Cornwall Football Forum

Mousehole v Keynsham OFF

36 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay said:

The issue there in South Somerset is that the Somerset County Premier league only has 4 teams in that dead area. Watchet, Chard (who can’t be promoted) Middlezoy and Ilminster. 

The rest are all in surprise surprise around Bristol or North Somerset. 

Yes, that's pretty much it, isn't it? Together with the Dorset Premier being strongly gravitated towards Bournemouth and Poole. 

It’s a shame the debate over travel comes up again. Cornish clubs seem to have enjoyed the chance to step up, you can tell it’s a step up too with the ground requirements and physical side to games.

I looked forward to joining the clubs Cornwall clubs have only been able to look up the leagues too in the past.

it’s great all our sides have gone up and done well.

2 hours ago, hills19 said:

It’s a shame the debate over travel comes up again. Cornish clubs seem to have enjoyed the chance to step up, you can tell it’s a step up too with the ground requirements and physical side to games.

I looked forward to joining the clubs Cornwall clubs have only been able to look up the leagues too in the past.

it’s great all our sides have gone up and done well.

I have to say that, living in Exeter, the arrival of Cornish teams - and, progressively, more from Devon you assume - has certainly pepped up my interest in the Western League.  Saw Torpoint go top in the Peninsula on Wednesday night and I'll make another trip there should they get promoted.

Bit of a soft spot for Buckland Athletic - interesting how they could yet finish the lowest of the eight Cornwall and Devon clubs.

Not sure about future Devon step 5 clubs. Brixham giving it a good consistent shot over a few seasons. Okehampton have impressed me - well, I did see them beat Torpoint and Falmouth. Influx a couple of summers ago of local players returning from Willand Rovers but no signs of ground improvements yet?

Ivybridge faclng more competition for players with Plymouth/East Cornwall clubs doing well but must still be one of the more likely. Possibly scope for an Exeter area club to push on - Cullompton?  

Lived in Somerset for twenty years from the late 1980s and watched a lot of Western League football at Taunton Town. With restucturing the bigger clubs from North Somerset, Bristol and  Wiltshire  have moved upwards and, last year, another group were shifted across to the Hellenic. Of that group of nine in this year's Western Prmeier (Bridgwater and beyond) it strikes me that only Bridgwater and Clevedon are potentially upwardly-mobile. Street over-reached themselves - I'm sure 'sponsorship' funded their brief success. The rest are probably step 5/6 and, to be fair, are not too well-equipped for extra travelling or being able to compete on the pitch with more 'progressive' clubs from the west.      

Sherborne top of Western One; Wincanton in contention too. Given they're both near the A303 - and Bristol trips are relatively slow - they may be pretty good fits for the Western Premier. 

On 08/04/2022 at 17:58, Easterfield said:

I have to say that, living in Exeter, the arrival of Cornish teams - and, progressively, more from Devon you assume - has certainly pepped up my interest in the Western League.  Saw Torpoint go top in the Peninsula on Wednesday night and I'll make another trip there should they get promoted.

Bit of a soft spot for Buckland Athletic - interesting how they could yet finish the lowest of the eight Cornwall and Devon clubs.

Not sure about future Devon step 5 clubs. Brixham giving it a good consistent shot over a few seasons. Okehampton have impressed me - well, I did see them beat Torpoint and Falmouth. Influx a couple of summers ago of local players returning from Willand Rovers but no signs of ground improvements yet?

Ivybridge faclng more competition for players with Plymouth/East Cornwall clubs doing well but must still be one of the more likely. Possibly scope for an Exeter area club to push on - Cullompton?  

Lived in Somerset for twenty years from the late 1980s and watched a lot of Western League football at Taunton Town. With restucturing the bigger clubs from North Somerset, Bristol and  Wiltshire  have moved upwards and, last year, another group were shifted across to the Hellenic. Of that group of nine in this year's Western Prmeier (Bridgwater and beyond) it strikes me that only Bridgwater and Clevedon are potentially upwardly-mobile. Street over-reached themselves - I'm sure 'sponsorship' funded their brief success. The rest are probably step 5/6 and, to be fair, are not too well-equipped for extra travelling or being able to compete on the pitch with more 'progressive' clubs from the west.      

Sherborne top of Western One; Wincanton in contention too. Given they're both near the A303 - and Bristol trips are relatively slow - they may be pretty good fits for the Western Premier. 

Very interesting post. Always good to read about what is happening Devon wise in step 6, and how these clubs may progress and any potential ramifications. The very nature of this forum is that it is Cornish based, so many people on here (myself included) know little about the likes of Brixham, Okehampton and Ivybridge.

5 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Always good to read about what is happening Devon wise in step 6, and how these clubs may progress and any potential ramifications. The very nature of this forum is that it is Cornish based, so many people on here (myself included) know little about the likes of Brixham, Okehampton and Ivybridge.

Thank you for that. Until I had a look on Full Time I'd not realised that four of the Willand Rovers team that won the Western League, and reached the quarter-finals of the FA Vase, were from the Okehampton area and are now playing for their local club.

A future unknown quantity in Devon may be Exeter University who have just won their section of the Devon League. No Peninsula application this season nor lights at their Topsham ground; nor, I wonder, are the changing rooms close enough?  But if there's a will, they may have their own ways of securing finance.   

Windmill of Plymouth play at Millbay Park which appears to be a better facility than the ground of Mount Gould who play at a level higher. Not sure where either may fit in the "bubbling under" category.  Best also not to forget that in the St Piran and Devon leagues it's perfectly possible to play and be successful without having to go for promotion. 

1 hour ago, Easterfield said:

Thank you for that. Until I had a look on Full Time I'd not realised that four of the Willand Rovers team that won the Western League, and reached the quarter-finals of the FA Vase, were from the Okehampton area and are now playing for their local club.

A future unknown quantity in Devon may be Exeter University who have just won their section of the Devon League. No Peninsula application this season nor lights at their Topsham ground; nor, I wonder, are the changing rooms close enough?  But if there's a will, they may have their own ways of securing finance.   

Windmill of Plymouth play at Millbay Park which appears to be a better facility than the ground of Mount Gould who play at a level higher. Not sure where either may fit in the "bubbling under" category.  Best also not to forget that in the St Piran and Devon leagues it's perfectly possible to play and be successful without having to go for promotion. 

Think you can discount Windmill (or any of the Plymouth sides), there just aren't the facilities in the city to sustain even a step 6 side. Elburton Villa and Bolitho Park are the only two grounds above park standard (the council owned park pitches and facilities are, on the whole, pretty dire).Years since I've been there, but Millbay Park was even then a once grand, but now a bit tired, ground.  The playing standard isn't far above Sunday League level as well, especially since Mount Gould moved to the Devon League via the East Cornwall Prem. My contacts who have extensive knowledge of football in the city  bemoan the dearth of quality amongst players at the moment. They cite mediocre players who seem to move regularly around clubs in the Plymouth area at step 6 level, who just aren't good enough but are needed to bolster playing numbers .

Plymouth and District side, Bar Sol Ona, who then changed their name to Plymouth Sol FC, had ambitions of going through the leagues. Believe they applied to join the old Peninsula League Division One, but had it rejected on the grounds that the Ernesettle Lane pitch that they played on was not large enough and could not be easily expanded. They merged with Plymouth Parkway before the 2015/2016 season under the stewardship of chair Mark Russell, and the rest is history.

Ernesettle Lane now being used by Lakeside United in the Devon League.

Went to Millbay Park on a sunny day towards the end of last season. Would make for a good 'home' for a club playing at Devon League standard as well as a pleasant place to watch a game on a Saturday afternoon.

That would put it into contrast with an awful lot of Plymouth & West Devon football which is now played on artificial surfaces. Fine for the player but not necessarily for the spectator.. Throughout the country that's very much the way city football is going at district level and Plymouth is probably quite lucky to have these facilities. You suspect some grass pitches are hardly ever used these days.

Millbay Park, fabulous pitch, but you cannot improve the facilities.  The facilities are own by the MOD, so the use of the facilities is not guaranteed contract is renewed each season.  So it would be a possible problem if you applied to join the Devon League.  Definite could not go higher as you would need floodlights and upgrade the changing rooms.  Just to update you WIndmill have not played at Millbay Park this season as the facilities are now being used by the MOD.

I do agree there are no facilities in the Plymouth area, apart from Elburton Villa and Bolitho Park that would allow club to progress further in the pyramid

2 hours ago, hedgerow said:

Just to update you WIndmill have not played at Millbay Park this season as the facilities are now being used by the MOD.

Thanks for that; missed it! May explain Windmill being accepted by the Devon League last summer but pulling out before the league started.

Think they've applied again. Have been using Bull Point according to the South Devon League Full Time.

10 hours ago, hedgerow said:

Windmill have re-applied to join the Devon League, but they will not be using the facilities at Bull Point, same reasons as Millbay Park.  They need to finish as high as possible in the SDFL to stand any chance of joining the Devon League

I'll reply on the Devon Football League thread in case I go off on another tangent! 

2 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

From Friday’s match report on the Mousehole AFC website: “Mousehole ([have been] awarded the three points following Keynsham Town’s failure to fulfil their away fixture earlier this month”.

https://www.mouseholeafc.co.uk/match-report-helston-good-friday-2022/

It would help if the league updated their Full-Time site!