at their problems is the problem for helston .putting 9 players from devon in a hotel in truro the night before a 11am start at mousehole so they are refreshed and ready to go probably 800 - £1000, plus their match fees .And they lose 3-1 😁😂🤣 .Its western league not premier league

Do you think Falmouth will need to add to their squad or have you already enough for a campaign in the western league? 

11 minutes ago, mattelot said:

I think your manager said that Falmouth needed players to be able to play at the level of their new league. Plus, the players that they already have will be one year older... Sounds like you'll be getting the ol' cashola out after all. 

Helston never really replaced Matty Buchan or billy tucker you wonder where they be if they kept both at the club. .  Bringing Matt wright in was a disaster the same with the olando signing.  and just disrupted the team  and Steve Massey stepping away for a lot of games seems to follow a run of bad results. 
they do need a younger midfield and a better striker to play up with bowker  

you have to think the league will be stronger next year as well 

39 minutes ago, THEMAGPIE said:

Do you think Falmouth will need to add to their squad or have you already enough for a campaign in the western league? 

The manager and coaching staff know what they need to do .In them we trust .

37 minutes ago, Devils@Dusk said:

I think your manager said that Falmouth needed players to be able to play at the level of their new league. Plus, the players that they already have will be one year older... Sounds like you'll be getting the ol' cashola out after all. 

No where near the Helston budget .Decent players want a chance of success .The 2 respective managers westgarth / massey records speak for themselves .

Personally, when teams obtain promotion, the main objective is to stay in that league in the first season without breaking the bank, and then work out what is needed to progress over the next few years. What’s the rush 🤷🏻‍♂️ Mousehole, Helston, Saltash and Millbrook have done fine IMO, unless they’ve put their club at financial risk for the next few seasons for the sake of trying to obtain promotion in their first season. 

Without knowing the finances behind each club it’s safe to say helston have spent the most this season and in my opinion should be in the top 5! 

The mousehole structure is still a little bit of a mystery in that nobody knows how they operate but nevertheless Jake has done a fabulous job even tho it looks like they may just come up short  

Saltash I’d bet have one of the lowest budgets in the top 7/8 teams but the core of their team have been together for a long time (similar to Falmouth) so have had a good season  

Millbrook have done great as they are on a real shoestring.  My big concern for them is will they get picked apart this summer with rumours already circulating that Shepard is off to saltash. 

what the above teams will have over falmouth next term is a years experience. They will know what’s coming and I think this is where Tavistock and exmouth have had the advantage.

expect Massey to go strong again this summer but as always his problem will be spending his endless resources in the right way?

I think saltash and mousehole will strengthen again and give good accounts of themselves next season but unfortunately I do fear a little bit for millbrook. 

whatever happens it will be another interesting watch. 

28 minutes ago, The Observer__ said:

Without knowing the finances behind each club it’s safe to say helston have spent the most this season and in my opinion should be in the top 5! 

The mousehole structure is still a little bit of a mystery in that nobody knows how they operate but nevertheless Jake has done a fabulous job even tho it looks like they may just come up short  

Saltash I’d bet have one of the lowest budgets in the top 7/8 teams but the core of their team have been together for a long time (similar to Falmouth) so have had a good season  

Millbrook have done great as they are on a real shoestring.  My big concern for them is will they get picked apart this summer with rumours already circulating that Shepard is off to saltash. 

what the above teams will have over falmouth next term is a years experience. They will know what’s coming and I think this is where Tavistock and exmouth have had the advantage.

expect Massey to go strong again this summer but as always his problem will be spending his endless resources in the right way?

I think saltash and mousehole will strengthen again and give good accounts of themselves next season but unfortunately I do fear a little bit for millbrook. 

whatever happens it will be another interesting watch. 

Seems like you DO know more about the finances of each club having read your post

38 minutes ago, le boss said:

Seems like you DO know more about the finances of each club having read your post

I see the Easter bunny delivered an Easter egg to each of the players kit lockers yesterday Bash .

REALLY !!! 

How old are they ?

Pre match Hotel rooms ,Easter eggs . Pampering to the extreme . Shame the Easter bunny didn't deliver 3 points .👍

13 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Helston never really replaced Matty Buchan or billy tucker you wonder where they be if they kept both at the club. .  Bringing Matt wright in was a disaster the same with the olando signing.  and just disrupted the team  and Steve Massey stepping away for a lot of games seems to follow a run of bad results. 
they do need a younger midfield and a better striker to play up with bowker  

you have to think the league will be stronger next year as well 

Helston naming two goalkeepers amongst the subs yesterday (Kieran Daughtery and Cory Harvey) seems to sum up the general feeling of shambles around the club. No doubt it will be another "kid in the sweetshop" summer for Massey with a lot of expensively acquired new signings, who will be feted at the time, but without much of a plan how they will be used and who will decide this (will the current managerial trio of Massey, Leigh Robinson and Dan Harrison remain in place). There must be a chance as well that one or two of the Helston youngsters make their way over to Falmouth (Phil Cattran, any idea what has happened to him?)

8 hours ago, mattelot said:

I see the Easter bunny delivered an Easter egg to each of the players kit lockers yesterday Bash .

REALLY !!! 

How old are they ?

Pre match Hotel rooms ,Easter eggs . Pampering to the extreme . Shame the Easter bunny didn't deliver 3 points .👍

I think some of their players have already had enough eggs! (Of the chocolate kind)

Think a top half finish in your first year after promotion is good for any team. Some of the clubs at the top are now well established clubs with a wealth of experience of Western League football. Let's just be grateful that we have so many clubs making the step up and with two more next season Cornwall is finally getting on the football map

On 19/04/2022 at 11:24, Way Of The Park said:

Helston naming two goalkeepers amongst the subs yesterday (Kieran Daughtery and Cory Harvey) seems to sum up the general feeling of shambles around the club.

Are we talking here about the club as a whole, or the first team?

If you mean the whole club, one could suggest your "shambles" is a touch over the top. The third team has just done the double with the Cornwall Combination League and Cup in the trophy cabinet for the next 12 months, and one of their women's teams are in the County final on Friday evening coming up at Sticker against Saltash.

Many a club across the county isn't going to get anywhere close to silverware this season.

I'm sure the club would also point out that throughout the season they are working behind the scenes to raise funds for various charities and that kind of thing, but lets keep to the football subject.

As for the first team, yes probably it has been a disappointment, and at times things have seemed, from the outside, that there is a state of confusion as to which direction Steve wants to go. Is it bringing in players from all over the place, or is it using the young players that they have at the club? I'm not sure Steve knows himself, but only he can tell us for sure.

Finishing 8th or 9th after stepping up, most would take that as satisfactory for the first season in a higher level league, but of course when you've got a high profile first team manager, better is expected. Alas as we know, money isn't everything and certainly can't guarantee success.

It's a shame perhaps, with hindsight, that the club didn't employ Piran Films to cover the season for the whole club, instead of just Steve and the first team, although admittedly the first team is the flagship. One to consider perhaps Mark?

But to say the club is a shambles - harsh!  

Is there no one on the successful 2nd team that is good enough to step up to the first team ? I mean it looks like helston have around 10-11 from Devon travelling down every home game. And often been short of players and called up on other players from Devon. 
I get the  argument of playing for the  senior team you then have to be a senior player. But surly the ultimate aim of the whole club is to get into the first team. ?? 

2 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

But surly the ultimate aim of the whole club is to get into the first team. ?? 

Probably not with so many "Devon travelling players" in it. This has been Steve's policy to to get players in from elsewhere and so it would appear he considers the reserves aren't good enough, or they don't want to play. Only they can answer your question accurately.

Helston's seconds are 11th currently in the St Piran League. It's the third team who have won their league.

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Probably not with so many "Devon travelling players" in it. This has been Steve's policy to to get players in from elsewhere and so it would appear he considers the reserves aren't good enough, or they don't want to play. Only they can answer your question accurately.

Helston's seconds are 11th currently in the St Piran League. It's the third team who have won their league.

You forgot the vets cup win Dave .👍😁

5 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Finishing 8th or 9th after stepping up, most would take that as satisfactory for the first season in a higher level league, but of course when you've got a high profile first team manager, better is expected. Alas as we know, money isn't everything and certainly can't guarantee success.

Perhaps this proves that good teams are built, not bought?

On 20/04/2022 at 21:52, cornish leg end said:

A disappointing season coming from a magpie fan right? Can’t even put a team out to fulfil a fixture? So called big club right! 

It’s disappointing yes but there’s so many positives happening around the Club, reserves have had a very good season by all accounts and possess some very good youngsters, the Club is having various improvements around the place as well, yes the first team have had a hard season but i firmly believe the good times will come back to Penlee, my dream would be to see Pz play in the Western league and again see a packed Penlee……….

maybe one day 

1 hour ago, THEMAGPIE said:

It’s disappointing yes but there’s so many positives happening around the Club, reserves have had a very good season by all accounts and possess some very good youngsters, the Club is having various improvements around the place as well, yes the first team have had a hard season but i firmly believe the good times will come back to Penlee, my dream would be to see Pz play in the Western league and again see a packed Penlee……….

maybe one day 

You have thought the good times have been coming back for the last 10 years. To many bigger clubs around you now playing a higher level of football that players want to play for. 

On 20/04/2022 at 14:46, Dave Deacon said:

Are we talking here about the club as a whole, or the first team?

If you mean the whole club, one could suggest your "shambles" is a touch over the top. The third team has just done the double with the Cornwall Combination League and Cup in the trophy cabinet for the next 12 months, and one of their women's teams are in the County final on Friday evening coming up at Sticker against Saltash.

Many a club across the county isn't going to get anywhere close to silverware this season.

I'm sure the club would also point out that throughout the season they are working behind the scenes to raise funds for various charities and that kind of thing, but lets keep to the football subject.

As for the first team, yes probably it has been a disappointment, and at times things have seemed, from the outside, that there is a state of confusion as to which direction Steve wants to go. Is it bringing in players from all over the place, or is it using the young players that they have at the club? I'm not sure Steve knows himself, but only he can tell us for sure.

It's a shame perhaps, with hindsight, that the club didn't employ Piran Films to cover the season for the whole club, instead of just Steve and the first team, although admittedly the first team is the flagship. One to consider perhaps Mark?

But to say the club is a shambles - harsh!  

Now Women’s County Cup winners too. There must be a case that in terms of Cornwall’s most successful *club* rather than *team* this season Helston are neck and neck with Wendron and behind only Falmouth.

Helston never had a settled team this season, too many swaps / changes have not helped. Having their talisman shipped out wide to accommodate another signing wasn't the greatest of moves and evidently cost them points, clearly tucker was a void that wasn't filled. All to play for next season :) 

1 hour ago, golong said:

Helston never had a settled team this season, too many swaps / changes have not helped. Having their talisman shipped out wide to accommodate another signing wasn't the greatest of moves and evidently cost them points, clearly tucker was a void that wasn't filled. All to play for next season :) 

So failure by the management and coaching team then ?.🤔

2 minutes ago, mattelot said:

So failure by the management and coaching team then .🤔

Wouldn't say it was a failure as such, finishing top half in a tough league is no failure... although if you were to give that squad of players to another "manager" or "coach" would they do any better? They seem to be getting it right with the reserves / women's teams :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2022 at 21:59, THEMAGPIE said:

you just know that Helston will more than likely throw cash at their problems 

You can guarantee it. They should be relatively pleased with their final position in their debut season but we know Massey will see it as a failure.