Cornwall Football Forum

DIVING! plain cheating or nice peice of skill???

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deliberately trying to deceive the referee with diving is cheating. No different to a professional foul.

Good players dont need to dive and cheat. They have the ability to win a game with their skill.

More divers should be carded to cut it out the game.

I mean come on. Anyone remember Rivaldo and his antics? It's so wrong.

Throwing yourself to the floor like an Olympic gymnast is not football.

Its cheating. And cheats shouldn't prosper.

well mr cudlip personally think its clever,and no different to say standing over the ball to deliberately slow the other team down.i think you should try help your team win by whatever way possible.people just dont like it when its done against them,though rarely complain when their own player does it to earn them a penalty.

dont get me going on this one . diving or as the rules state it simulation is one of the most least punished acts in football . and as for referees clamping down on it thats a laugh it happens every week and even when the culprit does not get the penalty or free kick the refs just play on . come on referees caution these cheats . if they were cautioned for it then maybe the frustration of opposing players wouldnt boil over .

No need to even debate this speedy. If a player is legitimately fouled or tripped, he will have no other choice than to go down because gravity can not be fought. If a player goes down deliberately, he IS cheating and should be punished accordingly.

I personally don't see why players are so quick to go down because in my opinion it just makes them look g a y.(that is not a slur upon homosexuality). I personally hate the thought of letting an opponent think that they have hurt me, so much so that I finished a game with a broken skull. To go down like you've been shot and squealing in apparant agony will only end up with you being ignored by the referee (remember the boy who cried wolf).

No need to even debate this speedy. If a player is legitimately fouled or tripped, he will have no other choice than to go down because gravity can not be fought. If a player goes down deliberately, he IS cheating and should be punished accordingly.

I personally don't see why players are so quick to go down because in my opinion it just makes them look g a y.(that is not a slur upon homosexuality). I personally hate the thought of letting an opponent think that they have hurt me, so much so that I finished a game with a broken skull. To go down like you've been shot and squealing in apparant agony will only end up with you being ignored by the referee (remember the boy who cried wolf).

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

well said coopsie

Just ask the Oxfordshire player who got his second yellow on Saturday for doing the same, chucked himself on the floor right in front of the ref who, to his great credit, stopped the game (we thought he'd given the penalty) and produced the second yellow for simulation.

I had no sympathy for him at all and personally I feel it's the scourge of our present game.

Don't really like to have a go at people here on the forum as we've all got a right to our views, but if you think cheating is clever and are prepared to condone it, then the game's finished.

Jake when you dive like a fairy and cheat the ref understandably takes a dim view of it.

So when you are genuinely fouled but the ref does not give a penalty dont be surprised.

That's what you get for diving like pansy instead of being a man and standing up on your own two feet.

A skillful player like yourself doesn't need to con referees into awarding a spot kick.

There is no difference between a defender hacking the sh*t out of you to stop you scoring and you diving. Both are cheating and contrary to the rules of the game.

And I agree with Coopsie. It does make you look mighty bent!

Why spent all that time in the gym putting the muscle on if your just going to fall over like a leaf in the wind?

Like Coopsie, I'm a Spurs fan, and I think it was last season one of our players conned a penalty out of a ref against Portsmouth to give us the win.

I have to say I was embarrassed and ashamed at the time and if I could have turned back the clock I'd have stopped it even though it would have meant dropped points.

If you con the ref and con other players by cheating, don't complain if you get a bit of rough treatment because you deserve it!

A DIVE IS CONCEIVED AS A CHEAT A FOUL IS CONCEIVED AS A CHEAT A HAND BALL IS CONCEIVED AS A CHEAT AND SO ON AND ON ECT. DO WE NEED TO CHEET WHEN PLAYING THE GAME, AFTER ALL IT IS ONLY A GAME. WE ALL WANT TO WIN AND IF YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH YOU SHUD WIN WITH OUT CHEATING... AM I MISSING SUMFIN HERE??? :SM_carton:

well interesting and i understand tommys views but as a player i was coached to defend the space not the ball cut across the tackle and the player has to take u first you read the tackle and go over the defender only sees the ball as he tackles so you go across him its not his fault your just a bit sharper , Now is that diving or good coaching ? and yes id expect a wack next time tommy, just be interesting to hear the views from defenders and forwards , and i think i just might still have the bruise from ur next tackle tom lol hope ur ok and good win over the weekend will catch up soon metts

Guest crosser

im gone carry on diving thanks though if i play against you coopsie i doubt il need 2 dive lol!!

speedy your not the sharpest tool in the box are you! just remember that some referee's view this forum as well.

Guest artificiosus

jake

were is the skill in diving

playing in a good junior team like you do you shouldnt need to dive.

you nearly got me sent off last season when you dived i didnt touch you.

also people watch football (any standard) to be entertained not to watch people fall over to cheat they want to see good football.

there is a skill in getting a free kick with out diving it is the non contact diving that has to be sorted out and banned there is a massive difference in the two things ,ask any forward at the top level . its the non contact diving that has to be addressed and my view on sat the porstmouth defender fouled ronnie is was obstruction at the least , he used his body to check the run with no thought of the ball and yes ronnie went down but he was at pace and prob 2 stone lighter it was a foul as was the first one inside the first min, the defender changed his direction to put his body between the forward and the ball and that is obstruction at the very least, if ronnie ran into him and the defender is stronger and heaver than the forward thats the forwards fault , but the defender changed direction and blocked him so a foul or obstruction one or the other ! any one got any views on west broms third goal was that offside the forward was standing 30 feet offside and from had to be affecting play because he scored the goal i think that was a really bad shout from the ref, the bristol defence pushed up knowing he was offside they coach all week to play as a unit then that happens ????????????????????? and what are the views on that from the refs , come on dermot give me your views and tommy being a first class defender what would you say besides calling me a jammy f ker as i ran back and gave u a wink lol , and yes prob another bruise on the way metts.

Not offside, the west brom player was running back towards the halfway line and was not running towards where the ball was landing also was far enough away from play as not to be interfering with play so not offside. Also he could not be offside from when the defender headed the ball towards him, I will admit an unusual incident but the correct decision by the officials. As to diving ,it`s cheating no other way to describe it and if it happens in any of my games it is dealt with by a caution for unsporting conduct.

IT WAS DEF OFSIDE DUE TO THE FACK HE WAS IN PLAY AND SCORRED THE GOAL, EVEN IF HE HAD LAID THE BALL OFF TO ANOTHER TO SCORE HE WAS STILL OFF SIDE. THE ONLY 2 THINGS I CAN SAY IN HIS DEFENCE ARE, THE BALL WAS PLAYED OFF A DEFENDER TO HIM! AND WAT A FINNISH HE HAD LOTS TO DO AND DID IT WELL.

OFF SIDE GOAL SHUDNT COUNT...

HOWEVER THE BAGGIES WERE A MUCH BETTER SIDE AND DESERVED TO GO THRU.

this season i have dove 3 times had to yellows and had alot of people laughing at me i only do it when my team is 5-6 up as a joke and if i got a pen would happily smash it over......but i agree with speedy its an art you try making it look good when you are 6ft 14 stone :o

I can't believe some of the contributors to this thread!

Cheating is good if I get away with it?

What a load of rubbish? Anyone with half a brain ( I guess that lets off a couple of you.) would realise that as soon as we condone cheating, that's the end of the game as we know it.

I really don't like some of the people that defile this beautiful game.

I love playing football. The game only exists because it has rules. No point at all in winning by cheating.

"Speedy Gonzales" - the brain of a mouse? I'm sure he laughs when his team loses to a cheat.

I TOTALY AGREE BILL, WE ALL HAVE A MOAN WEN THINGS DONT GO OUR WAY, BUT TO TRY AND GET SUMFIN FOR NUFFIN IS NOT A WAY TO WIN A GAME. WE PLAY THIS GAME FOR PLEASURE AND FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME, DIVES AND ANY SORT OF CHEATING SLOWS THE GAME DOWN AND RUINS IT FOR OTHER PLAYERS WHO WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL :thumbsup:

well heard your partial to a bit of legcrunching

:D:lol::thumbsup::yahoo: .. Well I have no idea who you've been talking to but if anyone from my club or anybody that's played against me has had a read of the above post, they will be in bloody stitches mate. Moi partial to a bit of legcrunching :unsure: , I should coco.

oldasitgets, please don't tell me we're actually agreeing on a topic?.

One last thing Speedy Gonzales and anybody else that think it's ok to dive or CHEAT. Rather than only thinking of yourself or the points your cheating MAY gain for your club, Think about the poor player who may be sent off because of your cheating. Think about the fact that he will be missing a month of football, think about the £35 you could be denying his family because of the fine HE will incur because of your dishonesty and deception.

Guest postman pat

speedy eventually when you grow up you will realise how irresponsible your comments have been to all the honest people involved in football.

if you have to cheat to win at anything then that thing is not worth winning :SM_carton:

every time your team has a contentious descision from now on every referee worth his salt will give that descision to the opponents because you have laid the seeds of doubt in their minds.

i hope you are proud the way you have let your team mates down :clapper:

A defender gets sent off for a proffesional foul if he is the last man and he brings down an opposition player. Fair enough.

A player who is found to deliberately dive from a challenge from the last defender should be red-carded (in my opinion) as thats the punishment that the last defender would get if the decision should go the other way.

Players who dive - You are cheats and a disgrace to our beautiful game :SM_carton_y:

Players who brag openly about diveing and describe it as an artform - You are morons, time to grow a brain :SM_carton:

Well, perhaps not, but i feel my point still stands. A diving player should walk in that instance as should the defender if he commits the foul. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

I think judging by the responses of this topic, we all agree that there is no place in football for diving.

Also to the people on this topic admitting simulation (getting technical now :P ) i hope there are a lot of referees reading your posts so they can punish you for your dirty habit in future. :c:

A defender gets sent off for a proffesional foul if he is the last man and he brings down an opposition player. Fair enough.

Players who dive - You are cheats and a disgrace to our beautiful game :SM_carton_y:

Players who brag openly about diveing and describe it as an artform - You are morons, time to grow a brain :SM_carton:

A defender doesn't have to be 'the last man' to see the red card.

No place for divers in this game at any level

Stig is right you know. The "last man" rule is no longer applied. It now depends on whether a clear goalscoring opportunity has been denied. This was the question asked when Kuszcak was sent off for Man Utd at the weekend because there were two players beyond the keeper(Rooney and Anderson).

Thank god for Goals on sunday :c:

Guest Dermot

Well said Coopsie,not nice for a player if they are unfortunate enough to get sent off as a result of a player diving. :glare:

I just cant believe someone could come on the site and condone diving,then say its an artform. :SM_carton:

this season i have dove 3 times had to yellows and had alot of people laughing at me i only do it when my team is 5-6 up as a joke and if i got a pen would happily smash it over......but i agree with speedy its an art you try making it look good when you are 6ft 14 stone :o

like arsene wenger im retracting my statements :SM_carton_y:

Ok, ok, you guys, i get the point! Lets not dwell too much on that! lol

You understand where im going though right? If a defender is in a position in which he walks for making the foul (goalscoring oppurtunity, whatever) then, if the player then deliberatly dives (therefore trying to get the defender sent off) then i think that that player should be sent off as his punishment. I think it would be a fari ruling and make players think twice about diving, especially when through on goal. Do you know what i mean?

As a final thought, to the kids reading this post, eat your greens, do your homework and whatever you do, dont dive! :SM_carton: :c:

Ok, ok, you guys, i get the point! Lets not dwell too much on that! lol

You understand where im going though right? If a defender is in a position in which he walks for making the foul (goalscoring oppurtunity, whatever) then, if the player then deliberatly dives (therefore trying to get the defender sent off) then i think that that player should be sent off as his punishment. I think it would be a fari ruling and make players think twice about diving, especially when through on goal. Do you know what i mean?

As a final thought, to the kids reading this post, eat your greens, do your homework and whatever you do, dont dive! :SM_carton::c:

thats all good but i bet there would be far less diving fouls given as the ref wouldnt like to put his neck that far on the line

I absolutely agree A One And A Six. Infact I think that a player who dives should be given a much more severe punishment than a player who either made an unfortunately mistimed challenge to concede a penalty or even a player that just couldn't bare the thought of an attacker scoring and blatantly brings him down(I mean by way of a trip etc, not with a two footed leg breaker of a challenge).

Cheating in any sport is nothing short of sickening. To do it in "the beautiful game" is in my opinion UNACCEPTABLE. Give them a three game ban for the dive and then give them another MINIMUM three game ban for bringing the game into disrepute. :angry2:

I can`t beleive that this is a topic that needs debate but I might as well put in my personal opinion as an "elder of the village"

If it happens in a game then a ref should have the power to send the player in question off without question. It`s pathetic, degrading, embarressing to the team, officials and supporters, it is the lowest form of cheating, it is frowned upon by anyone who has a real interest in sport of any kind and apart from the fact that it makes you look like a real tit, nobody really thinks it has a part to play in our beautiful game!

McHugh 2008

what happens if the players trips over a bobble(can happen alot on a mining 3 pitch)the ref sends him off

if he trys to appeal who is going to belive him?i can assure you there will be no video proof in lower league football!! :SM_carton:

An HONEST player will instantly say to the ref that no foul was made and show the divot that they tripped over. I can't clearly remember but I think Robbie Fowler did it years ago when it looked like he was fouled for a penalty. He got up quick as you like and made it abundantly clear that no foul had taken place. The result was a goal kick and nothing but plaudits in the paper the day after for the honesty shown. As I said, I'm not 100% sure it was Robbie fowler but you get my point.

I hate losing BUT I'd rather be an honest loser than a sickening, cowardly cheat.

Always nice to stick ur rod out!!

Not if it's in a team photo for a local newspaper. ;)

what happens if the players trips over a bobble(can happen alot on a mining 3 pitch)the ref sends him off

if he trys to appeal who is going to belive him?i can assure you there will be no video proof in lower league football!! :SM_carton:

An HONEST player will instantly say to the ref that no foul was made and show the divot that they tripped over. I can't clearly remember but I think Robbie Fowler did it years ago when it looked like he was fouled for a penalty. He got up quick as you like and made it abundantly clear that no foul had taken place. The result was a goal kick and nothing but plaudits in the paper the day after for the honesty shown. As I said, I'm not 100% sure it was Robbie fowler but you get my point.

I hate losing BUT I'd rather be an honest loser than a sickening, cowardly cheat.

Always nice to stick ur rod out!!

Not if it's in a team photo for a local newspaper. ;)

fair enof but you no what some refs can be like they wont give you enof time to even do that! :o

the jokes on you boys

i went fishing and looks like i caught me alot of fishies!hahahaha

It's only last week we were talking about you being a bit of a wind up merchant mate.

The only problem is, I think this certain wind up could well end up biting you on the bum?. Whether tongue in cheek or not, you will be doubted every time you go to ground. Andy Johnson of Everton springs to mind and Ronaldo at the weekend SHOULD have had a penalty. Unfortunately, they "made their bed" in the past with stupid dives etc and now a ref has no option but to think twice or doubt the sincerity of the fall.

You could well end up suffering a similar outcome?.

Do you play with Kev Toy by any chance?. :c: