Cornwall Football Forum

Junior Cup Final

I believe Cornwall Rugby League FC, who had a crowd of almost 1,500 in their first game on Sunday, are at home at 1pm at Penryn Rugby Club on May 1 against Rochdale Hornets. Wouldn't expect such a large crowd again but, along with those heading to the Junior Cup final at Penryn FC, it's going to be a busy old day up Kernick way!

58 minutes ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

I believe Cornwall Rugby League FC, who had a crowd of almost 1,500 in their first game on Sunday, are at home at 1pm at Penryn Rugby Club on May 1 against Rochdale Hornets. Wouldn't expect such a large crowd again but, along with those heading to the Junior Cup final at Penryn FC, it's going to be a busy old day up Kernick way!

Bring your own glass...lol.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

You should be concentrating on officiating not the burger van 😉😅😂

Cornish,  I wish I was, but I haven't got any duties for finals (long past my days of getting any more)

I also wish I could pop down to watch, but I'm away for a weekend celebrating my wife's birthday

Looking forward to tomorrows game, I predict a Nanpean win 5-1 with Jordy netting MoM and a hatrick, I think the Tinners will come unstuck with their basic long ball style of play which has brought them joy all season, a certain mr Ellis will need to be on form as he is basically their match winner, if the pre match interviews are anything to go on then Nanpean have it won already as the St Just manager came across a little rural to say the least!

Watching as a genuine neutral, this was a good advert for junior football, passion, challenges, and the inevitable mistakes.

Either side would have been deserved winners. I had a good view of the final penalty, and I thought the referee got a tricky decision right.

Didn’t really notice the referee, so he must of had a good game.

Pitch looked good and played well, the bit of rain that was falling, zipped it up just enough.

Only disappointing thing for the afternoon, was that a few inbreed Neanderthals from both clubs let there clubs down at the end. Quite honestly, I don’t know why they’re allowed out?

2 hours ago, Mrgreen said:

Watching as a genuine neutral, this was a good advert for junior football, passion, challenges, and the inevitable mistakes.

Either side would have been deserved winners. I had a good view of the final penalty, and I thought the referee got a tricky decision right.

Didn’t really notice the referee, so he must of had a good game.

Pitch looked good and played well, the bit of rain that was falling, zipped it up just enough.

Only disappointing thing for the afternoon, was that a few inbreed Neanderthals from both clubs let there clubs down at the end. Quite honestly, I don’t know why they’re allowed out?

Watched the game as a neutral today at my home ground. Cracking game between 2 teams that I'm sure will be top 3 of the league above next season once they are promoted. This is why being a ref is so hard, as I thought the defender got the ball & it wasn't a penalty.

I thought the scrap at the end only added to the drama to be honest, 1st slow motion fight fight I've ever seen 😂

18 minutes ago, Glen Patterson said:

Watched the game as a neutral today at my home ground. Cracking game between 2 teams that I'm sure will be top 3 of the league above next season once they are promoted. This is why being a ref is so hard, as I thought the defender got the ball & it wasn't a penalty.

I thought the scrap at the end only added to the drama to be honest, 1st slow motion fight fight I've ever seen 😂

With such fine margins on a crucial decision, credit is due to the St  just players in the manner they accepted it.

Slow motion fight".. Very 😂 

11 minutes ago, Mrgreen said:

With such fine margins on a crucial decision, credit is due to the St  just players in the manner they accepted it.

Slow motion fight".. Very 😂 

Accepted it because it was 100% a penalty! The reaction of the St Just captain told it all!

A cracking game of football,  proper junior stuff with a touch of quality about.

Nanpean technically the better team but St Just a great battling team, game could have gone either way on chances created but Nanpean shaded it for me. St Just with a couple of young un's up front and both were impressive, especially the number 7, going to do well when he's put a bit of meat on.

The two together  when close to each other looked the business and I would have played them that way rather than split onto the two wings...but I'm not the manager.

Referee and assistants first class, didn't know they were there.

Probably the best game I've seen for a few years, good old junior football,  thank you to both teams for an entertaining afternoon well organised and run by the CCFA and Penryn AFC.

As for the fight...fight...really! handbags was the only thing missing from that "punch up" lol.

53 minutes ago, Themanhimself said:

Shame fans had to ruin it by scuffling at the end. Brought a sour end to a great day at the club. 

Overreaction I reckon there! Pity the lads can’t hold their beer a little better.

Glad to say in my mind it’s the game that will be remembered longer. Both sides giving their all and the tie swinging one way and then the other.

It was decided by a coolly taken penalty in the end. Well done both sets of players and management.

12 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

A cracking game of football,  proper junior stuff with a touch of quality about.

Nanpean technically the better team but St Just a great battling team, game could have gone either way on chances created but Nanpean shaded it for me. St Just with a couple of young un's up front and both were impressive, especially the number 7, going to do well when he's put a bit of meat on.

The two together  when close to each other looked the business and I would have played them that way rather than split onto the two wings...but I'm not the manager.

Referee and assistants first class, didn't know they were there.

Probably the best game I've seen for a few years, good old junior football,  thank you to both teams for an entertaining afternoon well organised and run by the CCFA and Penryn AFC.

As for the fight...fight...really! handbags was the only thing missing from that "punch up" lol.

As a footnote as I've only just gone through the programme, excellent little programme with a wealth of information on quality paper.

Well done to the CCFA for that.

Further to other posters mentioning the punch up, no it wasn't,  it was no more than a handbags job that lasted less than a minute...beer talking that's all and quickly quelled by the other spectators and security men...got it on video, one person started it...idiot.

Seen worse in a 5 year olds playground. 

52 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

As a footnote as I've only just gone through the programme, excellent little programme with a wealth of information on quality paper.

Well done to the CCFA for that.

Further to other posters mentioning the punch up, no it wasn't,  it was no more than a handbags job that lasted less than a minute...beer talking that's all and quickly quelled by the other spectators and security men...got it on video, one person started it...idiot.

Seen worse in a 5 year olds playground. 

Was rather silly considering the banter between both sets of fans was really good all game,feel sorry for the women that had their kids there watching their partners play football.

Thought I’d better give my view on the Final yesterday as I know Isaac will be eagerly awaiting its content. Firstly superbly hosted by Penryn, fantastic looking playing surface and well organised throughout the day, still has to be one of the best grounds for a final in the County, just has something about it that feels special. The two teams put on a good final overall and it was well officiated, St Just as predicted were very direct in their playing style just lumping it long at every opportunity, they were definitely missing something in the midfield area as the two lads worked very hard but lacked technically and had very little quality on the ball which showed. Some strange goings on from the St Just manager as well in regards to some of the substitutions, weirdly taking off the youngster who was their best player at the time and the inability to make tactical changes at crucial times to see the game over the line. Nanpean I thought were a better footballing side with some tidy players, I liked the full back and the chap in midfield who looked comfortable on the ball, deserved winners on the day, I managed to catch up with some old faces which was nice, to finish it all off there was a punchup outside in the stand which was swiftly dispersed by security and a few supporters but hey it wouldn’t be a complete 90mins for St Just without some fighting involved would it Isaac! 

Great game full of exciting contributions from both sides. Congratulations to Nanpean on edging it with the penalty at the end of extra time that saved us from the lottery of taking about ten more. Seesaw natch in normal time, with Nanoean ahead after 20 minutes with a good header from number 11, who would go on to score a hat truck. George Harry's driven cross from the byline was deflected in for a St Just equaliser before half time. Nanpean went ahead after a defensive mix up and two brilliant saves by their keeper from Ashley Ellis and Neil Curnow, their number 8 shooting into the roof of the net. Jack Willis's penalty and  skipper Ashley Meagor's far post finish put St Just ahead for the first time before 11 scored for Nanpean with six minutes left, setting up the extra time drama. The best ref in Cornwall, Mr Philpott, had an impeccable game and was superbly placed to award what proved the winning penalty, so I respect his decision, while  wishing there was an opportunity to see it again on VAR. As for the post-match shemozzle, the excellent sense of the many admirable, strong women and men from both StJust and Nanpean who put a stop to it were a credit to both communities. Penryn AFC were brilliant hosts and the event was a credit to Cornish football. Thanks to all. Well worth the trip down. Great day. Don't know whether Magpie actually experienced it. Anyway, it's called a cup final, m8, and I hope you live long enough to see the boys from Penlee Park particioate in one ! Never say never !

16 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Great game full of exciting contributions from both sides. Congratulations to Nanpean on edging it with the penalty at the end of extra time that saved us from the lottery of taking about ten more. Seesaw natch in normal time, with Nanoean ahead after 20 minutes with a good header from number 11, who would go on to score a hat truck. George Harry's driven cross from the byline was deflected in for a St Just equaliser before half time. Nanpean went ahead after a defensive mix up and two brilliant saves by their keeper from Ashley Ellis and Neil Curnow, their number 8 shooting into the roof of the net. Jack Willis's penalty and  skipper Ashley Meagor's far post finish put St Just ahead for the first time before 11 scored for Nanpean with six minutes left, setting up the extra time drama. The best ref in Cornwall, Mr Philpott, had an impeccable game and was superbly placed to award what proved the winning penalty, so I respect his decision, while  wishing there was an opportunity to see it again on VAR. As for the post-match shemozzle, the excellent sense of the many admirable, strong women and men from both StJust and Nanpean who put a stop to it were a credit to both communities. Penryn AFC were brilliant hosts and the event was a credit to Cornish football. Thanks to all. Well worth the trip down. Great day. Don't know whether Magpie actually experienced it. Anyway, it's called a cup final, m8, and I hope you live long enough to see the boys from Penlee Park particioate in one ! Never say never !

Never mind Isaac, maybe drop down the leagues again and have another go?