Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance Fixture Cancellation Disgrace.

What a disgrace to West Penwith when our self-appointed premier senior club, Penzance, disrespects the whole community by failing to turn up for fixtures. They have a reserve team: there is no excuse. This makes Cornish football a laughing stock. They should be relegated to a level concomitant with the decline in theur own standards, on and off the field. Appalling !

8 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:

What a disgrace to West Penwith when our self-appointed premier senior club, Penzance, disrespects the whole community by failing to turn up for fixtures. They have a reserve team: there is no excuse. This makes Cornish football a laughing stock. They should be relegated to a level concomitant with the decline in theur own standards, on and off the field. Appalling !

Is that their fault or their players? They had a manager quit halfway through and managed to survive until pretty much the very last hurdle. Didn't St Just plummet not so long ago only to start again?

As a club chairman I can see what a horrible decision to have to make, saying that YOUR club that you give endless amounts of free time for, is unable to play a match. There are hundreds of volunteers who don’t get given any recognition for the behind the scenes work they put in who I think would also sympathise with Penzance committees decision they’ve been forced to make, baring in mind this has probably cost the club a big chunk of valuable funds.

I send my best wishes to Penzance and hope they can ride out these difficult times and come back stronger.

1 hour ago, JonColenzo said:

As a club chairman I can see what a horrible decision to have to make, saying that YOUR club that you give endless amounts of free time for, is unable to play a match. There are hundreds of volunteers who don’t get given any recognition for the behind the scenes work they put in who I think would also sympathise with Penzance committees decision they’ve been forced to make, baring in mind this has probably cost the club a big chunk of valuable funds.

I send my best wishes to Penzance and hope they can ride out these difficult times and come back stronger.

Well said. This is a club currently in deep distress. The health of local football  depends on clubs and the volunteers that support them being treated with sympathy and understanding in difficult times. This part of Cornwall has already seen Porthleven very nearly go under this season. We can ill afford another. 

23 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

I wondered how long before you came out of your hibernation period, as mentioned previously your cherished team voluntarily plummeted down the leagues in a pathetic attempt to obtain junior silverware! Tough season as a Club but I congratulate those involved for seeing 99% of the season out.

How did the Praze matches pan out for you?

Good luck in the JUNIOR final as well, I’m sure you’ll be there? That’s if you’ve been relieved of your duties down at your much loved farm field scaring the cattle off the turf!

10 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

I wondered how long before you came out of your hibernation period, as mentioned previously your cherished team voluntarily plummeted down the leagues in a pathetic attempt to obtain junior silverware! Tough season as a Club but I congratulate those involved for seeing 99% of the season out.

How did the Praze matches pan out for you?

Good luck in the JUNIOR final as well, I’m sure you’ll be there? That’s if you’ve been relieved of your duties down at your much loved farm field scaring the cattle off the turf!

Thank you, Magpie. St Just cattle are fortunate enough to enjoy a more healthy diet than the hypodermic needles endemic at Penlee Park. I have several farm fields here in the Cotswolds, from which I will be delighted to donate a few sods to enhance the surface of your Ice rink. Just say the word. On Saturday, I believe St Just lost at Praze, having already won the League. Congratulations to the winners of the game on finishing a gallant second. I understand that, on the day, St Just were simultaneously engaged in defeating a group of highly paid professionals in a game of cricket. You may know about this already : I understand that one of these distinguished "Penzance" sporting visitors may even have links with the graveyard up at St Clare ! To return to the subject of football, a notable contrast is that the mere Juniors of St Just have the guts and integrity to turn out a team even for "meaningless" games, whereas your shower made a blatantly calculated decision that you were just far enough  above St Dennis to avoid relegation if deducted three points for a no-show. While it would be lovely to see the League make an example of you by throwing you out, the usual old Penxance political connections will save your corrupt effete, pathetic bacon. As so often in the past. No wonder Mousehole couldn't be bithered with taking you over. Who will you tap,tap, tap this summer instead ?

On 17/04/2022 at 08:35, JonColenzo said:

Agree with you totally Jon.

Loads been spoken on here about the existential threat local football from the various reasons that there just aren't the players and volunteers around anymore, chuck in the cost of living crisis and it starts to feel like a perfect storm is brewing. Cost to clubs of gas, electricity, petrol, insurance (you name it) pricing going skywards catches them on one side, then you will have spectator and clubhouse goers numbers and spends declining and potentially sponsors from businesses tightening their belts, or withdrawing altogether, on the other. And this is on top of two COVID wrecked seasons that have seriously damaged club's balance sheets.

Fear that we could see a domino effect of Cornish clubs folding, even some of the larger and more traditional ones.

Totally agree Jon , having been in the position of secretary , groundsman , team manager , payer of players fines etc  the things that as you say thousands of idiots do week in week out  trying to put back some of the pleasure you've had from the game as a player . I used to take it as an affront to me personally when we had to concede games through lack of players , particularly when I heard some of the lame excuses made for not playing .  To make matters worse the offenders were often the ones to throw their teddies out when you dropped them .

We have no connection with Penzance football club at all but wish them a full recovery from their present predicament for the sake of Cornwalls football fraternity.
Cheap rhetoric does no one any credit, even as seems to be the popular belief, if its described as banter.
This is not a pop at Penzance heirarchy in any way but the sucess of a club throughout the game depends heavilly on the amount of input available from backroom staff, and only then should the quality of players come in to focus.
In a nutshell a well committed number of unpaid volunteers is essential for any sucessful club involved in local football in Cornwall.
Make volunteer helpers a priority for your club, or it will suffer the financial consequences and lose their identity with their supporters, to a financier.
Good luck Penzance and if you agree with the above, don't wait for a knock on the door or phone call offering help, it won't happen, make the initial approach to an individual who will feel wanted and more likely to help his/her town.

• 2 weeks later...