Cornwall Football Forum

Who goes up?

Tavistock: Clevedon, Saltash, Bitton, Buckland, Bridport, Exmouth, Ash & Back

Exmouth: Helston, Bridgwater, Bridport, Millbrook, Tavistock +1 tba but I’m not sure who it is 

Mousehole: Helston, Bitton, Keynsham, Wellington, Helston (again), Ash & Back, Keynsham (again) 

1st go up automatically. 

Top 10 Step 5 runners-up on PPG go up automatically, the other 6 have to play-off against a Step 4 team. Before this weekend’s fixtures Mousehole would have been 12th out of 16 runners-up on PPG but haven’t looked again since Saturday. 

21 minutes ago, The Observer__ said:

Saltash - street, tavistock, shepton, millbrook street and Brislington. 

Questioned it a few weeks ago about if saltash could make A late charge?  Looking at the fixtures for all the sides I think they can. 

They've dropped 10 more points than tavi and only have 6 games left so it would be the biggest upset ever if they managed to come top

12 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

Tavistock: Clevedon, Saltash, Bitton, Buckland, Bridport, Exmouth, Ash & Back

Exmouth: Helston, Bridgwater, Bridport, Millbrook, Tavistock +1 tba but I’m not sure who it is 

Mousehole: Helston, Bitton, Keynsham, Wellington, Helston (again), Ash & Back, Keynsham (again) 

1st go up automatically. 

Top 10 Step 5 runners-up on PPG go up automatically, the other 6 have to play-off against a Step 4 team. Before this weekend’s fixtures Mousehole would have been 12th out of 16 runners-up on PPG but haven’t looked again since Saturday. 

Not sure how which of these are home and away, especially midweek. The Bath and Bristol area sides don't enjoy long midweek trips, especially those in mid table with little to play for. Could be a factor.

If I was forced to place my 10p anywhere, I would go for Exmouth.

Let’s look at the fixtures objectively. 

I think to win the league you’ll need 74 points minimum. It’s the missing fixture for Mousehole v Keynsham which becomes critical as I can see the points ending up for top 4 from 71, 72, 73 and 74. 

But loose or draw one unexpectedly and you’re down into the high 60s for 4th. 

When you factor who you’ve to play Mousehole have an horrendous run in. Helston twice, Bitton, Keynsham on the plastic and Ashton who aren’t no bottom 2 side on Saturday showing.

Tavistock have to play 2 top 4 sides plus Bitton away and Buckland. 

It’s all very interesting and a top 4 of the old SWPL sides gives some indication of how the pendulum has swung away from Somerset in this league. Long May it continue! 

32 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Let’s look at the fixtures objectively. 

I think to win the league you’ll need 74 points minimum. It’s the missing fixture for Mousehole v Keynsham which becomes critical as I can see the points ending up for top 4 from 71, 72, 73 and 74. 

But loose or draw one unexpectedly and you’re down into the high 60s for 4th. 

When you factor who you’ve to play Mousehole have an horrendous run in. Helston twice, Bitton, Keynsham on the plastic and Ashton who aren’t no bottom 2 side on Saturday showing.

Tavistock have to play 2 top 4 sides plus Bitton away and Buckland. 

It’s all very interesting and a top 4 of the old SWPL sides gives some indication of how the pendulum has swung away from Somerset in this league. Long May it continue! 

Slight echoes of the South Western League season of 2006/7. Going into the final Saturday St Blazey, Liskeard and Saltash were all potential champions. Would be great to get to the final day of the Western League season with the trophy in a car sat in a service station somewhere on the A38/M5.

Helston are team both exmouth and mousehall will not want to face at the minute at all. Maybe a month ago when they were all over the place struggling to score and keep clean sheets but that is a tough game for both.

my money still on Tavistock if they can get a result at home to Saltash  they had a wobble but I still fancy them to get the results. 

17 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Comfortable win for tavi tonight I see . Pressure on tomorrow for mousehall to get something at helston. 

Suddenly 5 points clear again. If Mousehole lose tonight, and Tavi beat Saltash on Friday night, then themselves and Exmouth would be 8 points behind at kick off on Saturday. To use a cricket term, a bit of scoreboard pressure.

Never saw tavi as underdogs they always had a competitive team. Just always seem to be in parkway shadow a little or 1 step behind them. To be fair on the budget they have and the fact they lost some key players from the team they done really well. But you could say the same with helston. Lost a lot of good players and still had a decent season.  

6 minutes ago, CornishHopper said:

If you look at peoples prediction for the league at the start of the season, Tavi was no where most peoples :)

Presumably you don't mean the pre-season predictions on here - only a handful commented and so one can hardly go by such a small number!

1 hour ago, CornishHopper said:

If you look at peoples prediction for the league at the start of the season, Tavi was no where most peoples :)

You're quite right. Many people, myself included, thought that Tavi wouldn't be in the leading pack. Remember even Stuart Henderson bemoaning the way that preparations had gone (losing Matt Andrew to Parkway on the eve of the new season was something in particular that he saw as a setback). 

56 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Bit of a hammering for Saltash tonight. Not really the close game people expected.  Tavi look to have found form right at the best time. 

Two away fixtures in 3 days, compared to two home fixtures in 4 days wouldn’t of helped Saltash causing an upset at Langsford Park this evening. 

16 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Two away fixtures in 3 days, compared to two home fixtures in 4 days wouldn’t of helped Saltash causing an upset at Langsford Park this evening. 

Can’t be using that as an  excuse. Saltash have a big enough squad to cope . 

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

A deserved win for Tavistock, but I wouldn’t exactly describe it as a hammering!

4-1 i was expecting a much closer match then that. 
i don’t understand Dane comments of blaming the league for his players getting injured. Every team had games to catch up on , this is the joys of playing teams in a league from Bristol.  

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Can’t be using that as an  excuse. Saltash have a big enough squad to cope . 

No excuse intended, but regardless of squad sizes at any level, the fixturing is questionable, as even at a professional level you don’t see teams play in the Europa League on a Thursday and then have a game on the Saturday. If was deemed ok by football administrators across the board, why don’t leagues fixture more games with a 48 hour gap ?

1 minute ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

No excuse intended, but regardless of squad sizes at any level, the fixturing is questionable, as even at a professional level you don’t see teams play in the Europa League on a Thursday and then have a game on the Saturday. If was deemed ok by football administrators across the board, why don’t leagues fixture more games with a 48 hour gap ?

Who asked for a Friday night  fixture ?  I guess it’s done to maximise gate money for decent crowd.  So I assume saltAsh agreed. 

28 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

4-1 i was expecting a much closer match then that. 
i don’t understand Dane comments of blaming the league for his players getting injured. Every team had games to catch up on , this is the joys of playing teams in a league from Bristol.  

The two game in two days thing I guess. I don’t know the ins and outs to player welfare so don’t want to/ can’t comment myself on that. Always think get on with it when I see Premiership clubs say it.

On the fixture scheduling, Tavi had been moved to the Friday agreed by both. Street postponed a couple of times was put in on the Wednesday, fan talk is they couldn’t play Tuesday due to work. By then too late to move Tavi? Parkway and Argyle at home Saturday coming into it? Tavi losing potential crowd?

im surprised the league fixtured two like this and couldn’t then make either Saturday or Street Tuesday being the two in two days things when three was option. If originally fixtured when saltash were still in les Phillips cup maybe the only potential week and to help all clubs get games played?

On last night. Tavi were good. Yes Saltash have had a good March. We’ve seen Tavi at the top for a long time now though, they maybe showed last night why. Chances and take them instantly, the game is gone by half time. 

43 minutes ago, Westcountry boy said:

I get Danes grievance but please look to the Forthcoming fixtures for the the last nine days of the season .... Tavistock are away Bank Holiday Friday,  home Bank Holiday Monday, away Wednesday,  home Saturday... I know it will effect performances but you have to roll up your sleeves and get on with it.... 

Tavistock will have the league wrapped up by then and so won't matter!

• 2 weeks later...

Huge week ahead

Tavistock: 72pts +54

Buckland (A), Bridport (H), Exmouth (A), Ashton and Backwell (H)

Exmouth: 67pts +48

Bridport (A), Millbrook (H), Tavistock (H), Shepton Mallet (A)

Mousehole: 66pts +43

Helston (H), Ashton and Backwell (H), Keynsham (A) (assume they’ve been awarded the home win against Keynsham)

I would say that Tavi have one hand on the Western League trophy now (and can also start planning for Southern League life). 4 wins on the spin with a nice boost to the goal difference column and their immediate rivals faltering, has put them right back in the driving seat. Could potentially have it sown up before that awkward trip to Exmouth in the penultimate game.

Looking at the respective run ins for Exmouth and Mousehole, looks like Kevin Hill's side are favourites for the promotion play off spot.

I agree that the title is effectively Tavistock’s now, and deservedly so - the league’s strongest team and most consistent. 

The only hope for Mousehole now is that they win all of their remaining games and the challenge for Exmouth of playing four games in nine days (Fri / Mon / Weds / Sat) proves too much. As a Mousehole fan though I wouldn’t be able to be-grudge Exmouth second place - they were the better team against us over our two games, and we’ve drawn 3 of our last 4 games which simply isn’t promotion form.

It would need tavi to have the worse collapse ever to lose this title.  Buckland have gone right off the boil and the players are on thier holidays already. Bridport is a definite 3 points. I think it will be too late for exmouth by the time tavi visit. Can’t see anything else but Tavistock as champions. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

It would need tavi to have the worse collapse ever to lose this title.  Buckland have gone right off the boil and the players are on thier holidays already. Bridport is a definite 3 points. I think it will be too late for exmouth by the time tavi visit. Can’t see anything else but Tavistock as champions. 

Pretty sure Buckland are unbeaten in their last 3 games.

Hopefully they have a few players who are on holiday!! 

If I’m reading the NLM Forum right it looks like the FA have moved the goalposts again and there will now be only nine automatically promoted 2nd placed Step 5 teams (instead of ten) with seven (instead of six) now having to play off against Step 4 teams. The slim chance that either Exmouth or Mousehole had of leapfrogging from 12th to 10th in the PPG table has now become an even slimmer requirement to leapfrog to 9th. (Will be delighted if someone tells me I’ve got this wrong.) 

1 hour ago, GaryHocking said:

If I’m reading the NLM Forum right it looks like the FA have moved the goalposts again and there will now be only nine automatically promoted 2nd placed Step 5 teams (instead of ten) with seven (instead of six) now having to play off against Step 4 teams. The slim chance that either Exmouth or Mousehole had of leapfrogging from 12th to 10th in the PPG table has now become an even slimmer requirement to leapfrog to 9th. (Will be delighted if someone tells me I’ve got this wrong.) 

No, Gary, I think you've reading it the same way as me. All a bit speculative, unofficial and some difference of opinion; you wonder if anything will be confirmed until 24 April. It's all a knock-on effect of some teams apparently failing ground gradings. 

My understanding is that, in future, the second-placed step 5 teams will play-off against poorly-placed step 4 teams. Because there are spare places this year the FA are trying to excuse some teams from having to play-off. The only problem is that the number of teams awarded this privilege is changing all the time. 

7 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

No, Gary, I think you've reading it the same way as me. All a bit speculative, unofficial and some difference of opinion; you wonder if anything will be confirmed until 24 April. It's all a knock-on effect of some teams apparently failing ground gradings. 

My understanding is that, in future, the second-placed step 5 teams will play-off against poorly-placed step 4 teams. Because there are spare places this year the FA are trying to excuse some teams from having to play-off. The only problem is that the number of teams awarded this privilege is changing all the time. 

Thx Easterfield. Seems to break the golden rule that you don’t change the rules of a competition halfway through that competition but … it’s the FA so which of us is really surprised? You’d think that two step 4 teams failing ground gradings (plus Whyteleafe resigning from the Isthmian South Central) would make it easier rather than harder to get promoted from Step 5 but … again … it’s the FA so it’s hard to really be surprised.